I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Krafty Butterflies




Hello all!  It's time for a new theme at Country View Challenges, and this month the lovely Sue would like us all to Use Kraft Card.

Regulars will notice I've been playing with variations on a theme of springtime butterflies with my tags lately, and this is definitely part of the pattern.  (You can see all three tags together later in the post.)

But, in fact, this was the one that kicked it off (unless you count my Destination Inspiration tag over at A Vintage Journey which was really the first one in the series, only that one featured Umbrella Man rather than a butterfly)... it's just it had to wait for the first of the month to be revealed.

So I knew I wanted to use the Mixed Media thinlits to cut the kraft card.  And I love how that looks over the Distress Inked background.





It's not just Distress Inked, of course.  As you can see from this photo, there are also stamping and stencilling layers.

My favourite Lattice stencil is there, as well as the Splatters stencil.

The meadow grasses are from the Tim Holtz Spring Sprung set, layered in Leaf and Olive Archival inks.

And I even started with the idea of using one of the new Tim Holtz Watercolour butterflies.  But the kraft card took over!










The little tag had been sitting around on the kraft table for a while, after being used to mop up some Distress Stains.  And I thought it made a lovely home for the fabulous Handwritten Thoughts.













As I often do, I clear-embossed the lettering after stamping it with Coffee Archival.  You get such a lovely gleam in the right light.













I used the tiny words from the Stuff to Say set on both the large and small tags.  It just adds some extra detail and interest... and you know how I love my words!












I also love how the delicate thinlits pop against the lush springtime greenery (completely by chance lining up almost exactly with the stencilled lattice underneath)... and it was that that sent me off to make some krafty butterflies...












The Bigz/Texture Fades Butterfly Duo have been getting a real workout around here lately.











Here they are cut from kraft card (stamped first with the Stuff to Say words), and then embossed, and then given a good splattering to bring them to life.





Dyed crinkle ribbon (what else?) at the top, and a layer of kraft card to frame the whole thing, and the tag is pretty much done.














Butterflies ready for lift off!









And, as promised, here's the trio together.  You can see how the ideas and off-cuts and leftovers migrate from tag to tag.  It was a very happy few days at the craft table, grabbing time when I could to change, add or alter each of them until I was happy that they worked.  (Visit Harlequinade and Harlequin's Other Half if you need to see more.)


So, we hope you'll come and Use Kraft Card with us at Country View Challenges this month.  As always, there's a generous prize voucher from Country View Crafts, and we always love to see what you create.





Since it's April 1st (no fooling!), there's also a new challenge over at The Artistic Stamper.
 We're looking for Flora and Fauna (so this CVC tag would also qualify!) - and if you missed my offering for that at midnight last night, it would be lovely if you have a moment to check it out too!






I almost wish we were butterflies and liv'd but three summer days - three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain.
John Keats (in a letter to Fanny Brawne)

38 comments:

Helen said...

Gorgeous tag, and I love the colours (as always, when you use them) I'll stop by later and have a good look, am rushing before work...

Shirley said...

You are getting quite a kaleidoscope of butterfly tags in your collection Alison and each one looking more stunning than the other.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

chrissie said...

Grand collection of tags Alison with a beautiful fine weather feel to them.

Love Chrissie xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

This tag is soooo yummy Alison,absolutely beautiful. Oh how I wish that thinlits die would be in stock so i can buy it!
Big hugs
Donna xx

Gio said...

I loved the first ones, but now I have a new fave! Amazing sample!

Annie said...

Your tag is fabulous Alison and of course I love the colours you have used. Great layering and those butterflies......just stunning.
Your three tags together are stunning

TFS and huge hugs Annie x

craftytrog said...

Another beauty! Great texture Alison xx

Lisa Minckler said...

GASP! I thought your ink tag; which I so proudly display with thankfulness and pride, was my favorite; and I suppose it still is, but this trio of beautiful Spring wonder has me all giddy. I really love the kraft concept thrown in the mix but the way these butterflies 'lift' the tags and bring so much life to them is fabulous. Seeing all the different ways you can use a stencil also is fabulous. It's been a blast of a visit on your blog this morning!
hugs,
Lisa x

Pamellia said...

Gorgeous Alison!! I just love the aquas and greens in combination with the kraft, what a dreamy palette! Amazing job on the background, I would have loved it all on it's own! Stunning! hugs :)

massofhair said...

Wonderful textures as always and some lovely colours and textures. Your three tags together make for a wonderful wall hanging :-) xxx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous tag and tags! LOVE the length and the dies!

Mrs.B said...

Another beautiful tag Alison, I always love this colour palette and it looks fabulous with the kraft.
Avril xx

Dorthe said...

I love to go through your stories about the creative life of yours, Alison, and seeing while reading how a simple piece of paper, transforms to a most beautiful little "story" . Gorgeous with the embossed words, -I love it !!
Dorthe-xo

Sandy said...

Beautifully created Alison! When I want to learn something new, I will come to you blog!!
Sandy xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

This tag is so precious too Alison...great details...talented lady! :-)
Greetings, Alie

Redanne said...

A perfect combination - kraft, butterflies, mixed media die and Handwritten Thoughts and you have brought them together beautifully Alison. I love the three tags together, they are gorgeous! Anne x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Don't know how to write the sound of sigh! This is truly beautiful and goes so wonderfully with the other two tags!!! I can feel an addition to my shopping list coming on!! Hugs, Chrisx

Julie Lee said...

How lovely these tags look against the stone and in the natural light! They are such a celebration of the beautiful, natural world. This Kraft card beauty is superb. I adore the grasses, the contrasts and the wonderful, butterfly shapes! xx

Fliss said...

These are just so gorgeous Alison and love all the texture and blues with the kraft which go so well.
Spookliy I die cut the butterfly from kraft earlier today so hopefully I can join in this time :)
Fliss xx

Meggymay said...

Another beautiful tag, the set look amazing altogether. Wonderful textures and details.
Yxx

Chris said...

Beautiful tag Alison and I love the butterflies, textures and gorgeous spring colour scheme too. Have a Happy Easter. Chris x

Unknown said...

Wow, this is stunning!! Browns, blues and greens are gorgeous and your mixed media die cut looks perfect as part of your background xx

Corrie Herriman said...

Wow, these are so wonderful. Love everything about them !
Corrie x

Terry said...

I am not a pinner by any means, but I had to pin this gorgeous collection! Love those tags and gorgeous colors and butterflies. The colors and texture more gorgeousness! Hugs!

Lucy Edmondson said...

Oh. This is exquisite Alison!

Lucy x

hazel said...

A gorgeous tag, the colours are beautiful.
xxx Hazel.

Jackie PN said...

Another stunner! And that trio is perfect together- would look so lovely in my studio-heehee
Alison, you really do use the thinlits to the best! Your work with them is outstanding! hugsxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Really stunning Alison and wonderful to see all three of them together! Great the way you have utilized all the different elements!

Sue said...

Really beautiful tag Alison, and as everyone else has said, they look fabulous as a trio xx

massofhair said...

Hi Alison i emailed Viva Decor re paint solidifying now rock solid. Their response was "the 3D paint dries very quickly, we recommend screwing the lids on very tightly".

I would definitely add a spritz of water into the paint before putting the lid back on. Mine lasted about 18 months before i started having issues.

Hope this has been some help:-) xxx

Deb said...

Beautiful as always Alison, the multiple layers and textures you incorporate into your creations are always so amazing! Thanks for sharing your beautiful tag and glad to see the tag that started all your wonderful butterfly series!

brenda said...

As always, such beautiful work Alison.

Wishing you a happy and peaceful Easter.

B x

cathylynn said...

A trio of gorgeous tags!!! Love those butterflies! You projects are always amazing!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Hettie said...

Another beauty Alison. the three look just wonderful together.
Well done lovely.
Hugs
xx

Cocofolies said...

Just a big WOW for the trio Alison!!! Hugs, hope we will meet at Version Scrap as foreseen, provided that you will be often around PA's stand.. or maybe at a workshop if you have taken some, don't know?.. it will be the surprise! :) xxx

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW Alison, I love your tags and the wonderful butterflies, fantastic works.

Hugs
Anke

Kirsten said...

Such a beautiful tag!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Love the stuff to say words on the butterflies. And yes ... I really like the unadorned kraft card die cut lattice on top of all that rich ink. Kind of an extension of the kraft background. So beautiful and now I can't wait to reach the harlequin butterflies!!! -- ME