I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 16 March 2013

That's the Ticket!



Hi all, welcome to Words and Pictures, with an especially big welcome to the newest followers - I'm so happy to have you with me on the journey.


Those of you who've been around a while will probably have guessed that with a theme entitled Chic to be Shabby, I wouldn't be able to resist making another entry to this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge.


And I also wanted to include some flourishes and swirls - seems like a very shabby chic ingredient - so that I could play along with the Fashionable Stamping Challenge's Swirls theme too, since I haven't managed to join in for a while.


So I got out another of my bargain MDF tickets (part of what's intended to be an album, but I've already used one as a hanging, and that's my plan for the rest too), and set to work.


Nothing went right with the first go, so I flipped over and started again - the bonus of working on a really sturdy, thick piece of MDF - and that's what you see here as the finished piece.




I started with a base coat of Fresco London Night, and then applied texture paste through the gorgeous Crafty Individuals stencil I got as part of my lucky candy win from the fabulous Lynne at Adorn (inspirational shabby chic work - do pay her a visit if you've never been).


Next step was to add some PaperArtsy crackle glaze, but I didn't want it all over the piece.  I think you can see the gloss of the areas I've applied it to in this picture.








Once all that was dry, it was time for the next coat of paint.  I used Fresco Snowflake and applied it with a brush in some areas (for good strong crackles) and sponged it on in others (for a finer porcelain crackle effect).

You have to work fast, as it will start cracking as soon as you apply it - lightning fast hands switching from brush to sponge and back again!

No need to be patient about drying times with this: you can blast it with the heat tool, but I've noticed you seem to get larger, more prominent cracks that way than if you just leave it to dry naturally.








Now time for some stamping - yay!  A bit of Papillon text rolled on in places, and the shabbiest chic sentiment, I think, of all the Tim Holtz ones.



And I did a bit of inky distressing with Vintage Photo and a touch of Gathered Twigs.  It highlights the texture paste flourish beautifully against the pale background.



Next step was to add some of my favourite sprigs and branches from the Autumn Leaves Silhouette Blossoms set - they never fail to make my heart sing.












I used some handmade paper to create the hearts, running them through the TH Damask embossing folder and then cutting them with the Mini-Hearts Movers and Shapers dies.


















They also got a bit of the Vintage Photo treatment, to highlight the swirls of the damask pattern.



The hearts are mounted on either single and double layers of padded tape to get them hovering at various heights over the shabby background.  



I hope that they, with the texture paste flourishes, will be enough P.O.P. to satisfy them over at Inspiration Journal this month.



They're looking for dimensionality, anything that stands out or "pops" (pops of colour also allowed, I believe).





The large flowers are, of course, my cheapo ones from The Range, clustered with the hearts and some of the tiny mulberry paper roses.















Both the large ones and the smaller white ones have had a go with the Distress Ink - mainly Vintage Photo, but a few strokes of Gathered Twigs for extra depth.






I decided I wanted to foreground the sentiment a little better, and at the same time add some more of the delicious handmade paper texture, so I stamped it again on the paper, tore it out, and inked the edges for definition.

The rough texture of the paper gives the stamping a fabulously shabby look!










The lovely delicate twine, fastened at the top with two of the smallest roses, came as part of another recent lucky win.  The extraordinary Polish artist Kasia of Papierowy Wymiar was giving away one of her amazing album creations, and I won the draw.  

Along with the album (a glorious combination of corrugated card and butterflies - clearly meant to be), she included lots of lovely bits and pieces wrapped in book pages and tied up with this delicious twine - as you can imagine, it went straight in my stash!








So that's my shabby chic giant ticket hanging... I hope you like it.  Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by, and (if I know you've been) I'll do my best to make a return visit as soon as I can.

I'd like to enter this in the following
Chic to be Shabby at Simon Says Stamp and Show
Swirls at the Fashionable Stamping Challenge
Pick and Mix, the inaugural challenge at Country View Challenges
Add a little P.O.P. at the Inspiration Journal

The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.
W.B.Yeats

Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.
Attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

66 comments:

Ana K. said...

Fabulous as always Alison...fantastic background!

maria's knutselplezier said...

what an amazing tag, , what a marvellous background, and I really love all the beautiful details in the front !!

Greetings
Maria

Chrissy said...

I love the crackle effect Alison,fabulous shabby chic,giant, ticket, hanging...try saying that 10 times without smiling..lol..love the flowers and heart and gorgeous sentiment..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Anonymous said...

Lovely layers. Fabulous project Alison. Have a great weekend.
Florence x

Debi said...

very shabby very chic- I adore this white paint shabby look with the terracotta- yum yummy , Debi x

chrissie said...

Fantastic Alison and inspiring for me. It certaining 'sharpened my senses' and I am off to try an idea that sprung to mind, before I forget it again lol

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Brenda Brown said...

Divinely shabby Alison. Wonderful textures, layers and colours as always. Mmmmm reminds me if milk and white chocolate. You can tell I'm in Easter mode a bit can't you lol.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Deborah said...

I've lost my mojo so am enjoying seeing yours in full flow. Fabulous!

crealinedance said...

Hallo mooi gemaakt.gr.Nel

Anna-Karin said...

Another gorgeous project Alison. I love that large wooden ticket you used as a background, what a great find. Gorgeous background with the crackles and stencil work and of course the stamping. Love the hearts and flowers too, perfect with the sentiment. Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Oooooh I just absolutely adore this Alison! It is stunning! The colours, the textures and all the layers. And thank you for the how to - l really appreciate that and of course alot more things added to my ever expanding wish list. Have a lovely weekend x

Lucy Edmondson said...

Gorgeous, I particularly love the stencilling,

Lucy x

Dan said...

What a lovely piece Alison! So much wonderful texture with the crackle, embossing paste and your embossed hearts. Thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

Jenny Marples said...

Inspiring, feminine, beautiful. This is you to perfection. Love the mix of textures and your subtlety with being able to limit the colour palette. Hope all is going well on your latest adventure. Hugs, Jenny x

Astrid Maclean said...

Another great hanger Alison, love the textured hearts and swirls and the yummy shabby chic colours.

House of Bears said...

We love all the detail on your hanging, stamping then tearing your sentiment really adds that extra dimension to the project, shabby chic indeed. We feel the need for some MDF tickets now.

cathylynn said...

What a gorgeous tag! I love every single detail. The colors are wonderful and the textures scream shabby chic. What an inspiration you are. Thanks so much for sharing your talent!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Claudia N. said...

Oh my, I understand why the Autumn Leaves Stamp Set is one of your favourites, Alison!

It turns your lovely crackled shabby creation into a piece of poetry!!! LOVE IT!

Hugs,

Claudia xx

Dawn Ruth said...

This is great very shabby chic I see you're another blog to follow

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Great pictures of all the steps...gorgeous result Alison!

nice weekend, Alie :-)

froebelsternchen said...

it´s a romantic shabby and adorable tag with a poetry touch --makes me happy Alsion.. really!

Netty said...

Loving your beautiful shabby chic hanging Alison, fab colourings and am loving the quote, I think its the nicest quote Tim Holtz has created. Enjoy the weekend, hugs Annette x

Sarah said...

Another lovely creation!

Keren Tamir said...

I just love this Alison. That crackle looks amazing wow!! How did you get it so prominent. Just fabulous!!!

Rita said...

What a Stunning hanging Alison. Lots of lovely textures going on and I love the Shabby Chic look. Hugs Rita xx

Brenda Brown said...

I must have been a bit blurry eyed when I commented this morning Alison, just popped back to say thanks for sharing your fabulous tag at Country View Challenges and FSC.
Have a great weekend.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Annie said...

Love this style Alison....the colours are fantastic and add to the Shabby Chic look you have created here.

Love the twine and roses. Have a great weekend

CRafty Hugs

Annie x

Sarah-Jane said...

Amazing creation as always. Everything you create always looks so beautiful to me, your very talented.
Sarah-Jane xx

Julia S-W said...

So beautiful Alison. I love the colour palette and the crackling of course!
Juliaxx

Redanne said...

Stunning, beautiful, gorgeous - all of these! Hope all is going well at your end. Hugs, Anne x

Dianne said...

Oh Alison as soon as I seen your post I went and made a tea. So here I sit taking it all in, my heart is singing too. I must love the same things you do cause I love everything you make:):).First off made on MDF amazing. Love swirls, how you added the texture,the crackling and the text printed kind off, love it. I adore the springs and branches, beautiful.Pretty swirly hearts, all that vintage all over, hhhmmmm.The sentiment looks lovely stamped shabby, very kool. Pretty vintage roses, just lovely. Okay I've run out of the adjectives I know LOL.
Thanks for sharing this fabulous work of art, and for all the info on how you made it. Hope your having a great weekend..

catherine said...

Love everything about this Alison and the textural look is amazing.
x catherine

Sandy said...

Alison I am going to start calling you the Texture Queen - You provide the best interest with wonderful texture and always so well done. You've got class ma dear!!!! Oh did I tell you how much I love this!! Magic also brings artists like you into my studio!!!
Sandy

Candy C said...

Alison...your vintage/shabby chic tag is just stunning! I love your crackled washed background. It's so chic! :) I also love your flourishes that you have created as part of the base...so beautifully done. The texture of the crackle and the raised flourishes is really cool. I also love the random stamping of different images in brown and the sweet flowers and embossed hearts you've added to embellish. Love Tim's sentiment, too! I also wanted to thank you for the kind comments you've left on my blog. I always look forward to your "take" on my work. Thank you so much and thanks for sharing your always beautiful art and the steps you take to create it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous project Alison, love the swirls and the crackled background. The hearts and flowers are fabulous and the sentiment is one of my favourites ! Sue C x

Thanks for joining us at FSC too !

May said...

Stunning work Alison, Fabulous crackled/stamped background, Love the texture & wonderful design..the sentiment is just Beautiful.. Hugs May x x x

junemac2 said...

WOW WOW WOW !! I am loving your art so much that i just added myself to follow. Beautiful, incredibly soft and shabby, love it
hugs June xxx

Janny Jager said...

Great and beautiful tag Alison.
Very nice details and colors.
Greetings Janny

Paper Profusion said...

I want a cappuccino now! This is divine Alison - love all the elements in your beautiful signature style. Nicola x

Kelly said...

I love that you explained the process to us as I love this tag. The textures that you have made flow perfectly as well as the gorgeous stamps. I love the crackle with the twigs and weeds. You are so good at this!
Hugs Kelly

Anonymous said...

Perfectly shabby and chic - gorgeous colours palette and lovely to see the CI Swirl in use (it is such a favourite of mine).
Your home must be brimming with delights such as this.
Wishes
Lynne
P.S. Thank you for another shout out :)

Martina said...

Truly stunning, dear Alison - love the effects you have created. Gorgeous tag!

Bonnie Irvine said...

You do Shabby Chic so beautifully. Love the texture of this ticket hanging with the different size cracks and the embossing. The stamping is so delicate and continues the aged look wonderfully. The hearts, the flowers, the handmade paper...amazing details. Well done, Alison!

toni said...

Gorgeous,gorgeous, gorgeous! Love the textures and layers, there are always beautiful things happening over here Alison x

Ozawa said...

Very beautiful!

Hettie said...

Tres Chic my Friend! This is wonderful and I think one of my favourites recently. Gorgeous Honey.
xx

Sue said...

Beautiful hanging Alison, I love your graduated colours and the different effects you have with the crackle xx

Dorthe said...

Alison, again a wonderful tag, filled with gorgeous experiences and beauty of many kinds.The hearts and flourish, the stamped texts and crackles , the favorite colours of mine ,a most beautiful art piece, dear.
xo,Dorthe

Chris said...

So beautifully shabby chic Alison and I love the giant ticket shape! I agree about the flourish, it's so pretty and shabby chic. Chris x

Maelchen said...

Desr Alison, thanks for visiting me so often! I just found your beautiful tag and certainly went through all the detailed instructions. I love the creamy colours and shabby crackles. The stamped wording is just at the right places and the whole tag is full of harmony! Thanks for sharing! Have a nice week! Manu

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Totally perfectly Shabby Chic! Love the neautrals and whites and that sentiment always makes me happy! Your roses and hanging are fabulous, and the background stamping is gorgeous! Thanks for playing in our shabby challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

Sophie said...

Guten Morgen, Alison...
Wunderbare Arbeiten zeigst du hier wieder.
Du inspirierst mich jedesmal, wenn ich deinen schönen Blog besuche.
Und ich bin platt und total überrascht, das du auch so gut Deutsch kannst.
Super, dann verstehst du ja, was ich jedesmal kommentiere und brauchst es nicht zu übersetzen.

Was für tolle Überraschungen es doch immer wieder im Leben gibt :-)

Umarmung von Sophie xx

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

So cool, the way you made the entire tag a ticket! The texture paste flourish is gorgeous, especially with the VP sponged over it. Lovely color palette too!

Hugs,
Linda

Terry said...

Alison, such a gorgeous tag! Love the hearts and flowers and again all the medium layers! Have a fabulous week!

Bärbel said...

Ein großartiges Projekt, Alison! Ich liebe den krakelierten Hintergrund und die wunderschöne Gestaltung, es ist so ein toller Hänger.
Liebe Grüße, Bärbel

Cathy L. Calamas said...

So lovely, just love that brown and white together. I always appreciate your beautiful detailed photos.
Inspired yet again.

Kasia said...

Beautiful! Love the background!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful! Love the way you made the background for this- everything just sits so nicely on it too! Chrisx

Anke said...

Wonderful Alison, so lovely.

Mrs.B said...

This is so gorgeous just love the soft white with all that distressing and stamping, gives a beautiful shabby/chic look.
Avril xx

Inkypinkycraft said...

another wonder from the colours to the layers to the textures just gorgeous
thanks for joining us at our first challenge at country view crafts of anything goes. hugs trace x

Lisa Minckler said...

Freaking LOVE this!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely shabby chic artwork!!
so much details...gorgeous!!!

LG siljan

Sue from Oregon said...

Thanks for joining our March challenge at Inspiration Emporium!

Such a pretty vintage look to your creation-love the creams and browns together!

♥ Sue Kment

Lisa H said...

Beautiful! I love all the texture you put into it. Thanks for joining in our march challenge at Inspiration Journal. =)

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous, just beautiful! Thanks for entering it in our first challenge at Country View Challenges. Chris xxx