I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 14 March 2013

The Golden Hours of Time

Hello all, thanks so much for dropping in today.  I realised when I shared my Seed of Happiness hanging over the weekend that I haven't yet come good on my promise to show you more details of some of my samples for the new PaperArtsy releases.  The hanging used some of the fabulous Sara Naumann Eclectica range, and so I thought I'd follow that up with a different hanging I made for the showboards.  

Sara's stamps are fabulously word-oriented, perfect for adding to journalling pages, and as texture in backgrounds.  For this piece, though, they are right at the centre of the action - creating a vintage style postcard, message and all!


All the stamps used here came from one set, the poetically named ESN05 (that would be Eclectica Sara Naumann number 5).




I love epistolary memorabilia and ephemera (there's a phrase for you - in translation: stuff to do with letter-writing!), and this set offers up plenty to play with.

I started with the gorgeous Carte Postale stamp.











Then I ruled a line down the centre, and added the "letter" to the left of it, and some postmarks, and then started playing around with the other stamps.












It wasn't long before they revealed a message to me - for which I just had to fill in a few gaps with handwritten additions.  

Everything is stamped in Archival ink - Coffee and Black blended onto the stamps, giving nice fluctuating tones.









I then gave the whole thing a good old distressing with Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain and Gathered Twigs.  The paper distresser played a part, as did lots of rolling, ripping, creasing and inking.













The background is my much-loved, much-employed favourite, corrugated cardboard (recycled packaging), inked and embossed with some Vintage Photo Distress embossing powder.











I layered in some old lace doilies, and added some of the paper flowers from The Range.












These also got some distressing with the brown DIs (as did the little mulberry paper roses), as well as a coating of Rock Candy dry glitter for some subtle vintage bling.











I added eyelets at the top, and dribbled some alcohol ink onto them to knock back their somewhat brash golden appearance, and then simply threaded some ribbon through to hang the whole thing up by.







It was such fun to create, and was entirely inspired by the stamps - making my life really very easy!


You must have been warned against letting the golden hours slip by; but some of them are golden only because we let them slip by.
J.M.Barrie


More than kisses, letters mingle souls.
John Donne


What a lot we lost when we stopped writing letters.  You can't reread a phone call.
Liz Carpenter



I'd like to enter this into the following:
Simon Says Stamp and Show where the theme this week is Chic to be Shabby


38 comments:

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Alison! As always I love how you write, and I love that JM Barrie quote (must tell my Mum). I have a naughty theory though - you have too much corrugated cardboard because you are always receiving deliveries of crafty goodies in the post!!

Lucy x

(don't forget to give me your address for the embossed pieces)

Brenda Brown said...

Beautifully shabby and chic Alison, love how you've arranged the words and joined them into a saying. The lace adds that feminine touch and the flowers are from the Range? Gorgeous.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Helen said...

What a gorgeous hanging piece you've created! The flowers are fabulous. I love Sara's new range for Paperartsy, and can't wait to play properly with them!

Chris said...

It's very beautiful Alison and so perfectly shabby chic. Love the new word stamp ranges and how perfectly you've showcased them. Chris x

brenda said...

Gorgeous Alison, I love the use of corrugated I always think it lends itself so well to this style of artwork. The frosted roses are lovely as well.

B x

chrissie said...

Wonderful hanging Alison. The stamps you have chosen to use are terrific.

Love Chrissie xx

Amanda said...

Alison another beauty! Love the vintageness of the whole piece. I have been looking at theses stamps, I feel a pay day purchase coming on at the end of the month, lol
Love
Amanda x

May said...

Gorgeous hanging Alison, Love the vintage feel.. those stamps are Fabulous..I adore your frosted roses.. Hugs May x x x

Claudia N. said...

Oh, this is wonderful, Alison. I really love it! The roses are definitely stunning!

Hugs,

Claudia xx

Anonymous said...

Wonderful project Alison. You have been busy. Off for a catch up to see what else you have been making.
Hugs, Florence x

Bettina Breiding Hansen said...

This is so gorgeous, Alison - I just love all of it!! - hugs Bettina (Denmark)

Bonnie Irvine said...

Beautiful hanging, Alison. I love the combination of the corrugated cardboard with the delicate lace. The distressing you have done as well as those lovely flowers make the piece look so vintage. Great use of these stamps, especially with your connecting words. As always, you tell a compelling story both with your words and your art.

Kate Yetter said...

Lovely, Alison. This is so vintage and full of nostalgia!

froebelsternchen said...

this is a wonderful vintagy piece...so soft and lovely done!

Sarah said...

I think part of the fun is the rolling, ripping, creasing and inking and your results are always amazing.

Keren Tamir said...

oh wow Alison this is gorgeous!! love all the distressing and stamping on this project!! fantastic!!

Hettie said...

Wow! How exquisite and enchanting is this? Love it
xx

Candy C said...

Alison...this is such a lovely piece and so in line for our Shabby Chic theme this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show. I love the corrugated background. Love how you've distressed it in darker tones so that the light paper, laces and flowers pop even that much more. That stamp set is lovely. I love how you have utilized so many stamps from one set to create such a lovely little wall hanging. The bits of vintage lace look fabulous on either side of the stamped paper. And, of course, your lovely roses add that feminine and shabby touch! Thanks so much for sharing your always beautiful art with us! <3 Candy

Redanne said...

A wonderful shabby chic make Alison, love the corrugated card in the background and the gorgeous lace and flowers - beautiful! Hugs, Anne x

Jenny Marples said...

Love how you've combined these stamps to create this project. This is one of my favourite sets from the new releases and you have seriously done it justice. Hugs, Jenny x

Krisha said...

Hi Alison,
What a wonderful piece to share today. I just love how you used your sentiments and added your own writing. Just a lovely piece of vintage art.

maj. said...

Such beautiful work in vintage style!!!

Sandy said...

You know - letter writing is a lost art. I miss the feel of pen to paper. The only time I feel that is when I am writing a check - oh woe is me! How is your journey going - I hope all is well. Hold on to your hat Alison - you don't know what golden means until 70 is knocking at your door and he will not take no for an answer. You used something not long ago with time in it. Time must be on your mind. Your hanging is delightful - would make a great Mother's day present or a neat daughter's birthday gift. I really like it and I am going to go see about these stamps!
Sandy

Bärbel said...

Der Hänger ist so schön geworden, Alison, ich liebe die Gestaltung mit den Spitzen und den schönen Blüten, das ist großartig!
Liebe Grüße, Bärbel

Sue said...

I love your shabby chic piece Alison, especially how you have added your own to the printed words. Thanks for the tip about dribbling AI's to shiny eyelets xx

Mrs.B said...

Just had a wonderful catch up!
This is another beautiful project.
Hope everything is going well.
Avril xx

craftytrog said...

A beautiful piece Alison, such wonderful attention to detail! xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

An absolutely fabulous piece Alison - you really have made the most amazing use of the stamps. They will all be on our wish list now!!!!

Thank you too for the lovely comments you left on my blog earlier.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love the corrugated paper, and vintage feel! This paper with all the images is fun and unique! Gorgeous shabby roses...really dresses it up! Thanks for playing in our shabby chic challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

Anonymous said...

Oh this is divine, a beautiful old world romance feel to it but also, how beautiful this would be to give to someone special, someone whose company is appreciated whether that be a Mother or a friend.
Wishes
Lynne

Dianne said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Alison love all the stamps with the writing and loven the background, thanks for sharing your lovely creation and have a great day...

Nan G said...

A beautiful hanging! It just glows!

Dorthe said...

A beautiful hanging dear Alison,
I love all the text and that you added to it yourself,- it made it a special piece ,both to see, and to read!
Hugs,Dorthe

Terry said...

Beautiful shabby chic hanging! Love how you use that corrugated cardboard! The touches of flowers and lace add such a romantic feel! Hugs!

Astrid Maclean said...

Hmm, somehow I manage to miss this... love its glorious shabbyness!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful soft and shabby chic postcard. Love the layering of the text and those beautiful soft touches around the edges. Glad you joined us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful project Alison and I love those stamps. The flowers with the rock candy are real pretty. Thank you for sharing another gorgeous creation with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

pearshapedcrafting said...

THE most beautiful hanging - more spending for me I fear as I keep looking at those stamps and just can't decide which I like best!! This may just steer me in a certain direction!! Seriously Alison, this is simply breathtaking - you have made the perfect frame!! Chrisx