I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 22 September 2017

The Fire of the Frost

Hello all!  We've made it to the first of the EAB05 Winter Edition samples, and I thought I'd kick off with a double.  Both of these samples use the longer quotes from the set, but you could easily just use a line or two at a time if you didn't want all the words at once.  One of the two pieces was a CASEing of a card I made over a year ago... it's a rarity around here, as it's basically a Clean and Simple creation.


The other took the same basic idea and added a coat of frosted sparkle.  For the full launch post over at PaperArtsy (here if you missed it) I shared a 20-second snippet of video because it was really the only way to show the full effect of the frosted stamping.  You'll get a look at it later in this post too.

Lots of people have already been asking how the icy sparkle was done, so now's your chance to find out.






Both cards start with really the simplest of backgrounds... just some gesso or white acrylic dabbed onto the craft mat, then spritzed with water and smooshed around with a large brush... and then you simply press some kraft card down onto the mess and lift it away.  If you want you can go in for repeated pressings, or you may be perfectly happy with the first.

I love that it gives a wonderful look of whirling snowstorms, or of a snowy landscape glimpsed through a mist of snowflakes.












For the first card I paired Christina Rossetti's beautiful words with Sara Naumann's solitary bird from ESN18 - simply meant to be.











It's probably my favourite Christmas carol of all (though, as I've said before, for me it has to be the Harold Darke setting - no need to listen now if, like me, you can't handle Christmas this early... these are "winter cards" not Cxxxxxmas ones!).

The bare twigs from the same set add a little vertical dimension to the composition.











This is an absolutely straightforward stamping in Jet Black Archival (another rarity around here), no embossing, no nothing special.  About the quickest thing I've ever made I think!

Oh, some white splatter, of course.  Never forget the white splatter...












I created the same background ready for the glorious Lynne Perrella snowflake woman (that's just what she's called in my head, nowhere else) from LP016.

I think this quote by John Burroughs is extraordinary - so poetic in its multi-sensory sounds and colours and images and temperatures, and from the moment of finding it, the intricacies of the thinking felt as though they would work well with the intricacies of a Lynne Perrella stamp.










To echo the power of those images - the "fire of the frost", the "life of the crystal" (all phrases that you could use by themselves if you don't want to use the quote in its entirety) - I thought I'd push the boat out and go for some sparkle.











I tried a couple of methods on a piece of scrap card.  I had high hopes of the Frosted Crystal embossing powder by Ranger, but it didn't make quite the impact I wanted.  It does look like a sort of icy coating, but it's not really sparkling.  Maybe I overheated it?










So I tried something else.  I stamped her in Jet Black and then used Sticky Embossing Powder over the stamping.

You heat it to melting point (but don't go on too long), and then you can add particles, whether glitter or fluff or mica, depending on your look.  I used Tim's Distress Dry Glitter in Rock Candy (magical stuff which isn't really like real glitter at all), and that was much more like it.










Once I had that worked out, I stamped directly onto my snowy kraft (using the Stamping Platform - fantastic for a detailed image like these Lynne Perrella ones, especially a large stamp like this one - you can always go for another stamping if you don't quite get it all first time), and proceeded with my sparkle addition.













I love that you get a properly thick, crunchy coat of frost...














... but you can still see all the magical detail of the image beneath.














I did the same for the words themselves, which has quite a magical effect too, I think.









Of course none of these photos really shows you the full effect, so here's that snippet of video I promised you.



There's really no other way to catch that sparkle in the light as it moves!








I added a couple of Calico Craft Parts snowflakes, to which I'd given a coat of white gesso and one of matte medium to adhere some more of the Dry Glitter.

And again, once I knew how to get my sparkle, a really quick card to make, and easily repeatable if you're making many cards for sending.











Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I'll be back soon with some more samples - back to Music and Silence for some singing Zinskis I think - but before that there's something brand new to see, which you can catch on Sunday evening.  Until then, have a great weekend everybody.

They say that every snowflake is different. If that were true, how could the world go on? How could we ever get up off our knees? How could we ever recover from the wonder of it?
Jeanette Winterson

EAB05 The Winter Edition available now from Country View Crafts, That's Crafty, The Artistic Stamper and many more...

30 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful work, my faves so far. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

Gorgeous cards, Alison- especially the Bleak Midwinter one (also one of my favourites) and the smooshed background on the kraft cardstock is magic (I probably missed reading that at PA)

Jane said...

These are just gorgeous Alison andI totally agree re In the Bleak mid winter...it always makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck....hauntingly beautiful. What fab new stamps you have created..these are going on my wish list for sure xxx

Dortesjs said...

waue love that love this winter card

Amanda said...

These weee my favourites, even better 2nd time around
Love
Amanda x

craftytrog said...

I love your snowy backgrounds Alison! Gorgeous, wintry cards!
Alison xx

Marci said...

I think these were my favorite cards. Both are beautiful! Thank you for the snippet video and the info on how you did them.

Cestina said...

Not listen to it? Impossible, especially whilst wondering at the moving, sparkling glitter...xx

My name is Erika. said...

Your quote really work with the Lynne Perella stamps. Gorgeous pieces.

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely stunning!!
Lynne's stamps pair perfectly with your stamps Alison- a well made match!
Your artwork amazes me every time I open your posts!
Beautiful,my friend! xo

SewPaperPaint said...

I never would have thought to use sticky EP, so smart of you! And a wonderful effect. Hugs, Autumn

Patty O'Malley said...

My favorite season! I am in love with these quotes and stamps! Fantastic!

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous pieces, I think these are my favourite colour combination and words images. Thank you for the technique tips as well.
Yvonne xx

hazel said...

Two wonderful cards and beautiful quotes - love them both.
xxx Hazel.

Fliss said...

Really stunning cards Alison. I love the simplicity of design as your beautiful quotes don't need much else.
The kraft backgrounds are gorgeous and the subtle sparkle is wonderful (great video clip too).
I don't think you overheated the embossing powder either as I've used it and the sparkle is more subtle than full on, a bit like crisp snow just as it melts and the light hits it if you get my meaning.
Thanks for sharing and so love these cards.
Fliss xx

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, they are so dreamy, wonderfully glittering, and make me think of the Snow Queen adventure,- and I so love the bird card, so stunning, in it`s simplicity ! Beautiful ,beautiful, both.
I will go see more over at Leandre`s
I got your first set of stamps, to my collection, and love it,- :-)
Hugs, Dorthe

maj. said...

It is magical background! Beautiful cards!!!

froebelsternchen said...

They are both precious! So masterfully crafted! I love the video and the info on how you created the cards. Happy weekend!
Susi

Redanne said...

Absolutely stunning cards Alison! I love the frosty sparkle you achieved over those gorgeous LP stamps and of course your wonderful words are just the icing on the beautiful cake! Anne xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

I always love my trip over to your blog Alison, I always leave feeling thoroughly inspired by your beautiful and amazing creations
hugs
Donna xx

Kate Yetter said...

So beautiful, Alison! I love your soft, neutral and sparkling cards. Just lovely.

Craftyfield said...

After a long resistance, I now need the Distress Glitter... (I don't usually do glitter especially the powder form as it gets everywhere!) but this is so stunning, I have to try this technique! These samples were also my favourites, maybe it's the Kraft & white colour scheme, or the vintage vibe, or even the clean design but they speak to me!

Julie Lee said...

These are exquisite, the perfect marriage of words, image and sparkle! Wonderful winter cards! xx

Paper Profusion said...

Both are beautiful Alison - especially the more stark bird. Less is definitely more. Love your Christmas / Winter stamps too - a really wonderful collection. I agree and love clear rock candy too! Happy Sunday! Nicola x

Cocofolies said...

I have some Sticky powder, and distress glitter... so certainly will try your way to get sparkle like this one - stunning indeed!! - one day soon!
Thanks so much again alison, for both your wonderful makes and quotes (really need some more sets from you, later I hope I can buy the other ones I would love!).
Hugs, xx

Kirsten said...

They are beautiful, I love the sparkle.

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful frosty images - I can feel the cold winter wind and snow! Beautiful designs!

Chrissy said...

Amazing frosty sparkle Alison and I love the image of the lady and beautiful colours and I love the bird too..

Luv CHRISSYxx

rachel said...

wow - these are amazing - that lynne perella stamp works so well...beautiful words - clever lady! Hugs rachel x

A Pink said...

These are so lovely, Alison. The wintry frosty feel is fabulous . I can almost imagine a snow storm blowing . Of course I love your winter edition stamps too x