I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 30 July 2017

Neutral Blues III







Today's blue and brown tag is a slight hop out of kin as far as this series of Neutral Blues goes, but I think it's definitely still part of the group.

There's no paper doll involved but we are continuing to play with the Oxides, as well as also using my PaperArtsy quote stamps again.

The nature collector of Neutral Blues I and the many pairings of Neutral Blues II were gently Oxided.  This tag is full on Oxide!

The background was part of some playtime right at the start of my time in New York, and then it sat like that for the whole three months before travelling home again with me.
















I started out just playing with combinations of Distress Oxides and Distress Inks again, layering up a wrinkle-free distress background.
















There's endless delight in the variations you can get from dripping and spritzing and dabbing the inks and water.















I also did some stamping in Walnut Stain DOX - love how the pigment component means it will layer over the top so beautifully.














And then that was that for three months...

It wasn't until I was back at my craft table that I worked out what to do with it next.

The inspiration really came from this Walt Whitman quote from EAB02 Darkness and Light.












There's already lots of light and dark to be found in the inky splotches and splashes, but I thought I could go a step further by adding a more substantial reference to light.
















It took some heavy duty gel medium to get the lightbulbs to stay in place, but I'm very happy now they're there.














As well as artificial light, we have some starlight too... (another connection to the previous pair of tags, with their tiny metal star accents).













And the clock picks up the thought about the hours of light and dark.














I mounted it on some bits of cardboard to give it a bit more dimension and presence.  And it was originally one of the pewter coloured clocks, but I used Mushroom Alcohol Ink to help it tone in with the rest of the tag.












I glued a piece of white-washed vintage book page across the tag (covering up a previous quote-stamping which I decided I didn't really like!), and the quote itself is simply stamped in Potting Soil Archival.













Some rusty mesh (from the new supplies - yay!) sits behind the quote, adding a bit more interest and detail.  I do love my rusty mesh.














And a bit of rusty wire at the top (the rusty wire which was wound round the new rusty mesh as packaging - waste not, want not) finishes the whole thing off.











So that's today's blue and brown tag - I hope it pleases you as much as it pleases me.  Sometimes it's the simple things which make me happy!

Thanks so much for dropping in today.  There's one more tag in this Neutral Blues series (back to the Paper Dolls with the next one) before I offer you something completely different (and I do mean completely!).  Hope you're all enjoying a lovely weekend, and I'll see you again soon.

The dance between darkness and light will always remain— the stars and the moon will always need the darkness to be seen, the darkness will just not be worth having without the moon and the stars.
C. Joybell C.




Since we're still on my much-loved blue and brown combination, I'm going to share this with Tag Tuesday again, where the lovely Chrissie has chosen My Favourite Colour Combination as the theme.
At Mixed Media Monthly they would like to see Altered Embellishments this month.  My bulbs and the clock have all been altered with alcohol ink to get the colours to tone in.
And at Try It On Tuesday they would like us to Let It Shine - lightbulbs and starlight and the magic of light and dark should do the trick, I hope.

37 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous tag, and thanks so much for joining us again at TT. The distress oxides do offer a lot of play possibilities, that's true. Have a nice Sunday, hugs, Valerie

Dortesjs said...

Cool art tag, your very creative.

chrissie said...

Terrific tag with a definite Alison colour combination background and added wonders

Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday and for supporting my theme at Tag Tuesday

Love Chrissie xx

Helen said...

wow, as always, you have rocked your blue/brown neutrals. Love this tag.

hazel said...

A gorgeous tag, I love the colours.
xxx Hazel.

craftytrog said...

Oh my goodness, that background is amazing Alison! Great tag! xx

Rosie said...

OMG, I love your tag so much. It's gorgeous, Alison

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY.

Happy Sunday

Nikki Acton said...

I am running out of superlatives for your oxide work... so I am now creating my own - oxiditastic and oxidigious xx

Redanne said...

A perfect combination - light and dark oxides, the wonderful lightbulbs, time and your wonderful quote! Anne xx

froebelsternchen said...

This is incredible beautiful dear Alison! UNIQUE!!!
Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY.
Happy start of the new week ahead!
oxo Susi

Dorthe said...

Light and dark, -day and night, so beautifully illustrated Alison , with the wonderful Distress Oxides, and your fantastic artistic way of creating, and putting the quote in perspective with the help of lovely details.
Hugs, Dorthe

Corrie Herriman said...

So fabulous !
Corrie x

Hazel Agnew said...

It please sort and thrills me too Alison. That touch of script in the background is wonderful. Another triumph! Xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Fantastic tag! I love the background. The use of the lightbulbs is aweseome!

Chrissy said...

What a stunning background Alison..I love the blues and browns and all the added details to your tag..this is gorgeous.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Love! Love! Love! Lx

Astrid Maclean said...

Another wonderful tag, really love the background splodges on this one and great embellishments to go with the quote! Thanks for adding it to our challenge at MMM too!

Joan said...

Beautiful work with the oxide inks!! Love the quote and the embellishments you used!

My name is Erika. said...

Great tag. I love the blues you've been using lately.

Kate Yetter said...

I am loving your backgrounds with these oxide inks. So amazing and eye catching. It definitely makes me want to get some to play around.
Kate

Brenda Brown said...

Pure magic my friend xxx

Cocofolies said...

This one is a stunner!!!
Glorious tag dear Alison xx

Meggymay said...

Another stunning tag Alison. You have made this colour combination your own, with all the beautiful pieces you make.
Thank you for joining us over at TioT's .
Yvonne xx

Julie Lee said...

I am playing catch up with these gorgeous tags! I love how you use the Oxides. They might have been made with your style in mind! Glorious work, Alison!

Sue said...

A gorgeous tag as always Alison, you are doing amazing things with your oxides xx

Mrs.B said...

Another fabulous tag Alison, you really do this colour combinations so well. Another wonderful quote.
Thanks for sharing at TioT
Avril x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

A real beauty of a tag Alison, those Oxides are terribly addictive aren't they!!
Hugs
Donna xx

SewPaperPaint said...

I love how you described making backgrounds as "endless delight." LOL! So so true!!! This may just be my fav yet. I really love the stamping on the bg and the way you highlighted the sentiment, so so beautiful! Super happy to have you back at your desk and seeing the result! Hugs, Autumn

pearshapedcrafting said...

You are clearly loving the Oxides and really making them work their magic! The real magic though is how you illustrated this quote! Your tag really is absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

Rika said...

gorgeous tag, greatbackground!

Annie said...

Your tag is beautiful Alison and depicts the sentiment so well.....fabulous layering of the DIO's too

Sending my best wishes to you

Huge hugs
Annie xx

Jackie PN said...

Your Oxide makes are always just perfect!! This tag rocks Alison!! xo

rachel said...

oooo this one is really lovely - it reminds me so much of starry skies - beautiful...I really love this series of tags Alison! Very inspirational! Hugs rachel x

A Pink said...

Fabulous! Love the WF oxide background and all the well considered references to light and dark give much greater meaning to your finished tag.
Love your 'word' stamps - consider them bought x

sarascloset said...

I'm VERY pleased! And I love your rusty mesh, too! Where does one find that? You have mastered those Oxides and this background is one of my favorites I've seen--very distinct layering of color and perfect little droplets (squeals with delight!). Oh, how I could be a butterfly on your craft room wall! Love this to bits! Hugs!

Etsuko said...

Amazing the tag Alison, it looks like a beautiful universe. xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I love that you added lightbulbs to this. It really adds something to your tag and brings your quote more in focus, along with the clock, the passing of each hour. Whenever I see your splattery and splotchy backgrounds I think if I could make backgrounds like these I would make them. But really it doesn't suite my style. I shall be content to admire yours.