I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 18 July 2021

Nature's Paintings

Hello all.  I hope you are well and enjoying a peaceful weekend.  I'm here with another page for the Summer Countryside theme I'm hosting over at Art Journal Journey this month.  This time I've been imagining someone spending time wandering through meadows, finding somewhere peaceful to sit and read for the afternoon before heading home again... gathering wildflowers and grassy stems as they go, to take a little of the summer countryside home with them.

I'm still working in the square 8x8inch journal, but this time I've almost covered the bright white page.  There are some book page fragments (the book that's being read), and some of the kraft wrapping paper I've been using to decorate some of my craft room storage (old fruit crate makeovers - to be shared here some time soon).

I quickly brayered on some watery white paint and then did some spattering with Speckled Egg and Salvaged Patina Inks and Oxides.

I upped the inky splotchiness on a couple of tags - Speckled Egg, Salvaged Patina with added Peeled Paint - which I then ran through the BigShot with some of the lovely Tim Holtz Wildflower Thinlits.

I gathered my stems into a little posy and tied them with fine twine (fiddly and a bit messy, but that's fine by me).

I added some extra pencil detailing and also some shading around the stems to make them pop a little better against the busy background.

The strip of lace and added book page rolling hills also serve to set the flower stems apart from what's behind them.

I knew which quote from my new PaperArtsy EAB21 Nature Edition set I wanted to use.  I think this image of Nature painting beautiful pictures for us is magical... a reminder to always pay attention to the works of this master creator.

It's stamped in Salvaged Patina Oxide and clear-embossed (protection from any future moisture, but also a lovely way to catch some light and add a tiny extra bit of dimension).

The insects flying around are, unfortunately, an inevitable ingredient in any afternoon spent outdoors in nature (I'm dealing with multiple mosquito bites at present - but I don't think these are those evil creatures!!).

Funny how a butterfly is always an exception from the anti-insect sentiment.  I'm always happy to have one of those come and sit nearby, or even on my arm.  


This one is from the Idea-ology Field Notes ephemera pack, and has a little metal number brad keeping a tally of how many butterflies have fluttered by.

I added a bit of leafy stamping in Salvaged Patina Oxide to bulk out the posy a bit (being an Oxide, with pigment as well as dye ink in the mix, it shows up well against the kraft too)...


... and I'm pleased with how that simple bit of pencil work gives the daisy some shape and depth.

A little bit of white splattered paint freshens things up like sparkling sunbeams lighting up dewdrops, and that's pretty much that for this page spread.  I hope you like it.

I've got a little behind with visiting the entries at Art Journal Journey, but I'm looking forward to catching up again in the next couple of days.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've all been celebrating about the Summer Countryside - and do come and play along if you haven't already.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'll see you again soon.  Have a great week, everyone.

I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it.
From As You Like It by William Shakespeare

I'd like to share this page at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge where they are playing a theme of Frilly and Funkie... I've got lace and flowers for the frilly, and I hope the metal and glossy embossing adds a touch of funkie!

I'm just in time to join in with the Lazy Days of Summer over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - finding a quiet spot in the meadow to read and then gathering some wildflowers to take home... that's enough activity for a lazy day, right?!

18 comments:

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love the soft grungy background with the pretty flowers and insects, it's very reminiscent of a summer countryside - perfect 😁. Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Alison, with a lovely quote that's so true.
Hope you're having a good weekend.
Alison xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Another fabulous page Alison, nature is really the best artist! have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

Gorgeous page, Alison!

Bonnie said...

We are neighbors in the gallery at TFJB so I wanted to drop by and say Hi Neighbor. You so nailed the theme. So far I am not journaling, still just creating cards. But with your inspiration I can see it maybe in my future.

My name is Erika. said...

This latest page is another beauty Alison. I love the story behind the page, and how you used book pages and that pretty stamped craft paper. There's just enough details to really make this page interesting to look at. It's been a great challenge so far, and lots of fun to make pages for. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Janna Ketchum said...

Beautiful journal spread! Love the flowers and the touch of lace. Thank you for joining the Funkie Junkie Challenge!
~Janna

Meggymay said...

A fabulous page for your AJJ theme Alison. I love the detail and its a page that I would like to be able to touch if I could, its a lovely quote you added as well.
Yvonne xx

Sue said...

What a beautiful page, I love the book fragments in the background. Take care and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Christine Alexander said...

so pretty, I love all the layers and your beautiful die cut flowers ♥

Neet said...

Such a pretty page, reminiscent of a summers day in England with the sun shining and the bees and butterflies flitting about.
I wish I could have a day like that just now as a break from this heat that we are experiencing - we are just not used to it here.
Hope you are enjoying your new home and its surroundings.
Hugs, Neet xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm incredibly behind visiting, too, Alison. I hope to catch up today, though. I love everything about this, including the die cuts and the kraft paper background. I really like how you tied the flowers together. So clever. Thanks for sharing this inspiring entry with us using your theme at Art Journal Journey,

Craftyfield said...

I just love the soft colouring, like a Vintage journal from a Victorian lady, bleached by the sun and the passing years... x

Cocofolies said...

I love your composition Alison, your quote that perfectly matches your wonderful painted bouquet... Gorgeous new page, thank you for the glorious details as usual.
I'm sorry that I didn't play with your theme that I love you know, at Art Journal Journey... But I'm just back from holidays, and so so busy again.. :(
I hope you are having a beautiful Summer in your new life and home!
Hugs,
Coco xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is such lovely - an air of gentleness but the touch of bold with the bees and the dark button and butterfly! True inspiration - I need to see if I can get moving on another page now our series of appointments here, there and everywhere are over! Hugs, Chrisx

nwilliams6 said...

Alison, this is fabulous. Loved seeing your process and loved how you thought through this. Definately cool! That lace is perfect too.

Jenny Marples said...

Oh gosh another beautiful journal page Alison. It's delicacy and subtle colouring capture the feel of summer fields so well. Thank you for joining us again at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog xx

Laura Gilhuly said...

Beautiful! Love all the elements!