I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 17 February 2019

Yellow Wallflowers

Hello all.  I'm so happy you're as excited by my new PaperArtsy word stamps as I am - thank you for your lovely comments.  And now, welcome to a New York-based post, though these pages were actually created while I was still at home.  There's no die-cutting machine in the travelling stash, of course, and I really wanted to try out the new Tim Holtz Wildflower Thinlits before I disappeared to the other side of the Atlantic for a couple of months.  So here they are...


I did promise I'd do better with my yellows for the Art Journal Journey theme of The Colour Yellow this month, so this page spread is also fulfilling that pledge.  And for all that I'm a reluctant user of yellow, I found myself really loving it once I'd worked it into the natural world.








These daisies nestled against the brick wall make me very happy.  Get yourself a nice cup of coffee and enjoy the journey along the yellow brick road...













I was playing in the same altered book as for most of my recent pages.  I'm very sad I couldn't squeeze it into the travelling stash, as I was on a bit of a creative roll with it. 












I started by roughly gessoing over the text, before adding some texture sand paste through the Wendy Vecchi brick stencil.

I used Antique Linen Distress Spray to add some warm Cotswold stone colour to my "walls".  (See, I'm getting in there early with some yellow tones... more to come!)













I cut several stems from the new Tim Holtz sets out of watercolour paper and had a little play to see what might go where.














Then it was out with the Distress Stains to watercolour the wallflowers.














There's Antique Linen, Scattered Straw and Wild Honey involved for the yellows...














... but also Weathered Wood and Pumice Stone for the centre of the flower head, as well as for shading.














The stems have Pumice Stone, Old Paper and Peeled Paint in the mix, and some of those colours also wandered up into some of the petals for some more shadows and detail.














I mostly tried to leave my white space on the petals untouched, but there are just a couple of spots where I added tiny touches of white acrylic afterwards.













That includes the centre of the flowers, where I used a white paint pen for the highlighting and my dip pen and some walnut ink for the shading and floret detailing.













And there are some white pen detailing touches on a few of the other petals too.














I decided the tall, slender die-cuts would be twiggy stems in bud, so that gave me another chance to add a touch of yellow - though I'll confess it's back to the most delicate of Antique Linen yellows, rather than the full-on version!













I did make sure there was plenty of yellow spatter across the brickwork and book text... mainly Antique Linen and Wild Honey, if memory serves.














And I chose the primrose-toned word stickers from the Finnabair Art Daily collection.













That's the Daniel Smith walnut ink again, framing and shadowing the words...















... applied with the dip pen and then shaded out with a water brush under each sticker.














I also added some dip pen detailing to the leaves and stems.















There are some deeper shadows at the foot of each cluster of flowers...













... as well as some inking around the edges of the pages, which looks great over the brick texture.














And some Antique Linen script stamping to contrast with the typed text of the book pages.

And that's pretty much that.






Yellow is said to be a lovely cheerful colour (which makes it a little worrying how rarely I'm tempted to use it!)...












... and there's no doubt that these pages made me happy in the making and also make me happy in the looking.  Maybe I need to use yellow more often?

I had such a lovely time "colouring" the flowers.  I'd planned to do some die-cutting so that I could bring lots of unpainted ones with me and have them to play with here.













Sadly, time ran away from me in the packing process, so I'll just have to be patient and wait until I'm home again.







Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope you're all enjoying a lovely Sunday.  The weather's not due to be great, so I don't think it's going to be a good day for much New York walking on my one day off.  I hope to get out and about during the morning.



But then in the afternoon I'm looking forward to having a bit of time to come and see what you've been up to lately.  Happy Crafting all!

It takes as much time to build walls sturdy enough for wallflowers like you and me to lean against, as it does for us to bloom.
Ayokunle Falomo

I said I'd be back with something yellower for Rike's theme, The Colour Yellow, over at Art Journal Journey - and here I am!
With the word stickers, as well as the book pages in the background, I'm entering this in the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, where this week they are looking for Typography
At Happy Little Stampers,they are having their usual Anything Goes with Dies challenge, so I'd like to play along there
There's also a Watercolour Challenge over at Happy Little Stampers, so with my Distress Stain watercoloured flowers, I'd like to join in there too

48 comments:

Craftyfield said...

A beautiful page, Alison. The painting of the daisies is the star of the page, very fresh, like a watercolour painting, and worth going the yellow route even if we don't like the colour! Enjoy New York, I wouldn't mind spending a few days there myself...

Amanda said...

Beautiful pages, yellow so suits you. Enjoy NY
Love
Amanda x

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a wonderful spread Alison, and the yellow flowers look good here against the neutral colours of the background. Enjoy your time in New York, hugs, Valerie

Astrid Maclean said...

Just doing my once a week blog visiting.... Gorgeous spread here today, absolutely adore the way you colourd the wild flowers and they look super against that Cotswold stone background!

Enjoy your time in one of my favourite cities of the world, hope you are staying somewhere nice...

Helen said...

yes, yes, yes!! this is stunning. Love the wall, love the wildflowers (you know that) and the overall page is perfect. I'd love to visit New York one day... a dream for now.

Lenie said...

Your page is again so beautiful! I love the flowers against the stone wall and all that yellow spatter make the sun shine. Stunning!!!

experiments in paper said...

So lovely, and wonderfully evocative of Spring, especially the little budding branches. I always enjoy your ventures out into the broader color palette (though I also adore your blue/green/brown home ground). These sweet pages make me smile, hopeful and reassured that the deep snowy blanket of winter will soon give way to fresh new color and life. I hope the northeastern US spring treats you kindly! xxx Lynn

froebelsternchen said...

This is nature brought to an Altered book in a terrific way - I'm absolutely delighted with this gorgeous spread and over the moon happy to see it linked to our current collection of yellow at Art Journal Journey dear Alison! Thank you so much! The colors are right up my alley, so approptiate to our very first spring days here in my area! I can tell you that your masterful details always amaze me. Enjoy your day off and have a happy start into the new week as well!
So happy to see your amazing and unique art this Sunday morning!

Hugs, Susi

Redanne said...

Alison, your page is definitely a happy one, the delightful daisies certainly made me feel happy on this Sunday morning! The brick wall is superb and I love how the book page words still peek through gently. Your colouring and pen work on the flowers really does bring them to life. Yes, I think you should try and use yellow more often, you use it so well! Anne xx

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Lovely post Allison. I love your pages. I just laid out the brick stencil and thought I need to use this stuff. I like yellow and have been seeing more and more of it's use in lots of different things. To me it's a spring time color and that is what I am thinking "SPRING". Have fun and safe travels.

scrappergirl56 said...

I love that you used Distress Stan to paint the flowers, do not know why I do not think to do that...the color is most likely brighter and more saturated with the stain. Yes, this page makes me happy to look at, too! I have really enjoyed this "roll" you have been on in your journal and will have to be patient until you return home for the next set of pages...

Nan G said...

Popping in for an early morn visit. Oh your flowers are so pretty in yellow. Love the way you’ve painted them. Maybe NY will have an early spring while you’re there. Hugs

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is beautiful. The brick wall came out great. Fantastic artwork, and I like the words.

A Pink said...

Stunningly beautiful pages , Alison . Your textured stone wall is a wonderful backdrop for your yellow toned daisies that emit a wonderful golden glow . Love the twiggy stem buds - wonderful touch .

Hope you have a great time In NYC .
Hugs x

Marci said...

Beautiful, cheerful pages.

Rike said...

What a gorgeous art journal page with a great quote! You make me happy there is much yellow in different shades, and I am glad you enjoyed more and more the using of yellow! The brickwall is fantastic with this texture and all your details are beautiful!
Thank you for linking your fabulous artwork to my theme at AJJ!
Wish you a happy day! Rike

Dorthe said...

A most wonderful page , the brick wall is gorgeous, with the lovely flowers growing there. You painted them so beautiful, Alison, and yes, I love your new quotes , Hugs, Dorthe

Patty O'Malley said...

Love these beautiful pages, Alison. I just ordered a set of the wildflower dies and cannot wait to use them.

Neet said...

Just love your brick wall, it looks so realistic, actually looks as if the texture is real.
Those daisies are beautiful and the simple addition of the yellow against that background is simply perfect.
Hugs, Neet xx

Meggymay said...

It is a gorgeous journal spread Alison. the brick wall background looks fantastic. I love how you coloured the flower stems as well.
Yvonne xx

Etsuko said...

It seems beautiful wildflowers are breathing in front of the wall. Great painting, love it!! xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Seriously...yellow likes you...do more! I CANNOT believe the watercoloring on the flowers...perfection! The centers are on point. LOVE them, and love the whole spread! PINNED!

My name is Erika. said...

I don't know which is prettier, those flowers alone or on the brick wall. That brick wall creates such gorgeous texture. Never mind the yellow splatters Alison. Beautiful page. Hope you have a great new week. hugs-Erika

Chrissy said...

Totally gorgeous Alison..the beautiful yellow daisies just makes my heart sing..love the brick background with the txt showing through...beautiful page, love it.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Been a while since I was here but I have thoroughly enjoyed the visit Alison. This spread is definitely the icing on the cake. I love your daisies. Your colouring is perfection and the brick wall in the background is the perfect foil for those sweet flowers. Yellow may not be your fave colour but you use it so well. Love, love, love this!! Have a fabulous time in New York, regardless of the weather!! hugs xx

Barbara said...

Wow Alison! you are so talented! your use of new Tim's flowers is amazing! Love every detail of these journal pages! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! Barbara

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Another beautiful way to use those flowers, I love that textured wall behind, makes those flowers pop pop pop. Yellow really does encourage creativity.
A beautiful double page spread to hold those cherished words.
I'm in love with the new TH does and don't think I will ever get around to share everything already made.
Wishing you many adventures in NYC.
Creative Hugs Tracey x

Cocofolies said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!
And your coloring of these new lovely spring flowers and their stems is magical.
Off to look at your new stamps, and samples with them, Alison!
Have a lovely week in New-York and happy work time.
Coco xx

craftytrog said...

Your yellow flowers look beautiful on that textured background Alison. Hope all goes well in New York.
Alison x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous journal pages. The textured background and those lovely flowers....perfect. Happy creative week, Angela xXx

Mac Mable said...

Love the yellow Alison and you sure are embracing it. The tones of your layout are fabulous. Love the white accents on the flowers and the use of your dip pen throughout is fabulous. Hope you managed to get out and about on your one day off. Sending hugs x

SewPaperPaint said...

Such amazing motivational words! Oh I've missed your stunning creations my friend. I hope you are doing well. Congrats on the newest stamps with PA too! These flowers are colored so beautifully and look incredible against your brick wall. Awesome inspiration. Big hugs, Autumn

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hello Alsion! I'm looking at your artwork and it's truly delightful! Hooray for yellow ; )lol Your inking & staining is perfect for these daisies- I see an artists eye at work every step of the way. Turned out beautiful! Loving all the texture and effects on the pages walls too, great inking and natural looking Cotswold stone~ The setting is so life-like. Nice text too! (I wish I would remember to frame and shadow my sentiments! for I really like the look) Thanks for taking time to share with us. Hope all is going well for you in NYC. Hugs, karen o

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am running way, way behind again, Alison and am so sorry for that. I just learned I have pneumonia and was told to rest. I love your beautiful art. I wish I had it as an example when I created something for tomorrow. I really, really want those stem die cuts. They are beautiful, but so are the flowers.

That wall is incredible, and so textural. The entire layout out is thoughtful and has the perfect amount of yellow for Rike's theme at Art Journal Journey. I love this and am truly inspired by it, dear.

Brenda Brown said...

Gorgeous sunny spring pages, yellow certainly was the colour to use on this layout, your wildflowers are stunning.
Hope you got to get a walk in the fresh air. Xxx

sarascloset said...

This beautiful art journal page brings such a wonderful breath of fresh spring air! Your wildflower stems are colored so perfectly--you are quite the watercolorist, Alison! How inspiring...I want to go crack open my long neglected art journal and make. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Off to see the rest of what I've been missing!

Lace Age Girl said...

A breath of gorgeous Spring happiness - the yellow tones do make one feel brightened. I love what you've done with all these elements. A stunning spread, Alison!

WendyK said...

An absolutely fantastic page, love the texture and those daisies are lovely. That will be a more more on the overdraft.

Sue said...

What beautiful pages Alison, the flowers look wonderful against the brick wall. Such a shame that you couldn't take your journal with you as you really are on a roll in it. Have a wonderful time in New York and I hope that the weather improves for your next day off lol x

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your yellow wallflowers looks so happy 😁. They are so beautifully painted and arranged against your stencilled wall - perfect! I hope you have had a lovely week and wishing you a wonderful weekend! J 😊 x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I love your word stamps . Alison this is such an elegant piece. I love the texture on each page and the retained white space. The colours on the flowers are stunning. Truly beautiful ❤️❤️

BożenA said...

Beautiful card Art Journal. I love your sunny meadow. Your daisies look like a million dollars !!
Thank you for sharing this wonderful card with us at HLS Watercolor.
Bożena DT HLS

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing your fantastic project with us in the Happy Little Stampers February "Anything Goes With Dies" challenge and we hope to see you again next month!
Hugs,
Leslie, HLS Dies Team
Love To Scrap 2

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am way behind with catching up on blogs but have to say that this scene is wonderful! It is just like one of the old walled gardens we visit! I love those daisies! Hugs, Chrisx

Diana Taylor said...

These are so very beautiful Alison, and they look perfect against that gorgeous textured wall. I also love the delicate shading on each flower, so natural looking and yet such a variety of colours. Yellow is not a natural 'go to' colour for me but I am definitely inspired to use it more now!

Anna-Karin said...

This is so beautiful Alison!! I love the yellow on that soft neutral background. The flowers are perfectly coloured.

maria's knutselplezier said...

Great pages, I love the structure and I love the way you painted every flower, great details , great image!!

Have fun!!
Maria

Cath Wilson said...

This is quite simply stunning. I love all your elements and the way they come together so beautifully in an understated way. Gorgeous.
Cath x