I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Deeper Shades of Night




Hello all!  

Things are just about returning to normal here... thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and well-wishing recently.

It's time for the new challenge at Fun With ATCs, and the theme this fortnight is Night

If you hop over, you'll find lots of inspiration from my fabulous team-mates, and here's my starter for ten.

It's related to my Black, White and Red Lonely Leaf ATC from a couple of months ago - I think this could be the start of a series!

And it's a complete contrast to the multiple images of my Around the World in 80 Stamps ATC... this one is very simple.




I used one of my very few wood-mounted stamps - the gorgeous Tim Holtz bare branches - and stamped it in Jet Black Archival onto a Specialty Stamping paper ATC.

I hand cut a little disc of paper to use as the mask for my moon, and then inked Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink onto the ATC.








I worked more layers of inking towards the top of the ATC to get that sense of the gathering night overhead.














And then the little Hero Arts alphabet set provided the single word 'night' - an echo of the single word 'alone' on the Lonely Leaf - this is shaping up to be quite a dark set of ATCs!









And there you have it.   Do hop over to see what the rest of the team have come up with, and then we'd love to see your take, so come and share your 2.5 by 3.5 inch ATCs on the theme of Night with us at Fun With ATCs.  See you there!

The sky grew darker, painted blue on blue, one stroke at a time, into deeper and deeper shades of night.
From Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami






Oops, I forgot - there's also another (C*******s) card over at Artistic Outpost today...  Better late than never, eh?!


41 comments:

barbarayaya62 said...

Alison as always a great work! Simple but wonderful!!!! Barbarayaya

Helen said...

I love it!

Brenda Brown said...

A beautiful representation of the theme.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Annie said...

Fabulous Alison. I love the sky at night and more so when I can view the moon through the trees. You have captured the feel of this so well.

Hope you are managing to rest

Hugs Annie x

Amanda said...

How moody is this? Great ATC
Love
Amanda x

Claudia N. said...

Terrific ATC, Alison!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Redanne said...

Wow Alison, you have certainly created a wonderful atmospheric ATC, love that sky and the tree is fabulous. Hugs, Anne x

Gráinne said...

Absolutely love this, Alison; great atmosphere ... magnificent. Suzanne x

Chrissy said...

Fantastic Alison...a beautiful night sky with the moon and tree...gorgeous.

luv CHRISSYxx

chrissie said...

You have created something special in this small space Alison. A full moon is always mysterious and especially when viewed through a leafless tree.

Love Chrissie xx

Deborah said...

Wonderfully atmospheric, Alison. And especially suitable with Halloween almost upon us.

Anonymous said...

Simply gorgeous! Great masking! xx

Sande said...

Simple, elegant and captures the theme perfectly.

Francesca said...

Hi Alison, fab ATC you really get the feel the moon is shining down on you. xxxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Great calm feel to this - so beautiful!
Your last post made me smile remembering our move! Well done for getting sorted so quickly! Wishing you lots of happy creative moments in that lovely room! Chrisx

Marci said...

I really like this series so far. The tree with the single red leaf was stunning and so is this one. The blue is just perfect.

Hettie said...

Gorgeous as usual Alison. Must dig my Speciality stamping paper out - being very tight with it!
Haa Haa!
Hugs
xx

Sandy said...

Ahhhh - my favorite time of the day.
Sandy

Meggymay said...

Wonderful ATC's so atmospheric.
Yvonne

Astrid Maclean said...

Welcome back to normality Alison! Great ATC, those branches look sublime against that moon, very atmospheric!!

maj. said...

Great atc, Alison!!!!

Claudia N. said...

Love the fact that even if we took the same approach to the theme, the ATCs are sooo different, Alison!

Your white moon disc looks awesome with the branches in front.

Hugs,
Claudia x

Dorthe said...

Alison, good to read you are living a normal life again, dear-
The beautiful simple card is with so much athmothphere , and those branches in the moonlight looks gorgeous against the evening blue sky!
Your christmas card is the most cozy winter card, and a restful feeling falls apon me watching it.
Thank you for your sweet comment,on my blog - and for telling me to make some buttons - I will try sometime :-)
Hugs from Dorthe

cathylynn said...

Love this! What a fantastic job you have done creating this beauty!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Anonymous said...

A wonderful sense of drama to your ATC and I like that branch stamp very much.
Glad to read that life is settling down somewhat for you Alison and have to say Thank You for catching-up with my Blog, especially at such a hectic time in your life.
Wishes
Lynne
P.S. Off to visit your Christmas card.

Jools Robertson said...

Really beautiful very elegant, love the colour too

Hugs

Jools x

Cocofolies said...

Quite simple maybe, but beautiful representations of both Halloween and Christmas themes, as all you do ! I love especially the card, so sweet with its snow...!! And of course, I'm very jealous of your wonderful wooden stamp branch of TH as you know Rofl ! :)) Hugs, Coco xx

Terry said...

You have me howling at the moon! Alison, I love the full moon scene you have created. Gorgeous!

Anke said...

Wonderful ATC, I love your moon scene, Alison.

Hugs
Anke

Gio said...

Simple and quite magical. That moon pops up from the tree!

Claire said...

A beautiful ATC - simple and very elegant! Claire x

May said...

Gorgeous ATC Alison... glad you are getting settled...Hugs May x x x

Anonymous said...

Wonderful ATC, the moon looks great.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Simply gorgeous.

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wwo such a gorgeous ATC, I love the simplicity of it!!!

Greetings
Maria

Kezzy said...

Wow wow absolutely gorgeous, I love doing night time scenes with a moon and yours is amazing, I have started playing again with ATCS so I might have a go. Hugs :-) Kezzy xxx

Dianne said...

WOW, I looooove that stamp, and the scene you created, FABULOUS, it looks so real, all in that tiny space, excellent ATC, ooww I can't wait to see the more, thanks for sharing and happy things are getting back to normal and you have that awesome studio to work in and create you magic....

Kasia said...

Wow, what a beautiful night! Gorgeous ATC! Love it for its simplicity :)

Nan G said...

Love this ATC! That branch stamp is cool!

Evil Edna said...

beautifully simple. EE

Mary Elizabeth said...

Ok ... I must say that even though I was "absent" from crafty blogland over the last few weeks, I really wasn't truly absent. I would sneak a peek at project now and again. And the "night" ATC was one that grabbed and held my attention during this time. So much impact in a little space. Love the darkening sky and I'm amazed how white the moon remained. I would have smudged something on it before the end of the project. Sigh! Love those bare limbs. Almost reminds me of a December or January night. Soooooo love this ATC Alison!! One of my favorite pieces. -- Mary Elizabeth