I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 4 December 2020

A Festive Farewell

Hello all - it's a bitter-sweet day... we've a lovely new challenge theme for you at A Vintage Journey, but sadly it's the very final challenge.   Reluctantly, we've all agreed that it's time to bring the journey to an end.  The wonderful Brenda, who was the originator of A Vintage Journey, has written about all the reasons why in a lovely post over at the challenge blog, so I won't repeat it all here.  But we're going out in style, with a double helping of tiny delights.  

Each of the Creative Guides has created a pair of ATCs for the Merry Little Christmas theme, and also a Farewell ATC.  You can create ATCs of your own following either prompt - festive or farewell - and we'd love it if you would join us on this final leg of the journey to celebrate the years of inspiration and creativity we've all shared together, both the team and all the participants.

I'll start with my festive pair, and a rare sighting of the colour red here at Words and Pictures.  I was lucky enough to win a wonderful prize package from Tim Holtz recently, and it included the lovely Sketch Greenery stamp set in action in the background here as well as the ephemera collaged over the top.

The smooshing in the background is a combination of Distress Inks and Oxides in the new Rustic Wilderness colour and some Speckled Egg too.


The fir branches are stamped in Rustic Wilderness Ink and clear-embossed to sparkle in the light.

I adore this deer - a lovely element in the ephemera pack... and you can still see plenty of the background between his legs!


I needed another delicate image to balance him, and this wreath worked perfectly - again, you can see the background through the middle.


And for once in a while I can even deal with having that little festive touch of red involved.  It's a rare occurrence round here!

The words are also from the Sketch Greenery stamp set.  They're stamped in Walnut Stain on some card smooshed in a few droplets of Pumice Stone Distress Ink to soften its whiteness.


A touch of inking around the edges and a little bit of snow splatter and we're all done...

So now it's time to say goodbye (well, not quite - we'll be back for one final post at the end of this month to announce the Pinworthies) so here's my farewell ATC.  


I'm so grateful for the friendships forged ever more deeply within the Vintage Journey team - it's been a delight and an honour to have served right from the very beginning.  But rather than look back, my ATC is looking forward.


I'm celebrating the joy of the journey with my favourite colours - blue and brown (specifically mainly Stormy Sky and Walnut Stain)...


... some lovely white embossing and a touch of metal and, of course, a butterfly...

... some background text stamping... 


... so many of my favourite things to commemorate one of my favourite ever teams to work with.

And the words (Idea-ology stickers) are looking ahead to whatever comes next with a grateful heart and positive outlook.

I hope you'll hop over to A Vintage Journey to hear from Brenda about our decision and to see the glorious inspiration from my fellow Creative Guides, and I very much hope that you'll find time to join us somewhere down the road this month for one final time to celebrate a Merry Little Christmas and/or a very fond farewell.  It would be lovely to go out with a bang.

Stay safe, stay well all, and I'll see you again soon.

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
Winnie the Pooh

26 comments:

experiments in paper said...

Such bittersweet news, indeed.... but I agree that the world of sharing information these days is very different now, as is so much else. I love your little ATCs, all three of them. Very impressed with your use of ephemera - particularly given your boxed die-cutting supplies at the moment! Very festive and seasonal - that Rustic Green is perfect with your red! And your signature blue and brown is delightful - really love the white embossing. Will pop over and see the rest of the crew's makes. Hope the unpacking is proceeding smoothly! xxx Lynn

Helen said...

Beautiful pieces to finish off with, festive gorgeousness indeed. Not sure of what stage of relocation/unpacking you are at but hope it is going well!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your ATCs are simply stunning! So lovely to have received those crafting goodies, many congratulations and the ATCs you made with them are full of Christmas cheer - perfect 😁. Loved seeing the unusual occurrence of red and that little deer is adorable! Your farewell ATC is beautiful too, so meaningful with the colours, butterfly and words. I am so grateful for your friendship and have had such a wonderful experience as a participant and Creative Guide over at A Vintage Journey! I really appreciate all your support and guidance and always love visiting you to see your wonderful creations and read your amazing crafted words, you are such an inspiration - thank you for being part of my creative journey! Love and hugs, Jo x

craftytrog said...

Beautiful ATCs Alison! xx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Really sad to see the challenge come to an end Alison. Have not really joined in but have always looked at the fabulous projects displayed. Love your ATCs .. absolutely stunning works. Love the traditional Christmas colours and the composition, as always, is perfection. Of course, your farewell ATC is stunning. Love the colour combo and, again, your layering and composition are perfect. Hope all went well with the move. hugs xx

Marci said...

The farewell ATC is lovely and looks like you. I thought I was at the wrong blog when I saw the red at first. Not really, they are very pretty. I hope your unpacking is going well.

Julia Aston said...

Well Alison - I am going to MISS you so much and I hope you continue to share on your blog so I can still be inspired - I was in shock when I saw your beautiful Christmas ATC's in red and green - so pretty! but not a shred of your usual blue or brown on them (!) but was comforted when I scrolled past to your Farewell ATC and there they are - I actually have a list of the different combinations of colors you use so I can make things 'just like Alison!" (well I can always hope!) your snowy splatter is so pretty on all 3 as well as the combinations of ephemera you have used. I have enjoyed being on this team with you and look forward to continue being inspired! Julia xx

Betty4 said...

I absolutely love your blog. Your creations so inspire me. I love the rubber stamps you create and order them as soon as your new releases appear. I wish we were neighbors : )

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, what a heartwarming comment, thank you Betty. I’m so happy you love the stamps. We’re all virtual neighbours these days in lots of ways... once my new craft space is up and running, I’m hoping to do some more frequent filming and maybe FB Lives or interactive Zooms, so keep your eyes peeled.
Alison x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'd never heard of A Vintage Journey until I started visiting your blog. Ironic, because I know Jo is one of the designers, but for some reason, I didn't connect it. Now that I know about the blog it is shutting down. That's really sad, because I am ONLY a blogger and not on any other social media site. You have gone all out on your final two tags and your incredible incredible ATC with the rust and adorable butterfly. I'm sorry this blog is shutting down, because it appears all the design team was incredibly talented.

Annie said...

Hi Alison x Your ATC's are fabulous with amazing backgrounds and use of the stamps/ephemera. It is certainly very bittersweet that AVJ is ending and I have loved being on the team with you and it was so nice to meet you in person at Tim's workshop,Coventry.

Thankfully I will be able to view your art on Instagram and enjoy the new journey you are on in CR.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas & Best Wishes in 2021

Annie xx

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous vintage pieces Alison. I especially like the colors of the first one with the deer. What would we do without TH vintage bits? They add nice details, don't they? Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Amanda said...

Fantastic festive ATC’s a beautiful swan song make for such a sad closing of the challenge blog, sadly a sign of the ‘social media times’. Your crafty online plans sound like fun I’ll keep my eyes peeled for more info
Love
Amanda x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

These are great...especially for the farewell one. Sad this has come to an end, but I get it.

Mac Mable said...

Sorry to hear about The Vintage Journey but wanted to say how hugely inspired I was with all you talented and amazing guides....Fabulous ATC's and well done you on winning a surprise package recently x.

Anna-Karin said...

I am so sorry to hear about A Vintage Journey, but just remember how much inspiration that has been spread around the world with the challenge. These projects are wonderful Alison!

Astrid Maclean said...

Alison, let me start by saying that your ATCs are fabulous, specially love the Christmas ones! They look wonderful and the little touch of red and white just really make them pop.
Well, what else can I say, it feels like the end of an era, - we have been on so many teams together, and this is now the last one come to an end, and for me at least it will be the last DT altogether, as my own journey has taken me to different places now. But luckily I know we will stay in touch, on Instagram and possibly elsewhere. I am still determent to come and visit you in beautiful South Bohemia one day, hopefully in the not to far distant future....
Meanwhile have a wonderful Christmas, I am sure it will be special!
veselé Vánoce xxx

Craftyfield said...

Dismayed but not surprised at the AVJ news, the GAFA juggernaut squashes everything in its path and looks unstoppable. It won't stop us being creative and crafty though!
Your ATC's Alison, are fabulous and to your usual high standard albeit with unusual colours for you! x

Cocofolies said...

OOh... that's really sad news, about the challenge.
Although I didn't play with Brenda and you all very often, it was a wonderful challenge blog, with many generous step-by-steps from uber-talented ladies I know. I had just not enough time to be present on it, sadly too... And now I regret! :(
Your 3 ATCs are absolutely wonderful. I love especially the one with the little deer (an adorable image I agree!), and your last one for saying Good bye, but carrying hope. It is absolutely amazing Alison. I LOVE it!!
Hugs and happy December, it's so strange this year to know that we are soon at Christmas...
Coco xxx

Anke said...

Oh Alison I live Tour ATCs, fantastic art.

Hugs
Anke

Neet said...

I trust you will still keep your friendships going even though A Vintage Journey is no longer and you are not in the same country. To that end I hope we see some more sessions of the three of you have virtual days working together.
Your atc's are beautiful and the deer is absolutely beautiful himself. Also I share your thoughts on your favourite one with the butterfly on it.
Hugs, Neet xx

Sue said...

These are beautiful Alison, you've used the new Rustic Wilderness perfectly here, it is such a festive colour, and look at you with the pop of red lol. As you say, look forward to whatever is coming next. Take care and have a very happy weekend, Sue xx

Mrs.B said...

Just on a very belated catch up and such sad news AVJ has always been a good source of inspiration.
Love the festive ATCs with their greenery and touches of red and the farewell ATC with those words is very apt for a crafting journey that changes but never ends.
Avril xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Alison, that was unexpected but understanding. Hope you will still be around as I love to see your gorgeous art work. Take care and hugs, Angela xXx

Nikki Acton said...

Just yummy! Love how you embellished the smooshed inky backgrounds for your Xmas ATCS. Your farewell version is a delight. The combination of the metal, embossing and tones and depth of the background is amazing.
Its been a fabulous journey but one we will continue on a different track, somehow, sometime! It's been an absolute pleasure 'working' with you and don't worry, you cant get rid of me!!
Nikki xxxx

sarascloset said...

Your work is just lovely! It's so surprising, yet a perfect pairing with the green, to see red on your festive ATC's. It looks like you are getting lots of good use out of your winnings from Tim. (congratulations!) I love your Stormy Sky/Walnut stain combination, so perfectly balanced on your farewell version (my favorite of the three). Love the positive quote on this one, especially! Well done, as always! Congrats on getting all settled in at your new home; sounds like you've got some good plans ahead! May your New Year be bright! Big hugs!