I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 31 July 2020

Change your life






Hello all, and thank you so much for your lovely comments on my Rusty Rustic Houses.  I'm here today with a considerably shorter post!

It's one of my favourite times of the month... a Tag Friday at A Vintage Journey.  I don't think I've missed one since the very beginning.

Today's tag is one of the first things I've made using the new (not so new by now) Speckled Egg Distress colour.  I knew from the moment I saw it that it would be a new favourite, and ordered it in several mediums immediately.

They've been sitting on my craft table waiting for me to have time to play.   But I was so very right about loving it... it's completely magical.















I started with some wrinkle-free distressing, smooshing and splotching with Speckled Egg Distress Ink and Distress Oxide, along with Pumice Stone and some accents of Ground Espresso.  Happy already!















Then I applied strips of tissue tape and design tape and smeared some crackle paste over (following Live the Dream Jennie's lovely technique, not for the first time!).  

Once it had crackled, I dribbled some Speckled Egg Spray Stain over and spritzed with water to let it travel into all the nooks and crannies.











Finally, I sealed it with some Ultra-Matte Varnish.  Dabbing it on loosens some of the crackle - it's not very keen to stay on the slippery design tape - but that gives you an even more brilliantly weathered look, and once it's sealed whatever is still there is staying there.













I added some stamping in Ground Espresso Archival - postmarks and numbers courtesy of the Field Notes stamp plate...













... and some tiny mushrooms from the Tiny Toadstools set.  They've had a little touch of Pumice Stone Oxide on their caps.












Over that, there's some simple collaging with Field Notes ephemera.  I'm in love with these fungi, and they tone in really well with the Pumice Stone and Ground Espresso notes in the background.

They were actually in the mix first, and then I decided to stamp the little fungi to go with them, rather than the other way around.













The soft-eyed young man in the Photobooth snapshot looks quietly confident of his ability to change his life.  He might need a little more flamboyance though!













That's the advice of the quote, in any case.   If you're going to change your life, start immediately and do it flamboyantly!

I borrowed the acetate idea from some of my samples for my latest stamp release at PaperArtsy, and the quote itself is from one of the newest sets, EAB19 Life & Living.








I stamped my quote in Archival on some acetate cut from hoarded packaging, and added Earthtone Pepper embossing powder by Wow.

As you heat it, you can also start to gently shape the acetate strip to fold around the edges of the tag.  Then on the back I use a bit of tape to fasten the flaps in place.





Once that's done, I hold the tag up in the air, face-down, and heat from below, letting the acetate fall into its most natural curve.  If it needs a bit of help, the other end of a slender paint brush usually does the job smoothing it out.


That way you have this beautiful sculptural curve lifting over the tag.  The words are easily read as you move the tag around (which I've tried to mimic with these three photos from different angles) but you can also see whatever is behind them.  It makes me really happy!






There are symbols of the readiness for taking flight, for change, for all things new.

The tiny dragonfly/damselfly, perched ready for take off...










... and the little blue butterfly are from the Field Notes Snippets (tiny versions of the ephemera - in fact some of the script panels may be from there too, rather than the full-size ones).


I hope you like my tag.  I do, and I'm not afraid to say so!!













Do hop over to A Vintage Journey to see what my fellow Creative Guides have been up to for Tag Friday - I promise you it's worth the trip!

There's also a Link Party there if you'd like to share any tags you've made at any point in the last month.

I'm pausing part way across Europe for a few days with friends - all carefully distanced - and hope to find time for the long-promised visiting.  It's all been a bit hectic with packing the car and trying to second-guess the news about border restrictions and possible closures.

But these few days en route are usually pretty peaceful before we set off again, so I hope to see you all soon.

Take care, stay safe and happy crafting all.

New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.
Lao Tzu

35 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I have some of that Speckled Egg but haven't tried it yet. It is really lovely. You've once again inspired me. I like your tag with the mushroom and butterfly. It's getting to be that time of year. I've seen a few here (in New Hampshire) already. That seems early. Happy August when it arrives soon. Hugs-Erika

Christine Alexander said...

speckled egg is such a wonderful colour, Alison I must admit I knew it was you as soon as it came out. You're one of the blue gang, and there are lots of you out there:)
Love the tag, the mushrooms are a perfect addition.

Helen said...

I love the tag, the acetate is great - must dig some out! I need Speckled Egg too I think! Have a safe and happy trip - sounds fun!

Annie said...

What a fantastic tag Alison and I love the background and all the wonderful mediums/techniques used to create it xx The young man is perfect for your quote and I adore the butterflies and mushrooms from the filed note ephemera too x Safe journey and have a lovely time with your friends x

Huge hgs
Annie xx

Cestina said...

Delightful. I have a variation on your final quote "In every ending is a new beginning". A little less painful perhaps though yours is probably truer...
xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was mesmerized as I read every word. I was SO impressed with your use of the acetate. For me, it buckles and crinkles, but you have found the perfect way to heat it so it stays malleable and pliable. I love how you used the embossing powder with it, too. You are so good at stamping. It's amazing.

I also LOVE that speckled egg color. It certainly lives up to its name. And the crackle flakes are amazing. I would never have thought of varnish, but would have used gel medium. I'm sure the varnish worked better.

Have fun on your trip and we'll be here when you return.

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

What a amazing tag Alison. I love the color of background and all the texture. The speckled egg color is so beautiful.
Hugs, Ann x

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful tag! The the softness of the background texture and colour looks amazing and I love how you layered the ephemera together - perfect 😀. Happy Tag Friday! Hugs, Jo x

Marci said...

I love the background you started with. Gorgeous! The tag is gorgeous, too.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful tag Alison, love the soft colours. Have a great weekend, take care, hugs, Valerie

Chrissy said...

I love this colour combo Alison, I have speckled egg but bought the ink not oxide, I have the spray in oxide just do not use it, I must make an effort because I love these two colours together..love your tag, the mushroom or toadstools are so neat and I even like the man, he has a lovely kind face..take care and safe travels..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This color was meant for you! Gorgeous texture with the paste and papers. Love the layout too. Marvelous!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

so far I have managed to avoid buying the new Speckled Egg in any form but might have to get the Oxide ink. It is just your sort of colour though so you are excused for buying so much, not that I can say anything as I have found other things to spend my pennies on and they keep tempting me too. Take care and craft on. Hugs, Angela xXx

Sue said...

What a beautiful tag Alison, of course I love the crackle. I've yet to get my hands on the Speckled Egg but it is on my wish list. Take care and enjoy your travels, Sue xx

Abbeybufo said...

Hope the journey is going well for you both, and that you'll see good building progress when you reach the other end!.

Christine said...

Lovely work!

aussie aNNie said...

You made some fabulous designs over time but I sure love this tag using the new speckled eggs, just received mine...love the way you create.x

Amanda said...

Oooh lovely showcase of speckled egg, I’ve yet to use mine, great inspiration
Love
Amanda x

WendyK said...

An absolutely fabulous tag. You are brilliant with texture and colour and I love this tag
Hugs Wendy.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Alison! Love love this collage. And your inking produced such wonderful colors as always. XOX

Neet said...

Another beautiful tag Alison. I can see why you fell in love with the Speckled Egg when it first came out and had to buy the collection. I left it too late and everywhere was sold out by the time ~I realised I needed "another blue". Must add here that the blue shades in the Distress Inks are my favourites especially Tumbled Glass and Broken China.
Love how you built this tag up and I must say I am in love with those tiny mushrooms. That is a stamp I will have to investigate, for some reason I have a love of fungi and am instantly drawn to them. I particularly love the way you have used the various images, including the young man who fits in this tag perfectly.
Love it as always
Hugs, Neet xx

Cocofolies said...

This tag is a stunner, once again Alison, I adore every detail... It's beautiful to look at all the close-ups and pictures, and great to get the details at each step.
I will have a try with your words on acetate, I love how they pop up beautifully!
Corinne xx

Cazzy said...

That's so beautiful!

Lagene said...

Gorgeous creation, thanks for all the details!!!

Patty O'Malley said...

Fantastic tag, Alison. I am loving the new Speckled Egg color, too. I need to use mine soon.

Craftyfield said...

Your tag is fantastic in every way Alison! From the textured and distressed background to the snippets, photo and shaped acetate! Hope your travels are going well, at least the weather seems to be with you. x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Such a wonderful soft and textured tag Alison - gorgeous background (and so glad you are still enjoying the crackle technique!), and then the subtle stamping on acetate and vellum. Just fabulous with all those wonderful embellishments. Safe travels x

Lys said...

Again a gorgeous tag with a delightful background. You combined the vintage with the photo, and the modern with acetate: fabulous!

nwilliams6 said...

Wow. Everything works so beautifully on this wonderful tag. GREAT background and the fungi work so well with the picture - I never would have guessed they would look so good together but they do. Fabulously done! Hugz

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Love how you created the background and the details are amazing! Great advice too!

-Soma

craftytrog said...

A stunning tag Alison, that's a gorgeous blue! xx

Redanne said...

I do agree, Speckled Egg is quite magical and it looks even more beautiful with touches of Pumice Stone and Ground Espresso. Your tag is gorgeous with the touches of crackle and beautiful collage. Pretty perfect and you are right to love it! Anne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I always forget about Tag Friday, I really could do with a nudge when there's an extra Friday in the month.. I'm so happy to see you using speckled egg, it's a delightful colour and saves me from having to mix so much. Your colour choice and composition in so pleasing, like the ATC it's an amazing space to work on being small you can really intensify the detail.
I'm loving your tag too hee hee!! Stay safe where ever you are in the world now Hugs Tracey xx

Astrid Maclean said...

A super tag Alison, and yes, I think Speckled Egg seems to be a favourite of many people. All the mixed media effects on this tag look super and I love the boy and the surroundings you have placed him in.
Hope you have arrived safe and well by now!

Mac Mable said...

Glorious tag full of texture, crackle and wonderful mixing of the medias x. I so hope the journey went well? x