I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 6 October 2017

A True Autumnal Day







Hello all!  It's time for a new challenge on A Vintage Journey and our host, the lovely Jennie, is going Crazy For Autumn Colour.  As always there's some glorious inspiration from my fellow Creative Guides, and here's my offering for you.

I seem to be slightly fixated on tags at the moment.  When you're feeling pressed for time, it's a really manageable creative space to play on; or if your mojo is feeling sluggish, there's very little pressure in just having a mess around with a tag.

I'm not saying either of those things was the case with this one - this was an experiment tag (another great tag-use)... still playing with how those Distress Inks and Distress Oxides work together.  I really enjoy the balancing act of transparent DIs and opaque DOs.













For this one I started with all Distress Inks on the mat, dipping and smooshing until I had a nice inky complexity.

I guess there's Spiced Marmalade and Wild Honey involved, and maybe some Rusty Hinge?













I then brought in Oxides from around the edges - Frayed Burlap, Vintage Photo and maybe Walnut Stain (it's a long time between making the tag and writing this post, sorry!).

I love how this gives the impression of the gathering dusk to what had been a really bright tag.












And there's that clear autumn light in the centre of the tag, and then the mists of mellow fruitfulness creeping in around the edges thanks to the chalkier opacity of the Oxides.

As you can see, I've already started stamping by this point - some of my much loved Tim Holtz wild grasses.











I stamped in various inks - some Oxide, some Distress, some Archival - and clear-embossed some for that shimmer of light that I love.

I was enjoying the glossy reflective embossing so much that I decided to add some all the way around the edges - just swiping on Versamark embossing ink direct from the pad.












In places where it seemed too much, I used a brush to soften the edges, brushing away the powder before heating it.  I love the texture you get into the bargain!












From there, it's really pretty straightforward...

The fabulous Thinlits crow is front and centre, with a  touch of spatter.











As I was providing some earthy shadows for him to stand on - a Sharpie marker, as I needed something which would work over the embossing - I realised I really loved the shading effect over the embossing.

So I added more around all the edges, just gently using the side of the nib.  I love how it highlights bits of the texture - or lowlights them, I guess.










At the heart of it all are some more of my new word stamps.

Yes, okay, I'm slightly obsessed with them - but then I wouldn't want to offer up to you words that didn't inspire me too... and they do!








These are from PaperArtsy EAB04 The Autumn Edition, some words by George Eliot, though I've not used the whole quote (hence the comma at the "end" - imperfection duly embraced).

(Has anyone noticed that I'm making sure to include at least one woman's words on each plate?  Obviously, over the centuries, far more men's words have been recorded, but I don't want ever to put out an all-male set and ignore the female voice.)









And what is the large raven looking over his shoulder to see?

Another of my favourite Tim Holtz stamps - the flock of birds circling in the sky, preparing to leave for warmer climes.












Most ravens don't migrate, so I guess he's either gazing longingly or looking scornfully at the lightweights who are setting off to avoid the cold winter weather...















...especially since they're leaving when this last autumn sunshine is still so beautiful.














Some simple rustic twine finishes the whole thing off, and that's pretty much your lot here at Words and Pictures.

But, as I said, there's oodles more inspiration to be found over at A Vintage Journey where my fabulous teammates have been going Crazy for Autumn Colour so do hop over to take a look, and we hope you'll join us along the way. 













There's a wonderful prize package on offer from the brilliant Calico Craft Parts which will go to one randomly drawn winner...








... and you could be selected as one of our Pinworthies and invited to join us further down the road as a Guest Creative Guide - so get out those autumn colours and go crazy!

Thanks for stopping by today and I'll see you again soon.

The air is crowded with birds - beautiful, tender, intelligent birds - to whom life is a song.
George Henry Lewes






I'd like to share this over at the That's Crafty Challenge Blog where the theme is Forever Autumn
At the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge they're taking A Walk on the Dark Side - I hardly ever use black, so with my raven, my Sharpie framing and the gathering darkness of autumn I hope this is dark enough
I'd also like to make a third and final entry at Frilly and Funkie where the request is to Show Us Your Stamps
In a lovely piece of timing, at Stamps and Stencils the new theme is Autumn: Season of Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness - perfect!

52 comments:

Kate Yetter said...

So many fabulous textures to the edges of this tag! I love the white splatters...they look like falling snow. This tag reminds me of a scene out of the movie Sleeping Beauty. Happy weekend.
Kate

S@ndy Diller said...

Great colors and textures and don't forget the stamps. Love the entire thing.
Hugs, S@ndy

My name is Erika. said...

That page feels like that spooky time of an autumn sunset. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous tag, love the colours and the subtly spooky feel to it. Hugs, Valerie

R's Rue said...

Great job.

Helen said...

Glorious tag, some fantastic autumnal colours and embossing.

Ruth said...

Beautiful colours, love the grasses and splats and rather liking the crow die too. Loving this autumnal plate of yours, wonderful words, perfect for your tag. Hope you might enter it in another challenge.... :) Ruth xxx

Jennidee Mills said...

It looks beautiful but makes me melancholy too as it is Spring here in Australia and coming into Summer which I hate. And I adore Autumn

Redanne said...

Gorgeous autumnal tones Alison, the grasses work perfectly and the low lights around the edge are a lovely touch. I had noticed the female additions to your beautiful stamp sets, yes - always good to see the female voice represented! The George Eliot quote you used on this tag is just perfect! Anne xx

craftytrog said...

A glorious Autumn tag Alison!

Sue said...

What a beautiful tag Alison. I love how you've captured the Autumnal light in the centre, then darkened the edges. The glossy clear embossing is perfect, and you have such a delicate spatter - love it! Have a very happy weekend, Sue xx

Cestina said...

I am sitting every day, looking across the valley at the glorious autumn colours on the hillside opposite my windows. The swallows, poor things, have left already for warmer climes but in my book, little beats this season and you and George Eliot have captured it perfectly...xx

Ruth said...

Popped back to say Serendipity! Thanks so much for joining us at Stamps and Stencils with this glorious autumnal tag! Hugs Ruth xxx

Jackie PN said...

Another gorgeous piece of artwork Alison!!
those colors...YUM!!! So rich and yes, I too can feel the dusk settling in !
Perfect stamping and the embossing gives that POW! factor!
I had not realized about your adding the women;d quotes, but I am sure glad you are working on getting their voices out there to be heard!
hugs my friend,Jackie xo

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wow Alison! This just speaks of a frosty Autumn day! I love how you created the sunshine in the centre of the tag and then all those wonderful textures around the edges. A fabulous tag for this month's colourful challenge! Have a great weekend. Jennie x

Patty O'Malley said...

Fabulous tag, Alison! Your details are always amazing!

Dorthe said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Alison.
The dusk created so beautiful, I love it, and also your embossed grasses . You tells such a lovely story with this amazing tag.
Hugs, Dorthe

froebelsternchen said...

Oh my gosh - your tags are always sensational - this one is no exception - ADORABLE !!!
Happy weekend Alison!

Monika Gulyas said...

Sooo beautiful!!! Your background is so realistic... when the sun shines on the autumn colours. The clear embossing makes it more interesting! I love it! xx

Meggymay said...

Its a gorgeous tag Alison, , a great quote as well.
Yvonne xx

maj. said...

Great, beautiful background! Gorgeous tag!

hazel said...

A stunning tag, I love the colours and the beautiful background.
xxx Hazel.

Fliss said...

An absolutely stunning tag Alison. The textures in the background are just gorgeous and the colours so beautifully Autumnal.
Love everything about this.
Thanks so much for joining in with our challenge at That's Crafty! and wishing you lots of luck.
Fliss xx

rachel said...

Absolutely beautiful Alison - gorgeous autumnal colours and that bird is fabulous - love it! Hugs rachel xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Gorgeous Autumnal tag Alison with stunning colours and beautiful stamped elements. The raven in black really pops, and of course the text finishes it off perfectly!

experiments in paper said...

As much as I love your expertise in blending and combining blues, greens and browns, I have to say this autumnal make absolutely resonates with me (plus I love anything with ravens and that Tim Holtz stamp!) So evocative of this annual transition into what for me is generally a cosy and reflective season... and thank you for pointing out the women in your PA Eclectica collection - I'd not noticed that, but so important! Have lots of ideas for them which I hope to try soon, including the newest set which have become available on this side of the pond this past week. Thanks, as always, for such beautiful and thoughtful inspiration, Alison! xxx Lynn

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

You always amaze me Alison how you can turn a humble tag into such a wondrous work of art!!
Hugs
Donna xx

suzyb said...

This is one of my all time favourites Alison! I have a raven die from Tim holtz that I can't wait to use on a tag. I will be using yours for reference ;) Your colour and the embossing around the edges, just great. I really do think this is up there in my favourite catagory as usual. All yours are my favs lol Thank you for the idea and the way you made this one. Thank you again.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The warm and intense colors are wonderfully contrasted with the embossing. It reminds me of the first freeze in the fall. Beautiful tag!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This is amazing Alison, just look at those colours and both subject and words so perfect for the season. Reminds me of a canvas I am currently repairing. Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration and joining the That's Crafty Forever Autumn Challenge. Hugs & warm wishes Tracey xx

Craftyfield said...

Very atmospheric! All the layers of inks and EP combine beautifully in this perfect autumnal make with a hint of Halloween. Utterly beautiful, Alison!

Gaby Bee said...

It is always fun to come here and see what you have been doing. This tag looks fantastic, Alison! Love it!!!

Gaby xo

Annie said...

Hi Alison love the way you have created those autumnal tones and the feel of the light fading as we get closer to winter xx The bird/raven stamps are perfect and your quote sits so well too xxx

Sending huge hugs
Annie xx

SueC said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, love the moody feel with shaded frame. Sue C x

Dortesjs said...

whii love this tag, very autumn and great with layers and colourings

sarascloset said...

Hi Alison, I've not yet gotten around to see the beautiful Autumn color creations over at A Vintage Journey, so I am excited to see that you've entered this into "Show Us Your Stamps" over at Frilly and Funkie!

Beautiful fall colors and one really gets the feel of the Autumn light--stunning background for your favorite stamps! I especially am attracted to your multiple mediums used to stamp those weeds (a favorite of mine, too, but long forgotten!). It gives so much depth and sense of movement. Perfect splattering and a lovely post to go along with your beautiful pictures! Hugs!

maria's knutselplezier said...

Beuatiful , great tag, I really love the colours and image of the background, it really shows us , automn time, the bird looks a bit dangerous!! I love this!!

Have fun!!
Maria

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow.. this is such a gorgeous creation, Alison. The colors and texture you created are stunning on this tag! :)

A Pink said...

A really stunning tag! Alison. So artfully created to capture the pure essence of Autumn . The black silhouette raven is so striking against the rich orange glow peeking through the dusky grasses with those lovely touches of glistening shimmer. Your creativity ( and of course your words) sum up Autumn perfectly .
x

simo said...

Oh wow Alison..this sure was inspirational...Love the colors used for the background as they are my fave! Stunning...hugs xxx Simona

Zoey | Scrapsaurus said...

WOW this tag is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I am in awe!!
Thank you for playing along with us over Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, we all hope to see you again next week!
x Zoey

Hazel Agnew said...

Words and images marry together in absolute harmony. Totally love this! Xx

Kerstin F. said...

Love your wonderful autumn colours and the melancholic mood! Awesome!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous tag! The colours are just brilliant! Hugs, Chrisx

Suzanne C said...

Love this! The beautiful background is fabulous! I love how you layered this up with the stamping, die cuts and rich colors! Thanks for playing along with the frilly and funkie challenge "Show Us Your Stamps"!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning tag! I loved reading how you created it and the story too, the mixture of Distress Inks and Oxides is amazing, it just looks like the mist is creeping in and your ravens are beautiful 😁. I can feel the cold too with the spatters and the texture from the embossing is beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊

Jenny Marples said...

Loving the eerie effect blending those inks together has created on this fabulous tag Alison. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

Mrs.B said...

Love the background, the Oxides around the edge give a great depth.
Avril xx

Claudia N. said...

Such a beautiful tag, Alison!

I love the colours, the textures and that warm glow about it!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous tag, the white splattters look great against the rusty background.

Julia Aston said...

I apologize for not commenting sooner on your beautiful tag Alison! It appears I fell asleep for Oct and missed everyone's autumn beauties! I love your colors and wonderful bird and stem stampings - they go perfectly with your wonderful quote stamp! Julia xx

toni said...

A gorgeous autumnal tag Alison. I love the layered inky background and the way you have integrated the fabulous die cut crow into it. Thank you for joining in with our challenge at Stamps and Stencils. Toni x