I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 14 August 2020

And finally... Leafy Watercolours Part IV

Hello all... at last I have the rest of my watercolour leaf studies here to show you.  "And finally", says the post title, because it's the final collection, but also "and finally" because it's a week late.  I wasn't late finishing the paintings themselves... just with getting around to writing the blogpost!


I finished these on the 31st July (with one extra to make the nice round number of 32), but haven't had a chance to get around to blogging them.






And once I was a week late, I thought I might as well wait until the next Paint Party Friday to publish the post.  That way I can join in there and enjoy what everyone else has been painting this week too.













I shan't keep you long with this... there's been a mammoth post this week already with my trio of corrugated panels, as well as an Encore to enjoy.














Even though I'm late sharing them, I'm feeling pretty good about completing the whole daily challenge of World Watercolour Month.















Okay, I didn't use the official prompts, but I did watercolour every day in July, and learned so much as I went.











I can show you a quick look at the penultimate pairing, where I did some background painting to create the setting before adding the final stems. 

So these got a very rough first draft - just some grassy energy and shaping.













Then I filled in with some of the more distant stems and grasses.















And finally in go the main studies.














Oh, and a quick palette update.  You saw it in week 1 (where you can also find a complete list of the colours), and here's what it looks like now.  Still plenty of paint to play with for another batch... but I have ideas about what other colours I might want to add in.






In any case, without more ado, here are the final batch in their pairs.  (I worked out I shouldn't cut them up even now.  Should I want to sell prints, it would work out more cheaply to have them printed as A4 pairs and then cut them than as A5 individual paintings!)

Days 25 and 26...


Days 27 and 28...


Days 29 and 30...


Days 31 and 32... finishing up with a pair which are definitely amongst my favourites, and ironically the most similar to numbers 1 and 2... go figure!


I hope you've enjoyed this month's worth of leafy watercolours.  I've had a lovely time exploring, remembering, playing and discovering.  It's made me determined not to leave so long between watercolouring sessions ever again!

Thanks so much for joining me for this stage of my watercolour journey.  I'll be back with some more regular Distress Ink playtime some time this weekend.  Hope to catch you soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.  Stay safe, stay well everyone.

The key to life is accepting challenges. Once someone stops doing this, he's dead.
Bette Davis

I'd like to join in with Paint Party Friday - belatedly, but happily!  They are now on Week 24 of Year 10

39 comments:

sirkkis said...

Gorgeous, beautiful paintings.
Happy PPF xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Alison, your watercolours are beautiful, and I love the cool colours. You are doing the leaves really well, delicate and almost ethereal. Thanks for your good wishes on my blog, I can move a bit better today, so hope with conitnued rest over the weekend that it will get better. Have agreat weekend, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

I adore the watercolours; they feel cool (which is amazing after all the heat we've had) and I hope we see more of your watercolour art soon.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

What fabulous beautiful drawings, each one is an adorable work of art! You have a talent *wow* for painting something like that, you are there with heart and soul.
Have a happy Weekend, hugs Elke

craftytrog said...

I’ve loved your watercolours Alison, they’ve been so beautiful and inspiring.
Happy PPF!
Alison xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I've loved seeing your leafy watercolours Alison and sitting here on the computer with a gentle breeze coming in by the open door is almost as good as a walk n a wood! Hugs, Chrisx

Barbara said...

Your watercolors continue to astound me! They are delicate and beautiful!

Christine said...

These are so soothing and relaxing, beautiful work!

Sandy said...

Oh my word Alison - your watercolors are lovely - beautiful!! Would love to see you doing watercolor cards. I wonder if you realize just how pretty your paintings are!!!!
Sandy xx

Fonda said...

I've been loving your leaf studies!

Mrs.B said...

Gorgeous watercolours, so delicate and such beautiful shades.
Avril xx

DVArtist said...

Ohhh Alison these are simply stunning. You have achieved muted colors with a softness. These are so elegant.

Marci said...

Lovely!

Kokopelli said...

Oh, they are all fantastic! Love to see your leaf studies. Happy PPF!

Lagene said...

Beautiful leafy creations!

Annie said...

Beautiful detals in your watercolour paintings Alison x Loe the backgrounds and stunning leaves.
Have a great weekend
Annie xx

Linda Kunsman said...

I really love your watercolors Alison! Delicate, whispy and soft- just beautiful. Happy PPF!

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful leafy watercolours. Happy PPF
Much👩‍🎨love

Clare Lloyd said...

Beautiful

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

They are lovely.

Neet said...

Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on following and finishing the water colour challenge and with such beautiful studies.
I love the gentleness of your paintings you have a definite skill with this medium.
Beautiful work.
Hugs, Neet xx

Chrissy said...

Oh wow, these are beautiful..I love leaves and foliage and your colouring is amazing with the blue hues in there and hint of lavender, gosh, I wish I could water paint..I love those tiny splatters too..beautiful Alison..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Christine Alexander said...

wow Alison, it's such a delight to see your water coloured leaves. on my bucket list (water colour course) for retirement next year:)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I find these watercolours very appealing. They are delicate, sensitively rendered and capture the soothing quality of the leaves. Well done!

Ira said...

soft and beautiful...

Craftyfield said...

Phew you've made it to the end of the month! Despite Covid, despite the weather... kudos, Alison! Of course you need to keep it up albeit not everyday! Have a great weekend! x

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous leafy watercolors Alison. I think these might be the best ones yet. And your palette is cool by itself. Love how the colors blended. Course they are my favorite. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

carol l mckenna said...

Oh Wow! Divine watercolors ~ so elegant and beautiful ^_^ Bravo!


Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,

aka (A Creative Harbor)

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your watercolour paintings are stunning! I love the delicate foliage and they way it looks like the light is shining through highlighting them - gorgeous 😁. I hope you've had a lovely week and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Rain said...

Hi Alison :)) You are SO talented...I paint with watercolours, but never achieve such beautiful results, thanks for showing your progress! The leaf study is so beautiful, great post! :)

NatureFootstep said...

they are all so beautiful and make me envious.
And I liked to see your palette, what a great idea to spread out the colors at the side to make it easy to blend as you wish.

I think I have to sit down some day when this hot days are over with and play around with what colors I have.

Thanks for sharing.

Christine Alexander said...

Hi Alison, thanks for the name of the You Tube course on water colouring (the mind of water colours). Can't wait to grab a coffee and sit down and watch :)

Sue said...

These are absolutely gorgeous Alison, so delicate and I love the early morning misty feel to them. Take care and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Redanne said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed your month of watercolours, numbers 29 and 30 are my new favourites, I love them! Stay safe and well. Anne xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Beautiful watercoloring!

Mac Mable said...

Glorious finally to your amazing water colour journey Alison and absolutely beautiful x.

Paper Profusion said...

All are gorgeous Alison, you are so so talented. Beautifully light and delicate with gentle energy. Nicola x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh so good, and boy are you busy.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

They look amazing altogether Alison, watercolour is such a beautiful art a technique I love but find little time to myself to sit and concentrate. Love how you have put your own mark on them, you can tell they are by the same artist, I could never be so precise. Beautiful work.
Thank you for sharing in blogland Hugs Tracey x