I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 1 July 2021

Summer Countryside at Art Journal Journey

Hello all!  I'm so happy to be back with you all, and very excited to share the reason for my return... I'm delighted to be the host this month at Art Journal Journey.  I'll be here throughout July to share some journalling pages on my chosen theme: Summer Countryside.

There are more details over at Art Journal Journey itself, and of course I have an inspiration page today to start you off.  I know I've been away for a long time, with only occasional appearances, but I'm looking forward to reconnecting with lots of you here in Craftyblogland this July, and I can't wait to see what you create in response to the theme.  Here's my first offering...

It will come as no surprise to any of you that my first visit to the Summer Countryside is focussing on the wildflowers and meadow grasses which I love so much.  And there's even a nod to last month's theme of butterflies, with all these beauties fluttering around the page!

When the AJJ team invited me to host (way back in late 2020), I was so honoured.  But with a house move in the offing at the time, I wanted to choose the latest of the suggested dates.  I thought that by choosing July 2021 I would be giving myself loads of time to move all my stuff to a new country, unpack and sort out my new craft space.


As it turns out, I've only just reached the operational stage in the craft room - still waiting on some shelving and the final unpacking but I'm 95% there.  I'll share that journey another time... I'd rather focus on the Summer Countryside for today.

This page is the first thing I've created in the newly unpacked and organised space.  (Full disclosure - I have made things in this room before when I've been here to stay, but with only a travelling stash at the time.). I'm still refining exact positioning of supplies, so I kept things simple on the page.  (Sorry - no process photos... I'm not quite back in the swing of that part of the game yet!)


The journal is a cheap one, bought in bulk, and the paper is not very sturdy, so I've glued pages together to create a stronger substrate.  Next step was to gesso the paper - it's not really intended for wet media, but I'm not letting that stop me!  A good coat of gesso will prepare the way...


I tore some strips of wide washi with delicate script and used them to create some vertical structure around which to "build" my meadow.  Some simple ink-splattering - Broken China, and my first little experiment with Salvaged Patina - creates a summery sky in the background.


I layered my stamping of Tim Holtz's Wildflowers (using some of the Mini Bouquet small versions too for perspective and depth) in various Archival and Distress colours.

The labels, numbers and postmarks are from the Field Notes stamp plate, which seemed appropriate, given we're wandering in a field, making art journalling notes!

The quote is from one of my latest collections for PaperArtsy - EAB22 Summer Edition - full of quotes about summer... my guess is you'll be seeing some more of the quotes included in action as the month progresses!


And those butterflies are from a Tim Holtz sticker book.  I'm pretty sure it's a Halloween-themed sticker book... not sure why the butterflies are in there, but I'm happy they are!

The little sequins are just there to capture some summer sunshine and reflect it back at you.

So, that'll probably do for today.  I do hope you'll be inspired to come and play along at Art Journal Journey this month.  I'll be back soon with another inspiration page, and in the meantime I'm looking forward to visiting you and seeing how you're exploring the Summer Countryside in your art journals.

Thank you so much for stopping by today and happy crafting all!

All in all, it was a never-to-be-forgotten summer... one of those summers which, in a fortunate combination of delightful weather, delightful friends, and delightful doing, come as near perfection as anything can come in this world.
L.M.Montgomery

27 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a glorious and inspiring first entry for your theme this month. I love what you have created and how you explained each of the elements. No need for process photos when both words and close-ups can explain it all. Thank you for being our host this month at Art Journal Journey. I look forward to much more of your incredible art, too.

Helen said...

Great to see you creating again, with some beautiful wildflowers too! I look forward to a tour of your new surroundings when you get time!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, love all the beautiful 'Butterfly' details! Glad you are starting to emerge from your chaos, and looking forward to seeing more of our work this month. Hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I am also happy that you are back and the hostess for the month of July.
Have a good time and your journal is so adorable again with the butterfly symbol of summer.
I hope you went well with your move and that something comes back to rest in your new home! Hugs -Elke

nwilliams6 said...

Super fun to have you as the AJJ host this month, Alison. The theme is fabulous and I love your page. Great quote and so many special details in teh background, stamping and design. Almost makes me want to go lay in the grass. I say almost because it is the middle of summer out her in rural Alabama and I would be covered in sweat (high humidity) and bugs (they are terrible) within 5 mimutes! Glad you are settling in and getting back to your blog. Great page and scene.

Fonda said...

Great page! Glad to see you again!

My name is Erika. said...

WE're very glad to have you at AJJ this month Alison. And your page is amazing. I feel like I am in a summer garden. I like how those butterflies pop up off the page. This is a beautiful way to start the month. Have a wonderful July. Hugs-Erika

Sue said...

This is really lovely Alison. Perfect words as always, and the fraying fabric looks wonderful. I'm really glad that you're nearly there with the unpacking, it must have been quite a challenge! Take care and have a very happy July, Sue xx

Neet said...

As always Alison, a beautiful page. I love the delicateness about it - something you always manage to achieve and which I long to do. What a beautiful topic for the challenge.
Now to get my head working but it may. have to wait until i return home - limited supplies (although you would never know with the big. box I brought with me)
Lovely to see your work again - I have missed you.
Hugs, neet xx

Meggymay said...

It is a beautiful journal page Alison and its lovely to have you hosting this month at Art Journal Journey, you have chosen a wonderful theme for the month.. Your page shows your love of the countryside and the beauty that nature shares with us.
Yvonne xx

SewPaperPaint said...

Hi Alison, I'm so glad to hear that you are almost settled and ready to craft. I always delight in your beautiful creations and this page is no exception! The addition of soft orange is really uplifting! I am finally in a better place with life in general and look forward to enjoying your blog posts much more now. Big hugs and thanks for keeping up the inspiration, Autumn

Abbeybufo said...

Good to see you are nearly unpacked and organised - when we saw it nearly 2 years ago, your future craft room was just an empty space - but with so much potential! Hope everything is coming together well now for you and Gil.

Lys said...

A beautiful and fresh AJ page. I love this countryside feel, It seems you settled in a peaceful place.

Nan G said...

A beautiful page to start a new journal, new summer in a new home. It’s like looking at a beautiful field I want to explore. Have a wonderful month. Hope the remaining sorting, unpacking and settling in goes smoothly for you. Hugs, Nan

Let's Art Journal said...

So pleased to see you back and that you are settled in your new home 😀. Your page is so delightful, I love the flowers and butterflies and the wording is perfect too! Happy July! Hugs, Jo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

What an absolutely beautiful page - that quote is a must have! So pleased you are feeling as though you are almost sorted now. Glad that you can be our host this month - looking forward to seeing more pages! Hugs, Chrisx

Annie said...

Stopping to watch all walks of life is never a waste of time. Your journal page is so summery. I just want to crawl into it and be surrounded by all that beauty. This page is a wonderful inspiration for the month.

Cestina said...

Fantastic to see the craftroom's potential now being exploited at last! It's been a long hard haul but may you be deeply happy there, creating ever more beautiful objects of art. xxx

Cocofolies said...

Great to see you creating again, starting with this simply exquisite page with some of the flowers you love the more, the wildflowers! And in delicate shades of blue... Great quote, I love everything on this simple page Alison.
Happy Summer and crafing again more!! xxx

Christine Alexander said...

fantastic journal page, I love all the summer flower and pretty little butterly. I was so happy to see your post today, I've missed seeing your wonderful creations ♥

sally said...

Gorgeous start to a new theme and a new studio to work in :-)

Sally xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

So glad to see you @ AJJ as host this month Alison, I know what an upheaval it must have been moving from country to country. I'm struggling moving my crafty stash from one room to another hee hee but i'm happy to read you are nearly there. What a beautiful theme, full of everything I love with those extra attention to detail, so pretty..
Wishing you a wonderful Sunday full of sunshine & creativity Tracey xx

Craftyfield said...

Nice to see you back in blogland Alison! I am fond of cow parsley (in stamp form!) and I love wild flower meadows... and butterflies too, so your page couldn't disappoint. Looking forward to more... x

DigiDaddy World said...

These images are so beautiful
Love this

Karen Dunbrook said...

love this...wonderfully done
x Karen

Diana Taylor said...

Oh this really is utterly delightful. I have just been for a walk through meadowland this morning and you have captured the abundance of Cow Parsley and butterflies perfectly - I love this so much! The words are perfect for it, although hayfever prevented me from lying on the grass!!

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Alison! xx