I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 11 February 2018

No Small Dreams

Hello all!  Apologies for the deafening silence here at Words and Pictures...  I've been settling back in to New York rhythms and the first week of rehearsals so that's been taking almost all my time and energy.  But I'm very happy you've been enjoying my rusty bubbles and springtime tea-sachet-book so much in the meantime!  And soon I'll share some pictures of my temporary craft space and travelling stash (already augmented with some NYC shopping - unfortunately there's a branch of Blicks Art Supplies right around the corner from the rehearsal studios!).

But for now, as promised, I'm here with a few making-of details of some of my samples for my newest quote stamps.  Catch the full launch post here at PaperArtsy.  Since time is at a premium, I'm trying to keep these posts pretty short and sweet, but you know me...

I'm starting in dreamy mode with a pair of tags showcasing words from EAB07 Dreaming & Doing.


I find so much inspiration in this set of words about dreaming big and what happens when you put your dreams into action.








The colour palette for this launch included some of Seth Apter's new paint set 4, so there's an unusual hint of pink which may surprise my regulars, but I was immediately right at home with the beautiful new blues.














And once I'd worked out that the Mulberry and Mushroom could combine with the blues to give me wonderful dawn and dusk skies, I was a very happy crafter!














The tags themselves are really very simple.  I started with a crackle background using the Steel Grey and Venice Blue as my first layer, followed by the PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze, applied in a thin layer with a palette knife.  Over that went some of the delicately pale Glacier Ice.














Next I started sponging on my sky-blue-pinks.  I used a natural sponge - I find you get a much softer effect than with anything artificial - and applied the paints in layers until I was happy... blending and softening with the paler Mushroom and Chalk colours when necessary.













All the stamping is done in Watering Can Archival and then clear-embossed.  (They're all PaperArtsy stamps - the tree is from Urban Snapshots Nature Plate 1 and the grasses are from the new Kay Carley plate EKC17.)













The embossing gives me the light-reflecting dimensionality I love, as well as deepening the intensity of the stamping, thanks to the refracted light.













That makes the images and the words show up with more clarity against the background.













There had to be some splatter, of course... Chalk Fresco paint was also in my palette, and that did the job beautifully.














There you go... I told you I'd be short and sweet - that's about as short as my blogposts get (unless they're sneak peeks).








I hope Gandhi and Goethe (and Gloria below) will inspire you to do some dreaming this week.  I'll try not to be away for so long before the next post, and I may even manage some visiting in Craftyblogland now that I'm slightly settled in.  In the meantime, happy crafting all!

Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all is a form of planning.
Gloria Steinem

34 comments:

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, they are really stunning, I love the embossed effect on the tree, and words- and the cold bluish light coming from behind.
I will love to see your workspace, in NYC and your ,I`m sure, wonderful stash. Happy buying - or flying past the temptations ,lol.
Dorthe, xoxo

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful tags. Have fun in NY, hugs, Valerie

Patty O'Malley said...

Oh, Alison, these tags are so beautiful! I love the sentiments and the touch of pink on each. Fantastic!

Chrissy said...

Beautiful tags Alison..love the background colours and the tree with the spalshes of white and the sentiments are lovely..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Helen said...

wow, Alison, what beautiful tags!! I got these paints today, can't wait to play

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous backgrounds and beautiful stamps
Carol x

Annie said...

Both tags are fabulous Alison x Love the background details and the tree looks wonderful. Your quotes are the perfect addition x

Take care and say hello to NYC and Marjie if you catch up

HUge hugs
Annie x

Julia said...

I love the colours of the paints in Seth's paint set 4, I think I need to get them. Correction, I don't think I need to get them, I know I need to get them! I have that tree stamp and have used it recently. I love your tags, they are dreamy.
Julia x

Meggymay said...

Stunning tags. Your latest word quotes are wonderful additions to the tags.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Fantastic tag. I love the tree image, and nice new quote stamps too. Hugs-Erika

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful tags, just adore the way you created those backgrounds! I need more of your quotes but will have to decide which ones first! Enjoy your time in NY ....and the tempting goodies!! Hugs, Chrisx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Really beautiful Alison, I love how by simply embossing an image it brings life and lets it breathe. Along with your given quotes giving our confidence a gentle hug. Inspiring as always.
Enjoy your time in NY and I look forward to seeing your creative space.
Warmest of wishes Tracey x

craftytrog said...

Beautiful effects with the new paints, and I love your new words Alison!
Enjoy NYC!
Alison xx

Dortesjs said...

whii love those crackles great tag as usual you are so clever ;O))

Astrid Maclean said...

Beautiful soft colours n these dreamy tags Alison! They have a very peaeful and serene feel, quite unlike your life at the moment I expect.
Hope you are having a great time and how lucky to have a Dick's right next door so to speak, I am jealous!!

Neet said...

These are definitely dreamy - so tranquil, they calm me. Love the images and the sentiments but the backgrounds - just so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Neet xx

sarascloset said...

Such peaceful tags, Alison! Those painted tags are the perfect backdrop to your embossed images and quotes! I particularly enjoyed seeing your process shots and learning how you get that amazing depth. Gorgeous! Have a wonderful day! Hugs!

Marci said...

I love your tags, that touch of pink is so surprising but effective. Will enjoy seeing where you craft and live in New York.

suzyb said...

NYC?!?! Have fun. Far to big and busy for me tho', but friends have gone and said it was an experience that they will never forget.
These tags are lovely, you really are the tag queen. I love all of them you have done.
The sentiments you have stamped are lovely, I especially like the one about shaking the world :)
The colour palette is lovely, really reminds me of a crisp winter morning sunrise. Really nicely done Alison.
Enjoy your time in the Big Apple.
Hugs from the west coast of BC.

Redanne said...

Absolutely delicious colour tones on both tags and your beautiful new quotes are perfect for the images. Have a wonderful time in NYC! Anne xx

Craftyfield said...

Gorgeous colours Alison! Must be cold in NY... keep warm! xx

Sue said...

Really beautiful Alison, as always you've managed to get the perfect blend of words and pictures on your tags. I must check out the new Seth Fresco's - did you say pink!! Enjoy New York (stash shopping) xx

Fliss said...

A pair of real beauties here Alison. The subtle background colours are gorgeous and the texture looks wonderful. The stamped images look so lovely with your new quotes too and the dreams one is my favourite.
Hope you have a lovely time in NYC.
Fliss xx

Kate Yetter said...

Wow Alison! You are one busy lady. I don't know how you make time for it all between visiting blogs, designing stamps, design teams and work. When do you actually sleep?
Your tags are beautiful! I love the soft purple and blue in the background. One of my favorite color combinations. And that tree and foliage with the gesso splatters is lovely.
Kate

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

These are absolutely stunning!!! The cool colors make me feel the cold, and your quote stamps are fantastic! I LOVE them. I am putting them on my list to purchase soon. Congrats to you!

SewPaperPaint said...

Glad to hear you're settling in NY. I can't imagine traveling all the time... How exciting and frightening! I'm loving this beautiful pair of tags and can't wait to see what makes your must have list for your NY craft space! Loved that so much last go round. :) Hugs, Autumn

hazel said...

These are such beautiful tags Alison - have fun in New York.
xxx Hazel.

froebelsternchen said...

They are simply wonderful ! Your style is beyond BEAUTIFUL! YOu know it - I am a very big fan of your art Alison! Precious!
oxo Susi

Jackie PN said...

Oh Alison!
These tags are just fabulous! I am sure I say that often, but I mean it sincerely each time- you know what a fan I am!
I just love your new stamps and have saved monies in my account for them! Now patiently waiting to when they will be available!

Glad to hear you are settled in ,in NYC and happy for you there is a Blick's around the corner- woo hoo-lucky you!
sending hugs,Jackie xx

Tindaloo said...

gorgeous tags and wonderful sentiments ♥

Cocofolies said...

Love, love, love these two tags Alison. Just fabulous.
So happy to be able to read your post and the steps of them at last... I know I don't have to apologize, but Im always so sad to be late everywhere and all the time now :(
Hugs, Coco xx

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful dreamy tags , love them both xxx

A Pink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Pink said...

Fabulous tags Alison showcasing your latest stamp release. Congratulations! Love them and my shopping basket felt empty without a couple of them in it. Hope to use them soon x