I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 4 December 2012

Embossability

Hello all, delighted you could drop in on me here at Words and Pictures today.  It's Tuesday (I believe...), and time for the new fortnightly challenge at Fun With ATCs.  This time we're looking for Embossing - dry embossing, heat embossing... you take your pick, or mix and match them all on one ATC if you like!  So, I'm offering you two ATCs today - each of them using both dry and heat embossing.




To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about these...


I had to make them some time ago, as I knew I'd be away from my BigShot for November, and therefore unable to use embossing folders, so any dry embossing had to be done before going away in order to meet the DT deadline.



Coming back to look at them now, there are things I'd do differently I think... or even start all over again - but deadlines are deadlines, and here they are.  But I'd certainly recommend hopping over to see what my amazing team mates have provided for inspiration too...





































The rusty ATC has a background of Kraft Core run through the Tim Holtz Bingo embossing folder, and then painted and inked and sanded until it had a weathered look.  I added a TH die-cut key which I'd rusted up some time ago using Andy Skinner's textured rust technique.








The lock is cut from the same Hardware Findings die, from some chipboard covered in numbers paper (which I think was from the Vintage Gentleman's Kit I got from Vintage Page Designs, but I'm not completely sure now...).

I then used some Vintage Photo Distress embossing powder - which has a lovely rusty texture all its own - to edge the lock, and attached it using a couple of Idea-ology long attachers.   I used the Vintage Photo powder around the edges of the ATC too.








I used an embossing pen to highlight the word FREE in the centre, and then added clear embossing powder to it for a glossy finish.











On another piece of kraft card, I wrote my little sentiment Unlock Your Potential using the same embossing pen, but in the end decided I preferred to UTEE the whole of the piece of card rather than just the lettering.  It's mounted on a piece of rusty mesh from the Funkie Junkie Boutique.







For the silvery ATC, I started with a piece of black cardstock, and cut it to the ATC size - 2.5 x 3.5 inches.  

I stamped one of the recent Stampers Anonymous Classics releases in clear embossing ink, and applied silver embossing powder.  Once that was heated, I used some of the mica paint from the palette I created for a previous project to add colour to the image.  

I trimmed the corners of the ATC to the same angle as the stamped image.  

And on the very edges I used some of the Frantage Aged Silver embossing powder - that's the one that has the varied colours within it.








On the top and bottom edges I used the little TH embossing folder out of the Pattern and Stitches set, and then swiped clear embossing ink onto the raised stitches and added silver embossing powder to those two.

I do like all the diagonals and angles within this ATC, and the silver against the black.  The gleam that you get when you tilt it in the light is pretty yummy, so I think it probably comes out as my favourite of the two.  

I don't know... what do you think?!


It's so great to have you drop in today...  Do pop over to Fun With ATCs and see what my amazing team mates have been up to, and of course we'd love to have you play along.  It was lovely to see so many familiar faces amongst the entrants last time round!  

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
Winston Churchill

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
Bill Cosby

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful. 
Albert Schweitzer

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that key looks like it is a hundred years old - that looks fabulous! Such gorgeous techniques - makes me want to whip up a couple of ATC's

annes paperfun said...

Lovely work, Alison!
The key is just gorgeous ♥
Hugs, Anne

Claudia N. said...

Especially love the first one very much, Alison! The worn look you managed to achieve is so beautiful!

And after having seen this gorgeous ATC I hardly can wait to get my Sizzix for Xmas!!! Grrrr!

Hugs,
Claudia xx

Francesca said...

Love the rusty key, its amazing what one can do with a little paint....Love Francesca

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, they look fantastic, specially LOVE that rusty looking key!!

Jenny Marples said...

So many thought-provoking ideas here, which is often the whole point of ATC's. Great to try out concepts in a short space of time, perfect for sharing with others so we all get to decide what we can take from them.
For me, using Distress Embossing Powders in a more patchy way (maybe with Antique Linen in the background) on elements like keys will definitely be on the to do list. The contrast of pearl/metallic on black is also always a winner.
Boy, you do your 'job' well don't you?! Hugs, Jenny xx

Redanne said...

The fact that you have come back to these and would change things just shows how far you have moved on with your art! They are both beautiful, the rusty key on the first one is fabulous and the second ATC is wonderful, the colour, the detail. You do do the most amazing work Alison. Hugs, Anne x

May said...

Gorgeous ATC's I am glad you didn't have time to change them otherwise my eyes would not have seen these two Beautiful projects... What a feast for the eyes!! I love them both Alison... your work is AmAzing... Hugs May x x x

Janny Jager said...

Great Atc's Alison.
I adore the one with the key.

Greetings Janny

Unknown said...

They look amazing Alison and that key looks so authentique. I want to give that technique a go when things calm down a bit after the holidays. The black and silver is very striking and I think you've done an amazing job with both of these. :) Don't be too hard on yourself lol. Hugs

Bärbel said...

Zwei wunderbare ATC's, liebe Alison, der rostige Schlüssel und das Schloss sowie die Gestaltung des ersten ATC gefallen mir besonders gut!

mark gould said...

I love them Alison, the second one has one of my faves stamps that I am still yet to get :( roll on xmas.
the silver on black is always classy and I love the frantage powders.
I think its hard when things are made a little time ago and then when we re visiting them we always think about how it could be done now. art/crafting is a constant growing of ideas and techniques.
Love the Andy Skinner key as well ;)

Anonymous said...

You are being far too tough on yourself as the ATCs are quite wonderful with the texture you achieved and the detailing on such a small substrate.
Wishes
Lynne

catherine said...

Just stunning Alison and creativity as always from you. Love the effects
x catherine

Inkypinkycraft said...

Alison there are wonderful ATC's ..made one for the last challenge and missed blogging...I have serious rusty key envy....IT is wonderful...love trace x

Netty said...

Great ATC's with fab textures, whoever receives them will be thrilled to bits. xx

sam21ski said...

Fantastic Alison, great textures.

Shall have to hop over to the blog, make one and join in!!

Sam xxx

Hettie said...

Love these Alison, especially the second one as I just love that stamp. I use it alot.
Great inspiration pieces.
xx

froebelsternchen said...

simply wonderful!!!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a gorgeous details Alison!!!
Lovely style...your style!


greetings, Alie :-)

Annie said...

Hi Alison great crafty makes. I love the rusty key and lock. I managed to break my habit of rusting everything as I love the technique.

Vintage photo is my favourite DI. Can't live without it.

Love your black and silver ATC.

I have a few crafty projects that I would now make differently x.

Hindsight !!!

Hugs

Annie x

trisha too said...

It's funny how when you go back an look at something, it's either it seems better than it did when you made it, or you'd like to change something up . . but this is a fine lot of inspiration, Alison, no need for any do-overs here!

:)

Sarah said...

After seeing your ATCs I just had to play along. Thanks for the inspiration, Alison.

Yvonne said...

Gorgeous samples, Alison!

Shelby said...

Beautiful ATC. I love all of the different ways you've played with embossing and really like how you've done the word Free. Great work as always

Shelby

chrissie said...

Wonderful samples--love the rusty key look.

Best wishes Chrissie xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

It's amazing all you can get on these! Love the embossing and that key is fabulous!

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous pieces both of them, I love the rusty key and the lock and also the stamp and silver embossing. I think it's great when we can come back to some of our art and see it in a different light and consider what changes we would make.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a fabulous ATC, great texture on it.

Gráinne said...

They're both fab, still like the first one a little bit more, though :-) Gorgeous embossing on both of them.
Suzanne

maj. said...

This ATC is gorgeous, such pretty colours and embellies!!!

Margaret said...

I think both of these are wonderful, but understand your thought process! I tend to analyze my projects too! The techniques on the first are fabulous and give such a wonderful weathered look. The ATC is stunning! I love the black and silver and the texture on this is amazing!