I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 10 March 2013

Let me count the ways...

Hello, and greetings from the Czech Republic, where all this crazy craftiness really began a bare 10 months ago!

Thank you all so much for your kind wishes for my Czech adventures.  I will do my best to keep you in the picture as we prepare the dollshouses for the museum opening - but the best place to keep up to date will be my mother's own blog about the journey which you can find here.

If you'd like to get some idea of the scale of the task ahead of us, check out this post.  I hope you'll forgive me for giving her blog a plug... it is Mothering Sunday, after all: it's the least I can do!




We've arrived just in time for me to share a quick tag card with you - it was just a little experiment to play with some of the new Distress colours I got myself at Stamperama.


Don't adjust your sets, this really is Words and Pictures, and yes... it's orange!!






It was also a chance to try out the Tim Holtz Fairytale Frenzy stamps which had been on my wishlist almost since I started crafting, and which I finally got at a price I could bear on ebay just before leaving the UK.


But it's appropriate to share it today, as I've just given it to my mother as her Mother's Day card (the UK version falls today), and it's even more urgent that I share it now, as I'd like to pop it into the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge By the Numbers.




The quote is from a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and it was my first thought when I saw the SSSaS challenge - words, pictures and numbers combined!  Some of you may know it better, of course, in the version written by Roger Rabbit...


And, like Roger, I've created my own variation too; so you start with the first half line on the cover, then undo the little paper raffia bows...












... to find the second half line on in the centre of the card...


... and finally my own little addition right on the back of the card (all stamped with the wonderful Hero Arts alphabet).






I played with two different TH techniques on the tag using the same colours: Spiced Marmalade, Worn Lipstick (not really showing much except in warming the other colours), Fired Brick.

On one side, now the outside, I did some wrinkle-free distress and on the other, now the inside, I blended them on and then spritzed and flicked.








I'm completely in love with the stamps, as I knew I would be.  Fabulous mad melting butterfly...














... gorgeous drooping vine, with its wonderful heart-shaped ivy leaves...











... and the fabulous grungy numbers... you can count on seeing lots more of all of these!!










All the stamping is done in Black Archival, and I did lots of doodling with the Inkssentials gel pen, just having fun.  


For the numbers on the back, I again took a leaf out of Tim Holtz's book, and brushed the ink onto the stamp rather than tapping it, so that you get a fainter image - a sort of "repeat to fade" effect to go with the "I'm still going"... the counting will be never-ending.







And, whilst we're on counting, I can't leave you without a little taster of my favourite Count of all, so along with today's words - the full Elizabeth Barrett Browning - you also get this little treat... it's even got Mother's Day flowers included!

Sonnet XLIII
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

I'm entering this in the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge By the Numbers

50 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Alison, I love what you have created with Tims stamps and in my fav colours as well.
Love
Amanda x

Rita said...

Hello Alison, Great that you've arrived at your destination safe and sound. Beautiful card and I'm off over to your Mum's blog as I love doll's houses too among my other vices, sorry I should have said addictions. xx Hugs Rita xx

Sandy said...

Hey Alison - I know you are working your fanny off but how exciting!! I have not been around for a while because I like to read everything you write. Time is a precious thing and I am having a hard time keeping up with time - wish I had more time to keep time. Now does that make timely sense? Lovely Mothering Day card - wow it is orange. I love to read how you go about so much of what you do and by the way - those melting butterflies are outstanding.
Sandy

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fantastic project, love the colors.

Fliss said...

Fabulous! What gorgeous colours and an amazing background.
Love that poem too.
Hugs, Fliss xx

Annie said...

Best wishes to you all with the opening of the museum.

Lots of work but worth it x

Fabulous card. Stunning colours and stamping.

Take care

Annie x

Candy C said...

Alison...I really like your tag card. The color is so rich and pretty! Love the butterflies and the stamping, too. Those Tim Holtz numbers on the interior are perfect for your card's theme! Thanks for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Gorgeous bright orange card!! Good luck with the exhibition :) xxxx

Helen said...

Who knew you could embrace orange - and I've only followed you a little while, lol! Beautiful card, (love how you've used that stamp, just love it) Off to read your mum's blog now.

Cestina said...

I love my card (even though it's orange ;-))

Thank you.....

And thanks for the blog headsup too - there will be a new post there shortly, once we get unpacked!

maj. said...

Just gorgeous, Alison!!!

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison,
good to hear you arrived safe, and wonderful to see your bright orange tag card.
The stamps are truly fantasticand you made a gorgeous mic of colours.
I will visit your mothers blog, to read about the dollshouses exebition.
xo,Dorthe

Sarah said...

Orange is such a fun color and it looks like you had a lot of fun creating this tag card. Love the added doodles.

House of Bears said...

Your tag is lovely, and you've used one our Wilbear's favourite poems. Hope you have fun with helping your mum with the dolls houses, we can't wait to see how you get along with the museum opening. Good luck.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Alison, have you really only been on this journey for 10 months, wow. Love your tag the orange is yummy combined with the fabulous images. Love the pop of white and those numbers are perfect. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stampand Show Challenge. Tracy x

pearshapedcrafting said...

That is very orange but also very beautiful! Good Luck with everything - looks as though you are going to be busy! Hope you can keep warm! Chrisx

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow great use of those Tim stamps! They kind of really suit that orange colour and the white doodling livens it all up just beautifully, great card!

ria gall said...

great to hear you have arrived safe and sound here is hopping that you get settled as soon as is possible.
A great card and a really great lot of stamping the colour is stunning
Ria

Julia S-W said...

I've always loved that piece by Elizeth Browning. Beautiful.
Your tag card is gorgeously bright and the stamps are on my wish list too but I've yet to find them at a good price. Love all the Tim techniques too. Looking forward to seeing more of the dolls house museum news.
Juliaxx

Pia said...

wow Alison what a stunning tag, lovely colours
hugs Pia

Sandra said...

stunning tag card! Love the orangy red color! And what a great touch to doodle with a white pen to give it some highlights. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

Jenny Marples said...

Adore this!!!! Love the colours and you have made those stamps work their magic beautifully. Wishing you all the success in the world with getting things ready at the museum. I'm sure with such an amazing mother and daughter team at the helm it can't help but succeed. Hugs to you and your mum, Jenny x

Debi said...

going to find out what you're up to next ;) great creation LOVE the orange and the gel pen, Debi x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

I had to look twicew Alison...is it Alison who has used these colours??? And yes she did...and I love the result...great colours and stamping!

kind regards, Alie :-)

Bonnie Irvine said...

Look at you playing with bright colours. Love it!This is a gorgeous card. The background is outstanding and the stamping with your doodling is wonderful. The melty butterfly is my fave. Perfect sentiment for a Mother's Day card...wish her a happy one for me.

mark gould said...

Im loving the stamping and the bright orange. great new buys x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Yay orange! It must be for someone special for you to do it...lol! Great images and numbers too, glad you were able to get them! Good luck with the show, and Happy Mommy's Day to your Mum! We've got your number this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show. Thanks for playing with us!

trisha too said...

Very fine, Alison--and I will be delighted to go visit your mother!

:)

Chrissy said...

Fabulous tag card Alison, and I love the deep oranges...gorgeous.Fabulous new stamps,the vine is wonderful love all the details and design..

luv CHRISSYxx

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful! Love the happy colors with the white highlights! Thanks for playing at Simon Says Stamp and SHow!

Brenda Brown said...

You really put those colours and stamps to good use and made them work for you. A beautiful tag card and lovely post to read.
Have fun.
hugs {brenda} x0x

chrissie said...

Can't wait to hear more about this adventure-love the little dolls at the link.

Always thought this poem was magic so I was pleased to be able to read it when I got up today.

Your tag card is wonderful and it was strange to see orange when I entered Words and Pictures. A good strange though.

Love Chrissie xx

Redanne said...

Alison and orange! I would never have put you together but what amazing results.... Your tag is stunning, love that set of stamps too (but alas..) and how you have used them. Your Mum must have been thrilled. Best wishes to you both, you have a hill in front of you but the end result will be amazing, I am sure. Hugs, Anne x

Laurart said...

WOW!!!! I was quite surprised when you picked up those colours but I was thinking "YAY"! and I am so glad to see that you have used them so brilliantly. Lots of love from Laura xxxxxxxx

Andrea Small said...

WOW! Gorgeous colour and lovely design :-)
Thanks for the Count - I had not seen him before but he has shot to the top of my list of favourite evil-seeming-puppets-getting-enjoyment-from-unexpected-activities
Andrea x

May said...

Fabulous colours Alison...Gorgeous stamping Love the detail!! Simply beautiful tag... Good luck with all I hope your Mum enjoyed Sunday!! Hugs May x x x

craftytrog said...

It's gorgeous Alison! Bet your mum loved it! The colours are beautiful! xx

Hettie said...

Oh My Goodness! I thought I had clicked on the wrong blog then!! Tee Hee!
I am liking the colour change - but I do love orange!
Love the images and the size of the tag. Want these!
Say Dobry den to Czech from me. I am missing it right now!
Hugs to you and your Mum.
xx

Unknown said...

Hi Alison, remember me? lol Seriously sorry for being a ghost here lately. My dad's health is poor and spending a lot of time with him right now. I miss my visits here but I'm excited to learn you are back in CR because I know you love it there. :)
Your project for your mom is fabulous and I love the bold orange color. :) Tim's stamps never looked so good and hope she had a wonderful day. Take care!

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Oh wooow! I did have to double check if I landed onto the correct blog lol :). Gorgeous make Alison! I love the richness of the colour and the white highlights. I love it!!! Hugs xxx

Nan G said...

Spiced Marmalade, Worn Lipstick, Fired Brick! Is this butterfly?! Wow oh wow! I love the tag! Nice to see you stretch outside your comfort colors. All the best with the exhibit! Hugs

Terry said...

Well I am a fan of orange and rust colors and tag card is gorgeous! Love the white highlights and splatters! Congratulations and enjoy the exhibit, which I know will be amazing! Hugs and off to check out your mom's blog!

Anonymous said...

HI Alison
Glad you have arrived, safe and sound.
What an amazing blast of colour. The white highlights I adore and I am a huge fan of splatters.
Wishes
Lynne

Shelby said...

What a cool idea! I love how you've done the butterflies and the bold orange looks amazing. Good luck with the daunting task ahead of the both of you, but I'm sure it'll all be worth it

Shelby

ionabunny said...

Love that orange. Very hot. A beautiful tag and spot on with the theme

Dianne said...

Oh Alison I looooove the color,all that spritzing and flicking awesome, I can't believe you have only been doing this for 8 months, well girly you were born to do this I'm sure you inspire 100s of other thanks and have a great day..

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is stunning. Love the orange. Off to look at your Mum's blog but have tears in my eyes now. I love this Elizabeth Barrett Browning poem; it is my favourite and I read it at my father in law's funeral. Such beautiful words,

Lucy x

Bärbel said...

Tolle Farben und eine wunderschöne Gestaltung!
Liebe Grüße, Bärbel

Mrs.B said...

Love your stunning colours.
Avril xx

Ana K. said...

Orange in your work…wow it is amazing..you should use it more often :) and I love idea of making tag card.
Hugs