I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Background Noise

Hello, and welcome... it's time for the monthly Artistic Outpost bloghop, and this month our theme is Backgrounds, Typography or Sentiments - lots of possibilities for words, words, words, so right up my alley, and I think I've pretty much covered all the bases!

There are great projects from the whole team, so you're welcome to just give this a quick look, so that you've time to go and have a look at what everyone else has been up to!  Here's the full hop list; click on any name to visit that crafter:






I seem to be in an ATC mood at the moment, as you'll know if you saw my little book of inspiration earlier in the week and, entirely without intending to, that's where I ended up with this project: an ATC-sized accordion booklet, full of Artistic Outpost's fabulous sentiment and background stamps.

Here's the front cover...















...and here's what it opens up to...






...one way you get to see lots of sentiment pages...














...the other way you get to see lots of backgrounds!

There are some close-ups of some of the pages later on, so if you want to scroll past the "how-to" stuff to save time, feel free!







It all started with my first experiments with a Gelli plate - courtesy of my eclectic Paperie DT duties... I'm so grateful to have the chance to play as I've seen lots of amazing work out there using them.  But as I was trying stuff out, I realised that backgrounds were emerging which would be perfect to include for this Backgrounds theme.

Obviously I started with colours well within my comfort zone - lots of turquoises and blues.



One sheet - which was basically a mistake; not enough paint applied I suspect - gave me a delicious delicate mottled effect.














I stamped some of the delicious printblock alphabet from Secretary Pool, stamped in a combination of Snowflake and South Pacific Fresco paints... love it already, just on the stamp!











Next, I layered in the music manuscript and ledger page from the Ephemera Backgrounds set stamped in Memento Teal Zeal and Rich Cocoa.  The Gelli plate is a 6x6 one, so I would only be able to get two ATCs out of it, so I had to pick the best places to cut them from.








Another I left as it was, being pretty pleased with the flourish achieved by pressing an embossing folder onto the paint layer before "printing".










Another, where I'd used the Reverse Chicken Wire mask to create some texture - with limited success, but there you go... practice, I hope, will lead toward perfection in the long run - got a simple stamping of the ledger again to add interest.  That's what I used for the back cover in the end.












At this point, I was thinking of making a set of ATCs, with the sentiments embossed onto these backgrounds so that they would show up nice and clearly.




However, the more I looked at the backgrounds I'd created, as I was mounting them on chipboard, the less willing I was to cover them up!




So I decided to create the accordion book, giving separate pages for the sentiments - all from the Typography set - so that both they and the backgrounds would get to shine.



The sentiments are stamped in Coffee Archival on plain white paper, and then inked to tone in with the backgrounds... while the backgrounds got a little edging of Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs to match right back.



Of course I also had all my leftover bits of background, so I gathered them up and started to create little flowers using the Tattered Flower Garland decorative strip die.








And inspired by the thrifty and beautiful work created by the lovely Chris at Pearshapedcrafting, I also decided to cut some flowers using the waste paper towel from all the Gelli plate mopping up I'd been doing.  She can work wonders with leftover scraps or a piece of inky or painty paper towel!




So that's layered into my little flowers too, and that meant there were enough to add one to each sentiment page as well as to create little arrangements on both the front and back covers.



I painted the bookplate on the front cover with Broken China and Picket Fence distress paints (they're so cool on metal!), and threaded the whole thing together using seam binding.










See - if I'd planned the accordion in advance, I could have stuck the seam binding behind the papers, but when you make it up as you go along, you have to put up with some compromises.  

And to be honest, I'm okay with having pretty white ribbon threaded through the project!






Thanks so much for stopping by today.  It's a source of continual amazement and delight to me that this crafty community is so dedicated and so generous.   Thank you for all the visits and support, and for the inspiration I get when I visit you.  Happy hopping - oh, and should you get lost en route, you can find all the details here!

Since they're also focussing on the words this month, I'd like to enter this in the Rogue Redhead Designs challenge Sentimental Focus.


Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.
Rudyard Kipling

56 comments:

Chrissy said...

Such a cute ATC book Alison, loved the technique and like the binding on the outside of the papers, gorgeous cover, and love the blues and turquoise..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Kjersti said...

A beautiful book Alison, love the colours and the "how to" stuff:) Wish I was half as creative as you are - so beautiful paperworks on your blog!
Have a nice Thursday!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Amanda said...

Hi Alison, what a fab little book, isn't the gelli plate fun? I actually like seeing the ribbon running through the book I think it adds further interest and texture.
Love
Amanda x

Jenny Marples said...

Love your first experimentation with Gelli. Great layering of images which build to create fabulous backgrounds - no wonder you didn't want to cover them up. Hugs, Jenny x

Claudia N. said...

Haha, Alison,

so you actually made frontside-backs for the background fronts! :))

Love your ATC booklet and your Alison-Colours! I totally understand why you were not able to cover up these awesome background images! Perfect choice to use them like that!!!!


Hugs,
Claudia xx

chrissie said...

Terrific work on this book. I never thought to make an ATCs size book and now I want to make one after seeing this.

A great way to fasten them together--I will need to study that more carefully.

Love Chrissie xx

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Gorgeous ATC book Alison! Love your turquoise makes! Xx

Helen said...

Gosh, what a beautiful book - I really love it. One day I will have a go at making a book, it looks so much fun.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wonderful accordion Alison, so much wonderful detail. I love your background, sometimes happy accidents are the best. I love how you used the alphabet background from the Secretary Pool plate. Of course this is one of my favourite colour palettes too. Love it. Tracy x x

crealinedance said...

Hello Mooie model kaart.Gr.Nel

Paper Profusion said...

Beautiful work Alison - all those pages look fabulous. Nicola x

Suzanne C said...

Brilliant ATC book! Love how you have woven the ribbon through and all the different technique! Beautiful details on each page!

Astrid Maclean said...

Great looking pages, some of the backgrounds look fantastic!

Lisa Somerville said...

Such a fabulous way to showcase the bacgrounds and sentiments! Wonderful details to your ATC Accordian book!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

You are the background queen, Alison! And what a wonderful display of backgrounds you have here with your ATC booklet. I love the way you have included inspirational quotes too. A perfect little gem!

Hugs,
Linda

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous experiments and outcome. Love it.
x0x

Sarah said...

A fun and pretty way to show off your background experiments and techniques.

Terry said...

Stunning ATC booklet! I love the blues and all those words of wisdom! Beautiful design elements as well! Hugs!

Sandy said...

You are so creative and everything you do is lovely Alison. One day I will be able to try out some of your ideas. Right now I am busy playing the farmer's wife with our new little goats. Instead of Flip and Flop, I should have named them Poop and Machine. Love your work Alison!
Sandy

Silvia(Barnie) said...

I'm back again and now I'm catching up... you've been very creative the last few days, wonderful pieces to see. So many fantastic details - just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Ich fall um...Schnappatmung! Ne, what a beautiful ATC book!! Love the colours and all the details!
Wann machst du das alles??? Wahnsinn! Your day must have more hours than mine.

LG siljan

Keren Tamir said...

Another fantastic project!! Love it Alison

Netty said...

Loving your beautiful ATC book, great colours and full of wonderful sentiments. Hope all is going well with you. Hugs Annette x

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Alison ! Love your project, absolutely gorgeous ! Sue C x

Debi said...

Stunning!!!!!! love the texture :) Debi x

Dorthe said...

A wonderful book Alison, the backgrrounds stamped with the lovely sentiments looks fantastic, and I love the front with your flowers, and book plate- also the seambinding to hold it together!
xo,Dorthe

Janny Jager said...

Beautiful book Alison.
Great text ,stamps.details and colors.
Greetings Janny

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, I loved your backgrounds before but this has taken even yours to another level - stunning work. You are such a wonderful inspiration! Hugs, Anne x

Dianne said...

Wow I love how you post it's like looking inside a very exciting book, love all the pics, this is another GORGEOUS project, your the BOMB every time. I used to use a small window pane, roll the paint on, but I nver tried it with stamps, stencils, looks gorgeous. I'll have to try, there you go inspiring me again:):) have a fen day Dear Miss Alison..

Sue said...

Beautiful book Alison, I love how you have bound it, and the Secretary Pool plate is one of my favourites xx

Anonymous said...

I continue to toy with the idea of purchasing a Gelli Plate but have to say I see so many wonderful examples (Alison, Marjie and Patty come to mind) and now yourself.
Gorgeous backgrounds and I can fully understand why you didn't want to cover them up too much.
A beautiful idea for a book.
Wishes
Lynne

Priscilla said...

This is gorgeous! I bought a gelli and have been trying to think of what to do with all the prints. It is very addicting! Yours are absolutely beautiful!

Nan G said...

Gorgeous! Live the sentiments and your first go at gelli plating has turned out awesome!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Gelli fin, love it. Colors and pages are amazing. what a beautiful project!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful Alison! Love those backgrounds - just right for a little book of quotes! Thanks for the mention, your flowers look amazing -obviously a case of "It ain't what you you do - it's the way that you do it!" We are home at the moment with a constant internet connection -soo much easier to comment!! Chrisxx

Connie Fossenier said...

Alison, I love this little book and lover of ATC's...very creative and wonderful use of color hues..
connie paxman

Shelly Schmidt said...

Beautiful ATC booklet- LOVE the experimentation- love the visuals as your project progressed! Love, Love, Love it!

suzieq23 said...

I just love love love your little ATC book! I have all the elements I need to make one myself and will use your instructions and inspiration. Really special!

suzieq23 said...

p.s. my fave colors too!

Inkypinkycraft said...

Thisis beautiful, great backgrounds, super colours and as always fab details...have a piece inspired by your corrugated card on my log..lack your photography skills though!!! I lve this little atc bood just great hugs trace x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Awesome book! Love each page! Great cover page too!

Kate Yetter said...

Lovely little book, Alison. The patinaed ornate plate is fabulous with your gorgeous backgrounds. So pastel with that vintage edge. The whole book is stunning!
Kate

mitz said...

..oh my gosh.. the time & work that went into this.. one word: Amazing..

Baroque duJour said...

OMG that is a beautiful piece, very fruitful playing, love all the backgrounds, added to the wonderful inspiration, simply stunning. thanks for sharing, us less experienced really appreciate and learn from the kindness out there.

Julia S-W said...

I have considered a Gelli plate but have yet to take the plunge - this beautiful project nudges me ever closer to that purchase!
I'm so glad you didn't cover up those wonderful backgrounds - I always feel very reluctant when I'm doing that! This would make a wonderful gift Alison - beautiful.
Juliaxx

Minxy said...

Delightful make, I am totally in love with that printblock stamp...dame u for making me want it lol

Chris said...

It's gorgeous Alison, I love little books and yours is superb, such gorgeous colours too. Chris x

Martina said...

Exquisitely crafted ! So beautiful.

Hettie said...

I LOVE this Alison. The colours, the look, the words are all sooo wonderful.
Fabulous inspirational stamps there.
Now I REALLY want a Gelli plate!
Hugs
xx

Neet said...

I am such a huge fan of your work, you are up there with the top folks! Love the colours you have used, the backgrounds are simply beautiful and the whole piece comes together so wonderfully.
Thank you - Hugs, neet xx

Margaret said...

Another gorgeous book! I can see why you didn't want to cover up the beautiful backgrounds! Paper towel flowers?! Brilliant and sooo pretty!

Margaret said...

Another gorgeous book! I can see why you didn't want to cover up the beautiful backgrounds! Paper towel flowers?! Brilliant and sooo pretty!

Kezzy said...

Wow gorgeous ATC booklet. The Gelli plate backgrounds look awesome. My Gelli plate came yesterday, but I'm at the stage of doesn't it look nice in the packaging lol. Hugs :-) Kezzy xxx

Lucy Edmondson said...

Gorgeous! Love how you painted the book plate,

Lucy x

Vicki said...

Simply stunning piece of artwork! Beautiful details and sentiments. Thanks for another fab entry in our Rogue Redhead Sentiment Challenge.

Anonymous said...

Breathtaking project! Lovely and very creative! Thanks for playing the Sentimental Focus Rebel Challenge on RRD!