I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 25 January 2013

A Whiter Shade of Pale


Hello all, thank you so much for dropping in today... It's Friday, and time for a new challenge over at Fussy and Fancy.

I'm a little sad, as this will be my last project as part of the Design Team - it's been a fantastic six months (Six months?  Seriously?  Where did that time go?!) but both in real life and in crafting terms there's so much on my plate at the moment that something had to give.

But I'd like to thank everybody at F&F for the fun and friendship and inspiration, and lots of great challenges... I'll definitely be back to play along in future.

But enough of that... time to play!  We're looking for Circles from you this fortnight, and here's my offering for inspiration, using some papier-mâché hanging circles bought very cheaply at The Range.




Any WOYWW-ers out there may remember this trio of frames from my desk a couple of weeks back - I really went through the mill with this one.






The circles have been at least four different colours, and had several different stamped designs over them, then got covered in texture paste and repainted - each time pleasing me less and less.

Eventually I just lost patience and painted them white to give myself a whole fresh start.

At that point, Our Creative Corner offered up their latest challenge - to create something all White with a Decorative Edge... and at last I began to see a journey ahead.






Step number one was the brainwave of trying out some of the gorgeous Memory Box diecut Catalina Wreaths on top of the frames.

I don't actually own this die, but had bought some pre-cut ones from eBay.

To my delight, they were exactly the right size, so I started gathering other flowery bits and pieces.  I don't do flowery that often, so I thought I might as well do it properly while I was at it.









As well as the Catalina honeysuckle wreaths, there are some of the tiny mulberry paper roses, and some of the larger ones also bought for pennies at The Range.












As I looked at all the bits lying on my craft mat, it quickly became clear that "white" is a flexible term...  Even though all the flowers, the die-cuts and now the frames were "white" - they were all completely different shades.  I decided to paint everything to try to get them to match better.








So I tried a coat of gesso - still all completely different. I added a coat of Titanium White acrylic... still all looking pretty different, but now there was at least a sort of continuity of shade.  

I really like the look of the paint on the paper flowers and the rough brushstrokes visible on the delicate diecuts.










I decided to add some of the wooden flourishes from Crafty Emblies into the mix.  I love these, they're so delicate and intricate.  They look beautiful already in their dark wood finish, and of course you can also alter them, as here.











They got the same coat of gesso and paint as everything else, but I kept it only to the top surface so that you get the dimensional definition of the shape of the flourish.











So we were now pretty much all white - and according to the Our Creative Corner rules, the sentiment can be any colour you like.


At first, I stamped individual words on tissue paper so that I could try out the look of them in the circles, but they didn't have enough punch somehow.


So I turned to my favourite Idea-ology Alpha Parts, this time the Newsprint font.


Usually I mess around with them, altering with paints, and/or DIs, and/or alcohol inks to suit whatever project I'm working on (yup, those links all lead to projects I've used them on - and that's just some of them - I use them a lot!).







As I started to get the letters ready, I was thinking about painting their top surfaces white, as with the flourishes.  However, as I tried them out in the circles I decided I really liked the drama of the black.

So for once, I've left the Alpha Parts in their basic state!!

So there you have it, a shabby chic, romantic, all-white, circular extravaganza - probably about as flowery as you're going to see it get round here!




Be sure to pop by and see all the great projects my fellow DT-ers have created over at Fussy and Fancy - they're well worth a visit, and of course, we'd love to have you join in with our Circles challenge this fortnight - can't wait to see what you come up with!  For now, thank you so much for your company, and see you again soon.

Black and white are absolute... expressing the most delicate vibration, the most profound tranquility, and unlimited profundity.
Shiko Munakata

White covers a multitude of sins.  (After four different goes with these frames, I couldn't agree more!)
Jonathan Milne

I'm entering this in the following:
Our Creative Corner are playing White with a Decorative Edge
At Craft-room Challenge they are looking for Monochrome projects
Allsorts are having a Flower Power challenge

54 comments:

Nan G said...

I knew this would turn out fabulous! It's so vintage-y romantic.

Astrid Maclean said...

Well, I reckon all your efforts certainly paid off! Love the dramatic look of the black on the white, and being a flower fan myself, those are of course right up my street. You have mentioned the Range on several posts if my memory serves me right, must google them as I don't know "the Range", but have to say, really love what you seem to be able to purchase from them:o)

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wow Alison, this project has definitely tested your perseverance but it so paid off. You walk hanging is gorgeous with its 50 shades of white lol. I love The Range. It's such a great place for all crafting 'essentials' isnt it? I don't think I ever walked out empty handed from that shop lol. xxx

chrissie said...

Just amazing Alison.

With different words I can imagine a bride carrying that instead of a bouquet of flowers.

Love Chrissie xx

Jenny Marples said...

For us mere mortals it's somewhat heartening to know that even you go through the mill once in a while!! LOVE that you've kept this completely white. It is definitely more you this way and makes such a feature of all the delicious embellishments. What a perfect way to sign off from the DT. Hugs, Jenny x

Chrissy said...

Oh! I do love this Alison, so pretty, and loving the white with the black, so striking..beautiful.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Carol Q said...

a stunning creation Alison. don't you just love those Memory Box dies?

brenda said...

The white on white looks fabulous Alison, it's the colour scheme that always scares me but you have pulled it off beautifully.

Thanks for joining us again week Allsorts.

B x

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, well you really did 'trip the light fan-dangle' getting this to work out for you but what a stunning result! I really love the Memory Box die you have used and the flowers are gorgeous. The black wording really pops. I am now going to be humming Procol Harum's song all day...but it is so lovely I really don't mind! Hugs, Anne x

Laurart said...

It is perfect! Really truly amazing! I adore the roses and the swirls and everything is just gorgeous. I realised as well just how many shades of white there are. I was selecting things I would have sworn was white but against another shade of white they looked yellow (or perhaps I need my eyes tested) ;o) Love from Laura xxxxxxxxxxxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful! That shades of white is amazing isn't it? But I suppose you've only got to go down the paint aisle in a DIY store to choose paint to really feel the pressure!!!
Love your frames - so delicate! Chrisx

Kate Yetter said...

A lovely hanging, Alison. The white on white is almost fairytale-ish. It is so elegant! I find it so hard not to use ink & paint. I am drawn to your work because of your neutral color palette! I love it. It's very Alison.
Kate

Unknown said...

Terrific color combo Alison and the flower spray is so pretty. I love the design of this project! Hugs

Patti P. said...

Lovely Alison, your projects always make me smile and this is no different. I love the way your flowers seem to cascade down the piece but your sense of design is always spot on. All's well that ends well.....
hugs

craftytrog said...

You've achieved something beautiful in the end Alison, lovely texture! xx

ria gall said...

This project was a real struggle to you by the sounds of it but oh my look what came out of it in the end. This is very pretty and the black letters really finish it off
Ria

craft-roomjulia said...

My oh my Alison, these are just wonderful. Sometimes the journey from A to B can be a little frustrating, but in this case the end result is so beautiful. I love everything about this project, it's so very stylish with a vintage feel to it and perfect for our challenge. Thanks for joining us at Craft Room Challenge and good luck. Julia xxxx

Francesca said...

You finally got there in the end. and what a fab result...I do like working in just white, even in my embroidery. Have a good weekend. Love Francesca

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW!!!! STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

Inkypinkycraft said...

A beautiful make! I love white against white and this is beautiful,great textures too! Trace x hugs x

Paper Profusion said...

This is just gorgeous Alison. The floral all white achieves such beautiful femininity. Have a lovely weekend. Nicola x

Anonymous said...

well this is fan-flipping-tastic! I love it and all your time and effort was totally worth it!
Thanks for sharing with us this time at Allsorts, hugs Samantha :0)

Wendy L said...

Stunning creation. Just beautiful. xxx

Debi said...

hey Alison!!! this is just stunning and beautiful, I'd love this hanging on my wall! Thanks for joining us again at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

Sarah said...

Gorgeous hanging Alison, love the white on white and all the beautiful detail. Thank you so much for joining us at Allsorts this week, good luck x

Netty said...

Loving this floral extravaganza with all its fab diecuts and flowers. Gorgeous hanging Alison. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Hahaha I thought, oké...love, wish anddddd dream...but no Alison, you decided to play! Great idea!!!
Nice creation, very inventive.

have a nice weekend, Alie :-)

Anonymous said...

Wowzer girl!! This is such a totally amazing project!! LOVE your white on white theme!! Beautiful job with the circle theme! Have a great weekend! HUGS :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous hanging.

Keren Tamir said...

This is gorgeous Alison!!! Love this project. You always make such gorgeous OTP projects

Céline said...

amazing Alison! i love it
hugs
céline

Annie said...

Hi Alison .....this certainly came together and I love the monochrome look. I have never heard of the Range !
Those flowers are gorgeous and work so well with the die cuts. TFS

Take care
Annie x

Janny Jager said...

A stunnig creation Alison.
Love every detail

Greetings Janny

catherine said...

Another fantastic project Alison. Love all the white and black. You have done a fabulous job as your dt spot and I'm sure you will be missed. Have a good weekend
x catherine

May said...

Simply Beautiful Alison.. Love all the lovely texture... Hugs May x x x

maj. said...

What a wonderful creation!!!!!

House of Bears said...

Wow, to look at the before and after you wouldn't think they were the same product. You've made a beautiful job of altering them.

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Alison
A great way to exit your Dt position, even though it is your last one for them.
It is certainly a project they will remember, as it is just gorgeous.
Thanks for joining us this week at Our Creative Corner, we are as always thrilled to see your work.
Smiles:)
Sue

Michelle Webb said...

Well after 4 attempts I think this a marvellous success! I love it Alison. I really like the texture from your previous craftyness. It really looks gorgeous. I love the Range, I'm never out of the place! You can always find me loitering around the paint and canvas section! lol Michelle x

rudlis said...

Hi Alison!
Stunning design and gorgeous project! I love it! Thanks for joining in at Our Creative Corner! Hope to see you again.

Sandy said...

So very pretty Alisoon!
Sandy

Sandy said...

You think I could at least spell your name right!
Sandy

Sarah said...

Very pretty study in white.

Kim x said...

WOW Alison this is just amazing.
I know exactly what you mean about whites I had the devels own job making my card for the challenge at Our Creative Corner,it doesn't seem finished to me so perhaps I will have to try painting everything with Gesso cause yours looks truly fabulous.
hugs Kimx

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Patience equals beauty! You have both GF

Lisa Minckler said...

Good golly, what a journey indeed! I'm loving that you showed the pictures of where it was heading and how it actually turned out. The flourishes painted only on top is probably one of my favorite things. Love the definition that you allowed to stay there and the paint on the flowers..now that's just downright cool! I'm very proud of you for using flowers and you've placed them so perfectly. :)
A gorgeous trio of circular inspiration!!
Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at Our Creative Corner. Best of luck and we'd love to have you visit again next week!
Lisa xx

craftimamma said...

What a stunning project Alison. I love white on white (even if the shades are a little different) but can't think of a single project I've done in this style myself. For someone who doesn't use flowers often you have certainly put them to good use here with perfect balance between all the elements and you were so right to keep the wording plain black. It adds just the right amount of drama to the piece. A joy to look at!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Dorthe said...

They truly endet up amazingly beautiful, dear Alison. I love the little differens in the white tones, make everything live a little more,and I love you did not paint the edges of the flourishes ,so it now adds to the dark letters.What a happy ending --,romantic and so lovely.
Hugs from afar,from sniffing me :-)

Lili said...

Your creations are stunning! Great job with these circles, so creative! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments on my posts. They are much appreciated!!
Hugs ;)

Maria said...

Oh wow, this is such a stunning creation Alison. I love everything about this hanging, and the flowers finish it off perfectly. I do love your creations. Thanks for joining in with our Monochrome theme over at the Craft-Room Challenge, and good luck in the draw.

Maria x

Anonymous said...

There is such beauty and poetry in the simplicity of white and here with those delicate and feminine touches it really does speak to the soul.
Adore this.
Wishes
Lynne

Marjie Kemper said...

Fantastic! Love the Idea-ology letters popping against your white on white plates.

Esther said...

Wow this is beautiful,love the white on white, with the black lettering......thanks so much for sharing with us at Craft-Room..Esther xx

hazel said...

This is a stunning hanging Alison, I love it.
xxx Hazel.