I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 27 February 2015

Lynne Perrella Stained Glass

Hello all!  I'm aware that I promised some follow-up posts from the PaperArtsy releases at the beginning of the month and, as usual, time seems to have slipped away from me.  But here's the first of a few chances to take a closer look at some of the samples I created for the fabulous Lynne Perrella stamp release.


This large hanging panel, based on a corrugated cardboard background was one of the hardest to part with when I had to send the samples off to Leandra!




I stamped this magnificent image in Black Archival onto Smoothy Stamping Card, and clear-embossed it with some detail embossing powder.  This makes it much easier to "stay within the lines" when painting, but also gives a slight sense of dimension for the look of leaded windows.  I think you can see the embossing at the top of this photo.

I had a really wonderful time using translucent Fresco paints to colour the image, amongst them the fabulous new blues - Glass Blue, Blueberry and Southern Skies.









The red tones were built up with layers of Claret, Blood Orange and London Bus.  As I painted, I kept everything very soft and watery, to allow the colours to blend and to keep their full translucence, capturing the light.

I just love this image of the saint, with the circle of the halo echoing the headpiece of the main woman.










My greens were my usual go-tos, Hey Pesto and Limelight.  They've been given a whole new lease of life in terms of the shades you can create by mixing them with the new blues.  And the Blueberry was brilliant to create the mysterious stone arches.









I used Blush (again with plenty of water as it's an opaque) for the basic skintone, and added shadings of the reds as well as some Autumn Fire if memory serves.













I added a layer of Glossy Accents to the whole image to create a slightly dimensional surface, similar to real glass, I hope.  The gloss coat also refracts light in a different way, helping the colours to stay really intense and bold.












For the metallic embellishments, I used the new blue Frescos again, just to add a hint of colour.











And I dug out the shimmery shiny gems hiding deep in the stash - not something I use very often! - and added them to the mix.  I used Red Pepper alcohol ink to add colour to some of them.














The dragonfly used to be a sort of pinky purple colour!












The little tiny gems, removed painstakingly one by one from a more ornate embellishment, wanted to stay clear. 












I love how they catch the sunlight in their new homes, decorating the stamens on this large metal flower.













The background is really pretty simple.  I used the leftover blues on my craft mat to create a blended wash on another sheet of Smoothy Stamping Card, and then layered a panel of that with book pages leftover from my candle book.

Some of the pages have been soaked in tea/coffee and some are naked, which I think provides a nice variation in colour.










The ChitChat stickers provide the words - a minimal element on this particular project, but still important.










So there's the first of the PaperArtsy samples given a bit more room to breathe.

Since I no longer have the actual pieces, it's nice to have a proper record of them here at Words and Pictures, so there will be some more of these posts along soon!  

Thanks so much for taking the time to drop in, and I'll see you soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.

Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities.  Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.
Gloria Steinem

A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.
Friedrich Nietzsche

I dwell in possibility...
Emily Dickinson



42 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

What an amazing project! I am in love with it Alison..fantastic!

Jane said...

An amazing work of art.....it is stunning and really looks like stained glass. Fabulous work x

Nikki Acton said...

I might have been reluctant to send this one too... Super creation Alison. I love the contrast of the detailed colouring on the image with the corrugated, torn paper. I am off to 'make it' today and am not buying anything...or so I think. If tHese stamps end up in my basket I won't be surprised! Nxx

chrissie said...

Magical canvas Alison and a great idea to paint the accessories to match--now why didn't I think of that?.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Sophie said...

Ein wunderschönes Kunstwerk, liebe Alison.
Ich staune nur noch über deine große Kreativität... :-)
Einfach SPITZE !

Herzlichst Sophie

Rita said...

How fabulous this looks Alison. I really cannot stop looking at it. Absolutely Stunning. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Redanne said...

Wow Alison! I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing this in close up. I don't think I would have wanted to part with this exquisite panel either - it really is stunning. I love stained glass and I really love this beautiful creation! Fabulous work. Anne xx

Amanda said...

Stunning assembly of work!! Love this!!
Love
Amanda x

itsazoo said...

Really lovely......

Hazel Agnew said...

Love the contrasts between glossy stained glass and corrugated card and print! The red accents really pop and give the piece such a fresh feel! So much detail in the painting too! I have this stamp and need to revisit! Thanks for inspiring me Alison! X

hazel said...

Stunning work, the colours are lovely and I love how you've embellished it.
xxx Hazel.

Pamellia said...

Absolutely gorgeous Alison! Your colouring is amazing and I really love the treatment you gave all the metal trinkets The splashes of Red Pepper are so eye catching!! hugs :)

Paper Profusion said...

Tremendous work Alison with this beautifully detailed stamp. Love the translucent paints and sealing. I hope they send this beauty back to you!! Have a lovely weekend. Nicola x

Terry said...

So love your stained glass work, Alison! The coloring is incredible and I can only imagine how long that takes and not to mention a steady hand! The pops of red bling is wonderful! Have a lovely weekend! Hugs!

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Ooh more beautiful stained glass work,Alison. It must take ages to get this look....a labour of love ;)
Have a fab weekend
Big hugs
Donna xxx

Kay Wallace said...

So very gorgeous, Alison! This has brought a calm to my day--if only for a short time! Thank you!

Julia Aston said...

You always put such love and devotion into your creations Alison - so many lovely colors, inks, techniques, metals! thanks for sharing how you put it all together! and have a lovely weekend!

Lys said...

Cherish possibility... They are endless in your hands, Alison! Such a beautiful work of art!

Sandy said...

Hey pretty lady! I can certainly understand your reluctance to let go of this creation. I love the composition and colors.
As you know, I know where to find you when Iwant to "borrow" some of your techniques!
Sandy xx

Chrissy said...

Stunning Alison..I love the all the metal embellishments and the splash of red...gorgeous.

luv CHRISSYxx

Deborah said...

Love the contrast between the corrugated card/torn pages and the wonderful vivid images and embellishments. Red Pepper was the first alcohol ink (and Adirondack spray) I ever bought, along with Lettuce.

Kirsten said...

Stunning! The LP image looks amazing.

craftytrog said...

I can see how it would be hard to part with this Alison, it's stunning! Looking forward to seeing it in 'person' at Stamperama.
Alison xxx

experiments in paper said...

What a beautiful, complex piece!! Love how you've handled the layering, with the different shades - perfect backdrop for that beautiful detailed painting you achieved! I just got my new LP stamps, and can't wait to play with them. Thank you for another great inspiration! xx Lynn

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

STUNNING! Simply stunning!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a "rich" card Alison..stunning details..great in total.
Have a nice weekend, Alie :-)

Meggymay said...

A stunning piece, love the bright pops of colours and of course the main image.
Yvonne xx

Jackie PN said...

Beautiful coloring Alison! Your stained glass effect is amazing- you sure have displayed Lynn's stamps in a glorious light!!xoxo

Mrs.B said...

A wonderfrul piece Alison, love your stained glass effect. The pop of red on the painted embellishments is a fabulous touch.
Avril xx

Fliss said...

Absolutely stunning artwork Alison and your painting of the beautiful image is amazing. Love the grungy style background which looks so lovely with the image too.
Fliss xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Alison
An exquisite hanging with the most beautiful colours which truly represent stained glass.
Thank you for sharing all of the detail photographs.
Wishes
Lynne

cathylynn said...

Amazing Alison! You and your art! This is another eye candy creation! Great job!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Nan G said...

Wow! You really rocked this Alison!

Deb said...

Gorgeous Alison and what a great tip to emboss your stamped image before colouring. Beautiful images and your colour choices are perfect.

Cocofolies said...

A fabulous sample Alison, you have made an amazing use of the paints you chose, the colours are simply stunning!!! And the stamps... Wow! Hugs, Coco xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Really, really love this Alison! The touches of red pepper make such an impression! Now we are home for a while I'm going to be spending some time ordering craft goodies!! Hugs, Chrisx

Julie Lee said...

I was able to see this fabulous creation irl yesterday at Stevenage and I have to say that even photos as lovely as these don't do it justice! The translucence you have achieved is superb. Her skin tones were so lovely they left me in awe. It almost feels as if she is about to step from the image, living and breathing. I think this is possibly the loveliest thing I can recall seeing for some time. No wonder you were a little reluctant to part with her. She is doing brilliant work inspiring everyone who sees her, though! xxx

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow totally awesome creation, I so love the blues and browns with that pop of red on the embellishments and colouring, wow amazing. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

Kasia said...

Stunning creation! Love all those amazing details on it :)

Lisa Minckler said...

Holy smokes....this is STUNNING!!!

Unknown said...

Alison thank you for the sweet comment you left me. Life has been hectic but it's surely going to get better soon, I hope. :) I've missed my visits here and just had to tell you that you've filled me with such inspiration this morning. I love all of your creations and this one is exquisite. I really don't know how you parted with it. Hope life is treating you well! xx

Mary Elizabeth said...

Red? Do I see RED?!? After spending the day in lovely browns and greens and blues of butterfly-land, the red just jumps off the page. And you didn't just tip-toe around it. You jumped in with both feet. Red pepper ... blood orange ... claret ... London bus! Now you are playing in my ballpark :) Of course ... when I think of stained glass, I envision it with pops of red. So very stunning!! -- ME