I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 17 September 2017

Fabulous Fungi

Hi, I'm back with the second follow-up post of samples for my new word stamps.  (Once again, the full launch post, in case you missed it, is here at PaperArtsy.)  This time we're hitting EAB04 The Autumn Edition.  Autumn is maybe my favourite crafting season - those incredible colours which take over the trees as well as craft rooms everywhere.  It's the only time of the year when orange starts to appear regularly on my craft mat, though it's rarely called by that name!


And there are so many good autumnal quotes, too... it was tough to whittle it down to the selection on the stamp plate, but I was trying to think how the words would work on projects as well as just how much I loved them.  So here are the first of my Autumn Edition samples... a coaster trio of fabulous fungi (with a bonus ATC into the bargain).






I started with a sheet of A4 cardstock and did some wrinkle-free distressing with various autumnal Distress Inks.  It's a while back now, but I'm guessing Vintage Photo, Rusty Hinge, maybe some Wild Honey and/or Gathered Twigs?













This sheet came into play on some of my other samples too, but at least half of it was available to cover these three beer mats and leave enough over for an ATC.













I used images from the wonderful Scrapcosy plate ESC05 and stamped them in various positions on the coasters, clear-embossing for a little extra oomph.  I then "watercoloured" the images using Fresco paints.














I simply add a dot of paint to my craft mat, spritz with water, and then use a water brush to apply the paint.













This means you get a nice translucent medium - even from the opaque Fresco colours like Chalk and Stone - which you can build up in layers without obscuring the stamp detail too much. 














I'm really pleased with how this turned out as an effect.  I was worried the busy ink splotches of the background would be too overwhelming, but I love how the subtle tinting brings the images to life.











I stamped my chosen quotes on some separate card stock, trying out a few Archival colours to see which would work best.  As you can see, depending on the juiciness of your ink pad, you get different degrees of sharpness and clarity in the stamping.

I believe you can see Sepia, Sienna and Leaf Branch in action here...











Once I'd decided - my trusty Sepia won out - I trimmed the quotes and started to arrange them on the coasters.















I really hadn't planned ahead so it was quite lucky that the positioning worked out okay in the end...














... or maybe it's that with the quotes being of different shapes and sizes, it was always going to be possible to work out a satisfactory arrangement.








I hope you can see what I mean about there being some really good autumn quotes.  It seems it's a season which inspires writers as well as artists.


You can always count on L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables in the middle there for a nice positive slant on the fact that summer is over for another year...







I also used the quote stamps to add a little more detail to those backgrounds again.  I just really like having the thought hovering there too.














I do like the off-green tinting of the leaves just on the turn...















... and the sanded edges revealing a hint of white to reflect the quote panels.








And the overall richness of the final effect...


... seems to me to work really well for this most vivid of seasons.









The ATC is really a very simple affair... the same ESC05 stamp set, this time adding in the lovely sycamore pod and the acorn.















I like that the images have their botanical references attached in the same way as my quotes have their authorial references attached...













It pleases me as a little echo.  It doesn't take much to please my brain!

And rather than keeping the quote "solid", for the ATC I've chopped it up.













That way you can position your phrases to suit both the layout of the image design, and to intensify the phrasing of the thought.








So that's a little taste of autumn for you.  I hope you'll forgive all the photos.  Since all these samples have all gone off to live at PaperArtsy on the display boards, these posts will be my only record of them so I'm indulging myself with plenty of photos.  But it's great to have your company for the ride too.




Next up, we'll start to work through some EAB05 The Winter Edition samples, so do come back soon if you'd like to know the secret of the Frosted Lynne Perrella Woman!   Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great week.

Fungi are the grand recyclers of the planet and the vanguard species in habitat restoration.
Paul Stamets

Falling in love is like eating mushrooms, you never know if it's the real thing until it's too late.
Bill Balance

EAB04 The Autumn Edition available at Country View CraftsThat's CraftyThe Artistic Stamper and many more...

36 comments:

Dortesjs said...

wooo totally gorgeous, i do love your art ;O)

Helen said...

Fantastic rich autumnal colours and images - I love them! Definitely my favourite time of year.

froebelsternchen said...

You never cease to amaze me with your fantastic colours and techniques! And those sentiments and quotes are so beautiful - amazing stamps and I love your examples with them!
oxo Susi

Juliz Design Post said...

Amazing post Alison and I'm loving your meaningful sentiments, a perfect addition to an autumnal card and many more projects.
Julie x

Valerie-Jael said...

These are gorgeous, and reminiscent of beautiful autumn days. Have a good start in the new week, hugs, Valerie

maj. said...

This is gorgeous, such pretty colours!!!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely wonderful Alison - I have your wonderful sentiments winging their way here to the North. I so love what you have done with these gorgeous pieces. Just stunning x

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous coasters and ATC's. Your colours and backgrounds look awesome.
Perfect shades for Autumn that seems to be rapidly arriving here in the UK.
The sentiments are all wonderful.
Yvonne xx

Fliss said...

Ooooh! These are so lovely Alison, I just adore Autumn colours and you've recreated so well on these. This particular quote set is on my wish list as Autumn is my very favourite time of year.
Fliss xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful! Love how you used the paints and inks!Looking forward to Autumn colours with these brilliant quotes when we get home! Hugs, Chris!

Amanda said...

Beautiful and everything just works so well together.
Love
Amanda x

Chrissy said...

Love,love,love these Alison..Fungi is my favourite and I love the background colours on the coasters..WONderful..

Luv CHRISSYxx

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous fall pieces. It is coming soon, isn't it? Fall I mean. Hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

So pretty! I love those stamps. The fungi looks amazing next to your quotes.
Kate

brenda said...

You have showcased your stamp set beautifully with all the inky Autumnal coloured pieces and am thinking I just might 'need' those stamps as it's a season I love creating for.

B x

Jane said...

Awww Alison these are totally gorgeous....autumn suits you very well indeed! xxx

Cestina said...

Gone for display boards???? That's outrageous. These are perfect stocking fillers!!!

Bill Balance made me laugh out loud but he has it slightly wrong. The fungi are a surer bet!
xxx

Monika Gulyas said...

Wow Alison, your coasters are so beautiful! I love your autumnal colours, your rusty browns!!! The leaves and mushrooms look fantastic on your background and with your wonderful quotes!!! Big hugs

Brenda Brown said...

These are just beautiful autumnal creations Alison, those rich coloured backgrounds and painted fungi are superb and set off your gorgeous stamped sayings perfectly xxx

Patty O'Malley said...

Fantastic Fall creations, Alison! I love the transparent painting as well. I'm not a fan of orange but I do love the Fall versions of it. Can't wait to see the Winter collection as that is my next favorite season to Fall.

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely Outstanding mini artworks Alison!! I do believe these coaster size pieces have made it to the top of my favorite list!
Just gorgeousness all around! From the off page stamping, coloring and quotes- perfect mini artworks! (if you ever want to sell these, let me know first!) ")
Again congratulations on your stamps- absolutely wonderful- I am so thrilled for you!
huge hugs,Jackie xx

Dorthe said...

Oh Alison, such a beautiful visit, here , again. I so love your autumnal coasters , the rusty tones, of dried leaves, are gorgeous, and the fungi so gorgeously painted , what a lovely afternoon visit !!
Hugs, Dorthe

Redanne said...

Glorious Autumn colours Alison, the little mats are gorgeous, as is the ATC. I am in love with your latest release, cannot wait for mine to arrive now! Anne xxx

SewPaperPaint said...

These are sooooooo fantastic! Looooove! <3 Hugs, Autumn

Cocofolies said...

So fabulous, Alison... I love your three coasters, they are just truly wonderful, I really adore them (and now, I need your Autumn plate!! ;-)
Your quotes go so well with these Scrapcosy mushrooms and stamps, also gorgeous, similar to your quotes.
Moreover, perfect with them!
How lucky we are to have you.... You offer to us so many great posts and shares. Don't change anything please please :)
Hugs and love, Coco xxx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

You nailed the background for this theme! LOVE every bit, and you've made the mushrooms look fabulous...how is that possible!!! So cool!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I smiled a big smile for your autumn quotes. I love each and every one of them but I think the one about living in a world with Octobers is the best. I bemoan the lack of good or even suitable autumn greetings. Happy Fall or Happy Autumn is that asking too much? But the font has to be perfect so yes, yes it is too much.

Your projects are lovely, the colors devine and the extra splash of tinting perfect. Your coasters make me happier yet.

craftytrog said...

Beautiful, rich backgrounds, and I love the quotes!
I finally bought my first three oxides after watching your demo on Saturday Alison! I think I'll be needing more.
Have a great week,
Alison xx

hazel said...

I love everything about your coasters Alison - they're gorgeous.
xxx Hazel.

Julia said...

Love those rich autumn colours and the quotes of course.

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful coasters with your wonderful new quote stamps Alison! the colors you chose are perfect for the mushrooms - and thanks for the tip on watercoloring them with the paints! Love them!! Julia xx

Julie Lee said...

Ah, Autumn in all its glory! Fantastic coasters with a really original and beautiful look and great technique tips. Thank You, Alison for another inspiring post! xx

Paper Profusion said...

Fantastic autumnal capture (and I must correct my comment on post above - your stamps are very much for autumn as well as winter!). Love the rich, warm hues and terrific depth! Well done you with more fab stamps. Nicola x

Kirsten said...

Oooh, these are beautiful! I love the autumn colours. Congrats on your new stamp sets.

rachel said...

love these scrapcosy stamps - you've teamed them up beautifully! Hugs rachel x

A Pink said...

Gorgeous rich warm autumn colours, imagery and words - its hard not to love these beauties .
x