I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 16 January 2017

2016 Baker's Dozen (and a half)

Hi all!  I thought I ought to get this retrospective post done before we get to February (though there was one of these Favourites posts which was a whole year late!).   It's been considerably quieter here at Words and Picures in 2016, so you would think it would be an easier task to select my Baker's Dozen this time around... no such luck.   In fact, I pretty much gave up on the dozen and just allowed the selection to take its course.

Despite being away from my craft stash for the majority of the year, I think it's still important to reflect on the journey - perhaps even more important to keep track of where I'm going if I want to make the most of the crafting time I have.  So here are some of my favourite things from 2016... some chosen for significant elements they contributed to the journey, some just for the love of them.

(If you click on the titles, you can go and see them in detail - close-up photos always seem to capture a piece better than the "all-in-one" - and with a couple that means hopping onward to catch them elsewhere, if they appeared as part of my DT duties.)





























































So, one thing I notice is how many of my choices are book-related, either handmade or altered books/journals or art journalling within books.  Well, it is Words and Pictures... I suppose with my love of words and, by extension, books, it was inevitable that books and book pages would come to be a central part of this visual creative journey (check out last week's Harlequin Infusion for a good example, if you missed it).

Art journalling has definitely played a bigger part in the journey this year (if only because an art journal is a relatively simple thing to take with you on an actual journey!). And there's evidence of my journey into my own mark-making - a significant development this year - from scribbles to doodles to sketching and painting to allowing my own handwriting to put in an appearance. 

But looking at this post I'm also very conscious of the back and forth between simplicity and complexity.  I wrote about this conflict in the post for the Imagine Simplicity tag which you saw above.  I'm not saying it has to be an "either/or" but I think it's definitely an ongoing negotiation in my crafting style.

Thank you for indulging me in this reflective mode... we're heading forwards into brand new stamps next, so that will give you something completely fresh to enjoy!

Learning without reflection is a waste. Reflection without learning is dangerous.
Confucius 

30 comments:

Marjie Kemper said...

So much gorgeousness!!!

My name is Erika. said...

Some wonderful art in your retrospect. :)

Helen said...

A great retrospective! It is always a treat to re-visit some of your amazing projects. Looking forward to new stamp work though!

Valerie-Jael said...

What a wonderful selection of art. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

How many gorgeous projects!? AMAZING!!!

chrissie said...

Terrific to see all projects again Alison and I must say I enjoyed the ones you made when you were away. They appeared to be just for you using what you had there at the time.

Well done and thanks for the inspiration you always give freely.

Love Chrissie xx

Jane said...

A gorgeous reflection Alison, some of which I admired while you were away. How quickly did last year go! I love your "simple" and elaborate works and I think that's what makes art and crafting so interesting. I love to experiment with everything and anything...even into whimsical creations..there are no rules are there! Life is for exploring. Enjoy your week, your art is alway stunning xxx

Redanne said...

A fabulous trip down memory lane Alison, each one is definitely worth a second look! Thanks so much for sharing these beauties with us again. Anne xx

Astrid Maclean said...

A wonderful collection and great to see them all again! Well done you for doing so much beautiful work even when so much time was spent away from home!

I look forward to what you will come up with in 2017, - may the journey continue!

Neet said...

Such a wonderful journey - thanks for taking the time to put this together for our delight.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Jackie PN said...

What a beautiful stroll through your creative year Alison! I oooged and aaaahed all over again-lol
Thanks for sharing your reflection and here's to 2017 ,filled with focus and clarity! (ok, maybe a bit much to ask, but worth trying for!)heehee
hugs&love,Jackie

Lys said...

What a great collection! I'm ready to follow your next journey!

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, I love both your simplicity and complexity related art pieces, each thing in its time, and no we need not to choose between them. They are bot so beautiful from your hands, and I wouldn`t be able to say yes to one and no to the other !!
Hugs ,Dorthe

suzyb said...

So much eye candy! Love all these pieces. You are such an inspiration! I love the colour palette you are using in your pieces. My creative juices start to flow as your colour choices and your layouts, tags and cards are just my taste!
Look forward to seeing what you do in 2017!

Paper Profusion said...

Gosh what an impressive display Alison - each and every one looks brilliant! You are very talented indeed and it's lovely to see how you are exploring and succeeding even further with your artistry. Nicola x

Meggymay said...

It was wonderful seeing this amazing selection. Each one has a Wow factor and shows your own unique style and preferences in their making. Inspirational.
Yvonne xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

You spoil us you know. These are all so fabulous. Lx

Suzanne C said...

Glorious year in review. I love to see what are your favorites are and the comment about simplicity and complexity.

Inkypinkycraft said...

so many gorgeous projects x so much beauty xx

sarascloset said...

Alison, can I just say that I adore reading your posts? Who needs a book when they can come and read and feel like they've been inspired by both words and pictures?! Wow! I think that's what you should name your blog!! Tee Hee! Too much coffee!

Absolutely inspiring baker's dozen and a 1/2! I won't even bother trying to pick a favorite or even a dozen favorites, because they all are, and as is everything you've ever made! Thank you for sharing these wonderful inciteful (in a good way) pieces from your talented hands all in one fantastic post! Pinned under a whole new category! Sending hugs!

Sue said...

It was a real treat to see these beauties again Alison. What a fabulous year you had! You can see your art evolving, yet everything is so YOU. Here's to another great year! xx

experiments in paper said...

What a fabulous retrospective, Alison! I marvel at what you achieved in the midst of a very busy year abroad....all incredibly inspiring! I'm en route to Nicaragua, and hoping to noodle around with water color sketching whist there (though like you I am mostly there for work). Meanwhile, look forward to your art in 2017 - thanks, as ever, for sharing your diverse and beautiful talent. xxx Lynn

Cocofolies said...

For a quiet year, you have been very productive!!!!! :D
At least, you have produced several masterpieces Alison.. I adore them all!!!!!! Each of these beauties is wonderful art in my view.
Hugs again, Corinne xx

craftytrog said...

Great to re-visit these beauties Alison! xx

Pamellia said...

Such a wonderful selection of projects! Looking forward to more of your amazing work in 2017, happy new year Alison!

Julia said...

A great review of your 2016 projects. I understand that conflict you described in Imagine Simplicity and I remember that tag well, one of my favourites. Your books are outstanding and a lovely way to use and display all the lovely ephemera. Looking forward to your 2017 projects. x

SewPaperPaint said...

A year full of beauty indeed! What a tremendous reel this is! I so enjoyed seeing your projects on display together here. Here's to a very creative 2017!

maria's knutselplezier said...

All your creations are so beautiful and unique it's really a joy to spent some time on your blog and to see how you make your wonderful creations, I admire your art very much and I see forward to enjoy some more!!!

Have fun!!
Maria

Anneke said...

Beautiful work!! You are an artist!!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

A wonderful wander through your year of art Alison! Certainly no signs of conflict in what you make!! Hugs, Chrisx