I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 4 July 2021

Spending some time in the countryside

Hello all and happy 4th July, if that's something you're into!  I'm back with another page for the theme I'm hosting at Art Journal Journey this month - Summer Countryside.  It would be lovely if you came to spend some time in the country too... find all the details here at Art Journal Journey.

I'm working in a 7.5 x 7.5 inch journal, with pages glued together for extra strength, and today's page has some simple collaging over a countryside view painted very simply with inks and paints.

I liked the idea of the naturalist out for a country walk, gathering specimens (examining them and releasing them, of course... not taking them home to pin them on boards!).

The background started with some Distress Inks and Oxides (including Speckled Egg and Rustic Wilderness, but I'm not sure what else any longer), and then I used Fresco Acrylic paints to give a bit more definition and weight to the hills.

There are some Field Notes ephemera and Idea-ology journalling cards forming the basis of the collage and a little bit of lace to add texture and lightness.

Time spent in nature is precious, so the clock is there to celebrate whiling away the hours in peace and contemplation of the flora and fauna around.  I was delighted when these clocks arrived.  I thought I was ordering flat stickers - they turned out to be beautifully dimensional glass cabochons, with lots of different clock face designs.  And they were an absolute bargain.

This leaf has been hanging around for ages, moving from one country to the next with me.  I'm so pleased it has finally found its way onto a piece of art before it gets lost!

The butterfly and the beetle are also from the Field Notes ephemera...


I really hope they never discontinue these packs.

And the Clippings stickers are another favourite for me - it's so nice finding the right phrases to suit my mood.

I used a meadow grass stamp to add some leafy trees to the rolling hillsides.  I thought it would be a nice way to have some wild grasses involved but without them being grasses!


Tiny little butterflies from the same stamp set flutter around the edges of the collage, and the frayed lacy edges also add movement.  

And that's that for my second contribution to inspire you to join in with my Summer Countryside theme at Art Journal Journey this month.  I hope to see you there.

I'd like to share this page at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog challenge where they would like us to be inspired by the quote "Time has a wonderful way of showing us what really matters," and include a clock or timepiece... time spent in nature matters so much to me - it's a chance to get some perspective on the craziness of life, so that's what I'm celebrating with this page. 

I'm enjoying the most perfect tranquillity, free from all worries, and in consequence would like to stay this way forever, in a peaceful corner of the countryside like this.
Claude Monet

26 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a fabulous journal page, Alison, just like the country is in summer. Have a great week! Valerie

sirkkis said...

A wonderful art journal page full of beautiful and interesting details.
Thank you for sharing xx

DigiDaddy World said...

This is soo beautiful. I wish i could be this artistic
Love this

Helen said...

Glad you are getting some crafty time again! Fab page.

Meggymay said...

A fabulous inspiration page for your AJJ theme Alison. So many great nature related details and layers. I smiled when I read that that your leaf had found a home after travelling so far.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm always in awe of your incredible layered art. I love how you take us through all the elements of your fabulous page. I first saw the clock which drew my eye into the scene. Thank you for another inspiring entry using your theme at Art Journal Journey.

Unknown said...

Love this page! Your colour palette is the same as mine. Love everything about your work Alison! Enjoy your Monday.

Andrea Small said...

Love the depth you've created here. That little clock is gorgeous AND I've learned a new word! What a day! Andrea xx

Craftyfield said...

Such a beautiful page, Alison! I love the Field notes too, never managed to get my hands on them yet! And the domed clocks… where did you get those? x

My name is Erika. said...

I love how you created a beautiful scene and then added the collage on part of it. They work together so wonderfully. The clock is really a great dimensional piece also. I love all the details and your white speckling too. This is beautiful Alison. Hugs-Erika

sarascloset said...

Alison, it's my first visit in such a long time, and what a breath of fresh air! Love your natural AJP from the water color background to the perfectly balanced collage. I especially love the wisp of lace. Just so pretty and reminiscent of our walks in the meadows around Capon Springs, where we shall be headed in less than a week. Good to have some time to pop in today!

Karen Dunbrook said...

stunning...love!!
xx Karen

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous page Alison xx

Cocofolies said...

This is really a wonderful page Alison, I love it, colors, hills, meadows and all the details so much. Thank you for being still there! xxx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love your countryside scene and how you incorporated the lace amongst the ephemera - perfect 😁. I hope you're having a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

Sue said...

What a beautiful page, so full of interest. The Speckled Egg really is a lovely colour. Take care and have a very happy week, Sue x

WendyK said...

Fabulous, love the way you have put it together.

Laura Gilhuly said...

Gorgeous! Love the little clock and your background work! Thank you for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique

Neet said...

What a beautiful composition Alison. I love the colour palette you have used too, definitely a beautiful summer's day.
Hugs, Neet xx

Diana Taylor said...

Another beautiful piece that just sings to me - the colours are gorgeous and I love the leaf - you have found the perfect home for it.
Diana xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is a fabulous, romantic journal page, Alison! i love your idea on the subject!
Have a happy time, hugs Elke

pearshapedcrafting said...

Such a lovely page - almost as uplifting as actually taking a walk amongst those trees! I love that splodgy start to your page and how your collage pieces came to rest there! Hugs, Chrisx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous and dreamy for sure!

Tera Callihan said...

Beautiful art journal page!! I also love the field notes pack! Thanks for joining us in The Funkie Junkie boutique challenge

Jenny Marples said...

It feels like you are breathing out and taking a moment with this journal page Alison - such gentle, calming colours and with all those naturalist elements, a real sense of purpose too. What fun to be hosting a journal course too! I don't know how you manage it all but you invariably do. Hoping things get a little less crazy and more organised. Thank you for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique challenge blog xx

Crafting With Jack said...

Congratulations on your win at the Funkie Junkie, love your collage.