I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Everyone could see that there was chalk dust...

Hello all!  It's a very exciting day for Artistic Outpost fans... it's time for the latest stamp release, and they're fantastic if you're a word-fan like me!  Here's my offering for today, a tag trio combining the new stamps with some of my absolute favourites.


There are two fabulous new sets to admire: Chalk Wisdom and Chalk It Up.






Chalk Wisdom has delicious quotes and sayings, as well as some other chalky bits and pieces...











... while Chalk It Up has wonderful frames and curlicues with which to adorn them.  And, as always, they combine brilliantly with the other AO stamp sets.







Do hop round to see what my fabulous team-mates have been creating; here's the full line-up:

I was almost too late for this particular party.  Because I was working away from home last week, I missed the postman when he brought the precious package... and then the Bank Holiday meant I couldn't even go and pick the stamps up until first thing yesterday morning.




So, I'll admit I haven't got the full complement of projects yet, but I hope you like this first little play with the stamps.

And let me show you the rest of the results of my playing... you can see there'll be lots more to come in the next days and weeks!






I'd done some searching on chalkboard techniques so that I'd be ready to leap into action as soon as the stamps arrived.

In the end - I found myself combining various bits of information and advice from all over to fit with the ingredients I had to hand.

So, my pretty simple recipe was: some black card, Wow SuperFine Bright White embossing powder, Versamark ink, and an Ingvild Bolme chalk edger (seemed appropriate!).




Since I was on a really tight deadline, I grabbed some ready-inked tags from a previous play session.  They're mainly made using wrinkle-free distress technique with combinations of Distress Inks, Paints and Stains, though I'm not sure of chapter and verse on the particular colours any longer, I'm afraid.





And there are no prizes for guessing which stamp sets I reached for under pressure: Think and Wonder and Generation Redux never let me down - though there's a guest spot for one other too.


The wonderful brother and sister from Think and Wonder take centre stage on the pink/orange tag.  

(I think if I were allowed only one AO stamp set on my desert island, it would be this one.)










I used a white pencil to highlight their faces with a slightly chalky look.

I love the background lettering behind them... 












The two of them were the perfect complement to this particular sentiment from Chalk Wisdom. I like these corner flourishes, from the Chalk It Up plate, though it took me two goes to get them where I wanted them.  

I used the white pencil again just to add some chalky outlines round the lettering.











The pencils are the interlopers here, making a Guest Appearance from the Secretary Pool set!













I dyed some seam binding with Worn Lipstick, Spiced Marmalade and Picked Raspberry, and that seems to match the tag, so I'm guessing at least some of those were involved originally too.  

A bit of Idea-ology paper string finishes off the topping.











The Coffee Guys from Generation Redux are the next to put in an appearance...















Again, I've given them chalky faces, partly to dilute the vivid green which frankly made the man on the left look a little bit Wicked Witch of the West.











Love the powerful sentiment, and the flourishes top and bottom are part of one of the frames from the Chalk It Up set.  

I mounted all the chalkboards on padded tape to give a little pop of dimension to the new stamps we're here to admire!










The extra stamping at the foot of the tag is done with other Generation Redux stamps - the bubble wrap and those fabulous numbers.











And the topping here is seam binding dyed with Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean and Broken China, and tied with the same double bow of paper string.













Finally, the wonderful schoolmistress from Generation Redux was pressed into service.














I'm not sure why I think of her as a schoolmistress... the text behind her?  I don't know: is it just me?











I adore this sentiment - what a brilliant thought - and no extra framing on this one, just a good old edging with the Chalk Edger.














I'm also more than a little bit in love with the teeny tiny hedgerow grasses from the same set... they often put in an appearance.












And this seam binding has Stormy Sky, Weathered Wood and a touch of Faded Jeans about it. 

So three very speedy and pretty simple tags and, as I say, I'll have more projects to share with you over the next wee while.  









I hope you'll have time to hop around and leave my team-mates some love... should you get lost along the way, you'll find all the details here at Artistic Outpost.

For now, thank you so much for stopping by.  I'm off to Coventry on Thursday to play with Tim Holtz - wheeeee!! - as well as to meet some of you face to face, so I'm buzzing, as you might imagine, and I'll see you when I get back.

Chalk dust... everyone could see that there was chalk dust.
From the song Chalk Dust - The Umpire Strikes Back

Just a non-crafty side note on the post title... 
I'm afraid I gave in to an irresistible urge!  My immediate word association links are chalk > dust> John McEnroe... 

I'm going to date myself here - but I can remember so clearly the teenage McEnroe exploding into the world of tennis.  Sure, there were already some hot tempers around - Connors, Nastase - but, as a fan of the Iceman, Bjorn Borg (and later of the other cool-as-a-cucumber gods of the game, Sampras and Federer), I remember being shocked at the tantrums JM could throw on court.  

They were so notorious they spawned a (with hindsight pretty poor) McEnroe "rap", which is the source of my post title, as well as a still brilliant sketch on Not The Nine O'Clock News.  It won't make any sense if you only know JM as the suave commentator he now is, but if you remember the temper tantrums it's hilarious! 

65 comments:

maria's knutselplezier said...

wow, Alison, I really, really love these tags , they are stunning, and I love those stamps so much!! love the wisdom of the words!!!

Greetings
Maria

Inkypinkycraft said...

These tags are gorgeous and you inspired me to getvthe sets you have used and like you I love Generation Redux and think and wonder , such fab plates...love how you have included the chalk boards and wow ...fast work! Hugs Trace x Enjoy Tim tomorrow, take lots of pictures xx hugs x

Amanda said...

Fabulous tags can't pick a favourite they are all great. I need to get those sentiments, your chalkboard look words superbly.
Enjoy tomorrow
Love
Amanda x

Clare Lloyd said...

Your tags are brilliant. Love the colours and the chalk board effect sentiments.

Annie said...

Love them all Alison.....these stamps are on my wish list and I sure remember J Mac and his tantrums.

See you tomorrow x

Annie x

Francesca said...

What great tags, love the new sentiments. I remeber John McEnroe he was very intertaining. Please don't tire out Tim today, as I will see him tomorrow LOL. Francesca #55

Evil Edna said...

i remeber the "you can not be serious!" JM wobblers. love the tags.EE

Fliss said...

These are absolutely gorgeous Alison. Fabulous inky backgrounds for the images and the chalkboard text looks amazing.
Hugs, Fliss xx

Chris said...

Wonderful tags Alison and the new sentiments are great, I love the calk board look you've created for them! H JM, those were the days, it was Borg for me too though :-)! Chris x

chrissie said...

Wonderful ideas for he new stamps Alison

Love Chrissie xx

Rita said...

What Wonderful tags Alison. I could never pick a favourite. I love them all. Up and ready for our journey south. See you soon. Hugs Rita xxx

froebelsternchen said...

brilliant tags Alison! I really love how you have integrated the chalkboards on them! wonderful new images and the sentiments are great.. but just a few such talented stampers like you are able to bring such a life to this rubber!
xxx Susi

Deborah said...

Fab tags/chalkboards, Alison. It's lovely to see you work in colour.

Julie Lee said...

Truly stunning tags! I don't know anything about these chalkboard products but it all looks fabulous! What a wonderful world this is with so much to learn - and I haven't even had time to try the rusting yet!!! Julie Ann xxx

Dorthe said...

Your chalkboard tags are gorgeous, just looks like a recently whiped board Alison,- and the background tags, are wonderful, too, so amazing colour mixes, and stamps.
Love the pink/yellow one and the girls.
Hugs, Dorthe

Redanne said...

Your tags are stunning Alison, I love the think and wonder plate and it looks wonderful with the chalk board sentiment on it. Those new stamps are amazing. Thanks for sharing the JM video, I had forgotten just how entertaining it is! Have a great time with Tim. Hugs, Anne x

Cestina said...

Lovely to see the McEnroe stuff. I'll take a look at the rest soon ;-)

Enjoy tomorrow - and the weekend. A surfeit of delights!

Heather said...

Slow down Alison - I can't keep up with you!!!!
Your tags are sensational, the colours schemes are just perfect with each image, the usual brillint stamping and inking. I love your chalkboard sentiments!!

hugs
Heather xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Gorgeous text sheets Alison, and what a joy to work with. Your tags look fab, love the colours and the background stamps

Almo said...

Love the tags you have made with your new stamps Alison. I have not seen these Chalkboard stamps before but will would definitly like a couple of them. Thank you for sharing. Hugs Mo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous tags! Look like good sets to have - love the school mistress tag especially! See you soon!! Chrisx

Smile_Art said...

Beautiful tags! Lovely colours and sooooo amazing stamping! :)

Jennie Atkinson said...

Love them all! I love the different combinations of colours you have used - all just yummy and the chalkboard stamps and technique are fabulous. Just off to see the rest of the team's pieces! Jennie x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

I am so in love with the chalkboard look at the moment so your tags really caught my eye! They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing :-) xxx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow you did well to get these done in such a short amount of time Alison. Love the inky backgrounds and your wonderful use of colour. I too did a search on chalk techniques, I like to think great minds think alike lol lol. I love the images combined with your chalkboards and sentiments. Fabulous. Enjoy your time with Tim tomorrow. Tracy x x

Gio said...

These are gorgeous, Alison. Love all of of them, my fave the light one, in pale blue. Those stamps are terrific, especially the frames.

Speaking of JM, I just got his biography, I was so curious, can't wait to read it.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Love the way you really focused on the chalk board part of this release! Your samples are wonderful, especially the pile of the chalked up sentiments - love that collection all chalked up and ready to go! Lovely work, as always, especially when so pinched for time!

Hugs,
Linda

Lisa Somerville said...

So glad you were able to create with the plates arriving so late! Fabulous chalkboard ATCs to go with you lovely tags - wonderful use of background color!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful tags. Love that you did the chalkboard effect! My favorite is the soft blue tag with the flowers and images. Gorgeous!

Hettie said...

I have to say that I think these new stamps are right up your street Alison! They are wonderful and I now NEED them! They have to be the best sentiment stamps I have seen in ages!
Had to giggle at your Not the Nine Oclock News comments! Tee Hee!
Thanks also for the heads up on the embossing powder. I have tried several but no real joy!
Hugs
xx

Candy C said...

Alison...your tags are absolutely breathtaking. WOW! Do those new sentiments stamped in white on black POP or what?!? I love how you've created such lovely tags and then added those sentiments. I have got to have these two new sets! Gorgeous work, Alison...as always! <3 Candy

Unknown said...

Great Post Alison - Love that chalkboard look. Might bump in to you tomorrow - I am playing in the afternoon. I wonder if Tim realises what is heading his way!!!???

sam21ski said...

Wow Alison, they are all stunning

Sam xxx

Nan G said...

These are so lovely, butterfly! One would never know you were in a bit of a rush to do them. :) Yes, JM was quite the bad boy, off to check out the vid. I'm envious of y'all going to the TH workshop! Enjoy look forward to hearing about.

Paper Profusion said...

Spellbinding Alison! You have such a skill for making characters come alive. The chalky quotes all look wonderful (and are great quotes in their own right)! Hoping you get some chill time to yourself too. Nicola x

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous tags Alison, all three of them! Love the fact you picked up on the chalk board theme by stamping white on black, the sentiments/quotes are more than wonderful and I love how you have combined them with the other sets. The white pencil addition are delicious :o) too!!

I'm afraid you completely lost me on the John Mc Enroe bits, - I guess that probably shows up my age and complete lack of interest in any kind of sport....

I have to say you AO girls are wicked, I now absolutely need those sets!!!

Have loads of fun tomorrow, take care, take pictures and see you at the weekend!

Kate Yetter said...

A lovely trio of tags for such short notice. I am loving your chalkboard technique. Looks so authentique and agrees with those tags perfectly. Beautiful. Can't wait to see the results of your play time.
Kate

Kasia said...

Amazing tags Alison!

Terry said...

You really took "Chalkboard" to a whole new level! Alison, these are just perfect! I so love the chalkboard effect with the sentiments! Wonderful!

Dianne said...

You are magical, your work is magic, really, all three are stunning, fabulous showcase for those stamps and products, stunning background on all three so different and unique, I'm soooooo in love with the teeny tiny hedgerow my self, and she does look like a teacher, she reminds me of Miss Beadle on Little house on the prairie. Thanks so much for sharing and have some big fun with Tim and the others, I'd love to be there, do take pics to share with us Please..

Meggymay said...

Fabulous tags, the new stamp sets look awesome.
Been catching up on the posts I missed and the projects are all gorgeous.
Yvonne x

Lucy Edmondson said...

I love these, love the chalk board white on black look with the white embossing, and love the use of the white pencil. Love the new stamp sets and how they work together. Yes, I definitely remember the JM tantrums and I was a Not the Nine O'Clock News Fan - Do you Remember the Truckers with the Yorkie bars? Do I dare look at Terry's blog or will she be persuading me to buy these new stamps, you know what she's like?!!

Lucy x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The new plates are wonderful...love what they say! The black and white embossing makes the sayings pop against the brightly colored tags! Love that! The images are fantastic...gorgeous contrast for sure!

Anonymous said...

Those are such a treat Alison!
Oh the feel and smell of chalk dust, I am being all misty eyed and nostalgic here but I must claim that white boards do not nearly match blackboards (as they were called in my school years) chalkboards.
Wishes
Lynne

toni said...

Oooooo fabulous tags and love those new stamps. The generation redux stamps have proved to be so versatile in your hands! I loved John Mc enroe back in the day,he shook things up a bit. Alison have a wonderful day tomorrow I've just about come to terms with my disappointment at not getting a ticket! so be extra nice to him so that he has to return. I look forward to seeing all the projects and pics. I'm off to spend the day with one of my old friends in Wales so I'm sure I'll have a fun day too xxx toni

Sandy said...

I so envy you Alison - I guess you are doing a work shop with Tim Holtz. Can't wait to see what you make. I am so glad that you made the sentiments on you tags the star of the show. Letters are the paint brushes artists use to paint pictures in one's brain.
Sandy

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Wow, amazing tags, Love the all! So pretty. Jealous....you and Tim

barbarayaya62 said...

Hi Alison! I'm back from vacation, I have to recover all the posts I've missed! Not sure if I can comment on anything, but definitely these tags are all wonderful and new stamps are perfect! BArbarayaya

May said...

Stunning tags Alison, Love the new plates you have showcased them beautifully...Thank you for the fabulous inspiration.. I need to get these me thinks....Hugs May x x x

Sue said...

Love, love, love these Alison. Your chalkboard stamping is wonderful, as are these new stamps. I remember J Mac too (I was a Borg fan lol) Enjoy your day with Sir Tim xx

cathylynn said...

Three more beauties! Love all of the stamps. Once again you created some magic!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Mary Elizabeth said...

Wow! Great tags Alison. I really like the white on the faces (even Wicked Witch) that added the perfect tie in to the chalked sentiments (love ... those ... stamps!!). This was a wonderful tutorial on taking some of those extra backgrounds we all have and using them with newly acquired tools/scraps to make something wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration today my friend :) -- Mary Elizabeth

House of Bears said...

Wow, we love those stamps, and of course the projects that you made with them. The chalkboard effect is fab, we can't wait to see more projects.

craftytrog said...

Wonderful inky goodness Alison! I love & NEED those new stamps! xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Your tags are wonderful, great colors. Love the new images.

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous tags Alison, love the 'chalkboard'.
Thanks for the JM link, remember those days well!
Looking forward to hearing about your play day with Tim!
Avril xx

Carol Q said...

wonderful tags Alison. I Neeeed those words. do like the way you've stamped them in white on black.

Janny Jager said...

Beautiful and great tags Alison.
Fabulous details.
Greetings Janny

Unknown said...

What lovely tags, Alison! Love the images and really like how the sentiments from Chalk Wisdom match perfectly! And the frames...Oh, the possibilities! Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to seeing more! XOXO-S

Kelly said...

I am a big fan of the chalkboard look! These are great sets and look fabulous on your tags. I love the combination of your tags with these!
I need to go check the stamps out!
Hugs Kelly

Martina said...

Dear Alison, the tags are just so creative and wonderful. I truly enjoy seeing what you create, such a pleasure. Thank you for sharing, I love these !!!
Your imagination is endless .........

Sophie said...

Wow, Alison, deine Tags sind unglaublich.
Wunderschöne Arbeiten mit diesen herrlichen Stempeln.

Ich wünsche dir noch einen schönen Sonntag.
Sophie xx

mark gould said...

Stunning tags Alison, Like you I am loving the new releases.They will need to be bought at some point. hope all is well. xx

Unknown said...

So happy you joined the chalk craze because I needed help with what works best. :) These are fantastic, each one a work of art Alison. TFS!

Julie Lee said...

Gorgeous tags - the images work so well with the chalky sentiments. I have lots of catching up to do, as usual! xx