I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 1 March 2017

Hats Off to Distress Oxides!





Hello all and a very happy March to you!

As promised, and squeezed in between lots of other stuff, here's the Distress Oxide tag I teased you with the other day.

In between watercolours and Infusions and Destination Inspirations (Destinations Inspiration?) and I don't know what all, I shared some results from my first Distress Oxide playtime in XOX Oxides.

There's no accident in that title... I do love them, and I'm really excited to keep exploring their possibilities.

And today's title is not just about that fabulous bowler hat, but a big, congratulatory "Hats Off!" (or "Chapeau!" as the French have it, or "Klobouk dolů!" from the Czechs) to Tim Holtz for this newly developed dye/pigment fusion.
















For the central panel of this tag I used the middle background from the first photo in that post, and inked up some of the stamps I bought last year and never had time to play with during my year of many travellings.














The gears are clear embossed over Potting Soil Archival ink.

With a background like this, the clear embossing helps give the image extra definition against all the detail.













The inks in that background are a combination of Distress Oxides and Distress Stains, so that you get the opacity from the Oxides and the translucence of the Distress dye inks playing off each other.













The not-there-man is stamped in VersaMark and embossed in Bark powder by Wow.
















If you get the angle right, he shimmers delightfully in the light (a real now-you-see-him, now-you-really-don't which I like a lot).















The text stamping is just plain Potting Soil - that's fine as it belongs in the background.

I love these stamps of vintage advertisements and bits of ephemera and always, of course, text and lettering and fonts.













The "Repairs Receive Constant Attention" along the bottom definitely tickles me!  














Once I had my panel done, I decided I wanted to set it on a tag, so I created the large tag also seen in XOX Oxides.  I deliberately kept a lot more white space so that there would be a contrast between the tag and the central panel.














Then I had a lovely time playing with arranging my cogs and gears to echo those in the stamped image.  Some of them are Idea-ology; some are from a cheap job lot from China.















I used alcohol inks and Distress Paints to alter some of them for a verdigris distressed look to echo the inky panel and tag.











I used a Small Talk sticker inside my Idea-ology Label Pull.  It's been slightly stained with Pumice Stone Distress Stain so that it wouldn't be too glaringly white inside there.












I enjoyed creating a little chainful of adornments to hang from the Hitch Fastener.

I usually use these as doorknobs or folder fasteners, so it's fun to do something different.














I love how it looks layered over the cog.













Again, the alcohol inks and Distress Paints came in handy to create the weathered metal look on the numbers, whether it's on the figure 3...














... or the smaller figure 2 (I mean it's smaller in size as well as in value - it's one of the Idea-ology Mini Numerals, as opposed to the larger Numerals which have those helpful holes pre-drilled).












So that's one of my first little plays with Distress Oxides turned into a tag.  And it was such fun playing with all those Tim Holtz stamps and bits and bobs.

Tim and his Distress Inks really were at the heart of the start of my crafty journey, so it's really exciting having new Distress ingredients to add to the mix.

There's a new and very special challenge due to start at A Vintage Journey on Friday, so I'll hope to see you again soon.  Happy crafting all!






There is an interest in that which is hidden and which the visible does not show us. This interest can take the form of a quite intense feeling, a sort of conflict, one might say, between the visible that is hidden and the visible that is present.
Rene Magritte (talking about his painting The Son of Man which features a man in a bowler hat with his face hidden by an apple)

The timing is just too perfect, so I'd like to play along at my old stamping ground Country View Challenges where the theme is Inspired by Tim Holtz

37 comments:

Helen said...

I have a few of these on pre-order (waiting impatiently!) they do look fabulous, and I love your tag.

Amanda said...

Looks stunning, I can't wait to play with mine sadly work commitments stopping my play time but fab inspiration and endorsement
Love
Amanda x

Dortesjs said...

waue love this thanks for all the photos ;O))

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is fantastic, alison, you have sold me on the oxides and i love the patina effect you have created. I love how you embossed the not there man; it works really well,

Lucy x

Redanne said...

I think this might just be my favourite tag of all time Alison, I love that stamp set and it looks wonderful atop the Oxides. The aged numbers look fantastic, as do the other embellishments. A stunning tag! I really do need to unwrap my Oxides and have a play... Anne xx

chrissie said...

A wonderful tag Alison and the backgrounds fits perfectly with everything else that you added.

The Magritte quote is so thought provoking and has me thinking about something along those lines. Not sure what I will come up with

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

craftytrog said...

Your tag looks fab Alison, great effects! Not tempted to buy more inks though. :-)
Alison

Nan G said...

What a glorious tag! You really rocked those Oxide inks Alison!

Candy C said...

Beautiful Alison! Your tag is really a nice piece of art! Love your background. I've yet to try the oxides...but you've made them look amazing! Love the design of your tag and the dangling metal pieces. Those are always so much fun!

SewPaperPaint said...

XOX is right! I totally want to hug and kiss and hug you for creating such beauty! ;0 Tee hee... What remarkable texture you achieved on these flat surfaces. I love the clear embossing. Gorgeous! Super and creative project. Hugs, Autumn

maj. said...

Totally stunning, such an amazing beautiful background!!!

Willy said...

Wow beautiful tag, love the effect!

Meggymay said...

Absolutely fabulous. Those new inks are on my wish list after reading your post.
Yvonne xx

Marci said...

Your tag is beautiful, I love the patina look.

Paper Profusion said...

Oh darn! Im just going to have to go buy myself some oxides!! Love all that you have going on here...everything looks fab! Nicola x

Etsuko said...

It's a very fantastic tag and great worked for the Distress Oxides Alison, the colours effected so beautiful. I like the embossing your style and these Brim-Brin. xx

Jackie PN said...

Gorgeous gorgeous and more gorgeous!
I love those Oxides as well, and my order should be here today or tomorrow!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful makes Alison, and for helping me find new supplies to buy! heeheee
hugs,Jackie xx

Dorthe said...

A gorgeous " Nowhere man " piece- Alison, makes me think of The Beatles ,lol.-so amazing background with the new materials, mixed with old ones, and your adds of numbers and pieces makes it a WOW !!
Dorthe, xoxo

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Such a stunning tag Alison, I'm lucky to have got my inky hands on some Oxides and they are soooo lush aren't they
hugs
Donna xx

Annie said...

a fabulous tag Alison x Love the new Distress Oxides though I was not sure at first and had to watch Tim 's demo again! Wonderful layers of ink and great details and embellishments too.

Apologies for my lack of visits just been so busy xxx
Take care
Annie xx

Rika said...

stunning tag, beautiful colours and design.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Waiting for mine to arrive - having to seen this wonderful result of your playtime I feel very impatient now! Hugs, Chrisx

Julia said...

Ooh, doesn't that look good! Love that embossed potting soil sitting on top of the oxides background. It is a great tag. x

Deb said...

Oh you lucky girl, you have Distress Oxides to play with! Still waiting (impatiently I might add!) on mine. Gorgeous Alison, I love that amazing background and you have embellished it perfectly with the Potting Soil stamping and all those lovely verdigrised embellishments. Thanks so much for sharing this amazing tag, can't wait to play! Deb xo

rachel said...

lots of lovely playing going on here. The distress oxides look fabulous. I love the background and the stamping lots wonderful. Brilliant! Hugs rachel x

Sandy said...

Wow!!! What else can I say - the colors you have achieved by mixing the oxides with the Distress stains really look splendid - fabulous color!
I also really love the chain full of adornments hanging from the Hitch Fastener. Wonderful addition!
Sandy xx

Craftyfield said...

Fabulous Vintage/Steampunk tag. Love the elements (I pricked my ears at cheap lot of gears since I can never bring myself to actually use the expensive Ideology ones...) and the Oxides background of course.
Love the inks too and I need more!

Julia Aston said...

a beautifully designed and executed tag Alison! love the mix of Distress Oxide and paint and Distress inks and all the perfectly placed metals and stampings! I have 3 Oxides and ordered the rest - but still haven't played! Julia xx

Monika Gulyas said...

What a great masculine tag, Alison!!! You created a fabulous background with the new oxide inks! Interesting settling of the metal elements! Thank you for joining the March challenge of the Country View Challenges blog!

Mrs.B said...

I've just ordered my set and after seeing your play and make, I can't wait for them to arrive. Fabulous tag, love the design and details.
Avril xx

Neet said...

Absolutely stunning. You have used them so perfectly - am sure Mr Holtz will be delighted with what you have produced.
Hugs, Neet xx

Craftyfield said...

Back to thank you for entering your gorgeous tag in our Country View challenge this month!

Kirsten said...

GORGEOUS tag!!! I am so looking forward to getting my hands on Distress Oxides......

Unknown said...

I'm a bit behind in the rush - hope this is a correct way to express my feelings! if not, don't hesitate to correct me if you have time! :-) -
but such an enormous pleasure to read you and look at all the pics and details..
Stunning tag Alison!!!!
WOW! :) xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Really love what you have achieved with the Distress Oxides. Such a gorgeous mix of colours and a fabulous finish. And of course, wonderful embellishments and overstamping. Just wonderful! x

A Pink said...

So happy to see your stunning tag is a top 3 winner at CVC Alison . Congratulations -greatly deserved .x

sarascloset said...

Well, Alison, it looks like I missed this one, but so good to see your tag now in all it's glory! What a beautiful Tim influence make! Congratulations on your top pick at Country View--so well deserved! I think you've made Tim proud! Hugs!