I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 30 July 2014

A Foggy Artistic Outpost Day

Hello all - it's an up and down day today.  I'm delighted to be part of this Artistic Outpost bloghop, the first one under new management, celebrating the re-launch of the AO line... but I'm also really sad that it's going to be my last official duty with Artistic Outpost.

As you all know, real life has kicked into action, with so much going on on the work front that I'm having to re-balance how everything fits together... and this is one place I've decided to cut back.  It's been a huge honour and privilege to play with these beautiful stamps, and to work with the amazing AO team, under Lisa's brilliant leadership.

Speaking of that amazing team, here's the itinerary for today's hop...
Alison Bomber, Terry Horrall, Kate Yetter

I do hope you'll find time to pay them a visit - you won't be disappointed, I promise you!  And there's a special summer sale with 20% off all Flower and Gardening plates.  You'll find the details here.  But before you head off, here's my offering... and there's even an extra little bonus to come.


Since I'm so sad to be going, it seems appropriate that this is definitely in a bluesy mode...




I started with some Distress Stains on the craft mat - Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans and Pumice Stone - to create the backgrounds.

Then I used the stamps from Loverly London to create some London vignettes.












At one end we have the dapper businessman, stamped in a combination of Blue Violet and Cobalt Archival inks...













...with his pen nib to record the day's transactions.













At the other end the woman - either a lady, or perhaps a singer from the music hall, in which case she's probably no lady at all.  (Classic music hall songs of the time include She Sits Among The Cabbages and Peas - say it out loud to yourself!)

The Idea-ology feather echoes those fabulous plumes in her hat.










Big Ben stands tall and proud in the centre (though that's actually the name of the bell, not the tower)...

... with all those cogs and gears to keep the hands turning and time ticking away.












I used one of the other stamps from the same set to add the random script stamping for extra texture.










And the words are what really gives away at least one of our protagonists as less than gentlefolk in status...

They're very much the words of "the lower sort"!










They're all fastened on with the adorable Idea-ology mini paper clips.

The ATCs are mounted onto some corrugated cardboard, and I was really pleased that I managed to paint it to match the ink used for the stamping - don't ask me what colours were involved!!






And here's your final little added extra.  You'll have noticed there were four backgrounds originally... well, here's a bonus ATC.


Yup, it's a foggy day in London town (with some added gesso to give that soft smoky effect over the stamping)... the detail on these stamps is really incredible.

So there you go - my last official post for Artistic Outpost.  I hope I haven't made you all too blue!

I'd just like to say thank you again to Lisa, Robyn and Steven for inviting me on board in the first place, to the rest of the DT for your amazing inspiration and company on the journey, and I wish you all a fantastic time on the adventures ahead.  Artistic Outpost will always hold a special place in my heart and in my crafting, so you'll still be seeing these amazing stamps turning up from time to time, never fear!

Thanks for stopping by today, and I hope you enjoy your AO hopping!

This melancholy London - I sometimes imagine that the souls of the lost are compelled to walk through its streets perpetually.  One feels them passing like a whiff of air.
W.B.Yeats

51 comments:

barbarayaya62 said...

I love this tryptic! Each of your creations is amazing! As Always great works! BArbarayaya

Helen said...

What a fabulous set of prints to finish! love the blues, and the atc is especially gorgeous! Hope your life regains some balance soon. xx

Ink Art Designs said...

Such a beautiful way to finish off. I love the blues (never too much! lol) and with the gesso, the effect is so soft and full of atmosphere.
All the very best for whatever crafty adventures lay ahead for you - I can't wait to see what you do next.
Dot x

Clare Lloyd said...

Fabulous project, really love the background effect,

Jenny Marples said...

What a magnificent way to sign off - a real rhapsody in blue (and grey!) You've done a sterling job for AO and I bet they really appreciate everything you've done during your time with them. Enjoy your new and exciting journey and all it brings. Jenny x

chrissie said...

So sorry that your crafting is being taken over by other parts of your life Alison and that it has made you sad :(

Beautiful projects as always and nice that there is a blog hop as well.

Not been to London for over 20 years but when we did go there I thought the same as Yeats !

Thinking of you

Love Chrissie x

Cestina said...

Yes I too am with Yeats and Chrissie about London - and this epitomises it beautifully, especially the bonus bit....xxx

Dagmar said...

Wow wow wow- What a great work!!! I must say in german:
Es ist traurig, das deine Designtätigkeit bei AO endet aber leider holen uns die Pflichten des Alltags oft ein. Ich werde weiterhin ein treuer Fan deines Blogs sein, denn ich liebe deine Arbeiten sehr. Sei ganz lieb gedrückt und herzlichste Grüße, Dagmar

Lucy Edmondson said...

Absolutely loverly, Alison! Love the foggy colours. This plate always makes me think of my fair lady and also of the Sarah waters' books,

Lucy x

Redanne said...

This is such a wonderful creation and shows off London beautifully in those blue and grey tones. The ATC was definitely a bonus too.

Sorry that you are leaving AO but I guess life has to win on this occasion! Wishing you all the very best in whatever the future holds for you. Anne xx

Julie Lee said...

What a fabulous post, if somewhat blue with your departure! You will be missed! Like Lucy, these stamps conjure thoughts of Prof. Higgins and Eliza for me; but I do love Marie Lloyd too with her double-entendres!!! You have really evoked 'A foggy day in London Town' in that marvellous ATC! You are such a talented artist, Alison, I do hope we shall still see a great deal of you in other parts of Blogland! I've loved your work for AO! Julie Ann xxx

Deborah said...

Love the blue/greys, Alison. What a shame you have to give up the AO DT.

Amanda said...

Alison a fabulous even though sad swan song for AO using this wonderful London stamp set, you've really captured the smoggy past of a time gone by. Whilst I'll miss your creations using these wonderful stamps good luck with your pending work commitments.
Love
Amanda x

Evelyn Walter said...

When being blue looks like your project, it can´t be too bad ;).
O. k., now seriously. I love your project, fabulous as usual, dear Alison. Sometimes we have to make a choice, otherwise the joy degenerates into stress.
xx Evelyn

Jackie PN said...

Oh Alison- I am so sorry you are feeling so blue! Your piece is so loverly!! Reminds me of Old time movie pictures- and when I said that song out loud- I cracked up!!! thank you for the giggle!!
all good things~xo

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wishing you all the very best Alison in your new ventures! you will be missed. Love your art today, the foggy tones of colour in your background are wonderful for the focal images. Love them. Tracy x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Stunning use of blues Alison,if you can be sad and produce such gorgeousness what can I say!!

Hugs
Donna xx

Anonymous said...

Alison this is a beautiful make!!I love the combination of Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans and Pumice Stone. This is a fantastic stamp set too. I also wanted to thank-you for your visit and kind comment on my blog. Much appreciated. Karen.x

Kay Wallace said...

A creative triptych in foggy colors is perfect for your adieu to us all on AO. Your remarkable style will certainly be missed. I love your use of metal in these great ATCs, Alison. Against your foggy background, they really stand out. A perfect element!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Hi my dear friend Alison!! I am so sorry it has take sooooo very long to get over here. I know the pangs of having to re-allocate time when life ramps up. You have given an appropriately blue good-bye to AO. Really beautifully simple background for these gorgeous stamps. So very "loverly" and so very melancholy like Yeats' London.

Unknown said...

I love your offering Alison!!! Real life does have a tendency to get in the way of crafting but the bright side is that you are a highly successful voice and text coach. :) xx

Terry said...

Alison, you will be very missed at AO and I am so thankful we have been on two design teams together! I wish you all the best in all your adventures! Love your foggy day and the blue tones are soft and subtle. Each panel is stunning and looks amazing on the corrugated cardboard! Love this! Hugs!

Cocofolies said...

Oh Alison... This is sad news... We know all well how much you loved Artistic Outpost, you did the most wonderful job for this rubber stamps brand EVER. I personally discovered the brand and fell in love with it thanks to you as you know! Once again, what I see today is really amazing. Well done for your last creation for the team! But I'm quite sure we will continue to see these stamps on your gorgeous works.. All my best wishes for your current big project for your work Alison. Hugs, Coco xxx

Unknown said...

Loverly, Just Loverly, Alison!! :)You've created a wonderful, 'farewell' piece for AO! I'm still with you, following your blog and finding inspiration in everything that you do!! Hang in there, Alison!! XOXO-Shari

froebelsternchen said...

what a fantastic project Alison! Amazing!

Kate Yetter said...

Loving the backgrounds, Alison. Your metal embellishments look fabulous. And as always I love your color scheme. Will miss you on the team but will be following your journey.
Kate

Juliz Design Post said...

Love the way you have depicted this project, suits it perfectly.
Julie x

Matilde said...

I love your ideas! Great background :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a wonderful piece of art, love the color scheme and the use of the corrugated cardboard.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Such an amazing finale Girlfriend, just Beautiful. You will be missed. Good luck on all your adventures! xx

Meggymay said...

A stunning project, a wonderful scenic trip to London of Yesteryear.
Yvonne

cathylynn said...

Alison your created another gorgeous piece of art. Great coloring and fine details. Sorry this is the last DT post but when one door closes another opens. Good luck to whatever the future holds for you.
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

cathylynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nan G said...

A smashing last AO post butterfly! "Cabbages and Peas" :0 !!! Love your sense of humor!

Hettie said...

Tee hee! Trust you! Hubby is wondering why I am having a giggle to myself!
Great piece and post. Loving all this. Sorry to hear you are leaving AO but you gotta think about your bread and butter.
Nice touch on the Ben being the bell. Did you know there is a Welsh connection too? Ben is named after Ben Llanover...Llanover being near Abergavenny!
Hugs
xx

Lisa Somerville said...

Stunning in blues Alison! Thank you so much for sharing your time and talents with us on the Artistic Outpost Team! I wish you all the best with your creative endeavors and all that life has to offer! It's been a pleasure working with you!

Michele said...

classy! xo

Astrid Maclean said...

What a wonderful grand finale Alison, beautiful evocative colours, a great hanging! Love the misty London ATC too!

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, seems so long ago I was here, but I can see I also commented on your last post , so only my imagination, because I`m so bussy with having my daughter and grandkids ,here :-)
I`m sorry you have to leave the Artistic Outpost , but so understand the need of not living a totally stressed life ,with too many obligations.
Your tags are wonderful, and I so laughed saying those words loud !! They knew how to amuse the "little " everyday man, back then :-)
Wish you a wonderful rest of the week.-
Hugs,Dorthe

Anonymous said...

The stony grey colours works an absolute treat with those stamps.
Alison, AO were so lucky to have your artistry and you will no doubt be greatly missed by AO and their DT.
Wishes
Lynne

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Totally loverly! Such a sweet and sad last post for AO. So happy to know that this wonderful professional opportunity has opened up for you, but sad to see you leave AO. It's been such an honor to be on two design teams with you and hope that we may be on another team together sometime in the future!

Hugs,
Linda

pearshapedcrafting said...

You always have made such lovely AO creations and this is no exception - I just love the stamping on those watery backgrounds, they look perfect on their black mount, Hugs, Chrisx

hazel said...

This is wonderful Alison, I love the blues and the fabulous images.
xxx Hazel.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous project Alison! Love the bluish tones you've used and as usual your description is a joy to read. Sue C x

sam21ski said...

Another fantastic make, great colours

Sam xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous final project, your really have gone out on a 'high'
Avril xx

Paper Profusion said...

AO sure will miss your wonderful creative inspiration Alison. I think it was your goodself that brought their wonderful brand to my attention. Nicola x

Inkypinkycraft said...

A beautiful creation Alison and your work will be sorley missed x :)

Inkypinkycraft said...

A beautiful creation Alison and your work will be sorley missed x :)

Kasia said...

Beautiful creations! Love the backgrounds - really foggy day :) These stamps are amazing!

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow truly gorgeous, even though the blue is because your sad. It must have been a difficult decision but like I said earlier, it's better to work something out like this rather then getting to the point of not loving to create at all. Lots of hugs Kezzy :-) xxxxx