I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 6 July 2018

The Promise of Spring

Hello all!  There's a new challenge starting on A Vintage Journey today.  The lovely Nikki would like us to Get Sentimental... so she wants to see lots of sentiments on your projects, be they words, quotes or poems.  As always, there's lots of amazing inspiration from my fabulous fellow Creative Guides, so do hop across to take a look.  But first, here's my offering for you.


I've created a couple of springtime panels using my own PaperArtsy quote stamps from EAB06 Spring Edition, and Scrapcosy's lovely word stencils.  And yes, I do know I'm in the wrong season, but in these sultry summer days I think it's rather nice to remember the gentleness of the fresh spring breeze!







I used a technique learned from the lovely Raquel a.k.a. Scrapcosy to create my wood effect in the background.













You can find out how to do it yourself by watching her brilliant tutorial video here.

I added some extra pen work to doodle some knots and imperfections though, in the end, they've mostly been covered up... ah well!












The covering up started with adding these torn strips from the Tim Holtz Wallflower Paper Stash.  I'm not sure why I chose the eggs.  There was just something about the soft blue of the "wooden planks" which put me in mind of duck egg blue, I guess!










And it was the eggs which triggered the springtime theme.  I knew (obviously) that I had plenty of springtime quotes to choose from in my EAB06 Spring Edition.  This one is by Charles Lanman...












... and the second one is from a writer called Byron Caldwell Smith (a name to conjure with).  They're stamped in Watering Can Archival, edged with Stormy Sky Distress Ink, and mounted on padded tape.













All I needed now were some other reminders of cool spring breezes.  These lilies of the valley have featured before (on my Glimpses of Springtime mini book), and I daresay they'll feature again, as I have a large bunch of them, handed on to me by a friend who no longer wanted them for home decor purposes.













For plastic flowers, I think they're actually really pretty.  There are some Tim Holtz Garden Greens Thinlits tucked in behind for extra greenery.














And at the top of each panel, I added another lily of the valley bud and a little sprig of leaves, punched from the same paper with one of the TH punches.













The little bluebirds are also done with a TH punch, cut out from some Stormy Sky-inked card.















A touch of white spatter, blossom falling in the spring breezes, finishes everything off.









So that's my sentimental memory of springtime.  I hope you'll be inspired to Get Sentimental with us this month.  If you're in need of some more inspiration, you'll find plenty of it over at A Vintage Journey, where my fellow Creative Guides have been their usual brilliant selves in creating magic to share with you.


Thanks so much for stopping by today.  If you can take the heat, you can come back later this evening for another helping of Words and Pictures... but for something a little different.  Hope to see you soon!

If it’s going to be a world with no time for sentiment, it’s not a world that I want to live in.
Christopher Isherwood

30 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

wow, love this technique, the boards look amazing. thanks for the link :)

Julia Aston said...

Love your wooden planks Alison - the speckled eggs and sweet lily of the valley (I can smell their lovely scent!)Sweet little birds and white splatter - and of course - your wonderful quotes! Julia xx

Valerie-Jael said...

So beautiful Alison! Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

Beauties! the quotes go so well too. (I love all your quotes) such soft colours too for the hot hot days we are having.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Such pretty little panels Alison, the background reminds me of a Kitchen door I once painted to resemble this effect many many moons ago. Beautiful colours and those embellishments all marry so perfectly.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend & Thank you as always for sharing.
Creative wishes Tracey xx

Brenda Brown said...

These are both such delightful panels Alison beautifully created and finished with such elegant effects. The whole idea of a sentimental memory of springtime is a lovely idea and quite welcome in contrast to this wonderful heat we are having. Have a lovely weekend xxx

Redanne said...

Oh wow Alison, I thought they were real little wooden strips - such a great technique, definitely one to try! The snowdrops and the eggs are so beautiful against the garden greens and wooden backdrop, and they are perfect with your lovely sentiments. The splatters really bring the whole of the scenes together beautifully. Anne xx

Astrid Maclean said...

That panel effect is so clever, it really looks like wood! And yes it is refreshing to see a Spring project in these hot summer days (even here in Scotland it has been warm/hot) The flowers and garden greens work beautifully together with those lovely eggs, - altogether a beautiful project!

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning, Alison. I love your panels, so beautiful and lovely ...

Hugs
Anke

Patty O'Malley said...

I love your panels, Alison! The little bird, lilies of the valley, and inspiring quotes work together perfectly on the pretty background. With the weather being so hot these days, a touch of spring is most welcome!

Monika Gulyas said...

Beautiful wooden panels, Alison!!! I love your soft colours!!! Big hugs

Paper Wishes said...

The colours in eggs are so you! browns, blues, and subtle muted palete I can see why they work so well on your project. These are lovely, thank you for sharing them. x Amanda

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous panel effects, i also thought it was wood.
Its a beautiful project.
Yvonne xx

Fliss said...

These are really gorgeous Alison and the woodgrain technique is so effective. Love the soft blue hues and the use of the eggs is inspired.
Fliss xx

Nan G said...

Fabulous tags butterfly! That wood technique is cool. I went and watched her video. Hugs

Marci said...

These tags are lovely. They do look like Spring.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh this is such a lovely trip back to Spring Alison! The wood technique certainly works and everything you added to it sums up one of the better Spring days we had this year!Hugs,Chrisx

Craftyfield said...

Lovely subtle colours as you know how to do so well, Alison! The wooden background looks great too...

craftytrog said...

Beautiful!!! I love that wood effect background and the pretty lilies of the valley! xx

Sue said...

These are really beautiful, and I LOVE how you've made the wooden effect background - definitely something for me to try. Have a very happy weekend, Sue xx

Dorthe said...

These are so adorable, - you know me, so my style, and the loveliness of texts and images, and flowers, makes me smile happy smiles- they are so very beautiful, dear Alison. xx

A Pink said...

A delightfully duo of Springtime panels , Alison . The wood effect background are so impressive and you have embellished them with such a lovely sensitivity to the season. Your springtime quotes are the perfect finishing touch.

Hugs x

Nikki Acton said...

Perfect!!! These are gorgeous Alison - and oh for a gentle spring breeze right now! Love your wood effect and choice of paper and quotes. As always, wonderfully balanced colour and composition. Nikki xx

Mrs.B said...

I actually thought these were wood - beautiful panels, love the soft blues and lovely spring details
Avril xx

SewPaperPaint said...

These are so very beautiful! I love that you added the punched bird, I find he doesn't get enough attention and is such a lovely element. Thanks for sharing Raquel's bg tut, off to check it out! I love me a good wood plank! :) Hugs, Autumn

Jackie PN said...

Wow Alison, you really nailed that technique Scrapcosy shared! I will have to check it out!
Such beautiful sentiments your stamps are and they fit lovely with your elements. Beautiful tags!
Jackie xx

Gio said...

Your artworks all good all year round :-) And this is no exception, so delicate and elegant. Beautiful background and composition. I love it!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous! Don't you just love it when you see things that people are going to through away and say "I can use that for my art!". The ultimate upcycling of lilies! Gorgeous wood planks. I loved the YouTube tutorial. How cool! Your doodled knots are fantastic. Love the "depth" that you gave between the planks and the edges of the boards. I think the stenciled backgrounds are stunning as is!!! Then you added all the luscious layers. So gorgeous. Pinned! --Mary Elizabeth

Shirley said...

What a wowser Alison and thanks for the youtube link.

Also thank you for your lovely comment on my blog very much appreciated.

Very busy at the moment because I have changed my craft room over so have been painting some of my furniture and moving everything into it. Nearly finished just putting the finishing touches.

Hopefully will have more time to pop on over to see all your makes.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsArtwork.

sally said...

Lovely spring post....feels like autumn here tonight with the thunderstorm!

Sally xx