I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 27 January 2022

Alcohol Ink Abstracts

Hello all... almost the end of January already - how did that happen?!  I hope 2022 is treating you well so far.

I've something a little different for you today - though in some ways it's not different at all!  Regulars will know how much I love creating ink splotches with Distress Inks and Oxides.  I can't imagine why it's taken me so long to have a proper play with doing the same using alcohol inks.


They've been sitting there on the shelf, coming out every once in a while to alter a metal embellishment, or tint a bit of acetate.  But I've never taken them out for a proper ride.  After watching the Tim Holtz demo on YouTube last Saturday, I decided it was about time I did a bit of playful exploration.


My mojo has been on go-slow, so playing without expectation, judgment or any kind of plan was a lovely thing to do.  And I'm pretty excited about the results.  I'll shut up now and let you have a closer look at some of the splotches and layers in these abstract "maps" of inkiness.

These are from the first one (click to see them a little larger).

    
                 
And here are some close-ups of the second "map" - lots of organic shapes and seeds growing in this one...



.   
These are a combination of Ranger's Alcohol Inks, Alcohol Pearls and Alcohol Alloys.  The Inks involved are Monsoon, Mushroom, Espresso, Denim, and maybe a touch of Ginger (don't really remember all of it - I was just playing).  The Pearls are Celestial, Smolder and Mineral, and the Alloy is Foundry.

I'm hoping I can stay nice and loose and just keep playing, whilst trying to remember and recreate some of my favourite effects so that I can have at least some idea of what will happen with various combinations and actions!  I do love a learning curve.

I hope 2022 is providing you with new creative adventures, and I'll see you all again soon.  

You can learn new things at any time in your life if you’re willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.
Barbara Shur

The beginning is the most important part of the work.
Plato

10 comments:

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh Alison, what a beautiful assortment of photos. GOOD JOB. I've been missing in action on blogs for awhile, but email impressed me so much on your new adventure ! I too have been a bit lax in time with my ink process. Had a great awakening with a class by Wendy Vecchi on Doodling and it has gotten me back in the grove of more time for "Me" and my fun. Have a great week, stay safe and Winter? here it's been -20 with wind Enjoying 30 today but icy roads. Keep sharing we all need the inspiration

Cocofolies said...

They are all absolutely beautiful!!! They have the depth of the seabed, especially the first ones... The second ones are also superb, and just unique. That's fun, because I'm also doing a lot of experiments and trials with my regular alcohol inks, mixative, pearls and alloy too! How fun, isn't it?.. :)
I have to investigate more in your way and have a look on Tim's demo too (but it so looooong, and he speaks so quickly, I usually don't have enough time or patience!).
Keep sharing here too if you can Alison, it is so enjoyable. xxx

Nan G said...

Wow! Your play has yielded some spectacular results. I’ve given away all of my alcohol inks as the smell really bothers me now. But years ago I used them as you, to alter metal for mixed media pieces. Now-a-days I’m learning and playing on a gelli plate with liquid inks, dye inks and oxides. Oh and watercolors! Fun fun. Stay safe and warm. Enjoy just playing. Warm hugs, Nan

Helen said...

well if that's what you do without mojo.... they are beautiful!! take care and see you soon. Helen xx

Neet said...

Well, 2022 has seen me playing along with the Aall & Create Janet Klein challenge. I have so enjoyed creating these little Polaroids and it has made me go back to using Instagram to upload them all. In fact I am hoping to create a second set shortly and funnily enough I thought I might use AI's to create some of my backgrounds this time.
I love the results you got. Very organic, the first ones remind me of pebbles and rocks underneath the ocean. I just love the combination of colours you chose to work with. I only have the basic AI's and three metallics but seeing your results there is a little temptation niggling at the back of my head if I ca get somewhere near the results you got. Thank you so much for sharing Alison.
Hugs, Neet xx (stamperneet on insta)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Why can't I get my AIs to spread like yours. Yours are so beautiful and mine just look like blobs. These are amazing. Unfortunately, I've never even heard of the Alcohol Pearls or Alloys, so that might have something to do with it.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like these ...

All the best Jan

Craftyfield said...

Brilliant results! Tim's video is on my to-do list... maybe it will spur me into action. But, after a long session making all these backgrounds, which I couldn't bear to cover with anything..., what do you do with them?! Because it is a consideration if, like me, you have a serious UFO problem!
Hope you are keeping well, Covid is no picnic even with all the jabs. x

Mac Mable said...

Tons of inspiration, fabulous colours and results from the alcohol inks Alison x.

Witchcrafted Life said...

Deeply lovely creations. They have a soothing, tranquil quality to them that instantly evokes thoughts of spending time at a peaceful body of water.

Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life