I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 22 October 2017

The Music of Silence

Time for the last sample using EAB03 Music and Silence (click to catch Rainbow Serenity and/or the Singing Zinskis if you missed them).  I wanted this one to go out on a Sunday as this triptych seemed just right for a day of contemplation.


These tags were very simple to make and I hope that in that simplicity they offer peace and serenity.  This was a lovely project to make, marrying my new quotes with older PaperArtsy images, and finding that those images take on new life and meaning for me.





I started with a trusty favourite - the PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze.  It's a two step process, so you choose your background paint colour, then apply the glaze and then your top coat of paint goes over that.

I'm working with the gentlest of palettes, so there's French Roast in the background with a thin coat of glaze applied with a palette knife... the thinner, the better. 









Once the glaze is dry (which you can speed along with a heat tool), you can apply the top coat of paint.  You have to do it fairly efficiently as the crackle magic starts happening pretty much immediately, so it's no good going over an area twice once you've started. 












That top layer of paint has to be left to dry and crackle by itself.  Depending on glaze and paint thicknesses, you'll get lovely variegation in your weathered crackle.















Once it was ready, I did some simple dip and smoosh into Stormy Sky Distress Ink on my craft mat - don't seem to have any photos of this step, but you can see the effect on most of these photos.
















When I work with a triptych I like to find a balance across all three panels, so I juggled a little with the positioning of the quotes and the image placement so that there would be a harmony to the set.















I was thrilled to find that by splitting the Victor Hugo quote... 













... the second half fitted completely perfectly into the bookplate in the collage stamp from Hot Picks 1006.













This Music and Silence plate includes some of my favourite quotes of all time.  In fact, these Pythagoras words accompany my Skype identity. 














As a (mostly) former insomniac, I know the value of a quiet mind.  There are still occasional nights where it won't shut up, but I know how to work with it now.









Apart from the Hot Picks birds-in-grasses collage in the middle, the other stamps are all from the Urban Snapshots Nature series.  (Remember you can click on the photos to see a larger version.)

I've always loved the statue (and thankfully it has remained free of the Doctor Who "Blink" horrors), and now, paired with my favourite words, I love it even more!






A couple of leafy branches provide useful balancing of the composition on each tag.
















I've done some subtle background stamping also using the quotes.  I think it's Archival French Ultramarine, if memory serves.  And obviously each tag has the echo of its own words going on.

I used some inked white card to mat and frame the tags (they're going on the display boards, so I think the framing is good to define and draw the eye in.













And simple rustic twine tops them off - no need for anything extravagant here... we're all about the tranquillity today.






So, we've finally reached the end of the Music and Silence samples... a little more Autumn and Winter to come and we'll soon be done!  Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I hope you're enjoying a wonderful Sunday, whatever you're up to.

It is neither wealth nor splendour, but tranquillity and occupation which give you happiness.
Thomas Jefferson

35 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous set of tags! Hugs, Valerie

Fliss said...

Such serene, calm and peaceful tags Alison. So perfect for a Sunday too. Really love the textured crackle and the simple stamping is so elegant.
Fliss xx

Dortesjs said...

aww your good at this love to read about your work with paste and so on...

Amanda said...

Stunning trio of tags, beautiful serenity.
Love
Amanda x

Cestina said...

Brilliant Sunday offering. Am listening to Bach as I read...xx

froebelsternchen said...

They are utterly beautiful dear Alison! I love the peaceful and serene look - perfect for All Hallows!
oxo Susi

Helen said...

As always, the tags marry together perfectly; the mix of quotes and images are just right. The birds in grasses is one of my all time favourite stamps.

Lys said...

A peaceful Sunday thanks to you, Alison! I love the subtle blue echo of the words. And you remind me I have to try this Two-steps crackle glaze waiting to be used on my craft table... Thanks for the inspiration!

Annie said...

Your tags are beautiful Alison and your quotes certainly do give meaning to the PA stamps...love the crackle

TFS and huge hugs
Annie x

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous soft colours. the texture, images and of course your super quotes can all be enjoyed when seeing your fabulous tags.
Yvonne xx

Dorthe said...

They are so very beautiful Alison, so serene and peaceful, love your crackled background and the soft color tones. Your quotes stands so strong, and the stamps are lovely . Seeing your tags make me feel at peace in my own silence !!
Dorthe, xoxo

Patty O'Malley said...

Oh, these tags are utterly wonderful, Alison! I love them!

Jane said...

These are very serene Alison..gorgeous colours and crackle. I agree though re the angel stamp..very Dr Who.LOL. Your quotes again set these off perfectly... a gorgeous trio and looking at them with my G+T in hand on this Sunday evening is very pleasant indeed. Enjoy your evening xxx

Monika Gulyas said...

Fabulous tags, fabulous crackles, and fabulous texts!!! xxx

Corrie Herriman said...

Beautiful tags ! Love your quote stamps !!
Corrie xx

Redanne said...

What can I say... an exquisite combination of words and pictures Alison. I love your choice of stamps and the words are perfect and so is that fabulous crackle! I love these! Anne xx

Astrid Maclean said...

A beautiful contemplative set with great crackle bacgrounds and wonderful stamped additions! Indeed perfect for a Sunday :o)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Alison! Having had some words to contemplate on in church this morning and a lovely walk this afternoon this is a very apt way to end my day! Thank you for this beautiful post! Hugs, Chrisx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Alison. These are brilliant, such gorgeous texture. The quotes are perfect too. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

I love them all Alison, you’re right about how calming they are just to gaze upon, a lovely little trip into nature once more
Hugs
Donna xx

experiments in paper said...

Well, I've some catching up to do with your blog, but what a wonderful way to start! And anther Dr. Who fan, no less! I adore your crackle, and of course your words with the images - perfect!! Nice eye candy and serene moment. You work magic, Alison! xxx Lynn

Sue said...

What a beautiful set of tags Alison, your words have really brought these images to life! xx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow! Such a beautiful set of tags Alison! The crackle background is amazing and I love the soothing colours and wonderful quotes. Just looking at them puts me in a calmer frame of mind .. wonderful!! Am a new follower so I can enjoy more of your fabulous art! hugs x

Kate Yetter said...

These are so perfect for Sunday! I love the crackly rustic background and the vintage stamped images. Just beautiful against your word quotes.
Kate

Jackie PN said...

What a beautiful and serene set of tags!
Alison, you nail it every time! There is nothing i do not love about your artwork- these tags are perfectly balanced and paired with their quotes and the feel of three melds beautifully together! thank you for sharing- just gorgeous my friend!
Have a beautiful week!
Jackie xo

Monika Gulyas said...

Fabulous trio of tags!!! I love your restrained colours and your beautiful quotes!!! xx

Monika Gulyas said...

Hahaha!!! I forgot that I've already left a comment :-) xx

maj. said...

These are beautiful!!!

SewPaperPaint said...

I would never have thought to stamp onto the crackle and it looks amazing! All three are so incredible. Hugs, Autumn

Hazel Agnew said...

Your dip and smooth is so perfected Alison, just love it.
What a perfect marriage of words and images. Love how you have revisited some old PA favourites.
As usual am lingering over your beautiful creations. Xx 😊

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for the step by steps and for the fabulous inspiration. Gorgeous sentiments, great techniques, love the crackle and the stamping. Wonderful x

craftytrog said...

A wonderful trio! Gorgeous colours and crackle!

Julia said...

Oh you are the master of that crackle! I would love to make things like this, they are so beautiful. I need to practice, much more practice!
Great tags again Alison and nice to see the older PaperArtsy images come out to play. x

Cocofolies said...

Another wonderful trio... Love the colours, stamping, and calm strength on the whole set. Very beautiful and peaceful.
Hugs again to you Coco xx

Kirsten said...

Beautiful tags.