I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Love Shines



Hello all, and welcome to the second post of the day!

It's that time of the month - new challenge themes to play all over the place.  If you're looking for my contribution for Our Creative Corner, you'll find it here.

But right now, it's time for a new challenge over at Country View Challenges.  Our lovely host, Doreen, would like to see you all Sparkle and Shine this month.

My team-mates have produced some fabulous inspiration for you.  Some of them have gone Christmassy - perfect for the sparkle theme - but mine were made well before leaving for New York... it never occurred to me to think of Christmas back in July!

I'm not generally that sparkly, but I had lots of fun with both my projects.  First up is this jumbo tag full of the lustrous shimmer of gilding and even some hints of glitter.








I started with one of the inserts from the Tim Holtz stencil packaging as my tag background.  (As the whole thing got heavier, I mounted it on some thick card to make the whole thing sturdier.)  Since it has a slight sheen already it seemed like a good start for a shiny project.














I mixed a couple of drops of Walnut Stain Distress Re-inker with texture paste on my craft mat and applied the mixture through the Tim Holtz Gothic stencil (I think this was the very first thing I did with it when it arrived through the letter box on its release!).












Love the clean edges and great dimension.










Later it got a good dose of White Fire Treasure Gold…















… making it gleam from the dark background.
















The main focal image is the Found Relatives' baby, cut out around the top, and perched on the clock frame.

She's mounted on some padded tape for that pop of dimension.









Since the Found Relatives cards are quite glossy, even the baby adds some sparkle and shine when she catches the light!


I think the clock frame is one of the Tando ones (or perhaps I cut it using the Tim Holtz die - can't remember any longer).






It's had several layers of embossing powder applied - some plain gold and some Frantage Aged Gold in there I think.

I heated the layers until little extra bubbles of texture started to appear, to add distressed texture.














There are some Gothic book pages layered into the mix…












... as well as a Prima journalling ticket providing extra detail just behind the baby.













The flowers are from various sources - there are some Prima ones, and some that I won in a blog candy ages ago.



I'm guessing I got them on offer, as I don't usually indulge in Prima flowers…

I have to admit I'm slightly in love with the texty print on a couple of these!














Some (I think the blog candy ones) had quite a glittery finish.  Even after I did some altering with spritzes of ink and distressing of the edges, the glitter is still providing an extra touch of sparkle.











The Ornate Plate has had a fingerful of White Fire Treasure Gold applied to it to highlight all those lovely decorative ridges.  And the words pretty much stamped themselves!

When I added all the splatter later I made sure I covered the internal panel so that the words wouldn't get obscured by the flying ink.













There are some more golden metal accents in the shape of one of the large Idea-ology keys (also White-Fired!)...












... and some of the Finnabair Roman Numerals, echoing the numbers on the clock.

It was pretty much an afterthought to add some of my dried leaves (yup, that would be White Fire Treasure Gold they've been gilded with) to the mix.












I think they give quite a good hit of dramatic diagonals to the composition.












And the splatter is done with Dylusions sprays, taking the spritzers out and flicking the other end at the tag.













Even the topping has a touch of shimmer to it… no idea any more where I picked up this satiny ribbon, but it was perfect for the job here.











So that's my gleaming, golden, glittery, gilded make for you, sparkling and shining in the sunlight.

Do hop over to Country View Challenges to see how my team-mates Sparkle and Shine, as well as to check out all the challenge details and rules.









As usual, there's a prize voucher provided by our generous sponsor Country View Crafts, so do come and Sparkle and Shine with us this month.

Thanks so much for dropping in.  I should actually have some time today to do some visiting in Craftyblogland - I'm really looking forward to catching up with what you've all been creating.  Happy October everyone!










Oh, and if all that gilding is a bit rich for you, you could check out my rusty offering for Our Creative Corner from earlier today!

It sometimes happens, even in the best of families, that a baby is born.  This is not necessarily cause for alarm.  The important thing is to keep your wits about you and borrow some money.
Elinor Goulding Smith







Ingredients available at Country View Crafts:
Idea-ology Found Relatives
Idea-ology Word Keys
Tim Holtz Gothic stencil and the packaging from a Tim Holtz stencil
Idea-ology Ornate Plate
Texture Paste
Walnut Ink Distress Re-inker
Dylusions Sprays - Ground Coffee, Melted Chocolate
Treasure Gold - White Fire

59 comments:

Rita said...

I love all that you have done with this tag Alison. Beautiful embellishments too. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

froebelsternchen said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS Alison!

Helen said...

What a fabulous sparkle and shine!! such a contrast to the rust in the post below, lol!! Good to see your posts, and I hope you get a bit of time to yourself soon!

Doreen said...

Love all the details and texture on this gorgeous tag.xxx

Julia said...

I love what you have done with the clock face, a great tag with so much detail and interest. Happy October Alison x

hazel said...

A wonderful tag, I love all the details.
xxx Hazel.

Kezzy said...

WOW WOW WOW another truly awesome tag, I love the background wow so gorgeous and then all the added altered embellishments amazing. I always think of sparkle and glitter for Christmas as that's mostly what I use it on but wow you certainly have given me ideas of how to add that touch of sparkle to a stunning vintage piece. WOW. Hugs Kezzy xxx p.s. it's a Tando I reckon as the die is more grungy so the numbers are not perfect. p.p.s Hope your still have a fantastic time away in New York. How long is the contract for? Will you get to see Christmas in New York? I bet that would be an amazing atmosphere. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jackie PN said...

Oh sooo gorgeous Alison!! I love that time work look-yummyness! xoxo

Astrid Maclean said...

Gorgeous tag! Love all the textures and the way that sweet little face peeps out from underneath the flowers! Great use of the clock too!

Kay Wallace said...

Just love this, Alison! Sweet vintage color palette and that adorable baby girl steal my heart!

cathylynn said...

I'm in love with this tag. Every single detail is outstanding. I love the stenciling and the colors are beautiful. You have created pure beauty!!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Dorthe said...

A beautiful tag, so lovely with the sweet baby, and your dried silver leaves, rusted flowers, and fantastic altered frame.Wonderful dear Alison.
Dorthe, xo

sam21ski said...

Wow Alison, there is soooo much detail in this tag, it's wonderful xxx

Meihsia Liu said...

Such a gorgeous tag, Alison. Love the beautiful vintage colors and all the pretty details you created. Wonderful! :)

Corrie Herriman said...

Gorgeous Alison !
Corrie x

Tincan Crafter said...

Alison, this is gorgeous. Loved the spattered leaves and roses. I like the gilding on everything too. Life is always better when it sparkles.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

A new favorite! LOVE how you used the stencil packaging. I've saved all mine as well, as I love the tones! That baby sitting in the clock is perfection! Gorgeous!!!!

crafty creations said...

Oh Alison this is just gorgeous _ I love all the elements you've added - beautiful

Hilda x

Amanda said...

What a beautiful collection of items all put together in an exquisite way, great use of the packaging. Hope New York is fabulous!!
Love
Amanda x

Redanne said...

The baby, the clock, the tag background, the stenciling - everything is fabulous on this gorgeous tag Alison! Hope you are still having a wonderful time. Anne xx

Lys said...

Such a beautiful tag! Everything is perfect, but I prefer the paste on stencil background: fabulous!

Sue said...

This is amazing Alison, I love the White Fire TG, and how you've coloured your texture paste. I'm glad I'm not the only one clinging to Summer lol xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Again I'm surprised by your gift to work this well with mixed media...a gorgeous tag, Alison!
greetings, Alie

Meggymay said...

Another stunning project today, awesome textures and details.
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Such an adorable tag.
Wishes
Lynne

Sandy said...

Wonderful and absolutely gorgeous tag Alison!
Sandy xx

2amscrapper said...

magnificent project! love all that gold! Helene

massofhair said...

So many layers so little time... Loving your Tag Alison it is a joy to behold :-) xxx

Inkypinkycraft said...

alison cannot tell you how much i love and adore this piece x

Inkypinkycraft said...

meant to say x sorry for the lack of comments but life has other plans for me at the moment and is keeping me busy! so sorry x

Maggie said...

totally gorgeous piece of art Alison, love every detail and especially the colour - Fabulous!

MaggieH

Lisa Minckler said...

Good heavens no, this is not too much for me. Your "gleaming, golden, glittery, gilded make" is bliss on a tag. I really do like your rustic makes too, but seeing this style is fabulous too. That precious baby girl's face is adorable.
Beautiful creation chica.
hugs
Lisa x

House of Bears said...

Beautiful as always. As keen recyclers we love that you used packaging in your project.

Unknown said...

Happy October to you Alison!! I love your sparkly and glittery and shiny tag :) Your gilded elements are so pretty and those sparkly flowers are lovely--I especially love the more rusty looking of the sparkly flowers :)
Fabulous make for Country View Challenges!! XOXO-Shari

Unknown said...

Happy October to you Alison!! I love your sparkly and glittery and shiny tag :) Your gilded elements are so pretty and those sparkly flowers are lovely--I especially love the more rusty looking of the sparkly flowers :)
Fabulous make for Country View Challenges!! XOXO-Shari

Matilde said...

Lovely tag! I like its vintage look :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's lovely, great details. Also your rusty hanging looks fantastic.

Julia S-W said...

A really gorgeous, grungy beauty Alison. I adore the colour palette and just the hint of sparkle and sheen is enough for me too. Love it.
Julia xx

Kasia said...

Absolutely wonderful tag, Alison! Stunning details :)

Dianne said...

OH MY GOODNESS, so much to take in, all the fabulous texture, its gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous, I just love what you do to your flowers, the background alone is stunning,I just want to touch it, thanks for sharing, hope you have a wonderful weekend in the Big Apple ((( HUGE HUGS )))...

Martina said...

Dear Alison, on your blog, a lot has happened since my absence and your new work is very charming and beautiful. I especially like this tag with the lovely photo and the gorgeous details. So cool :-)

Julie Lee said...

A terrific tag, Alison! I have been so behind with commenting myself lately that I'm having a flutter around Blogland to see what everyone has been up to, and this is really stunning. I love the roses and that beautiful embossed background. Julie Ann xxx

Ana K. said...

Wow Alison, outstanding tag… I love every single detail on it, so cleverly made and really inspiring piece for Sparkle and Shine challenge!!! Best wishes from Slovenia

barbarayaya62 said...

Gorgeous piece!!! barbarayaya

Mrs.B said...

This is absolutely beautiful Alison,
Love the baby image with all the shimmer and sparkle.
Hope things are going well in NY
Avril xx

Hettie said...

Wow. WOw and even more WOW! I just love this tag Alison. That image, the background and everything is super.
Trying to play catch up as I too have been over the Pond celebrating with the Hubster!
I was a little north of you though.
Hugs
xx

Ruth said...

What a fantastic tag, love the use of Tims packaging. The clock, baby and all the embellishments make for a wonderful result. Ruth x

Evelyn Walter said...

Love this tag, Alison! Everything is fitting so perfect again. The embossed Clockface looks great.
Have a good week!

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous project Alison! Love the sweet image and the stunning background! The texture looks amazing!

Jenny Marples said...

Such a beautiful contrast in textures. Love that gothic background. Jenny x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful! Love the texture on the tag and the way it shines! All those lovely additions layered up look so gorgeous too! Hugs, Chrisx

Unknown said...

You always make such elegant pieces Allison... I love this one with out exception... beautiful ART... Love, light and Peace...Bonnie

Chris said...

Fabulous project Alison, I love the colours and all your gorgeous layers and textures. Chris x

maria's knutselplezier said...

Woooow, what an amazing tag!!!!I really love every detail of it!!!So pretty !!!

Greetings
Maria

Shoshi said...

Fabulous, Alison. Love all the detail and dimension, and the accents on the "metal" parts.

Shoshi

Kelly said...

Stunning tag, I love it so much. The mix of metal and elegance is so amazing, I love how your tags come out.
Hugs to you,
Kelly

Cocofolies said...

Oh, I've missed this post sorry. That's a wonderful tag Alison, really exquisite!! Hugs, Coco xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

The mix of textures is stunning - I want to reach through the screen to touch it! Pinning instead :-)

Unknown said...

The background is fabulous and I love all of the sparkly and metallic effects. Such a sweet photo too!