I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 17 March 2019

Encore Post - Live Gently

Encore Post - see the foot of the post if you don't know what I'm talking about!

Hello all and happy Sunday!  I had hoped to share some more of my new stamp samples with you, but there just hasn't been time to write the blogpost.  I'm still busy with Julius Caesar here in New York - full days in the theatre, with the first audience preview this evening (yes, Sunday - theatres here play on Sundays, with Monday as the day off, unlike in the UK).  But I didn't want to neglect the blog completely, so here's an Encore tag with a little touch of springtime for you in the meantime.  It's something of a favourite of mine, I must confess, so I'm happy to be sharing the full post here at Words and Pictures at last.

It was made back in August 2016 for one of the Vintage Journey Destination Inspiration posts, so there were certain elements which had to be included.  But, as you'll see, this list really wasn't a stretch for me!  Here's what I wrote back then...
_____________________________

Hello all, it's Alison here arriving at Terminal 3 of Destination Inspiration.  We've already seen wonderful projects from Anne and Deb, and now it's my turn to create with the contents of the travel bag this month.  Just as a reminder, this is what's in the suitcase:

Product - Paint
Substrate - Tag
Colour - Smoky Grey Blue (think Stormy Sky and Weathered Wood)
Technique - Resist (paint, embossing or mediums)

And here's the tag I came up with...


I started by putting a coat of PaperArtsy Chalk Fresco Paint onto a plain manila tag, and then stamping Tim Holtz's Cracks background in Versamark and clear-embossing it.


So that was my paint and my resist - now for something for it to resist!  I used Distress Stains in Stormy Sky, Weathered Wood and Hickory Smoke to create the almost stained glass look.


Having the coat of paint underneath means the Stains don't soak into the tag in the same way - they sit on the surface a little and create lovely effects as you dry them.  And you can see the grain of the paint brush strokes too, which I really like.


By now I'd covered all the travel bag contents requirements, so I was free to go in any direction with what to put over my background.  Whatever I did next, I would still have my lovely light-catching resist mosaic.


The gorgeous Bird Silhouette is a favourite die of mine so I cut him from some Tim Holtz paper and inked the edges with Ground Espresso DI.


Some more paper scraps provide the "ground" for him to stand on.  He's mounted on padded tape, by the way, to get a touch more dimension.


I was in a gentle frame of mind, so I cut some soft neutral Wildflower die-cuts to go behind him (also inked with Ground Espresso)...


... and I added some actual dried Wildflower stems to the mix.  I love the fragile dimensionality - not one for sending through the post, this!


Adding the lower parts of the stems was an afterthought.  They're just tucked in, but I think they're positioned about right to create the illusion that they're all attached somewhere behind his back.


Obviously I needed some words - Small Talk stickers to the rescue, as so often.  I can't think what I did before these little phrases were released.


So that's my Destination Inspiration tag for you.  I hope you like it.


Thanks so much for stopping at Destination Inspiration with me today.  See you again soon.
____________________________

I'm happy to say that there is finally a touch of spring in the air here, so this seemed like the right time for this tag.  I hope you're all enjoying a gentle weekend full of things which give you joy, and I'll hope to be back soon with something a little newer to share.  Many thanks for stopping by and happy crafting all!

Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
Saint Francis de Sales

Encore Posts
Projects which made their first appearances elsewhere for Design Team duties or Guest Designer opportunities, but which only had a sneak peek here, are being gathered together in the pages of my virtual scrapbook while I'm away.
As always, the Encore Posts are formatted differently from the regular ones, so that you can easily spot them.  Please don't feel that you have to comment all over again!

19 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

It's a great tag Alison, and always good to see it again. The crackle background looks super.
Good luck tonight!

craftytrog said...

It's a beauty Alison! Thanks for the look back!
Happy Sunday,
Alison xx

Hazel Agnew said...

What a delight this is Alison and how effective your background....making a note of that one! Wow! To be in New York and involved in such drama and creativity must be amazing! Here I am in my own little craft room world a million light years away from all that you survey! Xx

My name is Erika. said...

I am glad you posted this encore tag Alison. I didn't see it round one but it is beauty and I really agree with the saying. I didn't realize what you did as a day job until you mentioned Julius Caesar in today's post and I read your blog bio. Wow, that is also fascinating. Hope you are enjoying some nice spring weather in the city and it isn't too cold. Hugs-Erika

Redanne said...

It is always a pleasure to see your Encore posts. I had forgotten how beautiful that stained glass effect is, how I would love to have a window like that. Your tag is gorgeous.

I hope tonight goes well! Anne xx

Meggymay said...

It was lovely to see this beautiful tag again.
Hope all goes well tonight.
Yvonne xx

suzyb said...

I love this one Alison, I do love birds, pretty much anything birds or butterflies or fairie's or ... My list goes on. ;) I just got some Resist Spray to try so I thank you for this lovely tag.
hugs from Victoria, BC

Craftyfield said...

Beautiful, Alison! I'm taking note for a future Casing... x

Cocofolies said...

A very lovely tag and 'Encore' post Alison, I also love the delicacy of this one, with the beautiful addition of your dried stems.. Great to see it again!
Coco xx

froebelsternchen said...

It's so beautiful Alison! Thanks for the look back!

Brenda Brown said...

Lovely to see this beauty again and perfect as the birds are singing outside my window. Your days sound long and arduous but exciting too. Enjoy your week xxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Your background is stunning Alison, it seems almost a shame to cover it up but your sweet bird and wildflowers are such complimentary elements. Beautiful look back,
I hope NY is being kind to you? The sun is up with no sign of rain in my part of the UK today, the Birds are enjoying a sing song this fine morning.
Creative wishes Tracey xx

sarascloset said...

A beautiful encore, Alison! Love the hints at spring! Hugs!

Roosterhead Designs said...

Gorgeous! Love the stain glass- almost mosaic tile effect~ Beautiful and looks like it was fun to make! That to me is the best part ; )
Love the addition of texture (fragile stems) and the bird is a beautiful focal point~ Hugs to you Alison. karen o

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm still playing catch-up, Alison. This is a beautiful tag and a first time viewing for me. The crackle is wonderful, the stained glass look is impressive, and the bird is fabulous. A friend sent me one of those birds, and now I have an idea how to use it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hope you are enjoying NYC.

Diana Taylor said...

This is perfectly delightful, and the background is gorgeous even without the adornments - I'm not sure I'd have been able to cover it up!!
Diana xx

Dorthe said...

A gorgeous background, for your bird and flowers, dear Alison, thank you for always showing such special and inspirational art pieces . Hugs, Dorthe

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a stunning tag! The background looks so pretty with the blue colours and I love the little bird with those beautiful words, so true 😁. I hope you had a gentle and peaceful weekend too, wishing you a happy new week! J 😊 x

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's a beautiful encore post Alison! That crackle looks brilliant!! You sound as though you are being kept busy!! Hugs, Chrisx