I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Fly high, fly free

Hello everyone!  Thanks so much for dropping in.  It's time for a new challenge over at Fun With ATCs today, and it's a good one: we'd like to see Die-cuts on your 2.5 x 3.5 Artists' Trading Cards.  As usual, there are some wonderful makes from my inspirational design team-mates, and here's my offering for you.


I should probably apologise for the fact that my die-cuts have slightly burst out of the 2.5 x 3.5 boundaries of the ATC - what can I say?  My butterfly happens to have spread his wings at just the wrong moment!





I started with wanting to use my new (well - "ebay new") Tim Holtz Fanciful Flight die, and I'm
afraid even the size restrictions weren't going to stop me.

There's lots of recycling on this ATC too: old Coke cans and acetate packaging, as well as a tag which had been sitting around on my craft table for ages, awaiting its chance.













I started by applying alcohol inks to a piece of acetate cut from a die package (see, even using the packaging from die-cuts - does that make up for breaking the size rules?).  

Here's the panel balanced on the blending tool used to create it!





Then I applied the same colours to the back of a cut-up Diet Coke can - Stream, Denim, Bottle Green, maybe a couple of others...  

But when it came to the cutting out, I forgot to reverse the surface for the second set of wings, so had to start again.






I'm glad I did, since I'd decided in the meantime that it would be better to have some colour contrast between the lattice and the solid wings.  

So on the second can, I used some of the same blues and greens, but added Cranberry, Rust and some others to the mix too.










The great thing about having the wings made of acetate and metal is that they are super-mouldable
when you heat them...













... and hold the shape beautifully once you've got it how you want it.











I wanted plenty of dimension for the body, so I stuck a piece of the inked tin onto thick card before running it through the BigShot.  


I used some Viva Decor Precious Metal paint to colour the edges of the body.  


(Sorry not sure of the colour, and unable to check - since I'm still having to do all my writing and posting from a coffee shop while I wait for the return of my internet connection!)


And the antennae are made of rusty wire, curled round some dowelling.




I stuck the tag - which I'd wrinkle-free distressed some time ago - onto some card, and cut it out using the TH ATC and Corners die.

It's probably Stormy Sky, Weathered Wood, maybe some Faded Jeans - not sure any more, I'm afraid, but quite good as a "sky" background, eh?

I cut the corners out of some of the leftover tin can scraps.








The stamped words had been hovering in my mind from the beginning...















... so it was just a matter of deciding what colour to stamp them in (Sepia Archival) and where, using my little Hero Arts alphabet.












The butterfly is glued down with Glossy Accents - fiddly getting the antennae to stay put without getting tangled in each other, but worth it. 

And I do love how he's just ready to take off.







Since I've had no internet, I've had some time to make the most of the sunshine in the garden over the weekend - and I've had plenty of butterflies taking time out from the Buddleia to perch on my arm or leg.  Such a privilege to get to observe these exquisite creatures close up...


I'd like to enter this in the following:
At Vintage Stamping Challenges they are playing Wings and Things
At Out of a Hat Creations, they'd like to see Things Beginning with B - do I need to say what mine is?
And at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge the theme is Make the Cut, using die-cuts 

Lovely coincidence there with the Simon challenge: you could do the double too with the Fun With ATCs Die-Cut challenge! In any case, do pop across to see what my team-mates have been up to, and I hope to see you there, or elsewhere in Craftyblogland soon.

Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.
Nathaniel Hawthorne






As it's Tuesday, I'm also over at Artistic Outpost today, with a focus on the stamps from my Little Boy Bluebird canvas, so if you've time to spare you could always hop on over...

Happy Crafting, all!

67 comments:

barbarayaya62 said...

what a wonderful butterfly! Great work, love this technique , colors are stunning as alwyas! BArbarayaya

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning make Alison, love how the acetate on the wings has turned out and that photo of it resting on your blending tool had me totally fooled at first. I seriously thought for a moment you had coloured that one too and was wondering how you'd managed to get the effect lol.
Love how the butterflies seems to be just taking off and great detailing with those antennae!

Hope you get that internet fixed soon but maybe a few days in the garden isn't such a bad thing, specially when the sun is shining!

Helen said...

Beautiful butterfly, and the atc base is perfect. what a masterpiece.

Yvonne Garner said...

Hi Alison! More eye candy! Magnificent! Best, Yvonne

Debi said...

Absolute stunner !!!!!! Just LOVE the butterfly ;) debi x

Inkypinkycraft said...

this is a gorgeous and creative make! I like Astrid thought you had coloured your tool for a moment!? Love how you have created your beautiful butterfly, hope your internet returns soon. hugs trace x

chrissie said...

What a fabulous ATC and great ideas for the wings.

The collage is amazing with so many things to look at.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie x

froebelsternchen said...

AMAZING Alison! what a great make! and I am to look the details for the second piece!

Always wonderful to visit your blog!

Cestina said...

Oh this is simply stunning.....I love it.

Brenda Brown said...

The butterfly is inked and painted to perfection Alison, such a fabulous make.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Amanda said...

I love how your butterfly worked out, stunning. I haven't used this die even though I have had it for ages might have to dig it out! Great inspiration.
Love
Amanda x

Jenny Marples said...

Love that butterfly! Superb attention to detail as ever. Hugs, Jenny x

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, you are so right about real butterflies being exquisite! This has to be the most wonderful butterfly die EVER and what you have done with it is absolutely stunning! Love how you made it look like it is about to take off - beautiful work. Hugs, Anne x

brenda said...

Just back from my hols so popping in to say hello Alison and look at your work which is great at always - thanks for sharing at Flonzcraft VSC. Catch you again as soon as the dreaded washing is done.

B x

Paper Profusion said...

Totally stunning Alison! Exceptional recycling too.

I'm sorry to have been absent - there was a crisis/disaster that completely absorbed all my time and energy. Nicola x

chrissie said...

So busy admiring the makes I forgot to say thank you for sharing your butterfly with us at Out of a Hat

Love Chrissie. Again lol xx

Victoria said...

Oooo it just wants to take flight! I'm not surprised you couldn't resist using this lovely.

Von said...

It's fabulous Alison :)
Von ♥

toni said...

Wowzers! Fabulous butterfly love the combination of metal and acetate ingenius Gorgeous colours x

cathylynn said...

I'm in total awe! I love your butterfly and your use of combining the materials. Great colors too. I might have to give that technique a try. Thanks so much for sharing!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

House of Bears said...

Those wings are stunning, they definitely needed to be bursting off the page in our opinion. We have loads of die cuts which we really must try to use more.

Aquarius said...

I'm sure no one is going to mind about this beautiful creature breaking out from the ATC size restrictions. Love this die but it is large isn't it. Clever bit of recycling.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool, it's a fascinating project.

Nan G said...

Stunning butterfly, Alison! So it's a bit oversized. We love it! Fab idea using the can.

Lisa Minckler said...

I absorbed EVERY word of that tutorial and I'm amazed. I can see these butterflies everywhere in every nook and cranny of the world. This is just recycled bliss and you are fully pardoned by me that it extends beyond the ATC measurements..it has to!
Gorgeous make Alison!! :D
hugs,
Lisa x

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Alison! What a stunning butterfly! Thanks for sharing the how to!

Candy C said...

Wow Alison! Your Tim butterfly is gorgeous! To be honest, this die cut was not one of my favorites of Tim's. I'd never even considered purchasing it...until now! I love how you used an old Coke can to create the wings and the alcohol inked acetate to make those metal wings so gorgeous! That is such a cool idea and your ATC finished out so pretty! Love this! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. <3 Candy

Sandra's Spot said...

Stunning and Beautiful Alison just love the colours. Such a perfect B for OOAH thanks for joining us. Hugs Sandra XXX

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fabulous ATC - I love that it overhangs!! And what great use of recycled products. I have never really liked this butterfly die but I know want it!! Just off to the Artistic Outpost to view your other project which looks very interesting too. x

Rita said...

Beautiful Creation Alison. I love it and the glorious colours make it so special. Hugs Rita xxx

catherine said...

Looks so stunning Alison. just loving the green colours and the butterfly
x catherine

Janet said...

WOW !!! that is a beautiful Butterfly ATC thanks for joining us at OOAH
Janet x

Iris said...

Such a lovely butterfly!

Chrissy said...

Such a stunning butterfly Alison...magnificent colours..and I'm SO going to go buy a can of coke..or maybe lemonade..I really feel the need to die cut something...gorgeous.

luv CHRISSYxx

Tincan Crafter said...

The fanciful flight die is really turning out to be one of my favourites - I love how you metalled everything up. Do you reckon the ATC and corners die is a worthy investment, I have been debating about investing in it - loved what you did with them here!

Tincan Crafter said...

The fanciful flight die is really turning out to be one of my favourites - I love how you metalled everything up. Do you reckon the ATC and corners die is a worthy investment, I have been debating about investing in it - loved what you did with them here!

Dorthe said...

Alison, this is a stunning piece of art,-Oh my!! that butterfly, truly is a gorgeous piece, and so very fantastic, in colours and the metal effect from the can...
I hope you are forgiving the big size :-) , because of it`s beauty!!!
xoxo, Dorthe

Cocofolies said...

How do you do that Alison?... All your artworks are always so gorgeous !!!! Your dragonfly today is absolutely and utterly stunning and wonderful, what a fab ATC... Good luck for the challenges ! And congrats also for your win on the previous SSS&S challenge, so well-deserved ! This make should win again in my view. Coco xx

Annie said...

Hi Alison........your ATC is stunning and reminded me that I have not used this TH die in ages. Its so beautiful with the acetate and the metal looks fantastic.

Sending you a huge crafty hug as I have not had a chance to comment on your fab makes over the last 10 days..........your projects are just perfect as always.

Take care and see you soon....for real

Annie x

Julia said...

I read this twice and will probably return to read it again. Wonderful work Alison, so clever and the result is beautiful.x

Deborah said...

Your butterfly is utterly stunning, Alison, especially when you consider it's made from 'rubbish'.

Anonymous said...

It is as though a butterfly has broken free from a Tiffany creation and alighted itself on your ATC.
What a beautiful background you created, so fluid and dreamy.
Wishes
Lynne

Unni A said...

Stunning! Amazing! I'm speechless!
hugs, Unni

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

A most gorgeous make! LOVE that butterfly!!!! PINNING!

Mrs.B said...

Hi Alison, a truly gorgeous make, love the metal wings with the acetate, beautiful. Don't forget - it wasn't your fault the butterfly spread it's wings!
Avril xx

Scraps of Elegance said...

You've created such a magical butterfly! I adore your techniques, thanks for sharing them. It's just fantastical.

Chris said...

Fantastic ATC Alison! I love those butterfly wings and the alcohol ink effect is stunning, i also love how your butterfly has broken out of the size restrictions, perfect for a butterfly. Chris x

Sophie said...

Ein Traum von Schmetterling.
So unglaublich schön.
Das gute Stück sieht richtig antik und teuer aus :-)
CHAPEAU!

Liebe Grüße von Sophie

Faye said...

I absolutely love the butterfly made of recycled materials.

May said...

Stunning butterfly, Love the recycled products... a mini masterpiece... Love it...Hugs May x x x x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Love this free butterfly, Alison...such an impressive creation. Gorgeous butterfly..wowww

kind regards, Alie :-)

Sandy said...

I too like the fact that your butterfly is larger than the ATC - now you think the pretty butterfly is flying away - odd, I thought the butterfly decided to land on your pretty little make. I distinctly heard her say - "ah home!" I love your ATC Alison!
Sandy

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a beautiful creation, Alison. I think this gorgeous butterfly is just the perfect size to the ATC. Your creation is always amazing. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this week. :)

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

So lush and lovely Alison. The next best thing to the real deal which we are eagerly awaiting when the storms arrive.

Terry said...

Love this ATC taking flight! Stunning butterfly and the touch of cranberry and rust just made those wings! Love this!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous, & so inspiring! I love it Alison!
xxx

maria's knutselplezier said...

What an amazing piece of ART, what a great butterfly!! It really is stunning and wonderfull , I really love it, thanks for explaining how to du it!!!

Greetings
Maria

Anna-Karin said...

This is beautiful Alison! Love your use of the butterfly die, I don't think I have ever seen a prettier version of that butterfly. Gorgeous textures. Thank you so much for sharing die cut ideas with us this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

sam21ski said...

Oooh fabulous and love the mottled background

Sam - OOAHC xxx

mark gould said...

A simplt amazing ATC, a beautiful finish and a stunning make x

Anonymous said...

Your butterfly is amazing. Love the metal patina finish with the clear coloured wings. I must admit this die has never really captured my imagination but you have made a thing a beauty with it.

Kezzy said...

Wow gorgeous super fantastic. You really do think up some crazy but fab stuff lol. I think we can forgive you for the butterflies accidental spreading of wings lol. I think it looks awesome this way. I have that die and haven't used it in ages, must re start me thinks. Ebay wonders, I have one coming this week, I wanted the accordian fold card from Sizzix and every shop was sold out but managed to get one from eBay. So loving your alcohol ink tool extremely fashionable in the craft world :-) Kezzy xxx

Mary Elizabeth said...

Really?!?! I just go away for two weeks and I come back to find incredible projects on your blog lined up one after the other :) This butterfly's butterfly is unreal. Wow!! You certainly know how to make a big impact in a little space. Beautiful. One of my favorite projects. -- Mary Elizabeth

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh my stars, Alison! This creature is incredibly gorgeous... LOVE the colors and the shape/position of the wings. Amazing. Off to pin...

craftimamma said...

What an amazing butterfly Alison. The colours are stunning. This is an incredibly beautiful ATC!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Shirley said...

Who cares if the butterfly goes out of the dimensional area especially with such a stunning make as this Alison. Love the translucent effect.

Thank you for sharing with us at Vintage Stamping Challenges.

Crafty hugs from Shirl x x

Bonnie Irvine said...

I love that the atc couldn't contain this stunning butterfly. Sometimes the boxes we find ourselves in are just too small and we have to break out and fly high. This butterfly is exquisite and meant for bigger things. The idea of using the metal can and the packaging was brilliant. The alcohol inks give it lovely jewel tones...great call on adding the contrasting colours to the body. Amazing.