I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 30 August 2012

It's not easy being green...

Well... it's not that hard either - it's just a song I love (Kermit used to sing it on The Muppets, you can listen here), and I fancied it for my title - you'll soon see why!

Welcome (back) everyone - so happy you decided to drop in... it's always great to have company on the journey.  Since I'm 'fashionably late' for both the challenges today's piece was inspired by (though thankfully I haven't missed the party altogether), I'm going to dive right in.


I can't tell you much about the making of this tag ('phew', I hear you all cry), as it's for the Studio L3 challenge, hosted by Linda Ledbetter, to carry out the techniques in Tim Holtz's Compendium of Curiosities II.  So if you'd like to know more, you'll need to check out page 41 of the book or - as a special treat this week - you can watch the man him self in action (LOVE the opening credits - the music has become a really happy tune for me as I know I'm going to enjoy what follows!):


So now the cat's out of the bag about how it's done, here are a couple of shots of the early stages of the tag.  I knew I wanted butterflies, so once I'd started I just layered butterflies and butterflies and butterflies!  





I love resist... so I love this technique!


The other challenge I really wanted to make time for this week was Our Creative Corner's lovely Recycle with a Pop of Green affair.  Well, as you can see, I've got the green covered already, so now the recycling...

If you visited me on WOYWW this week, you'll have seen the bread wrapper on my workdesk, awaiting a new life in a crafty project - well, the reincarnation has taken place!  Thank you Morrisons supermarket for selling your bread in wax paper...  and it gets splendidly rumpled and creased as you make your way through the loaf, wrapping and unwrapping it!


I had various plans for it, and just had to find the time to make the piece they would be right for.  And here it is as my lovely dimensional butterflies. 

I haven't got a butterfly punch or individual die, so I used the Tim Holtz On the Edge Butterflight die, which meant doing some topping and tailing to get whole butterflies.



 




They're stamped with the little Prima Almanac wallpaper stamp in Staz-On black ink, and heat set. Then the two layers are stuck together with Glossy Accents, which is also what I used to attach them to the tag.




 





I'm so pleased with the effect, as the wax paper is so light, it has a really delicate translucence and flutters in the slightest draught so that my flight of butterflies really dances with dimensionality.



 


Once I started assembling the whole thing (it's mounted on thick chipboard, so that it's nice and sturdy), I found it all a bit too polished, so before sticking anything down I wellied in with a coarse-grain sandpaper emery board at the edges. 

I loved the worn wallpaper look that I got, so took it onto the main surface of the tag in places too.





(The quote is one I've always loved... so was easy enough to decide on!)





The rough hewn, shabby look was just right for what I had planned at the top of the tag, and for the ribbons and twine I was starting to gather around the tag on my workdesk, seeing which wanted to really be there.

I had a leftover kraft tag that I'd tried a new woodgrain stamp on (new three months ago, when I experimented).  It was far too large, so I cut it down, and then ripped the bottom edge, and gave it a going over with the Paper Distresser on the other edges.  

To this I added a butterfly I cut from the trimmings of the Kraft Resist paper.  He also got a little sanded at the edges.  And lastly I stuck on a mini botanical label from the 7 Gypsies Conservatory set.  

Again, this was something I'd made ages ago, when I got hold of some Glossy Accents for the first time (in, I think, late March-ish?) and was just seeing what it would do!  It's been sitting in a little box since then - time to come out and play!

 






The delicious ribbon at the top is from the Funkie Junkie Boutique, as is the twiny mesh ribbon from which I made the fringe at the bottom of the tag.  

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the finished tag - especially as I didn't think I was going to make the deadlines for these challenges!  I really had fun creating it - greens and blues are so soothing to work with... I hope you've enjoyed it too.  It's always great to hear what you think, and I always try to pay a return visit if I know you've stopped by.




I'm entering this in:
Studio L3's Compendium of Curiosities Challenge 19, Kraft Resist
Our Creative Corner's lovely challenge, Recycle it with a Pop of Green - recycled bread wrapper
Addicted to Stamps challenge called Etwas Recyclen - in other words, Recycle Something
Hels Sheridan's lovely Sunday Stampers challenge, which is to use Green at Ink on My Fingers
Paper and Such are playing a challenge this week called Wings N Things
Simon Says Stamp are on an Anything Goes challenge
Out of a Hat Creations would like us to use our Favourite Technique or Product... well it's probably no secret that I would be lost without Distress Inks, and at the moment, I'm fairly obsessed with resists of one sort or another - but my absolutely favourite thing is Distressing or ageing things for that lived in look... and there's plenty of that going on here!
Oh, and I almost forgot - I wanted to enter it for Frilly and Funkie's gorgeous Resist challenge too!

Butterflies are self-propelled flowers.
Robert Heinlein

I only ask to be free.  The butterflies are free.
Charles Dickens

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.
Anonymous

42 comments:

Carol Q said...

beautiful tag. love the shabby look and the colours that you've used. think I'll have to buy my bread from Morrison's from now on!

Brenda Brown said...

Fab, fab, fab effects and gorgeous butterflies. Love the wax paper ones, a brilliant design.
hugs {brenda} xox

Inkypinkycraft said...

A really beautiful piece, lovethe soft colours and great details as always! Trace x

Sue uk said...

Love the tag, colours and especially the butterflies. I must source some bread wrappers!

Janny Jager said...

Beautiful tag and i love the butterflys you made.

Greetings Janny

Lucy said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Alison. His vid was great, wasn't it? Are you nicely settled back in the UK now? Are you near me??

Lucy x

Jenny Marples said...

Fab mix of techniques to create a beautiful tag with one of my fav. animals - butterflies! Great choice of colours too. Hugs, Buttons x

Barbara said...

This project is incredibly beautiful. I love the colors and love the waxed paper butterflies, but more than anything, I love the overall feel of the tag. Wow!

alison said...

Gorgeous tag Alison! Love your butterflies, great recycling! x

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous colours Alison, the butterfly texture looks so pretty, now I have to go screw up all my wax paper in the lunch drawer and make butterflies..the sanding did wonders for the edges, I like that, and love the verse..beautiful work.

luv CHRISSYxx

Deborah said...

Beautiful tag - and I love your bread wrapper butterflies (very cool).

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

So many great and creative parts to see Alison! The butterfly is amazing, but the colors too...the text is touching...als well as this creation.
Good luck with the challenges!

greetings, Alie :-)

Victoria said...

Beautiful green and blue combination and the delicate butterflies are gorgeous. A truly lovely sentiment too.

penny4thoughts said...

Beautiful tag and those butterflies are fantastic!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Well I am pleased you managed to make our deadline, as this is one gorgeous Tag. The technique is easy when you know how, I do not understand all the secrecy when Tim videos everything anyway. You have delighted us with a subtle and interesting Bg, with delicate butterflies that create the movement, your extra elements add texture, it is gorgeous.
Thank you so much for joining us this week at OCC, we are thrilled to see your work.
Smiles:)
Sue

Sarah said...

Turning bread wrappers into butterflies...that's why I enjoy your blog! Always something interesting to absorb.

Kylie said...

Oh wow, just stunning. I am in awe xx

Unknown said...

Hi Alison,
I love this green {wink} tag and the curious nature of it. You certainly do not shy away from art but rather run to it. That is what keeps me coming back to your blog. I love the layers you've built here and the sentiment is perfect. The recycled element is always a fave of mine too. TFS!
Off to get Tim's book and start catching up lol.
Hugs,
Lisa

Shelby said...

I love love love how you've done those butterflies. They are so delicate and gorgeous.

Shelby

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tag Alison. Love the wax paper butterflies. Thank you so much for sharing with the Hatters this week. You are going to love next weeks challenge so I hope you will be able to join in again.
Regards Florence x

Lili said...

Beautiful tag Alison. I love Tim Holtz techniques and you've created a stunning background. Those butterflies add a sense of movement to your tag. Great job! Thank up for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner this week!

chrissie said...

Oh what a wonderful tag Alison and thank you for sharing how you made it step by step. Terrific butterflies just finish the whole thing off.

Lovely to have you join in with us at Out of a Hat Creations this week

Love Chrissie xx

Redanne said...

Wonderful, beautiful tag, gorgeous butterflies and my favourite ever quote - love it all. You need more butterflies......! Crafty hugs, Anne x

Hels Sheridan said...

FAB tag, love the use of the bread wrapper.. genius! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

Rita said...

Fabulous Tag Alison. You've made is sound so easy too. My favourites are the Butterflies. I really must try these. TFS. Your Tut is excellent too. Hugs Rita xx

~ Kendra ~ said...

Stunning tag, I love it!! Great details!! Thank you for joining us at Paper and Such!

Janet said...

Fantastic tag Alison,love your butterflies.
Thanks for joining us at Out of a Hat
Janet x

Carol said...

I love your tag and all the butterflies on it. My husband has sorted out my problem uploading photos to my blog. It was a problem with Windows Explorer, so I'm now on Firefox and everything is working OK.

Kjersti said...

A beautiful tag Alison! Thanks for joining in at Addicted to Stamps recycled challenge this week.
Hugs Kjersti:)

Cheryl said...

Wow! Gorgeous tag! Thank you for joining the "Wings & Things" challenge at Paper and Such.

--Cheryl--

Stop by my blog to check out my {Belated} Birthday Blog Candy!

mark gould said...

Oh wow, this is beautiful, I have a bit of that paper and was not sure how to use it, seeing the butterfly's gives me some ideas xx

If the hdh email is not working I think you can right click the link and grab the email addy that way, I will try and mention it as well x

Claudia N. said...

So, so beautiful, Alison!

It made my heart fly with those lovely butterflies! Every tiny detail is so utterly gorgeous and cleverly made and positioned! Stunning!

Hugs,

die amelie xx

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Just beautiful resist work on this piece, Alison! Love to see that kraft color coming through. And I am drooling over your wax paper bread wrapper. - your butterflies look amazing! Really lovely tag and I spy some FJ goodies there to - woohoo!

Thanks so much for sharing with us this week at Our Creative Corner.

Hugs,
Linda

Stephanie said...

This is just gorgeous!!! Love the colors and the tutorial! Thanks so much for joining us at Paper and Such for this week's challenge!

Sandra's Spot said...

Hi Alison, Gorgeous tag I love the colours and butterflies. Thanks so nuch for sharing with us at Out of A Hat. Hugs Sandra XXX

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Alison, it's soooo beautiful! Love what you've done with the butterflies, both flat and fluffy. The colors are so yummy, too. A total charmer. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie!

Lauren T said...

Wow, what a stunning tag! I really love all the different butterflies, that resist techniue looks amazing.

I would love to invite you to join us at The Lollipop Ladies if you are looking for a new challenge blog - http://thelollipopladies.blogspot.com.au/

Teresa said...

Oh WOW! This is a superb tag, beautifully made, thank you for joining us at Addicted to Stamps challenge. Teresa x

Von said...

That's one delicious tag :)
Von x☺x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I'm losing my mind...I would have bet the farm I already commented on this! UGH!
Gorgeous! Love the green and resist, and love those fluttery friends! Thank you so much for playing along with us this fortnight at Frilly & Funkie!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Butterfly! I just adore how you have recycled the waxed paper on your project. Your butterflies look so so beautiful against the amazing background on your tag, and it definately gives me that sense of recycling, repurposing, re-using. You are one talented tag maker. LOVE this.

Marcea said...

Beautiful creation. Thankyou for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog. Make sure you check our brand new challenge later today for a very special post.
-x-