I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Being a Boy




Hello all!  So happy you enjoyed yesterday's melancholy musical creation.

I've a tag slightly out of my usual style for you today.  I've been really enjoying the Stampotique Designers Challenge themes lately, and am so honoured by being picked as a favourite too.

But I am slightly ashamed that none of my projects has used a Stampotique stamp (though it's not compulsory)... well, here's one that does!

The theme this week is Masculine.  I suppose this tag probably lies towards the gentle end of the testosterone spectrum, but I really wanted to take this little boy out for a spin.

I was so excited recently to win some fabulous blog candy from the brilliant and lovely Kay Wallace, and this Daniel Torrente stamp, Heart Boy, was part of it - so he needed inking!













For the background I spread some texture paste onto a tag, then laid another tag over the top and pressed them together firmly before peeling them apart to get this lovely textured look.













I inked over the top with various Distress Inks - Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans, Peeled Paint and Shabby Shutters, I think.











I love the variegated tones you get as the ink takes differently according to whether it's over the paste or direct onto the card.













Heart Boy was stamped on a separate piece of card, then stamped again and cut out as a mask.  I inked around him with the same colours, and used my (very few) Copic Markers to colour him in.












I stamped the "recipe", adapted from the nursery rhyme (it's down below, with some extra verses I never knew existed), on some more leftover card.











I inked the words, sky and grass, top and bottom, and mounted both them and Heart Boy on padded tape.













I used one of Darcy's new PaperArtsy border stamps around the edges - it seemed just right for this tag.













(Oh, and those tiny red spatters you can see... an oversight on my part.  He was lying too near something else that was going on!)












It's all topped off with some dyed seam binding and curled paper string - keeping things simple, for once.











As it's Tuesday, you'll find me over at Artistic Outpost today too... with my tag using real life fir fronds - so if you missed it last time around, do check it out.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'll see you soon either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.











What are little boys made of?
What are little boys made of?
Frogs and snails and puppy dogs' tails,
And that are little boys made of.

What are little girls made of?
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice and all things nice,
And that are little girls made of.

What are young men made of?
What are young men made of?
Sighs and leers, and crocodile tears,
And that are young men made of.

What are young women made of?
What are young women made of?
Ribbons and laces, and sweet pretty faces,
And that are young women made of.
Traditional

Originally by Robert Southey, but with many alternative versions down the years, including some with even more verses!

I'm entering this highly Masculine tag (!) over at the Stampotique Designers Challenge

52 comments:

Helen said...

what a great tag, I love Heart Boy. The splodges and swirls are perfect for a masculine theme, lol!!
I never knew the extra verses to that rhyme either.I always learn things here!

May said...

Fabulous tag Alison, I adore the little heart boy...the background is beautiful...Love the verse... Hugs May x x x

chrissie said...

A wonderful tag Alison and the stamp is terrific. The idea of a 'two for one' by placing the two tags together to make the texture is a keeper for sure. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas

Love Chrissie x

froebelsternchen said...

what an amazing little rascal!

Maggie said...

Great tag Alison fabulous background and oh so true rhyme which I have used in my Grandsons scrapbook

MaggieH

sam21ski said...

Great tag Alison, love that background

Sam xx

Dagmar said...

Your Tag is so beautiful - i love the boy and the colors.

Shirley said...

This tag so appeals to my sense of humour Alison. Quirky yet so beautiful and all in one teensy tiny space of card.

When I tell people that I think these stamps are soooo pretty they look at me as if I am mad but I truly think that.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x

Unknown said...

What a fab texture technique Alison and such a superb mix of products brought together to create this little work of art - love it! Chris xxx

Amanda said...

Fab tag! Love how you've created the background and then how the colour works with both giving that fab mottled look. Great for the masculine theme.
Love
Amanda x

Jackie said...

What a great tag... Love heart boy!
Your background is stunning, thank you for joining us at stampotique

Redanne said...

I do love Stampotique images (the crafter is my favourite) and heart boy is delightful. I love the beautiful background you created for him, he looks so perfect standing there and the words really do suit him! I love this tag. Anne xx

rachel said...

love the whole tag Alison - the background is just gorgeous and the stamp is cute - perfect words too xx

Deborah said...

The gentle end works just fine - it's a wonderful tag.

Kaz said...

Such a gorgeous tag Alison! Thanks for joining us again this week at Stampotique. I'm glad you're enjoying our challenges.

Cocofolies said...

Hahaha, this is gorgeous Alison, it remains well in your style (I would have recognized you just looking at the colours and the background technique), but it is fabulously cute with this little Stampotique boy!! Well done, love it!!! :) Hugs, Coco xxx

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Alison, eekkss, I looooove that background, can't wait to try that effect it's fantastic, love the stamping all around,you've made that little boy come alive, love your words, thanks for sharing, have a wonderful day, flying over to artistic outpost, ((( BIG HUGS)))...

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

The tag has lovely elements and still is masculine...clever Alison!
Great techniques

Marci said...

Perhaps there is a soft spot for a certain little boy? Cuz this tag gives that feeling. Somehow, the fondness comes through. At least, that's my impression. LOVE it! Even love the tiny red splatters, ha.

Marci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Elizabeth said...

Seriously adorable tag. I love the texture created from "squishing the two tags together" (for lack of better words) technique. Great color variation on the background and I agree, the PaperArtsy border stamp is perfect for this tag. Such a cute recipe to go along with Heart Boy. Love how you colored outside your "normal" creative lines today. You've added your personal style to such a great stamp.

Cestina said...

Surely those are deliberate freckles on his forehead?
xx

Brenda Brown said...

The background is everything, it really shines through with texture, colour and the gorgeous border swirls. Love this design and style Alison xx

Meggymay said...

This is a real cute tag, the background looks great and Heart boy is a little sweetie.
Yvonne

Astrid Maclean said...

Love the interesting background and the nursery rhyme certainly suits this little guy! Don't think I'll ever be a real fan of Stampoteque, but hey, - it takes all sorts....

Unni A said...

Wonderful tag! I love the cute boy and the funny recipe :)
hugs, Unni

Lisa Minckler said...

I swear, you're the texture queen and gentle testosterone or not..he's a CUTIE!!!
LOL..I love your sense of humor.
Have a great one and thanks for my fill of "WOW"
Lisa x

Julie Lee said...

I love what you did with the background on this and Darcy's border stamp goes so well. The whole tag works perfectly! I love it! Julie Ann xxx

Dorthe said...

Little boyes are on their way to masculinity dear Alison!!
He is cute, and your background very exiting, ...love you used blue and green,-boyes colours, or ;-)
Such a wonderful tag.
Hugs freom Dorthe
xx

Kay Wallace said...

Thanks for the "shout out," Alison! I am glad that "Heart Boy" is no longer a virgin (stamp)! Love how you achieved your background texture on your tag. I have tried this with gesso, but not texture paste...will definitely try that, so thanks for the inspiration today! And, of course, thanks for participating in the Stampotique Designers' Challenge this week!

Mrs.B said...

He certainly is a cutie Alison love the textured background, .
Avril x

Paper Profusion said...

Fabulously zingy and wonderfully textured background Alison! I can just imagine that little guy creating all those splats himself. No wonder he got those adorable freckles! Nicola x

Corrie Herriman said...

Wow, love this tag. The texture from the model paste is yummy and the colours are brilliant.
Thanks for joining us at Stampotique !
Corrie x

Netty said...

great choice of words for this fab tag, Annette x

Jools Robertson said...

Love this, he's so cute can't believe the puppy dog tales and snails malarkey!

Jools x

cathylynn said...

Great texture technique! Love the results and this is one fantastic tag! Cute stamp!!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Sandy said...

Sugar this is wonderful - funny and so sweet and the same time. You are a true talent for sure!!
Sandy xx

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tag & Heart Boy is so cute - the red splatters are freckles of course. :)

Kate Yetter said...

What a fun background with such a cute focal stamp. I really love the quote especially because I have little boys.
Kate

Unknown said...

That's awesome background images, i really like this blog
Background Pictures

craftytrog said...

Blue and green should always be seen! Gorgeous tag Alison! xxx

Unknown said...

This is SO sweet Alison, love it!

barbarayaya62 said...

great tag in this unusual style!!!!
You're an eclectic artist!BArbarayaya

Sam & Poppy said...

OMG Brilliant!!!!
Thanks for joining in with us at Stampotique :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fantastic tag - great saying :D

Margaret said...

Marvelous job on your masculine tag! The background gives the impression of a wonderful forest that's begging to be explored and the young man looks like he's ready for an adventure! I never realized there were two more verses to the nursery rhyme! Oh, the things I learn when I visit you!

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow what a wonderful tag , dear Alison , great stamping, and I love the way you put that past on your tag!!!I really admire your work, you are a very talented lady!!!

Greetings
Maria

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love the texture and colour and of course heart boy!
I've never seen those extra verses before and didn't know that they wrier written by Robert Southey! Chrisx

*Arwen* said...

I love your tag - it's really cool <3
Thanks for joining us at Stampotique DC :)

xx Arwen

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Awwww...! So sweet. Great tag. The perfect background for little boys made with tails and snails. Love it!

Jenny Marples said...

Love the way you got the texture into this one Alison. It works perfectly with the blended inks and is fabulous with your little boy. Jenny x

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow so loving the background, I have done this technique before but always added paints, I really need to try and use my distress more as they look awesome with the darker and pastel effect where the paste is. I love the image, he is rather cute. Kezzy:-) xxx