I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 13 April 2014

Dare to Live!

Hello all!  Well, I'm back from Ally Pally, and not quite bankrupt, though I have invested in some more DecoArt chalk paints after the fun I had with my chalky spice rack.  Met up with lots of lovely people too, of course!

The tags I'm sharing with you today are the results of a quick bit of playtime with Artistic Outpost stamps and some new Distress Paint colours - Tattered Rose, Dried Marigold and Worn Lipstick.... yup, pink, basically.  Seems to be featuring more regularly these days...





I decided to do a compare and contrast using the same colours in Distress Stains too... so after some wrinkle-free distress technique I ended up with four tags.

Two are Distress Paints (on the left) and two are Distress Stains (on the right).  I always end up with at least two tags to play with when I do the wrinkle-free game.  Mopping up always creates an extra one!

So I took one D.P. and one D.S. to play with and Artistic Outpost's Flower Market stamp set.












I did some Distress Ink stencilling using the Crafter's Workshop Specimen mask and Prima's Lace Trim Background.













The butterflies are done using Sienna and Plum Archival inks.  These are the ones on the Distress Paint background.















I blended both inks onto the stamp, and then stamped three times in succession on each tag...












... following the shadow stamping idea set by Tim Holtz with his March tags.  I've become a bit addicted to it!













These three individual photos are of the Distress Stain versions.













I added some extra background texture with the gorgeous Gothic typescript from the Birds of a Feather plate, stamped in Potting Soil.














And the sentiment comes from the Kudzu Kafe set, again stamped in Potting Soil and clear-embossed for extra definition and glossiness.














I've added some of the lavender from the Flower Market plate around the foot of the tags - it's such a pretty, delicate stamp.








Natural raffia and some curled paper string finish the tags off...










I like the subtle differences between the two finishes (D.P.s left, D.S.s right).  The Gathered Twigs used to ink around the edges takes much better on the Distress Stains than on the inks, so you get a more strongly defined brown tinge.


And the stencilling and stamping have a touch more clarity against the Stains, but a rather nice soft subtle look to them on the Paint version.

These are all things I know at the back of my mind, but it was nice to have them side by side and really take note of the variations.






These tags have now made their way to my best friend who is in the midst of daring to change her life and head towards her dream...

Used as bookmarks over the next few months, I hope they'll help to keep that dream in focus.






Thanks so much for stopping by today... I know I keep promising I'll be catching up with visiting - it really will happen one day very soon!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.
Colin Powell

55 comments:

Alida said...

wow great work and what a nice colors

Helen said...

great tags... hope you are going to share what you got at Ally Pally, we need to see, lol!!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fab tags Alison, I love those gorgeous colours and those fabulous butterfly stamps. Glad to hear you all had a great time at AP x

SiódmyAnioł said...

Beautiful tags, colors such wonderful!

Corrie Herriman said...

All 4 are wonderful ! Glad you had a nice time !
Corrie x

Clare Lloyd said...

Fab tags, enjoy your new stash from ally pally!

froebelsternchen said...

fantastic tags Alison!

Redanne said...

Love your tags, great stamping of the butterflies and the colours are lovely. Saw a picture on (the dreaded) facebook, it is lovely of all of you! Anne xx

Brenda Brown said...

Stunning tags Alison, beautiful colours and fabulous stamping. Lovely to see you toad will email you a photo. Xx

Carol Q said...

beautiful colour combination Alison and I love those butterflies.

Anneke said...

Love your tags. They look so sweet and delicate. Anneke.
www.annekescardart.blogspot.com

pearshapedcrafting said...

These will surely spur your friend on to make a decision on her direction-they are truly beautiful, such lovely colours. Chrisx

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh Alison, love this comparison, wonderful to see and this is a combination of pinks (and browns) I adore!! Beautiful tags all of them! Brenda and I are sitting here together and I nearly cried with laughter after reading her comment. You'll probably guess she meant today!!

Nan G said...

Lovely softness to your tags, butterfly. Enjoy all your new stash.

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great idea to compare the Paint with the Stains Alison...There is a difference..but I like both tags. I didn't buy any DP, I thought I have so many other stuff to colour with..oops...
Enjoy the good work you do :-)
Kind regard, Alie

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great idea to compare the Paint with the Stains Alison...There is a difference..but I like both tags. I didn't buy any DP, I thought I have so many other stuff to colour with..oops...
Enjoy the good work you do :-)
Kind regard, Alie

Anonymous said...

Very, very pretty tags Alison.
Wishes
Lynne

massofhair said...

Not too pink Alison, thank goodness... Two beautiful Tags, love them both:-) xxx

Paper Profusion said...

I like these pink moods of yours Alison. These are very lovely and interesting to learn your product findings. Good luck to your friend. Have a good week. Nicola x

Meggymay said...

Love the pale pink shades, the tags look lovely.
Yvonne

Netty said...

to come away from Ally Pally with money left in your pocket is a great achievement, just seen a photo of you on facebook enjoying yourself...
Great tags and good to see the difference in inks. Annette x

sally said...

Lovely tags & an interesting experiment Alison! Hope you had a fab time with all your pals at Aly Pally..

Sally

maria's knutselplezier said...

Your tags are wonderful Alison, they bothe look great I love the softnes of your colours and the beautiful butterflies!!and what a great quote!!Super!!

Greetings
Maria

Deborah said...

I'm liking your pink phase, Alison. Where will you go next on the colour wheel?

Julie Lee said...

Sorry that our paths didn't cross this Ally Pally! These tags are so beautiful! I don't know which I like best the distress stains or the paints: I love the delicate and subtle tones of both!I so need that 'Flower Market' stamp. It's going on the list, which seems no shorter since AP!!! Shadow stamping does look amazing on them and it is so suited to these exquisite ethereal images. Lovely, inspiring work. Julie Ann xxx

Marci said...

Interesting. I haven't used Distress paints much, nice to see the experiment. Both are very pretty with your stamping and stenciling.

cathylynn said...

Thanks so much for showing us the compared techniques. Both results are wonderful and your tags are awesome!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Juliz Design Post said...

Love this colour palette you have used and I am not a pink person either, but I do love tattered rose. Julie x

Maggie said...

Pretty in Pink Alison lovely tags.

MaggieH

Silvia(Barnie) said...

These are wonderful tags.

Kasia said...

Oh, I love them! Fabulous tags, Alison! Shaded butterfiles look so beautiful!

Lucy Edmondson said...

I love these colours Alison, and I love the lavender with the butterflies and the embossed wording. I don't have any of the dps and wonder if frescos would give the same results as I like ink over frescos,

Lucy x

May said...

Hi Alison, Love the pink phase... The butterflies are so beautiful & all the stamping... I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Ally Pally... Hugs May x x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic tags Alison, The colours are gorgeous. Great to see you & Laura at AP yesterday.

Dianne said...

This is an EXCELLENT post Miss Alison, I love you showed us both techniques, I'm an ink girl all they way I find them much easier to work with like the results better too, I think I have to get used to the paints :). No matter what colors you use you use them beautifully, I loved all of you pink creations, your words are always an inspiration as well as your creations,always top off perfectly, thanks for sharing, I saw the photos at the Alley Pally, I saw a glow all around you artist a CREATIVE GLOW, it was amazing. Have a wonderful week, ((( BIG HUGS)))...

sam21ski said...

Fabulous tags Alison, loving the double take on them.

Think everyone came back bankrupt from Ally Pally from what I can gather - hehehehe!!

Sam xx

Yvonne said...

GORGEOUS tags Alison! Love the colours and stamps, the butterflies, the grasses, which you all use in such a delicate way. Beautiful!

Sue said...

They're both beautiful tags Alison, I really like the softness of the paint, but also the clarity of the stains. Glad you had a good time at AP, I'll get there one year.... xx

Hettie said...

These are gorgeous Alison. Love the colours you have used. That sentiment is great.
Glad to hear you enjoyed AP.
Hugs
xx

Cocofolies said...

The two sets are really GORGEOUS, and I love the subtle variations you have perfectly explained and showed, although we always loss a bit when seeing only the photos... But that's great work, very very interesting, TFS Alison! Hugs, Coco xxx

Michelle said...

Very pretty! I'm certain that your friend will love these. I do!

Margik said...

Lovely and delicate tag. Fantastic!

Cocofolies said...

Another set of stunning tags, I love your fabulous colours and stamping whatever the products used, either paints or stains! But it's very interesting to compare and share your feelings... Thank you very much for this too Alison. Bises! xxx

Ellie Knol said...

These tags look great!

Renee said...

Great tags! They inspired me to get my stuff out and play with the fading butterfly technique. Thanks!

hazel said...

Beautiful tags, the colours lovely.
xxx Hazel.

barbarayaya62 said...

I was really back with your work! but I'm recovering!! This, too, like all the others is wonderful!BArbarayaya

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Beautiful! Happy Easter!

Jools Robertson said...

Gorgeous pink versions, love the colours you have stamped the butterflies in, such pretty tones

Jools x

Kezzy said...

Wow Alison so much pink lately lol. Mind you, your pinks look gorgeous as they always have the vintage pink feel. I really love the contrast of both the tags, the soft of the paint but also love the vibrant stamping of the stains. Awesome gorgeous tags, I love your playing time as I get to learn so much. :-) Kezzy xxx

scrappymo! said...

This is wonderful! Love the different ideas for the two tags. My neighbour has the paints so will show this to her. Perhaps we will try the paints next time...as i finally got a bit inky over at mine! lol

Princess Judy Palmer said...

When I saw the pink I was sure I had come to the wrong place. I like what you can do with pink. I have to say that I don't see a difference between the Distress inks and paints on your original tags. Then I think the differences are very subtle on the finished product. Both are so pretty and will make a nice present for your friend.

Sandy said...

I really wish you would quit being so prolific - I can't keep up!!! But yet I have to try. I don't want to miss a thing!!
Sandy xx

mytawnyinspirations said...

Love the tags, Alison. Certainly are some subtle differences between the two products. I haven't had much play with my DP's yet so am looking forward to doing so. Love the sentiment and butterflies. Cheers, Di

Unknown said...

Just stumbled across these looking for Tattered Rose Distress Paint and they caught my eye, they are so pretty and has convinced me that I need that pink in my life lol xx