I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 1 July 2016

Monochromatic Observations





Thank you all so much for your lovely comments on all my projects for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge in June.

It was a real honour, one I probably shouldn't have said yes to, given my time constraints, but I ended up enjoying every single theme and making some projects I really love.  (If you missed any of them you can find them all via the links at the top of the side bar.)

I also want to do a quick plug for my blogaversary candy... Yes, Words and Pictures is four years old, so do come and celebrate with me.

But right now it's time for a new challenge at A Vintage Journey.  The brilliant Tracy is our host this month and she would like to see your Monochromatic projects please.  So here's what I came up with...
















... a handmade nature journal in shades of brown, simple and natural.  I love working monochromatically, especially in neutral tones and - given my limited time at the craft table this year - I decided just to enjoy myself!






Every now and then I manage to keep things simple on a project, and when I do the results are always pleasing to me.  (If you check out my Beautiful Things Pinterest board, you'll see that actually my tastes are pretty minimal.)


The how-to is pretty simple for this one too.  It's just some sheets of watercolour paper torn in half and distressed a little around the edges.


They're then spritzed with Distress Sprays and allowed to dry.  (Do click the photos for a larger view if you'd like to.)


On each page I've added one of the gorgeous Tim Holtz Wildflowers stamps, stamped in Coffee, if I remember rightly...


... and clear-embossed to make them stand out a little more from the inky splatter behind.








That, of course, means they catch the light too - always a favourite effect of mine.
















The spritzing was completely random, as you can probably see.










Some pages are very inky - and it takes slightly differently on the textured side compared to the smooth side (it's pretty cheap paper).


But I just let what happened happen... and I really didn't concentrate on matching up inkiness when I was binding the pages.  So it's all just happy accidents when it works out!








The cover is made with one of Tim Holtz's beautiful Book Cover stamps - the large one, 6x4 inches, so that's the size of the book too. You may remember my Year in Poetry which this is based on - but this is a simpler version, with more space to add "observations".













It's stamped onto heavy kraft card for sturdiness, and I adorned it quite simply with one of my much-loved WordBands, coloured with alcohol inks to fit the monochromatic tones of the rest.












On the inside front cover where the brads came through I added another kraft panel which you can write the owner's name on - but really it's covering the brad ends!














The binding couldn't be simpler - some rustic twine threaded through the hole-punched holes and tied in a knot behind.












So I hope you like my minimal, monochromatic journal.

You'll find plenty more Monochromatic inspiration over at A Vintage Journey - my fabulous team-mates have excelled themselves yet again.

I hope you'll hop over and take a look, and that you'll be inspired to come and play along this month.

Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I'll hope to be a better blog visitor in the coming weeks.

If you make listening and observation your occupation you will gain much more than you can by talk.
Robert Baden-Powell

Accuracy of observation is the equivalent of accuracy of thinking.
Wallace Stevens






It's not exactly frenzied, but there are plenty of florals, so I'd like to add this to the Floral Frenzy challenge at Stamps and Stencils

53 comments:

SewPaperPaint said...

Really, really cool vintage book! Great look!

Helen said...

what a fabulous book - love the monochrome effect, and your choice of colour for it is glorious.

Astrid Maclean said...

Well, as you know I love little books and this is a real beauty in its simplicity. Have fun filling it with your observations!

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow what an amazing book did you create , great beautiful pages all of them!!! I hope you explore new exiting thing with your observation techniques!!!

Have fun!!
Maria

Jane said...

It's a beautiful book Alison and just perfect for poetry...lovely inky spray patterns and the perfect flower stamp x

rachel said...

Absolutely beautiful alison. A really lovely and natural puece of work. Yummy xx

Anneke said...

BEAUTIFUL! It looks real old. The torn pages looks great.
ITS so pretty, I can imagine how it looks on a smal table, real antique.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Another triumph! So simple and so effective. The embossing really brings the flowers forward and I love the raggedy edges. Lx

Vintagehandmade said...

Absolutely stunning monochromatic book, Alison! I adore every single detail here! Your torn pages are amazing! So simple and so beautiful! Big hugs! Branka xx

chrissie said...

Amazing Alison and the pages are so thick with wonderful texture.

Love Chrissie xx

hazel said...

A wonderful book Alison.
xxx Hazel.

Redanne said...

An absolutely stunning piece of art Alison. You and monochrome are a match made in heaven! This journal is so beautiful.... xx

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful! What a lovely book for a nature walk and to capture and press wildflowers. Love how you aged the pages and added the beautiful silhouettes.

Nikki Acton said...

It might be simple but it is certainly beautiful xx

Marci said...

I absolutely love the cover! It looks like old leather.

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous hand made book Alison, wonderful antique colours.
Yvonne xx

Julia Aston said...

What a beautiful book/journal you created Allison - what a wonderful bookplate stampe on the cover! love the neutral earth tones and simply done pages - with lots of space to write down 'observations'!! Julia xx

Dorthe said...

It is a wonderful journal, looking as if it was in a place for years getting stained from a damp basement ,and with imprint of pressed flowers, long ago withered away.
I love it and the simple binding dear Alison !!
Hug from me.

Karen Dunbrook said...

I agree...amazing!

craftytrog said...

I love this Alison!!! xxx

Craftyfield said...

I think your book would be perfect to hold Vintage photos...
Love the simplicity too, almost CAS (not clean but simple)!
I haven't seen your series of SSS makes although I did notice you were guesting. I must remedy and have a nosey... Oh and congrats, this is an awesome honour (well deserved)

froebelsternchen said...

♥♥♥
just BEAUTIFUL
something went wrong with my first comment?
I don't know-

again:
a beautiful book - every single page !
Don't mind commenting - it is summer and we don't have so much indoor pc time and that is good!

oxo Susi

Hazel Agnew said...

This is so complex in its simplicity Alison! While I read through your post, I was imagining what I would use this for....garden notes are the obvious choice, maybe a collection of inspirational quotes. I was pleased that you mentioned the size of this as, often, it is impossible to get the scale. I adore this and need to add this wonderful creation to my "butterfly" notes....there's another idea for the book! Xx

Cocofolies said...

Simple but so effective and beautiful dear Alison.... Love love your nature book (as well as the previous one in 2012, so lovely!!!). You show me the way, I need to revisit my stamps and techniques, to create more beautiful things just focusing on the beauty of some stamps (or inks) we love for example, like you did perfectly here.
Thank you (and like you, really struggling to find the time to visit the blogs I love... I have many deadlines and projects to finish before a little break and breath...:)
I wish you a lovely week-end, Hugs xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Alison, I love the rustic charm of your monochromatic piece. The front cover is warm and rich and I love the coordinated inside pages . Beautiful. Hope,you are well. Tracy x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This is simple for you but one can still tell that you are the mastermind behind it! I love it with all its monochromatic goodness. The simple binding really makes me happy. Hope for us easy-does-folks!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that paper, and the images on them are gorgeous! This is so you...so gorgeous...and just a wonderful make!

Deb said...

Exquisite Alison, elegant and beautiful,form perfectly suited to it's function. Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

A Pink said...

What a beautiful nature journal! Alison . Love your perfect choice of colour tones for the nature theme of the journal and the real organic feel it has . Wonderful post to read too. I need o do some catch up on your blog posts of late so I'll be back later and enjoy some time indulging myslef in your creativity . Sorry for being so far behind .
hugs x

Paper Profusion said...

Absolutely beautiful Alison! Vintage always looks wonderful in your hands. Happy Weekend! Nicola x

Pamellia said...

Wow Alison. I don't know how you possibly find the time to do so many full on huge time projects. I can barely manage a couple of cards a week. Well it sure is worth, this is truly stunning! happy weekend :)

Lys said...

Fabulous! A cover which looks like leather or thick damask... And I agree about the importance of observation!

sarascloset said...

This is a lovely vintage nature journal and I hope you find time to make some observations to record in here! Just last week I saw a gecko molting in my garden. Not pretty, but a first time observation. Later that day found a snake molt! Wow; I guess it's molting season! You have made beautiful pages on which to record your own sightings, and the cover is just gorgeous, too! Hugs!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving your little book Alison it's beautifully made. Happy crafting, Angela x

sally said...

Sometimes simplicity is best! Beautiful book Alison- thanks for sharing.


Sally xx

Annie said...

A great monochrome piece Alison and the stamps look perfect on the pages.........I can see you making some additional adjustments as you fill in with your thoughts and travels

Sending my best wishes and I hope you have some lovely relaxing days with your mum xx
Hugs Annie xx

Ruth said...

Oh...how simply delightful is this, a handmade book just wins me over anyway but this is so wonderfully executed...sublime colours, images...LOVE. Thanks so much for joining us at Stamps and Stencils Alison. hugs Ruth x

Corrie Herriman said...

This is very beautiful, Alison !
Corrie x

Margik said...

What a beautiful book, Alison! The cover is amazing. An elegant monochrome design!
Hugs, Mar

Juliz Design Post said...

Fabulous project and super inkiness.
Julie x

Gio said...

A goergeous , hand-made book, Alison! So elegant and at the same time so grungy. Love it!

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful little journal Alison and I'm sure you will enjoy using this.
Avril xx

SueC said...

Fabulous journal Alison, love the simplicity and the delicate touches with the flowers. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW was für ein zauberhaftes Werk, unglaublich schön.

Herzliche Grüße
von Anke

Sarah B said...

a beautiful example of how less is more can be so true xx

Etsuko said...

Oh! this mini book is awasome, just I have a go!! very inspired. xx

Karen Petitt said...

This is so beautiful! I have been struggling with ideas for a monochromatic entry to the challenge but you've just inspired me, thank you Karen x

Mary Elizabeth said...

I am putting Tim's Book Cover stamp at the top of my "gotta have" list. Wow! This is such a great make for Tracy's monochromatic challenge. I so want to play now! One of my friends, the wife of my friend at Duke University Hospital, wants a journal to record all the frustrations, observations she's made about patient care, prayers answered, prayers she is begging God to answer, etc. ... A journal just like the one I see here. Maybe I'll give a = try making my own before I head out to Duke tomorrow. This is such a great inspiration piece. I love the beauty in restraint. I tend to overdo projects. I get a muddy mess more often than not :). Beautiful piece Alison. ME

Sandy said...

When ever I need inspiration - I need to go no further than your blog. You have such grace and style Alison. I think a monochromatic challenge is right up your alley. Especially if it is done in neutral shades. I love little books especially hen they have a vintage feel. Big sigh Alison!
Sandy xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh! Who knew that shades of brown could be so beautiful! I love this little book Alison! Hugs, Chrisx

TangledBlueRose said...

Amazing and makes me smile for sure! I love your book, vintage wonderfulness all the way!
hugs
~kim

Jenny Marples said...

Such a beautiful rustic book Alison xx

Jackie PN said...

Simple and organic yes, and stunningly beautiful! xo