I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 19 April 2017

Drip, drip, drop, little Oxide showers...

Hello all!  Just dropping in with some more Oxide backgrounds.  They'll turn into tags soon, but I loved these so much that I thought I'd give them a little airing of their own before they get covered up.


I only took watercolours with me on my recent trip to the Czech Republic, as I knew most of my time would be taken up with doll-making (I'm in the process of writing the post, so you'll see them very soon), so I couldn't resist having just a little play with the Oxides as soon as I got home.


Again, I've been mixing them with regular Distress Inks - this, so far, is what gets me really excited about Oxide possibilities.







I just love the layers you can achieve.  It really gives oceans of depth to a tag.














I find it hard to cover them up at all, hence my sharing them before I've made any decisions about stamping or embellishing.















With these vivid sunset/sunrise colours, I in fact started with a set of Oxide smears (on the left) and a set of Distress smears (on the right) side by side (not always the exact same colour by name).














So one tag started by being dipped in pure Oxides, and the second tag started its journey with pure Distress.














After that, though, I dipped and dived from one side to the other in turn, spritzing with plenty of water as I went...














... sometimes dabbing away excess ink with paper towel, and sometimes being patient enough to wait until the heat tool had dried it all.














Another thing I'm enjoying about the Oxides is how they're encouraging me to step outside my colour comfort zone; and from my quick visits around Craftyblogland, I don't seem to be the only one experimenting with the rainbow!

There are some other rainbows developing in my crafty life at the moment, but more of that another time...








Having said I'm enjoying the rainbow, reaching for my favourite colours still takes me to my happy place.  For this trio, I started with only two tags, and a mixture of blues and browns (plus Iced Spruce), Distress and Oxide, all on the craft mat together...


I smooshed, spritzed and dried over and over again.  The more you keep going, the more you discover.  It's hard to stop!







Sometimes I added extra Oxides to the mix on the mat...
















... sometimes extra Distress...
















... and often just extra water (either on to the mat or directly on to the tags).
















I love the look of rust seeping through cracks that is here in a couple of places.
















The initial two tags are fairly similar in colour intensity, but I only brought the third tag into play as a mop-up, so that's really got the palest shades.













The inks were well-diluted with water by this point, but still capable of so much funky detailing in the layering, spritzing and drying.











It's incredible how you can keep adding ink and/or water drops to such effect, even a long way down the smooshing road.  (As Tim said in his early demos, pure Distress would have turned to mud by now.)

So yes, I'm still loving the Oxide ride... and I haven't even got as far as blending them on to a surface, let alone stamping with them yet.

So much to try, and so little time at present...













My dollshouse dolls should be up next, so I hope you'll pop back to take a look at my efforts.

Oh, and if you missed my springtime shadowbox project as a guest designer over at Calico Craft Parts, do take a look - I think it captures the season quite nicely.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'll be round for a visit soon, I hope.

In one drop of water are found all the secrets of the oceans.
Kahlil Gibran

At the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge they'd like us to Splash It On, meaning they'd like us to incorporate water.  Even though I haven't had a chance to move beyond the splashing yet, I wanted to share the fun I've been having.

36 comments:

Helen said...

loving the oxides - waiting for my final few to make my full set... love your tags just as they are; I can see why you don't want to hide them!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the tag backgrounds, looks like you've been having fun playing. Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Fantastic backgrounds!Beauties on their own!
oxo Susi

Amanda said...

Aren't they just the most addictive thing? Loving the little piece of intrigue, can't wait to find out what's at the end of your rainbow!
Love
Amanda c

brenda said...

All so pretty Alison, they really are fun and so different to work with aren't they.

Apols I don't get 'out and about' as much as I might like, unfortunately have to listen to my body which is a real bore.

B x

chrissie said...

This medium was made for you Alison and it is easy to see how much you are enjoying it all

Love Chrissie xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Loved seeing the different combinations - still adding to my collection - saving my money for a special trip! look forward to seeing how they develop! Hugs, Chrisx

Gitte said...

It looks great.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thank you for this wonderful post. I just received my set of Oxides and hoping I have a whole day to play with them. This post will help. I love what you have shared. Anxious to see your next post, I so want to visit the Czech Republic. We did all the countries West of there 2 yrs ago. Have a fun week.

Nikki Acton said...

Yep you are doing wonders with the oxides! I am with you - why cover them up! xxx

Nan G said...

Wow wow wow!!! You have achieved the most amazing results using the Oxides than anyone else I've seen in blog land. Way to go Butterfly!

Nan G said...

p.s. I'm posting more on Facebook now. It's easier for me to drop a pic in . Less typing involved. https://www.facebook.com/nan.gustafson

SewPaperPaint said...

I love your wonderful inky tags Alison!

Jackie PN said...

Alison,
Your Oxide/Distress play is just gorgeousness!
I do love the rainbow colors you are using and am now very curious about what other"rainbows" to which you speak!! Do tell more- soon please!
I always look forward to your posts to see what loveliness you have to share- thank you for never disappointing!
Have a beautiful day!
Hugs,Jackie xx

Dorthe said...

It really looks wonderful dear Alison, such gorgeous results, and love the many photos showing your steps -
I`m looking forward to seeing your dolls :-)
xoxo Dorthe

Jennie Atkinson said...

Stunning results Alison! Can't wait to see what you create with them. Jennie

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful results from your play with the oxide and distress inks Alison! The hard part is that you almost can't duplicate them - each go is new and gives a different result! Thanks for sharing your process! Julia xx

sam21ski said...

Addictive aren't they xx

Marci said...

Beautiful! Incredible results. I don't blame you for not wanting to cover up the backgrounds.

Redanne said...

You really did make me smile today Alison, I have created dozens of backgrounds with the Oxides and cannot bring myself to cover them up either! I really, really love the blue backgrounds you created and the odd touch of brown makes them so special! Anne xx

Julia said...

Oh so glad you shared these lovely oxide tags. Aren't they beautiful.
I'm looking forward to seeing those dolls you mentioned too.

Meggymay said...

Looks like a wonderful play day. The oxide colour effects are fabulous.
Yvonne xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Yes that's the big problem with these Oxides backgrounds.....not wanting to cover them up at all!!
Hugs
Donna xx

Diana Taylor said...

Fabulous tags and I know what you mean about not wanting to cover them up - they are so beautiful as they are - but I know whatever you choose to do with them will only enhance the backgrounds rather than hide them! I'm so looking forward to seeing what you do with these. Every time I see your work with Oxides my resolve not to buy any weakens a little more!!

Hazel Agnew said...

The same problem here Alison. Step away from the oxides! I also keep adding. they are so juicy though. Thanks for showing them in their "undressed " state. The oxides are now once again calling to me! HELP!! xx

craftytrog said...

Fabulous effects with the Oxides Alison! I still haven't Succumbed though :-)

Paper Profusion said...

These really do look amazing Alison!! I can imagine you enjoying your playtime with them, I still haven't splurged but know that that spend is inevitable!! Waiting for more time!! Looking forward to seeing more on the dolls and other rainbows in your life! Nicola x

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous tags! I love the Oxides.

Brenda Brown said...

Looks like you've been having great fun with the oxides, I look forward to the next instalments. Have a great weekend xxx

Julie Lee said...

These Oxides really do create amazing results. I still haven't taken the plunge with them, but this post has encouraged me to 'have a go'. The effects you've achieved are so beautiful and look so much fun! I'm looking forward to seeing the dolls too! xx

Etsuko said...

Amazing your these resulted Alison and adore your exploration. Oxide results are various and its accidentality is one of the attractions. I need more experiment.. xx

Emma Williams said...

I love the backgrounds you've created with the Oxides, they just look fantastic and you've achieved such amazing results ~ I'll look forward to seeing what you do with them next and hope you can bring yourself to cover them up! Emma xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous Oxide backgrounds Alison, they are just te most wondrous inks aren't they? Look forward to seeing them finished in time!

Maureen Chandler said...

Love your tags and I too am having fun with the distress oxides. However, I haven't yet mixed them with regular distress inks - that's next so thanks for the suggestion!!

Cocofolies said...

Fantastic play, and I love your rainbow backgrounds with normal and oxide Distress added, great idea!
I've just bought my first oxide... Must buy more and more I guess :-)
Hugs, xx

Sue said...

Beautiful tags Alison, I can see why you don't want to cover them up. I had my first real play with them yesterday, and from not seeing what the fuss was all about I really like them now! I like the way you had yours lined up side by side, definitely something to try. Have a fun week xx