I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 28 November 2014

The Birds, The Birds

Hello all, for the second time tonight!  Although I've already been here once this evening for PaperArtsy, now it's time for the new challenge over at A Vintage Journey, and I'm so happy that I'm finally able to jump back on board after having to take a break from vintage journeying for some actual journeying!



The very lovely Chris is our host this fortnight, and she's looking for Birds of a Feather...

Get out your avian stash and come fly with us for this leg of the Vintage Journey we're all on.

Remember to check out our Travelling Instructions to be sure you'll qualify for a shot at the prize voucher from our generous sponsor Country View Crafts.

There's lots of feathery inspiration for you over at A Vintage Journey, but before you migrate over there, here's what I came up with.

I seem to have missed the autumnal crafting boat - a pity, as I love those colours - and my mindset has moved firmly towards winter.









These two wintry tags were made separately, and seemed very different from one another at first, but I noticed they had a couple of things in common...

The birds, of course...












And the bare branches...















And they also share the same script stamp for texture - one in Coffee Archival...













... and the other stamped in DecoArt Chalk Paint.













So although one of them is full of strong colour (yup, my favourite browns and blues are definitely taking pride of place on my craft table at the moment), and has bold graphic detail from the stencilling...













... while the other is pale and snowily monochromatic, with just a touch of additional texture from some sponged Picket Fence Distress Stain...












... I decided to use matching embellishments to make them into a pair.  The Word Bands may just be my favourite Idea-ology pieces of all, I think...










And if words are your thing, you can't go wrong with a pen nib!

There are toppings of crinkled ribbon, dyed to suit, as usual, and both tied with black paper string just to pair them a little more strongly.






And that's pretty much that.  Sometimes these amazing Distress products and some atmospheric stamps are all you need, and that's what I was in the mood for this time around.

I hope you'll hop over to A Vintage Journey to see what my amazing team-mates have cooked up, and that you'll be inspired to join us for this leg of the journey with your Birds of a Feather.

Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.
Victor Hugo







While I'm here I'm also going to do a quick plug for my festive make over at PaperArtsy, seeing as it had only a bare few hours to make its presence felt before the birds swooped in (the birds, the birds).

If you're looking for a simple way to make your Christmas more crafty, do hop over and take look at my Perrella Presents!









And thanks to the fabulous Deborah from The Rusty Cage for the suggestion to play along at Tag Along with their Winter theme.  I'd like to enter the frosty blue branches there.  That's my first challenge entry in ages!!

56 comments:

Julie Lee said...

What beautiful tags, Alison. I love trees in all seasons, but there is something so starkly beautiful about bare branches against darkening skies! I love the blues and browns and how subtly they blend. Welcome back with two fabulous posts tonight! xxx

Chrissy said...

Two beautiful wintery tags Alison..I love the brown and the embossed background with the bird..that is gorgeous, and the blue...well! I love blue and the bare branches with the birds and the light coming through is beautiful.I love the nibs and word band too..superb.

luv CHRISSYxx

massofhair said...

It is soooooo good to have you back Alison, am so inspired by your colour combinations, marvellous and magical are my two chosen words to express this today.

Blues and browns are a favourite of mine but i really struggle to get the mix correct and mine end up looking rather sad. Must play more, practice makes perfect lol.

Two amazing creations, thank you for the inspiration as always :-) xxx

Julia Aston said...

I just LOVE your beautiful tags Alison - Simple but not - so lovely with the stampings and colors - each with such depth of field - beautifully done!

barbarayaya62 said...

this is your wonderful style! these tags are both incredible! I love them! AMAZING!barbarayaya

Helen said...

Welcome home indeed, Alison, we've all missed you! Both tags are gorgeous, but I love the paler, snowy one,what can be better on cold winter mornings that a beautiful tree in outline against the sky.

Astrid Maclean said...

Wonderful tags both of them, specially love the blue one!

chrissie said...

A beautiful pair of tags with wonderful colour choices.

Love the Hugo quote as well

Chrissie x

froebelsternchen said...

just amazing Alison.. adorable tags are these!
Happy weekend to you!
♥♥♥
SUsi

Brenda Brown said...

Love both of these beautiful card tags and your brilliantly worded post.
Have a great weekend.
hugs Brenda xxx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Both tags look great...they give a lovely nature feel Alison!
Greetings, Alie :-)

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Ooh more lushness on a tag Alison,such beautiful creations. Your work is always so yummy :)

Have a great weekend
Big hugs
Donna xxx

Jackie PN said...

These tags are fabulous Alison! sure did not take you long to get back in the saddle with the swing of things! Stunning!! xo

Nikki Acton said...

Stunning Alison. Your tags have a sense of serenity about them, elegant and beautiful. Just fab! Nikki xx

Nan G said...

Love the mood of the tags, Alison. They fit our current weather very well here in FL.

Marci said...

This is what I have missed! Wonderful!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful tags Alison! Love the inky backgrounds and beautiful birds! Thanks for the inspiration!

Dorthe said...

They are gorgeous, and the blue/brown even more than gorgeous, dear Alison.. I totally adore it, so wonderful in every way !!
Hugs,Dorthe

Jennie Atkinson said...

Beautiful tags Alison. I love, love the colour combinations (both of them!) and the delicate stamping. They are both so very magical and a great interpretation of our challenge. Jennie x

Unknown said...

So beautiful xx

Redanne said...

Your wintery tags really are beautiful, I do lean towards the blue one but they are both wonderful with their gorgeous inky backgrounds! Anne xx

Deborah said...

Love those beautiful wintery colours. Please feel free to link the blue one to Tag Along: Winter
http://tagalongchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/tag-67-winter.html
if you want to.

Amanda said...

Absolutely beautiful!!
Love
Amanda x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous tags! LOVE them both!

Evelyn Walter said...

beautiful couple of tags, Alison! I´ll go and grab these stamps and use them for the challenge too ;-)
Have a nice weekend!

Corrie Herriman said...

So beautiful ! Love your makes...
Corrie x

Meggymay said...

Awesome pair of tags, I do love your colour choices. especially the blue/brown.
Yvonne

Juliz Design Post said...

Stunning show stopping tags Alison, beautiful inky layers.
Julie x

House of Bears said...

Absolutely beautiful tags, as per your usual art. We have a pathological fear of real life birds, but are strangely drawn to using them in our art. Maybe one day we'll look at a real life flapping bird without cowering for cover.

Terry said...

Alison, both of the these backgrounds are wonderful. I love both tags and all the layers of ink and images. Wonderful tribute to the birds, the birds! Hugs!

Cestina said...

Huzza! Houby - at last!
xxx

Pam said...

Beautiful tags! I love the colors. These are just perfect.

vickienipp said...

love the tags so much but is there any way to get more instructions on how you made them???
vickienipp@yahoo.com

Kirsten said...

Beautiful tags & I've just seen your gorgeous wrapping paper on the PA blog.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Alison, hope you are well . Gorgeous tags, love the stencilling and colour choices. Beautiful. Tracy x

Linda Gibbons said...

These are really excellent!

Kay Wallace said...

Since I am such a bird fancier, I have to admit these are some of my favorites! Your bird presence is subtle, yet dynamic!

Sandy said...

Hey Sugar Bear! Birds of a feather do stick together - I know because I watch them all year long. And then there are the blogging friends. Some do this and some do that but we all are birds of a feather. We enjoy seeing the different styles as we shoot for the stars with our own. I love your birds of a feather Alison - although autumn colors are pretty, there is nothing more spectacular than feeding the birds in the winter!!!
Sandy xx

Cocofolies said...

I finally find enough time to read you quietly and admire these two wonderful tags!!... so sorry Alison to comment always at a late date, I hate the idea you could have that I don't appreciate much what you do, as it's really the opposite. But just life is overwhelming sometimes in my case... :(
What a delicate composition you have made on both these tags today, and indeed there are many interesting similarities between them! (even in not done together at first). I love both haha!!! (and I must remember that blue and brown are your favourite colours... :D)) Off to see your gilts at PA's blog now! Have a good Sunday, and thanks for your lovely comments and support for me always Alison! Hugs Coco xxx

cathylynn said...

Once again you have created some totally fabulous tags. Lovely colors with interesting details. All very yummy. Great creating!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Cinderella Moments said...

The tags are beautiful! The colors are perfect for this time of year. I love the embellishments!
hugs♥,
Caroline

Gio said...

Wow, these are simply beautiful, impossible to choose one, I love the stencil on the background, the branches, the different colours. These are so inspiring and so well crafted!

Pamellia said...

These are just amazing Alison! I have never seen such amazing layering and depth with stencils! Your birds are gorgeous and the colour palette is my fav too! Stunning! hugs :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE both of these tags, Alison!! I love the warm tones of the 'evidence' tag and the cool, blue tones of the 'expedition' tag. The text script you've used in the backgrounds is lovely--I love text in the background :)
Your blue tag looks like my view out my window--bare trees with little itty bitty birds amongst the branches :) So pretty!!
XOXO-Shari

Hettie said...

These are both beautiful Alison. I cannot chose a favourite as they are both very different and beautiful for different reasons!
Lovely snippet of your other tag. My favourite word is Believe!
Hugs
xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Glad I don't have to choose my favourite - these are both beautiful! Heading backwards on my catch up - glad I didn't miss these! Chrisx

Jools Robertson said...

Beautiful winter tags, adore them both
The one with the clock stencil is amazing just love the colour tones and depth and beautiful birdy

Jools x

S@ndy Diller said...

As always, your tags are simply lovely. The colors are soft and inviting. TFS.

Rosie said...

So lovely tags, Alison

Anonymous said...

Bare branches against a Winter sky always seem magical to me, day or night. These are both beautiful tags Alison! xxx

Neet said...

Both absolutely gorgeous and they make me realise how out of touch I have made myself. Love those Word Bands you have used - never even heard of them. I must get looking at what is going on around me.
Hugs, Neet xx

crafty creations said...

Stunning tags Alison

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tags Alison! I love all the layering with ink. Can't choose a favourite as they are both Amazing! Karen.x

Jenny Marples said...

You really are a master of getting incredible depth and dimension into a single layer as proved here with these two stupendous tags. Love the wintery feel and uncluttered embellishments. Jenny x

Paper Profusion said...

Oh my!!! I adore the frosty blue dawn one - it is Stunning indeed! The other is fabulous too - just love how ethereal the frosty one is. Nicola x

Kezzy said...

WOW WOW wow truly stunning tags, both are absolutely gorgeous. The winter one is so beautiful and soft and the other wow think it's definitely my favourite, the colours are really pop with the stencilling and the greens and browns blend beautifully. Kezzy :-) xxx