I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 31 August 2021

Mica Moth

Hello all!  I know I haven't been around here much lately, but the Glimmer and Sparkle theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge was the perfect fit for my Mica Moth.  I succumbed to the new Mica Stains released by Ranger for Tim Holtz, and this was my first spritzing play with them, over a die-cut of the magnificent Perspective Moth... so it's definitely a Mica Moth.


I'm still not sure whether they work best with the moth complete or with the wings separated.

And I'm also undecided about whether they're entirely finished, but I do love them just as they are, so they'll be staying that way unless creative lightning strikes.


I had smooshed a couple of tags in some leftover Salvaged Patina ink and oxide on the craft mat, and the pair of them were sitting there when the Mica Stains arrived.  You can see the underlying turquoise tones of the Salvaged Patina best on the moth's body.


My original thought was to create a shimmering Moth die-cut, but I didn't want to waste the ink I was spritzing, so I laid the die-cut over the two tags to do my spraying.  And then it turned out I liked the background better than the moth itself!  I love that there are places where the moth's wings are really clear, and others where it's much more ghostly.

The Mica Stains in use are Hocus Pocus (the purple one), Bubbling Cauldron (the green one) and Empty Tomb (the dark greyish one), and I also spritzed some Stormy Sky Oxide into the mix.  (There may have been something else, but I don't know what... I was just having fun.)

Both text stamps are from Tim's Dapper stamp set.  The large Merchant Tailor advert is done in Archival Night Sky - lovely colour.


And the smaller text is stamped in Old Paper Oxide and then embossed with Speckled Egg Embossing Glaze.  Oh, and there are some torn scraps of script washi tape in the layers too.


I expect they'll get some twine through the top, and maybe a Quote Chip across the lower halves some day, but for now I'm really happy with my Mica Moth as he is...

... if I could only decide which way round to place the pair!

I hope you like them as much as I do.  The shimmer of the Mica Stains really can't be shared in still photographs so I'm hoping this ten second video will work to show you the fabulous glimmer and sparkle they give you.


You can see why they were perfect for the Glimmer and Sparkle theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

I hope you're all doing okay, and maybe enjoying some late summer sunshine (we can live in hope, right?).  Stay safe and I'll see you again soon.  There's lots of stuff to share here - I just have to find time to sit down and write some blogposts!  Happy crafting all.

Between our birth and death we may touch understanding, As a moth brushes a window with its wing.
Christopher Fry

... he was trying to create the spell that is ethereal and delicate as the dust on a moth's wing ...
from Jacob's Ladder by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'd like to share these at the the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge for the Glimmer and Sparkle theme


15 comments:

Cath Wilson said...

Ooh, this is one of those ethereal results you'll never again be able to achieve - almost, but not quite. It's stunning because of the colour scheme and the text, but also the scraps of washi add so much. I bet it's absolutely gorgeous in real life. I love the text stamping. I imagine it's a bit frosty looking IRL. I absolutely love it, Alison. I'll try to watch the video later, so that I can see the sparkle.
Cath x

Marci said...

I like them separate, instead of one whole moth. More interesting, I think. They are beautiful and I did watch the video to see the sparkle. Lovely.

Nan G said...

Love the sparkle. I’ve seen another video and it’s amazing. I like them together yet separated it’s more mysterious. ;) Hugs

Helen said...

I've not seen these products, and now of course I want "need" them... beautiful tags, together, separate, any which way!! Take care.

Christine Alexander said...

I wasn't going to buy the mica stains but now I think I'll have to. I loved seeing the two tags together showing the shape of the moth. Absolutely ♥ stunning

My name is Erika. said...

I also succumbed. I like these sprays. And I like that stencil you made from the perspective moth. Very nice results Alison. Hugs-Erika

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The camera just never picks up the sheen the way you want it, but I KNOW that the mica stains ghosted this perfectly and gorgeously. LOVE your earthly blue style as always. Great pair of tags.

Craftyfield said...

I don't think they need anymore either! Both are beautiful apart or together Alison. x

Sue said...

Oooh these are wonderful, perfect just the way they are! Take care and have a very happy month Sue xx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

So pretty! I missed the animation on your Instagram stories, so I'm glad I caught it here - it sure does shimmer! xx

Mac Mable said...

You sure looked like you had fun and what amazing, creative and unique tags. The colours, the mica and the moth all add up to these stunners x.

Neet said...

What an ethereal look you have got with that spray.
I've not heard of the Mica stains, I am so behind these days, so am not sure what part of the tags is down to them alone. What I am sure of is that I like them.
That is a gorgeous moth image and I cannot say whether `I like the view of the two side by side to make a whole or as original in your blogpost best of all.
So nice to see you back posting, hope all is well with you.
Hugs, Neet xx

Anna-Karin said...

These tags are gorgeous Alison! I love how you let the beautiful moth design go across both tags, while they also work so well on their own. The added text elements are perfect too. I hope you are well!

Matilde said...

They're both amazing!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These are both simply jaw dropping gorgeous, Alison. LOVE them both! Hard to decide which way they should be shown.