I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 26 July 2017

Playing the (Neutral) Blues I





Hello all!  I doubt you'll be surprised to find that I've been playing with blues and browns (and greys) a lot since my return.  In fact, it started before I went away.  So, starting with a tag made back in April, here's the first of a series of posts scratching that old obsessive colour itch.

I meant this tag for the Vintage Journey Tag Friday in June.  In case I ended up with either no time or no mojo in NYC, I decided to get it made before I left the UK at the beginning of May.

But then my AVJ team-mate, the brilliant Nikki of Addicted to Art, who was also one of my wingmen for the PaperArtsy word stamp release, pointed out that Tag Friday was perfectly timed to share something made with the new quotes.

So instead I made a whole new tag for that (time and mojo both cooperating), and this one got left in the photo album for later.





Later has arrived!  And I'm delighted that this young woman is finally getting her day in the sun.

(More sun than was around when I left - she's had some more photos taken today, as the April ones were definitely suffering from the dreary showery weather which simply wouldn't lift in the days before I flew.)










Of course, being that it was made all that time ago, I can't be sure any longer exactly what ingredients were involved in the making...

I know it started with a mop-up tag (slightly taller than usual - a leftover piece from something else), and I'm fairly sure it's Golden Smalt Blue acrylic.














And then there were various layers of stencilling...
















... stencil-printing...















... inky and watery splattering (my guess is that at least some of this is using the Oxides - Faded Jeans and Iced Spruce seem likely suspects)...













... and in the latter stages the dragonfly stamp, embossed in Weathered White, puts in an appearance, along with some text stamping and inky distressing around the edges.

I also mounted it on some cardboard for extra stability.














One of the Paper Dolls takes her place at the heart of things...

















... standing on some strips of tissue tape...













... and with some lace and stained tea-bag strips in the background.














The lovely fronds of some Scrapiniec grasses wave in the wind behind her.

And she's been collecting old leaves and drying them too.















The oval frame tries to constrict her into some semblance of modest, ladylike appearance.  But you can tell from its rusty state of neglect that she's uninterested in being looked at, or fitting in.














Neither she nor her nature collections will be confined.  She doesn't fit in the family picture frame.  The dragonfly will always escape the net.

(She may remind you of a recent acquaintance.)














She won't be nailed down by society's expectations.














The rebellions at the moment may be small, but they are significant.  Her clothes are never quite neat enough.  There's always a splatter of mud or a loose thread from brushing through a hedgerow.














She'll continue to do what she loves, and there's no stopping her.












The lace and ribbons her mother and governesses have tried for years to encourage her to embroider, knit or crochet with, remain in a tangled bunch, as she heads back out to the garden, the fields and the woods.














The fresh breezes will ruffle her hair as well as the grasses, and she'll continue to wear whatever she's found on her travels as her corsage, be it flowers or leaves or grasses.














The dragonfly's wings will spread wide to carry her far away.












Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you've enjoyed meeting today's tag inhabitant.  As I say, the blue & brown tag theme is going to continue here over the next few days, so I hope you'll be able to pop in and meet whoever's next!

Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.
Rachel Carson







At Stamps and Stencils there's some beautiful photo inspiration from the amazing Ruth to inspire us to play with Colour, Texture and Shape.  The decorative lace with rusty metal accents are certainly in play here, as are some of those architectural lines, though mine are horizontal rather than vertical. 
I'd also like to share this at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge where they are hoping that You've Got The Edge.  My dragonflies are heading over the edge in all directions, providing extra texture where they do, and the inky distressing provides a frame, as do the "rusty nails" in the corners (which are at the edge, after all).
At Tag Tuesday, the lovely Chrissie has chosen My Favourite Colour Combination as the theme.  As long as I've understood rightly and it's my favourite colour combination, not Chrissie's (!) then my blues and browns are right on the money.  And you already know there are some more blue and brown tags on the way soon!
Finally, at Mixed Media World they would like us to Use Natural Materials on a mixed media project.  The DT inspiration pieces are out of this world, but with my humble autumn leaves, I'd like to play along anyway!  (Thanks for the heads-up, Sara Emily.)

49 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

This tag is UTTERLY beautiful dear Alison - I love every detail ! AMAZING!
oxo Susi

zcdl said...

wow...very nice :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful tag, so beautiful. Love all the fine details and the delicate colouring. Hugs, Valerie

Brenda Brown said...

A gorgeous tag Alison with fabulous layering of colour and pattern topped with delightful elements to create the wonderful finished design xxx

Helen said...

what a gorgeous tag! well worth waiting from April to share her, definitely!

Amanda said...

Beautiful tag, love the story you tell of her
Love
Amanda x

chrissie said...

A terrific tag with a wonderful story.Always so much thought behind your artistic makes Alison. The right choice of everything to make it come together as well.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Nikki Acton said...

Another wonderful story and gorgeous tag. I love all your lace and ribbon additions... Note to self! Looking forward to more blue and brown artistic adventures xx ps sorry I delayed her blog appearance!

Rita said...

I absolutely love your tag Alison. The whole vintage theme and colours make it spectacular. Hugs Rita xxx

Neet said...

Oh Alison, you can itch and scratch as much as you want providing you keep us entertained seeing more of these beautiful blue tags. Love it. She is adorable and I am so glad she finally got an airing - and in the sun too.
You have spurred me on to leave all the other things I have going on alone and give my (new - yes, I have waited until now) Distress Oxides an airing.
Thank you for a beautiful tag, wonderful photos and inspiration to get me going with my new inks.
Hugs, Neet xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for linking your lovely tag to TT, hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

Beautiful tag Alison, and I love the story behind it!
Alison x

chrissie said...

Pleased you added this to Tag Tuesday Alison it is so you. Thank you for joining us and look forward to seeing more

Love Chrissie xx

Hazel Agnew said...

I am enjoying the feelings that this tag evokes for me! Calm yet exciting. Luscious yet restrained. Just perfect and making my fingers itch! Xx

Jackie PN said...

Your narrative is just as beautiful as is your tag dear Alison! I love everything about this- it is so rea land organic! hugs,Jackie xx

Dorthe said...

I got totally caught in your lovely story about the girl, living her life as she wants and need to do, and you created the most beautiful background for her, in the blue and brown tones- The dragonfly is gorgeous, Alison, so beautiful when embossed , and the adding of dried leaves, and laces gives warmth to the colder tones- such a beautiful tag. xo

sarascloset said...

Alison, you have such a way with blues and browns and words and tags! My, what a lovely story you weave over your young naturalist, who as you describe could be me! (Only I'm not young, nor so pretty!) Love your gorgeous composition and those rusted nails! Takes my breath away! And since you are in the challenge mood, may I suggest getting this in the line up at Mixed Media World? They are looking for natural materials. Sending hugs!
http://mixedmediaworld.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/mmw27-ammg-with-twist-use-natural.html

SewPaperPaint said...

Well I certainly enjoyed your tag with your new stamps and am just as pleased to be seeing this one now. I just adore the background you've created and the natural elements and "frame." Really fantastic creating, glad you're back at it! Hugs, Autumn

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful tag Alison, gorgeous details that reflect in the the lovely story about this young girl.
Avril xx

Sue said...

She's gorgeous Alison, chock full of lovely details, like you bows, and rusty wire, and the dried leaves are wonderful! A really fabulous piece xx

Chrissy said...

I don't think you could ever disappoint with blues and browns Alison..a gorgeous tag and story to go with it..love the scenes in my head of this lass collectiing her treasures on her journey..

Luv CHRISSYxx

maj. said...

I absolutely ADORE this tag!!!!!

Astrid Maclean said...

Always love your blues and browns Alison, and this tag is a real beauty! Lovely layering and overal design!

Meggymay said...

Your favourite colours and how special you can make them look. Its a fabulous tag Alison, the layers are wonderful.
Yvonne xx

Lucy said...

What an inspiration with the blues and browns. I'm not very good with color so I love the more monochromatic or more limited palette designs. And you really demonstrate how to do them. Thank you so much for showing us the making of your tag.
Lucy

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Another complete stunner Alison, you always make this gorgeous style look so effortless too!!
Hugs
Donna xx

My name is Erika. said...

These colors are gorgeous as is your tag. I love the metal circle you added. Really finishes off the tag. hugs-Erika

Annie said...

Your tags are simply stunning Alison and this one is no exception xxx Love the background and colours and the rusty wire really adds to the vintage grungy appeal.
TFS and hugs
Annie xx

hazel said...

Stunning!!! I love everything about it.
xxx Hazel.

Redanne said...

So very YOU and so very beautiful, I always love your story-telling too and enjoyed your tale of this lovely young lady! Anne xx

Irena Stefanova said...

What a lovely combination of colours, texture and embelishments....Love it! Thank you for linking to Mixed Media World Challenge #27 AMMG/Use Natural Materials.
Irena

WendyK said...

Gorgeous tag, it's one of my favourite colour combinations as well. Love all the texture and leaves.

Gio said...

This is such a beauty Alison. Welcome back :-)
Love love your favourite combo is back along with those leaves, such a bold touch!

Patty O'Malley said...

Love this tag and the interpretation!

Dortesjs said...

Yess you have such a way with your painting and stencil and blues..i do love your art

Corrie Herriman said...

Beautiful !
Corrie x

pearshapedcrafting said...

You are in your colour comfort zone and using elements that you love and Oh my! You have created the most wonderful tag! Pleased to know that there's more on the way! Hugs, Chrisx

Joan said...

An absolutely gorgeous tag and I love her story too!!!

Pawsitively Creative said...

I so enjoy when you do use these beautiful colors. The smile it brings to my face. Of course this is is fantabulous and amazeballs. All of your layering creates such a wonderful contrast for the entire tag and everything is so cohesive. Wowzers and WOWZERS! Hugz! ~Niki

rachel said...

what a yummy make Alison - gorgeous colours and that paperdoll looks fabulous! Wonderful! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils this month! Hugs rachel x

Craftyfield said...

This post is full of poetry as well as visual delight! Nothing wrong with blues and browns... one of my favourite combinations for males and Vintage themes! Gorgeous tag, Alison. xx

Kath Stewart said...

beautiful creation Alison...love the gorgeous background and hey my favourite colour combo..thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge...hugs kath xxx

Cocofolies said...

This is such a delight to look at every detail Alison!
Love love this first tag of what seems to be a series (pinned on my inspirational Tags board as many of your tags).
So beautiful one to start
Corinne xx

Julie Lee said...

I've been catching up in reverse order and what a joy it has been! I love this character because she doesn't 'fit in'! How many of us can relate to that! How beautifully she stands against her background of subtle colour, texture and exquisitely 'different' elements. Love this one! xx

carol l mckenna said...

Beautifully done and wonderful post to go with it ~ Love your tranquil elegant colors ^_^

New to Tag Tuesday ~ (A SHUTTERBUG EXPLORES)

A Pink said...

Your 'words and pictures' are always a joy! Alison . Wonderful tag and narrative .
x

Ruth said...

I never tire of seeing this colour combination Alison, it's like balm to the soul in your hands, a wonderful tag with so many wonderful elements and just love the inclusion of the coppery leaves along side a delightful story as always. Thanks so much for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Ruth xxx

toni said...

Hi Alison! So lovely to hop over and see more of this beautiful tag. You are the master of this colour combo, always achieving just the right balance between the tones. Keep on scratching that itch please! Thank you for sharing this beauty with us over at Stamps and Stencils.toni xx

sarascloset said...

So happy to see your wonderful artwork in the Spotlight at SSS! Woo Hoo! And great you were able to get this in at MMW, too! Really good stuff! Hugs!