I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 12 February 2016

Head in a book...

Hello everyone!  I was so thrilled to be chosen as the Design Winner for the Craft Stamper Take It and Make It December challenge.  There's already been a feature on the Craft Stamper blog (Q&A here if you're interested) and I'm so excited that my Christmas Story Book will be published in the magazine.  And as if that weren't enough, I'm also very honoured today to be offering up some inspiration for the new TIMI theme - Text Me! - which is to use a text background, some script stamping or some text paper on your project.

Given my winning piece took the form of an altered book cover, I thought this time I would dive inside a book, so here are my journalling pages in an old unwanted hardback book.  I was one of those children accused of always having my head in a book.  Well, now I've found a new way to have a head in a book!


I made this around the same time as my Hidden in a Book creation for the PaperArtsy round-ups just before Christmas... I was on a roll with the whole book niches thing I think!







There's a shimmer of gold across the whole page spread, which makes it tricky to photograph of course.  It's created with a combination of DecoArt Media Fluid in Metallic Gold and Treasure Gold gilding wax in White Fire.














For this niche, we have another PaperArtsy image - this time a Lynne Perrella stamp, adorned with gilded hair ornaments.  As I did with the last one, I stamped the image on tissue paper in order to get it inside my carved niche.














It really helps to move the thing around in different lights to show the effects - but I've still not progressed to videos, so you'll have to make do with extra photos as usual!













The gilding wax is great at picking out the texture of the Crackle Paint Harlequins which dance across the page.












Obviously, we have my favourite blue and brown combination at the heart of it all.  This time I created the soft blended colours of the first layer with Fresco paints.













I like to work with watery washes and some paper towel/baby wipes standing by, so that I can apply paint and wipe back repeatedly until I'm happy with what I've got.












Next I added some heavy gesso with a palette knife for some extra texture...















... before heading in with some darker tones of both paint and sprays...














... always making sure not to neglect the interior of the niche.  It would be no good keeping that pristine - you need some depth behind the tissue paper to come.















Wanting some highlights, I started out with pure DecoArt Metallic Gold, but the tone was a little too brassy for my liking with this particular colour combination.














So I began to apply White Fire Treasure Gold over it, and again played around until it looked okay to me.











In addition to the LP image, I stamped some Hot Picks branches as well as a PaperArtsy Mini of some medieval calligraphy.














The sentiment is from Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken, a poem I've loved for as long as I can remember... so it's lovely to have it available as a stamp in one of the PaperArtsy Urban Snapshots Nature plates.















Some white splatter?  Don't mind if I do, thank you very much.  I never tire of how it seems to add life and depth to a piece.














I'm really happy with the textures and the overall atmosphere of the pages.













And despite all the paint and alterations, I promise there are still places where you can see the text paper underneath.







I hope you'll be inspired to play along at Craft Stamper this month.  There's more inspiration over at the Craft Stamper blog, of course, where the amazing team have been in action.


For now, I'd like to say a huge thank you to them and to Trish for this fantastic opportunity, and I'll wish you all a wonderful weekend.

When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book?
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

53 comments:

chrissie said...

Another treasure for us all to admire Alison and great that you have been chosen for your work. I did think the 'Window project' you did at Christmas was outstanding so I am pleased it got recognition.
I would love to see the type of books that you find to alter as I look in the charity shops and never seem to find any I think would be suitable.

Have a lovely day

Chrissie xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Alison! From the beginning to the end of this post I love every single detail -the gorgeous colours are so you! The shimmer of gold and the Lynne Perrella image are both a big hit with me too! Along with all that is the gorgeous texture and your subtle spatters, making this THE most beautiful project! Hugs, Chrisx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Many congratulations on your win at Craft Stamper Alison. It was lovely to see you on the blog and I'm looking forward to seeing the complete article in the magazine. Fabulous niche book. I always enjoy seeing how your projects come together. Have a lovely weekend. Lx

brenda said...

Well done Alison, much deserved credit. Loving the medieval feel to this lovely piece.

B x

Amanda said...

Well deserved win. Great use of your old book, stunning!
Love
Amanda x

Almo said...

Hi Alison, first off Congratulations for your winning entry of Craft Stamper take it make it challenge, a huge achievement to get your work in print. Now your project on show here is stunning and is full delicious texture and techniques it gives a whole new meaning to having your head in a book. Your favourite blues and browns never fail you, the crackled texture paste and white splatters really add to the overall effect of your book - love it. Mo x

Heather said...

Beautiful pages Alison, stunning pages with gorgeous techniques, the highlights of gold are and fabulous, such a wonderful image and sentiment!!

hugs
Heather xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

This really is beautiful Alison, it looks so eretheral and floaty. Congrats on your win too,totally deserved. I was that sort of bookworm child too ;)
Hugs
Donna xxx

Chrissy said...

WOW!!..Gorgeous Alison and congratulations..love the colours and your technique..just makes me want to find an old book and start playing..think of the treasures you could hide inside..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Marci said...

Just lovely! Kind of ethereal with the branches and crackle and glimmers of gold.

Marci said...

Forgot to say congratulations on your win! I was a bookworm,too.

Julia Aston said...

I just love seeing how you alter old books - your layering of inks, sprays, splatter and stampings create such a wonderful atmosphere - congrats on your win too! have a great weekend Alison! Julia xx

Juliz Design Post said...

Such an enchanting beauty, simply wonderful artwork.
Julie x

Helen said...

Congratulations on your much deserved win, Alison! love today's project too, it is fabulous.

Meggymay said...

Stunning pages and I have looked at those photos twice in case I missed anything. Congratulations on your win as we..
Yvonne xx
p.s. Thanks for the tip off about the quote, I replied and it is all sorted, one of the pluses about digital work.

Hettie said...

Oh Wow Alison. This is stunning. Love the gentleness of the colours.
Hugs
xx

rachel said...

col work alison - brilliant - love the crackle within the diamonds - fab - its all brilliant though x

Anonymous said...

Alison, I was also such a child. Happy in my own company with a book or my other companions, colouring pencils and drawing pad.
The gold catches the light so beautifully and adds a lovely sense of the regal to this piece.
Congratulations on your well deserved win.
Wishes
Lynne
Also a thank you for your lovely words about Catherine Moore. A huge surprise but a very lovely one!

Margik said...

Big congrats on your win, so well deserved Alison!
Your altered book cover is a great project with fantastic textures and technique, I adore the Lynne Perrella stamps and this image looks so gorgeous with the gold ornaments. Brilliant!
Mar xx

craftytrog said...

Congratulations Alison! This is a stunning piece of book art, very inspiring!
Alison x

Lucy Edmondson said...

Huge congratulations on your winning entry. Alison. I'm not surprised though. Love the gilded Lynne perrella woman. Off to look at craft stamper now,

Lucy x

Deborah Wainwright said...

Oh my! Alison this is stunning. I love the golden textures and the blue/brown combo is a fav of mine too, but you do it with such gorgeous effects and this piece certainly does shine out. Totally love it xx

Lys said...

Congratulations, Alison! What a fabulous book, full of history it seems, and it really looks like a treasure!

Pamellia said...

A big congratulation to you Alison, you so deserve it. Your book is amazing! I love all the vintage tones, and that added brush of gold across the page really grabs the eye! hugs :)

Jackie PN said...

Oh Alison! Such fabulous news! So well deserved, I am so excited for you!
What a gorgeous spread you have here to celebrate! Love the
"Alison Palette" heehee
xo

Adventures in Paperland said...

Fantastic journal pages Alison and I loved reading about your process. Congrats on the win and being published! xx

experiments in paper said...

Congratulations, Alison! Very well deserved, and I love how you are celebrating with this project! Your book niches are always stunning, but I must say this is one of my favorites with the subtle gilding of both stamp and background....lovely!! xxx Lynn

Kasia said...

Wow! Amazing creation, Alison! Amazing pages :)

maj. said...

What a wonderful pages! Congratulations on your win!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I'm always amazing at projects done like this in a book...the work and time it must take! Awesome project, and love the sentiment, and whole old world feel!

Pawsitively Creative said...

Huge congrats on everything you have achieved! Wowzers, you could write a book just about that! I had my head in books growing up and still do. Wonderful pun with this gorgeous creation! Awesome sauce colors and shimmer. Fantabulous! Hugz ~Niki

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow... this is such a gorgeous creation, Alison. Love the amazing colors and texture you created. :)

Barbara said...

Stunning piece, so delicate and etheral! Congrats on your win!!!! Barbara

Jo said...

Fab, just fab! J xx

Cocofolies said...

Oh no, no videos please Alison!!!
This is such a joy to read you, and look at all the photos in details... Like you, when I was a child I was accused to have always the head in my books :)
And now, with you and your wonderful blog Alison, I'm feeling like this child before, opening your posts like if they were coming from a fabulous book, like the ones I treasured in my childhood... A real delight, would not be the same in video!
And today, as usual... Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!!!!
Hugs and happy Sunday to you Coco xxx

Gio said...

Winning well deserved :-) And your new altered book is to die for! Well done, Alison and Happy San Valentine's day!

Diana Taylor said...

Totally gorgeous - the gold just adds that touch of perfection. I am loving your work with book covers, you are creating such beautiful and magical worlds.

Julie Lee said...

Many Congratulations on your well deserved win at Craft Stamper. I really love your altered books. They have such a magical quality - like treasures from a fantasy story. Your favourite colour scheme is so appealing and I really like how you toned down the gold. Those little birds in the grasses are once again used to brilliant effect. How well I recall being the child with her head in a book! That feeling of losing yourself in an alternative world, where the characters became as well known to you as friends and family and you both couldn't wait to turn those pages and yet really didn't want to reach the final page, was heaven!Somehow - in a quite different way, of course - you capture that feeling with your exquisite creations! Thank You for always being so inspiring! xx

Julie Lee said...

So sorry! I went back for another look, as I couldn't resist and I realize they are not the little birds in the grasses, but grasses without birds! Silly me! Nevertheless, they are wonderful! Sorry for conflating two equally lovely projects! xx

Shirley said...

Huge congrats Allison and well deserved. Tremendous looking journal page as well.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Julia said...

Awsome pages. I love those LP images. this has so much depth to it, literally with the cut out frame. Beautiful work Alison. X

Annie said...

This is just fabulous Alison x I love every amazing detail you have incorporated and the stamped image is just perfect. I have had a book sitting all prepped for about 5 years....hopefully I can get to it soon !!!

Sending you my best wishes

Annie xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Another stunning blue and brown creation Alison, the textures are wonderful as is the stamping of course. Beautiful work like always!

hazel said...

Congratulations on your win Alison - this is amazing, fabulous textures and lovely colours.
xxx Hazel.

Kay Wallace said...

Well deserved "Guest Designer" spot, Alison! Happy for you!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely beautiful. And congratulations ! Jennie x

Evelyn Walter said...

Congrats to your publication, Alison! Again wonderful pages - a real "Alison". Love your stamping!
xxx Evelyn

SewPaperPaint said...

Beautiful layering of paints and stamps, lovely project Alison!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Congrats on being published :D These pages are really fantastic.

Kirsten said...

Congrats on your very well deserved CS win! This is a stunning transformation. I love the colours & the gold accents are gorgeous.

sarascloset said...

All I can say is mmmm....mmmm. GOOD! Gorgeous pages, lovely post! Just a great way to start my weekend! Thank you for all the beautiful photos! Hugs!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Very very nice! I really like the head you chose to put in the book. That head seems like it was made for a niche in a book! Perfect as always!

Ruth said...

Huge, well deserved congrats on your win, such a beautiful book, the type of project you do so perfectly. Adore the images chosen and the gilding is just amazing!! Ruth xx