I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 9 January 2013

The Good Old Days

Hello everyone (for the second time, if you've already seen What's On My Workdesk today), and thank you so much for dropping in.  It's lovely to know you're there...  

I'm sharing a triptych with you today; let me start with a quick front and back, and then I'll show you some details.  I managed to capture some late evening sun (up in my usual tree), so there are some photos which really glow nicely with winter gold, though you have to deal with the occasional shadow of a branch!




I knew I wanted to enter the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge to Embrace the Old, as well as Something Old at Live and Love Crafts.  You can interpret them in a number of ways, but I went straight to vintage - one of my favourite styles to play with - I suppose partly because it's a form of time travel.  It's so often where my muse leads me - which is what they'd like to know about over at Frilly and Funkie.

One of the first things that turned me on to Distress Inks and stamping was the possibility of creating things with a look of the Good Old Days.

Like Rachel in Friends (who, when put on the spot, can only come up with Yesteryear and Yore -as in "days of...") I'm not necessarily particular about which period I play in.







I've done some Renaissance style, some Medieval, some 18th Century, but I suppose I'm most often drawn to the Victorian and Edwardian periods.

So when SSSaS asked us to Embrace the Old, my thoughts went straight to some of the gorgeous images created by the delightful Ignacio at Nicecrane Designs - so this also serves as a DT piece for Nicecrane.  The images I've used are from the lovely Children in the Victorian Age III set.

For this triptych, I used my new Cabinet die for the first time, bought in the sales I've been trawling.





I cut three frames from thick chipboard, and gave them a coat of Whitewash acrylic paint on both sides.

Starting with what's officially "the back", I layered some stamping using Archival inks - the Tim Holtz script from the Apothecary set, an Artistic Outpost flourish - part of a larger stamp in the Serenity set, and a shabby clock by Prima.

I also inked around the edges with Vintage Photo DI, and added some White Fire Treasure Gold for a gilded look.







I altered some metal embellishments - the TH Idea-ology bookplate and one of his clock faces as well as a decorative picture frame that I got on ebay.  

They've had a coat of Snowflake Fresco paint by PaperArtsy, some Vintage Photo inking, and then I sanded with an emery board to reveal some of the metal again.









Once the picture frame had been altered, I cut one of the Nicecrane images to fit (anyone who has a magic way to cut ovals to particular sizes when you can't draw round them, I'd love to know about it).

When she was in place, I added a layer of Glossy Accents to create a glassy domed cameo effect, which I think you can see quite well in the close-up above.






I'm very pleased with the shabby chic, worn effect on the metal pieces.  And I also love my new little alphabet stamps, the Playful Letters by Hero Arts.

I shan't be abandoning my little £1 alphabet completely, but for now these are a new favourite way to add words to projects.






If we turn over to the "front" (I like both sides, so I'm reluctant to make a definitive decision on what's front and what's back!), you see three more images from the set.

I cut them using the arched house from the Artful Dwellings die; it echoes the arch of the cabinet die beautifully, though they did need to be trimmed slightly shorter at the bottom.

And I layered them onto the panels with some frayed cheesecloth in between.










At the foot of each image I added some paper lace.  I took some plain paper cut using the TH Vintage Lace Decorative Strip Die, distressed it with some Vintage Photo DI, and gave it a coat of UTEE.










For the background, I stuck some of the glorious TH tissue wrap Melange onto my painted chipboard.  And in another version of "embracing the old", I edged these panels using my all-time favourite floral flourish by Stampology - which has been with me since the beginning of this crazy crafting journey.











The delicate wooden flourishes are by Crafty Emblies, and embellished with some of the mulberry paper roses I got on ebay.







The panels are joined together with some TH jump rings which have also had some painty attention, slotted through holes made with the smallest setting on my revolving punch.  

And there you have it...  Apologies for the long post, but it was a complicated piece, and needed lots of pictures.  If you're still with me on my little time-travelling journey into the past, thank you so much for taking the time - I really do appreciate every single visitor and comment.





History, with its flickering lamp, stumbles along the trail of the past, trying to reconstruct its scenes, to revive its echoes, and kindle with pale gleams the passion of former days.
Winston Churchill


I'm entering this in the following:
Embrace the Old at Simon Says Stamp and Show
Vintage Stamping Challenges, appropriately enough, would like to see something Vintage this month
At Loves Rubberstamps Challenges they want to see Dies or Punches being used
Live and Love Crafts want to see Something Old - vintage all the way for me
And Frilly and Funkie's first challenge of the New Year is to Follow Your Muse... mine has once again led me down a vintage path



If you like the images, you can find them here... 

And it's well worth a visit to Nicecrane Designs in any case - there's a wealth of amazing images, and incredibly reasonably priced.  

73 comments:

ria gall said...

Hi Alison
what a very pretty piece so nostalgic and so vintage. I love all your attention to detail. This is a stunning project.
Ria

Jenny Marples said...

Utterly delicious Alison. As you say a lot of time and well directed effort has gone into creating this masterpiece, demonstrating why you are now widely recognised as a superb craft artist. Love those images which are so suited to the piece and of course a sublime choice of stamps and media. Thanks for playing along at Frilly and Funkie (wow it's great to say that!!) as it's always exciting to see your work. Hugs, Jenny x

Lisa Minckler said...

I applaud you. Not only for such a detailed description of the journey you took to create them, but for the most exquisite looking time piece. You truly captured the essence in these images and I'm in tactile heaven looking at your details. Gorgeous work, best of luck in your challenges and certainly kudos for taking the Nicecrane images to a whole new level.
hugs,
Lisa x

Yvonne Garner said...

Hi Alison! What a feast for the heart and soul you have created and shared. I am breathless and nearly speechless! Bravo!

Cestina said...

This is simply beautiful (and I get to see it in the flesh of course :-))

Please, please may I have it as a birthday present? It would take pride of place in front of the mirror on my "new" Edwardian dressing table. Front and back would thus always both be visible as they deserve to be......

Nicecrane Designs said...

Wowwwww Alison,,,,:this triptych is so stunning,,,,,love the shaped panels , the vintage effect,,,, the way you use each detail,,,, OMG,,,,this work have been done with passion,and you used my Victorian Children perfectly,,,,,, I love these adorable faces,,,,very well done Alison,,,, .You are Rock.

Laura said...

Wow!
That is all.
:)

Astrid Maclean said...

Gorgeous use of those lovely vintage images and beautiful stamping (like usual). Absolutely love how you have altered those metal embellishments!

Dorthe said...

You made the most beautiful looking piece, related to a time so filled with lovelyness.
I love it Alison, and am totally lost in all your wonderful photoes.Thankyou for adding so many details describing all you did in creating this amazing triptych.
I will go visit Nicecrane.
xo,Dorthe

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, Alison, that's a breathtaking creation, I really love it.
Thanks for joining us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

What a beauty Alison. I absolutely love the Vintwge images and you have framed them beautifully . Wonderful elegant stamping and I love the Vintwge tones and gorgeous flowers. Well thought out piece Alison. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp a d Show Challenge. Tracy x

Paper Profusion said...

Seriously impressed Alison!! This is stunningly beautiful! I would buy this for sure. Thank-you so much for all the information that is always a little tutorial for me. I love this one! Nicola x

Debi said...

this is just sooooooooo beautiful, you do this style so well Alison, Debi x

catherine said...

Oh my Alison just how gorgeous is this - just so love it!!
x catherine

JoZart Designs said...

such a superb piece of art work. Gorgeous vintage shades and lots of lovely details.
Jo x

craftytrog said...

Wow!!! A simply stunning piece Alison! Love it! xx

Geraldine said...

this is gorgeous, I love it, best wishes.

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is fab, Alison. I am making a triptych at the moment but I don't know where I am going with it (hardly rare for me!). What frame dies have you used because I see you have used ones that go through chipboard? Where you said about the back of the piece, have you noticed on You Tube they always say the 'backside'; that makes me laugh! This is a great piece!

Lucy x

Annie said...

Beautiful make Alison and those images are delightful. You have certainly captured the vintage feel. It is a favourite of mine too x

Good luck in the challenges

Crafty hugs

Annie x

Athina said...

This is beautiful! I love the vintage look. Thanks for sharing with us at Loves Rubberstamps.

Redanne said...

What a beautiful post Alison, it is like going back in time to a different place..... Beautifully crafted piece, love those Nicecrane designs, they are quite stunning and so is your gorgeous piece. Hugs, Anne x

May said...

Wonderful post Alison... Beautiful creations.. Stunning vintage piece.. I adore the images!! Hugs May x x x

House of Bears said...

We love this, such a vintage feel to it makes us feel all nostalgic for a past we wreren't even born in, oh for a time travel machine.

Sarah said...

This is a remarkable triptych, Alison. You have captured so much beauty and nostalgia through the colors, images and embellishments. This ranks as one of my favorites.

Brenda Brown said...

These are beautiful Alison, you have portrayed the images in such a way as to capture the vintage feel using fabulous techniques and colours. Love it.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Unknown said...

I love how these turned out. The clock is wonderful and the images you chose are perfect.

Thank you for sharing
Tracie

Kate Yetter said...

Such a gorgeous piece! I love the victorian era as well. You have captured the sweetness of youth as well as adding the perfect vintage feel!

Neet said...

Alison, this is truly gorgeous and I am in love with it. You should be so proud of it, a truly great piece of artwork.

Love the images, love the whole stamping, the colours used, everything about it. Alison, you are wonderful.

Hugs, Neet xx

Chrissy said...

WOW!! This is so beautiful Alison..gorgeous design, love the colours and images..all the gorgeous details..beautiful.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Always a delight to have you playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie. This is such an amazing piece of art, Alison, truly a feast for the eyes. Every detail is special and perfectly placed. I honestly don't know how you have time to turn out such masterpieces, photograph, edit photos, write posts, blog, be on design teams, leave comments and on and on. Oh my, do you ever sleep? Please take care of yourself!

Hugs,
Linda

Inkypinkycraft said...

Alison thosis a truly stunning piece, I love vintage and this so is! Love that cabinet die ..is on my wish list...which seeing allthe new releases is huge!!! Love all your details! Thanks for playing with frilly and funkie too!! Trace x

Rosie said...

Wow, Alison, this is gorgeous, love every detail

toni said...

This is superb ! Every aspect is just full of gorgeous vintage detail. Lucky to find that die in the sale ! X

maj. said...

This is gorgeous, such pretty colours and embellies!!!!

Claudia N. said...

A lovely triptych, Alison! And the winter sun made it glow so beautifully! Eyecandy in any way!

Hugs,

Claudia x

Jan Hennings said...

WOW!!!! Love your style :)

Sophie said...

Spitzenmäßig, Alison.
Das ist so wunderschön und an Perfektion nicht zu überbieten.
Ein Schmuckstück!

Candy C said...

Alison...your vintage triptych is absolutely gorgeous! I love the frames...so gorgeous in every way. Love the cream and brown color palette. Love the flourishes and sweet little tea roses. And the photographs are so endearing. Your work is always just amazing and this project is another example of that! Thanks so much for sharing your fabulous art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Nan G said...

What a beauty, Alison! A fabulous vintage piece.

Janny Jager said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Alison what a great ,beautiful,lovely and amazing piece of art.
Love it very very much.

Greetings Janny

Nonni said...

Dear Alison, you are an artist!! This is an amazing vintage project, you have given new life to those sweet girls. I totally admire this!

Ana K. said...

Alison you always surprise me... again amazing masterpiece!!! I can’t stop looking at it. Hugs

Marcy said...

Wow, this is so gorgeous! I love this vintage style and and all of your details. You did an amazing job with the project! Thanks so much for joining our challenge over at Loves Rubberstamps! Thanks also for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments! :)

brenda said...

Another stunning piece of artwork Alison, I imagine it took you ages but so very worthwhile.

Thanks so much sharing with us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping challenges this month.

B x

Anonymous said...

Thnaks for your visit at my blog and the nice comment
And congratulations to your fantastic art here in your blog!
Hello from Elma

Dangina Martinez said...

Beautiful! Love the vintage photos and your fabulous design. Thank You for playing along with us here at Loves Rubber Stamps this week.
Good Luck and Hugs, Dangina

Kim x said...

WOW Alison this is just amazing, so much work, I love it.
hugs Kimx

Bärbel said...

Liebe Alison, das Triptychon ist atemberaubend schön geworden, wunderbar dekoriert und alles perfekt!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Beautiful and lots of attention to detail as usual. I love how you distressed all the metal bits. It definitely has a nostalgic feel.

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great vintage triptych Alison...a real beauty!

greetings, Alie :-)

Sandy said...

What else can I say but you are so very creative and your ART is always gorgeous!
Sandy

Katherine said...

Just super beautiful and very vintage :)

Anonymous said...

It really doesn't get any more dreamy than this - those sweet faces, the use of the picture frame (love that!), painted embellishments - there is nothing I adore on this exquisite creation.
Wishes
Lynne

Terry said...

Hey there Allison, thank you so much for playing with the DT from Frillie and Funky your project is absolutely amazingly made wowwzerss love all those yummie colors and the vintagy images they are sooo cute. Thank you for sharing, Hugs Terry xxxx

Bonnie Irvine said...

Alison, you have captured the vintage feel so beautifully on this piece. Your combination of elements is amazing. Fabulous collage of stamps, wonderful use of dies, and gorgeous images. It's delightful. Thanks for the inspiration you so generously provide.

Hettie said...

Crikey Alison....when do you sleep?
This is absolutely fabulous. Love all the detail and elements in this piece. Wow! A stunner girl!
xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! Girl...this is fabulous! Every vintage bit is amazing! When do you sleep?

Marjie Kemper said...

What a fantastic way to use the cabinet cards... these are stunning!!!

Donna Gibson said...

Alison, What a beautiful tribute to a gentler era! Your attention to detail is exquisite. I'm in love with the altered finish you applied to the metal embellishments. And the UTEE covered paper lace is fabulous! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous project Alison, I always love how you describe everything. There is so much detail and I LOVE the effect on the metal, stunning ! Sue C x

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say, thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie ! Sue C x

Sue said...

Totally gorgeous Alison, beautiful images and wonderful little touches. I love your UTEE'd lace and the crafty emblies fit perfectly xx

Laura Love said...

This is gorgeous! I love the vintage look too and you captured it beautifully! What great photos! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Loves Rubberstamps this week!

Mrs.B said...

Hi Alison, A beautiful vintage piece, love those gorgeous images. As usual you have lots of wonderful details and embellishments, a real treasure.
Avril xx

Anna-Karin said...

So beautiful Alison! Great use of the cabinet die. Love the glossy accent and all the wonderful details. Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

OMGosh these are fabulous, absolutely fabulous. Love them. Love the shape, the colors, the dies, the pictures, love everything about them. Thanks for entering our challenge just so I could see these. Thanks for playing with us over at Loves Rubberstamps!!!

Margaret said...

Oh...this is so fabulous! I have been scrolling up and down looking at each photo and trying not to drool on the keyboard! You have captured these images perfectly in such a wonderfully Victorian framework that it's like finding a treasured piece in an old attic! -minus the dust!! Gorgeous work!

Rosie said...

this is sooooo very beautiful, Alison

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

OMG Alison, you've been such a busy girl lately - so much to look at! This project is just breathtakingly gorgeous. The soft, romantic palette really suit the vintage images. And the stamping looks fabulous - fantastic work my friend! xx

Barb King said...

I love all the details and subtle colors, lovely little faces.

Luce said...

Gorgious work! Love your stamping and beautiful details!
Have a wonderful weekend :o)

Maura said...

Your triptych is gorgeous! Love the attention to detail. Congrats at SSS!

Kezzy said...

Gorgeous, I love the vintage style mind you, I never seem to get it right but your spot on :-). I have been thinking about getting this die, it does look rather amazing. Hugs kerry xxx