I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 19 August 2017

Cabinet Journal








Hello all!  I'm so glad you enjoyed the Candlelit Foliage.

Today we're back on the journal trail, another creation made using Eileen Hull's fantastic Journal die.  You saw a sneak peek of this when I was joining in the announcement of the Journal Treasury e-book the other day. 

(If you missed the exciting launch do check out all the details by clicking the link.)

The cover looks innocent enough, ready to open up to reveal the pages inside.


But this one has no pages.  It's a journal with a difference... a cabinet of curiosities, lost and found over time.







One of the inspirational journals included in the Treasury comes from the fantastic Shelly Hickox a.k.a. the Stamptramp.  She used Tim Holtz Configurations boxes inside her journal cover... but, even before I'd seen that, my very first thought when I saw the journal die for the first time was, "Ooh, that looks just the right size for a Calico Craft Parts Printers Tray... and it turns out I was right!


I've played with the CCP Printers Tray a number of times (check out my Springtime Shadowbox, or the Doll Exhibition, or even, from way back when, you could do some Beachcombing), and I love that you can get it with varying internal configurations, according to what you want to do with it.





A recent new addition to the range, though, are these wonderful frames to add to the front of your finished tray to give it a really polished look.  As you can see, I haven't added it to the tray itself, but it makes for a lovely feature on the front of the journal.













This is the plain frame, which I've given a rusted look with the simple aid of a few DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics, but there are also some glorious decorative ones.  I've got a lovely bramble-covered version which I'm looking forward to playing with soon.








The word label is also by Calico Craft Parts, one of their new(ish) Word Elements.  Again, I've just used some paint to get the rusty look - some Quinacridone Gold, Paynes Grey and Raw Umber.












I layered the paint in washes, stippling it until I had the look I wanted.

Behind the Word Element is a piece of my much-loved rusty mesh, and some tiny paper roses finish the front cover.













The outside of the journal is covered with some of the Tim Holtz Memoranda papers - in fact, those are the papers in use throughout, including on the outside of the printers tray itself, which forms the edging of the "pages".












And some plain off-white cotton twill tape provides the fastening to secure it.















I've kept it relatively simple on the outside, since I expect it's going to stand open as often as it is closed...




... so that you can explore the Lost and Found objets trouvés inside...




... the gatherings and remnants of a number of lives.

















The brilliant thing about the Printers Tray is that it comes in pieces, making it really easy to decorate it before you assemble it.














I've used the 6x6 papers for the interior.   (The central walls aren't stuck down yet at this point - I'm just checking how it looks.)















The 6x6 designs are smaller in scale, so they don't overwhelm the little cubbyholes.












The larger scale 12x12 Memoranda papers cover the inner boards as well as the front of the journal.

I love that it looks as though I've taken the time to gather lots of old vintage ephemera and papers and even old sellotape - no, it's all on the paper design!












I painted the inner spine, as you can see; and later I added some vintage lace to match the pieces in the cubby holes opposite.














There are lots of bits and bobs in here, some of which have been waiting around for quite a while to find a new home, each one a "found object" as the sign says.














There are some that I've altered - these wooden cubes, covered in some more Memoranda papers...













... and some that I made pretty much from scratch, like this bottle top filled with paper, mini-gears and topped up with Glossy Accents.  I made it ages ago - it's been waiting at least three years to be used for something!











I'm completely in love with the new Idea-ology skulls - incredibly detailed and brilliantly aged.  All you have to do is stick them down and they add antiquity and mystery.

He's next to a resin rose which I rusted pretty much exactly four years ago (my Tea Dye and Rusty Hinge post will reveal all...), and a rusty star which came that way.











The golden bird I think came off a charm necklace bought at a charity shop for crafty dismantling, and he's flying over a resin picture frame - maybe Prima? maybe not.












There's another of the frames, and another rusty star (somebody must have been making a collection) in the top left corner display.  You'll see I distressed the papers even more round the corners and edges.













Just below the Quote Stick (which gave me the idea behind the whole piece), a couple of spools sit on some more of the lace with a couple of faded roses, carrying the memories of some long-forgotten romance.













Tucked away in a corner, there's one of the Idea-ology Salvaged Dolls, messed up considerably with washes of paint, perched on another of the wooden spools.














And the key (from another long-ago rusting session) keeps its secrets - we'll never know what lock it opened... perhaps one on a small chest containing the love letters from that faded romance.  Since the key is lost, the chest can't be opened, so the letters will never be read again.
















The innards of an old pocket watch hang on the wall, supported by a twist of rusty wire.
















Down at the bottom left, the decorations are a little less steampunk and a little more baroque.  The gilded cherub perches on his wooden flourish (Calico Craft Parts again)...













... while the rusted locket, fallen into decay, commemorates another long-lost love.  Such a profile!

As you'll have noticed, there are several of the wonderful Clippings stickers dotted around.











There are more of them over on the inside cover of the journal.

Facing all those long lost dimensional objects, we also have some lost and found paper ephemera...














... the photos slipping through time...














... along with luggage labels, and tickets, and playbills, and school reports...















... and the memories and echoes of conversations...
















... all the tiny pieces which go to make up the record of a life...













... and most of which slip away from us, carrying the stories they hold off into the world.






The whole thing stands up beautifully making it easy to display... now I just need some space.

So there's my journal cabinet of curiosities for you - I hope it sends your imagination off down as many story avenues as it does mine!

Hope you're all enjoying a great weekend, and I'll see you again soon.

Memory is the cabinet of imagination, the treasury of reason, the registry of conscience and the council-chamber of thought.
Giambattista Basile

I'd like to play along at the Mix It Up challenge blog where they are playing Anything Goes with an optional twist of Paper Piecing.  No paper piecing, I'm afraid, unless my wooden cubes count, but this is more design paper than you usually find here at Words and Pictures

39 comments:

Amanda said...

Alison simply beautiful, I love the fact the printers tray is hidden inside and filled with so many treasures and memories. I've ordered the die now so love all your inspiration
Love
Amanda x

Helen said...

Fantastic!! so much to look at, such intricate detail.

Jutta.K. said...

An impressive, great work.
I've never seen anything like it.
I'm excited !

Chrissy said...

FANtastic Alison..so many details to gaze at in every little cubby hole..wonderful project.love the lace trim and colours and the photos and tags..brilliant.

luv CHRISSYxx

Julia said...

What an amazing journal. Everything about this one deserves a big round of applause, it is quite simply stunning. x

Kate Yetter said...

Wow!! This is a stunner Alison! I love the paper used for the cover and that vintage looking frame. Simple but so elegant. And what a cool surprise on the inside. I have never seen a frame that comes in pieces. I am going to have to check that out. I love all the bits and pieces on the tray. It reminds me of a grandmother's curio cabinet full of precious figurines and such. Beautiful...as always!
Happy Weekend,
Kate

Valerie-Jael said...

Very beautiful journal, love the configurations box inside, great idea. Enjoy your weekend, hugs, Valerie

Julie Lee said...

What a brilliant idea for a journal, Alison! I've always loved the idea of the 'cabinet of curiosities' and this use of the CCP printer's tray is inspired. I so love all the beautiful little 'curios' you used - and all hidden between the covers of that gorgeous journal! You never cease to inspire me!

Meggymay said...

Its a gorgeous project, I think I would be having it displayed open as well. The inside details are awesome.
Yvonne xx

Redanne said...

Oh golly, now I need to buy some of those printer trays, you are such an enabler Alison! I love your Journal/Curiosity box, your choice of papers, the lovely vintage feel.. oh, and that lost and found label and the frame on the front - wow! Love this so much!! I have something witchy going on.... Anne xxx

maj. said...

What a sensationally lovely project!!!!

Nikki Acton said...

Amazing! This is a brilliant creation... Such a great idea and wow how you have filled the tray.... Such incredible details. Totally inspiring xx

chrissie said...

Imagine opening this up and seeing all the unexpected wonders hidden inside the cover. Talking of cover it would make a great book cover as you showed it open with a wonderful story woven around the contents.

Love the words today as well

Have a great day

Chrissie xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

I'm actually lost for words....for once.....Alison. This has to be one of the most fantastical creations EVER, it's just out of this world ❤️❤️
Hugs
Donna xx

Marci said...

You have woven your magic again!

Patty O'Malley said...

Fabulous project, Alison! I love how you displayed the collection of tiny treasures.

froebelsternchen said...

I love what you have created here -- this is an absolutely masterpiece - a treasure!
♥♥♥
oxo Susi

suzyb said...

Love this little cabinet! Teeny tiny little cabinet of curiosities, every little things is just perfect for the "fit".
Thanks for sharing.

Christi Conley said...

This is spectacular! Thank you so much for sharing your process <3

Annie said...

Totally love your stunning journal cover Alison and the fabulous details within. I have enjoyed viewing the wonderful contents of your curiosities and beautifully layered collage.

TFS and sending my best wishes
Annie x

Gaby Bee said...

What a fabulous project, Alison! You always come up with the most creative ideas. Love your cabinet journal!

craftytrog said...

So beautifully decorated, and I love all of the details Alison!

SewPaperPaint said...

Incredible Alison! You always blow me away with your creative ideas and beautiful execution of them! This is spectacular! I would love to make one of these and will put that box at the top of my wish list. Hugs, Autumn

Jennie Atkinson said...

Blown away by your fabulous journal Alison. How amazing that the printers tray fits so well ! I have both a printers tray and now the die sitting here, so thank you so much for such wonderful inspiration. Your collection of Lost and Found in the tray along with all the beautifully crafted elements is just wonderful. Jennie x

Dortesjs said...

waue what a great idea with a cabinet journal, awsomw work you did on this

Dorthe said...

Oh Alison,
a treasure of wonderful tiny finds, and works, an amazing little printers tray hidden in your beautiful book cover, simple out front , yes, --but so, so lovely, --and inside a new world of tiny magic wonders. What a wonderful idea, -now you need to find place for this gorgeous art journal . Thank you for all the photos, and your beautiful story to follow them.
Hugs, Dorthe

Hazel Agnew said...

This cabinet of imagination makes me so happy Alison. The wonderful sepia tones speak to me and the combination of images refresh my desire to create something. Thankyou for your wonderful creations and the little touches that mean so much. Xx

Sue said...

Wow, I love this Alison! What a brilliant way to display your printers tray, and it's chock-full of goodies all perfectly put together. Really lovely! Have a fun week, Sue xx

Julia Aston said...

I was so happy to come visit you and find this lovely framed journal cover and the surprise of a shadow box inside Alison! And what wonderful objet trouve's inside! Love the distressed girl, the photos, frames and pretty papers! Julia xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My! This is a dream right? No, I am awake and this is the most beautiful creation ever! Hugs, Chrisx

Debbie said...

This is gorgeous! Love all the details! Thank you for sharing! How creative!

Sandy said...

Bravo Alison!! I love the "Fragments of the Soul" = well I guess a skull can be considered a fragment of one's soul - if only one could remember where one buried it!!!
Sandy xx

sarascloset said...

Oh, yes, Alison! Now this is a fantastic use of the journal cover, and something I've visualized every time I lay eyes on one of these journals! Now I know where to find the perfect sized box! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts as you take us on the tour of your shadow box filled with vintage and rusted treasures. You've created a wonderful cover, and a lovely collage, too! A real beauty--inside and out! Hugs!

Jackie PN said...

Alison, if I did not know better, I would swear this was an old vintage piece! I just love the way you added the photos to the left of the sweet vignettes! A treasure book full of tiny treasures! Fantastic!
Jackie xx

Craftyfield said...

A mini printer's tray inside a book... ohhh the possibilities!! Gorgeous inside and out, I love the collection of embellishments, like Vintage heirlooms. xx

Cocofolies said...

Fabulous cabinet of curiosities Alison!!! Also the book cover is scrumptious.
and I love the new idea-ology skulls!! :-)
Hugs, Corinne x

A Pink said...

Now this is something very Special! Alison . Such an inspired idea , executed just perfectly. I love that all your dimensional lost and found objects tell a story complimented further with the paper ephemera.
A superb work of art inside and out !
hugs x

Unknown said...

Oh my... every inch of this creation is just INCREDIBLE Alison. WOW. I am awed. Congratulations on your Top Pick for Mix It Up... so well deserved. I must go back and admire your work some more. So much to see and it's all just so WONDERFULLY placed and INTRIGUING. Really great work. XXj.

Etsuko said...

Absolutely stunning the Cabinet Journal. beautiful cover and great rust frame. The interior always has a story and it is interested. AND lace is very rare for you. xx