I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Windswept Grasses





Hello all!  I'm here with another grassy creation, this time playing with mostly PaperArtsy goodies - some of Lin Brown's gorgeous stamps, Fresco paints, and one of Seth Apter's Wood Chip shapes.

It was a pleasure to bump in to Seth himself at the PaperArtsy stand - lucky timing as I was heading off for the day and only stopped in a second time for a quick goodbye.

He wasn't demo-ing at that point but we did have a lovely chat (mainly about New York), and I was extremely happy to head home clutching a set of his Wood Chips to play with.

(There's another project coming up using some of the rest, but it's for a specific DT commitment, so I can't share it for a little while yet.)

We're photo-heavy today, so pull up a chair...











This is created on one of That's Crafty's MDF tags - a regular size #8, so it's 6.5 x 3.25 inches, or 16 x 8cm if you prefer. 













Having the hard surface means you can layer on paint and mediums to your heart's content, which is just as well, as this went through several mutations before I was happy!











There were a couple of layers of Fresco paint just to start with - French Roast underneath and then mostly using Green Patina, Midnight and Key Lime from Seth's paint sets (thought I should, since I had the wood chip to play with!).

Then I thought I'd use some PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze, so that was another couple of layers.










And then it was all a bit too bright so I softened it with some Snowflake and Buff washed on quite lightly.

In the end, I'm absolutely thrilled with the soft weathered crackle look, especially with the sanding around the edges to reveal some of the previous layers.











I've been aching to play with Lin Brown's fabulous grassy stems.  I've stamped this one in Olive Green Archival.

And I've combined it with some of Sara Naumann's detail images. 














I love the numerals stamped in Snowflake.













The Postcard lettering is done in Broken China, I think (I went through several stampings).















In the end, it has softened away into the background, but there's an echo remaining.







The chipboard grass stem - so delicate, and a lovely 3D echo of Lin's beautiful stamp - is by Polish company Scrapiniec.


They have many gorgeous designs, so be warned - temptation abounds if you visit.  (Many designs are also available at Noor Design and from the Mixed Media Place if you don't fancy tackling the Polish site.)









I've left it basically unaltered, though I did make sure it caught a touch of white spatter right at the end.
















So, to Seth's wood chip circle frame... This also went through a number of layers but being wood, obviously, it can take it!












It had the Green Patina and the Midnight Frescos in the mix somewhere early on...












.... though I finally ended up with Snowflake and Buff with some DecoArt Crackle Glaze over the top...















... and then a touch of Antiquing Cream in Patina Green added, dried and wiped away to define the cracks even further.














You'll see that my favourite dried stems are providing a third version of meadow grasses to the piece.















I'm finding them hard to resist at the moment.  (They were clambering all over my Tiny Greenhouses too.)













Some fine twine echoes the circular frame in a loose, rustic way.














And some delicate buttons (also, I think, by Scrapiniec)...















... do the same in miniature.  The recurring circles create a pleasing harmony for the eye amidst all the windswept grasses.
















The same fine twine adorns the top of the tag.










I did have an Idea-ology Word Band in place originally, but happily my lucky prize package from Simon Says Stamp arrived just in time for this Quote Chip to take its place... much more satisfactory for the lighter than air look of this windswept tag.










I hope you like it.  I certainly had a lovely time creating it, and working with MDF and wood gives the whole thing a lovely sense of permanence despite its ethereal appearance.

I did have real trouble trying to work out which photos to share though... I love it in the bright sunshine as you get lots of life and depth from the shadows.  But it's difficult for the eye to see what's going on if you're meeting it for the first time.










In the softer light, you get to see far more of the crackle detail on the hoop and in the background, as well as seeing each of the grasses more clearly.  I couldn't decide, so you're getting it both ways to finish off the post!!

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope your week is going well, whatever you're up to.  I'll be back soon with something completely different!

When they would return to one another from their solitariness, they returned gently as dew comes to the morning grass.
From The Address of Happiness by David Paul Kirkpatrick





I'd like to play along at Frilly and Funkie where the aim is to "Welcome, Spring!"
At the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge they'd like us to Make Your Own Background
At Mixed Media World this month Anything Mixed Media Goes, so I'd like to share this there too

37 comments:

chrissie said...

I had to look at this a few times as Inread through the post. Lots going on and they look so good together. Must say I really like the of the string that seems to tie everything together.

Love Chrissie xx

rachel said...

this is so wonderfully beautiful. I adore what you have done alison. Those grass stamps have gone on my must have list!!! Your colours are so soothing - beautiful x

Helen said...

it's always a pleasure to see a post from you in my reader list! this is no exception, what a beauty.

Meggymay said...

Well I read this twice looking at all the photos you shared and I think I will be back again. Its a stunningly gorgeous tag. The details and the added embellishments all look fantastic.
Yvonne xx

Dortesjs said...

WHOOo OOOO lovely, love the numerals stamps to..fine tutorial you always make love to read and follow your awsome deligthful gorgeous work. thank you for showing ;O)))

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is so beautiful! A perfect combination! Hugs, Chrisx

Astrid Maclean said...

This has a real early spring time feel to it, wonderful work with those grasses! How lucky to bump into Seth!

Seth said...

This is stunning. Such a soft and organic feel. And all the layered elements work so well together! So glad we bumped :-)

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful layers of paints and mediums for the background and then the stamping and elements bring it all to life. The chippy and natural foliage are great to layer on the top. This has a wonderful wintry feel to me xxx

Amanda said...

What a fabulous build up a layers, beautiful result
Love
Amanda x

Redanne said...

Gorgeous layers, beautiful soft tones, lovely crackle and those grasses - stunning! Anne xx

craftytrog said...

So beautiful and Spring like, I love the layers on your tag Alison!

Nan G said...

You have a magical way with grasses! Love this one to pieces. Hugs

Monika Gulyas said...

Wonderful creation, Alison! The background layering and the stamping and the soft colours, all fantastic! xx

Marci said...

Very soft and pretty. I like the circle against the grass, and of course I like that Lin Brown stamp the way you have used it here.

Dorthe said...

So wonderful, love how you echoed Seth`s circle with the twine, and how you crackled it - the dried grass ,I`m falling in love with again, ,and so lovely in the very soft tones, dear Alison !! xoxo

SewPaperPaint said...

So lovely Alison, like the spring breeze on a bright day. Love it! Hugs, Autumn

Julia said...

I love this. The Lin Brown grass stem is one of my favourite stamps and I also have a set of Seth's wood bits just waiting for a moment of inspiration. I'm lost for words to say about this tag, it is beyond beautiful. x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Oh my word, everything you create has such a beauty and eretheral quality to it Alison,love this one
Hugs
Donna xx

A Pink said...

Stunning! Love the organic feel and your fabulous use of texture dimension and soft delicate tones.
So so beautiful x

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely stunning Alison!
You have added just the right amount of color to this tag
hugs,Jackie xx

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow.. this is such a stunning tag, Alison. Love the beautiful embellishments and the fabulous background you created. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful tag, love all the layers and texture. Love the stamped grass echoing the little chipboard piece.
Avril xx

Kirsten said...

That is such a beautiful tag.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This is a wooden tag then? What a great idea to start a tag because as you said, wood can handle it. I love the light airy-ness of your finished product and the different kinds of greenery... stamped, wooden, and that delicate life baby's breath.

maj. said...

An amazing tag, love the beautiful details !!!

Unknown said...

It's a wonderful tag! All your work is!!
I appreciate you stopping by my blog. I miss blogging and having a good browse around my friends' blogs. My busy schedule simply prevents me from doing so nowadays. Many people visit and comment only when they themselves receive comments and I totally get it. You are always one who will stop by and comment no matter what and that absolutely warms my heart. You've always been wonderful, Alison, and I just want you to know that not only you are a very talented artist, but a wonderful person too! I'm so pleased to have met you. All the best xx

Chrissy said...

As always Alison..fantastic..love the textures and soft colours..gorgeous.

luv CHRISSYxx

Candy C said...

Beautiful, Alison!

Inkypinkycraft said...

a stunning make , such gorgeous softness here x

sarascloset said...

Alison, what a lovely piece! I love the delicate grasses against the crackled wood and the repetition of the circles! Indeed the quote on white is a much lighter and pleasing embellishment for this--lucky you to have them arrive in time. Hugs!

Unknown said...

What a delicate and exquisite tag... Fabulous little piece of art once again!!! Hugs, Coco xx

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful textures and layers - love the white washed look! Julia xx

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Such a pretty tag Allison! Love your layered design and soft colours! :)

Nancy Dynes said...

I LOVE everything about your tag, Allison! It transports me to a spring meadow. Thank you so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!!
Hugs,
Nancy

Jenny Marples said...

More beautiful Spring feeling and delicate touches/highlights in this altered tag Alison. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

Anna-Karin said...

This tag is so pretty and delicate! I love the layered grasses on top of that circle shape. Gorgeous colours and textures, as always.