I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 27 October 2016

Watercolour Doodles

Hello all, and thank you for stopping by.  I'm so glad you enjoyed wandering amongst the meadow flowers and in the birch forest with me (the forest is one of my favourites too, I think).  I'm here with some more flowers and trees today, but these are all my own work.  And for once there are no words!


As most of you know, I've been playing with watercolour paints here in Columbus, and these are some of my experiments with no stamps or stencils involved.






I'm still working in the tiny Moleskine journal, 3x5 inches, so these are small doodles.  The Moleskine pages are not watercolour paper, so there's not quite as much play from the paints as you get if you've got the right substrate.

And while I do like playing with the Koh-i-noor travel set, I do find the colours a little too vibrant generally... not quite to my tastes.












I've some watercolour paints at home which are in colour tones slightly more suited to my vintage preferences, but for now I'm happy to live with the vivid shades.


I've no idea what species either the trees or the flowers are - they're taken from my imagination, not from life!













I did a little bit of pen work for the detail of the stamens, a little definition in the grassy stems, and for the border around the edges.













I think maybe I liked the flower page better before I doodled the frame...















... and I also think maybe I prefer the flowers before I added the details.  I don't know, what do you think?













Trees have always been one of my doodles in idle moments - as I said in the birch tree post, I find them to be a source of mental nourishment.

Just looking at a tree can bring a sense of peace and proportion.  They have an ancient wisdom and a serenity.













The detail work here is all done with paint and waterbrush - no penwork this time.  As I mentioned with the birches, the Pentel waterbrushes have a very fine point, so you can get some pretty good detail with the thinnest of the set of three.













And I enjoyed creating the ground for these two trees to stand on - with a rocky area and even a pond amongst the grasses.













I really ought to try to capture some of the autumn foliage in the pages of my journal before I leave here - it's starting to look very impressive on campus.








It's strange how different it feels sharing something where I've made all the marks - a little bit scary.  But Craftyblogland feels like a safe place to make these creative experiments - so I'm always happy to hear what you think, and thank you for your visit.

Water supports all our endeavours, from the simple task of making paint flow, to sustaining life. It is the common denominator that all humanity shares.
Sharon Crosbie

40 comments:

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW Alison, traumhaft schön *schwärm*

Begeisterte Grüße
von Anke

Helen said...

I love these trees! I love them with and without the doodling... so maybe recreate a page without and you can have both!

brenda said...

Just beautiful Alison, love the colours as they remind me of Spring, my favoutire time of year.

B x

Chrissy said...

Fantastic artwork Alison..I love the colours..the beautiful greens and that blue with the flowers stands out perfectly..brilliant.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I am not talented in art, but I have been told I have very good taste in art. I just enjoy seeing the creativity in others. You are very talented. :)

Jane said...

Really beautiful artwork Alison....such lovely colours...I really like how vibrant they are xx

chrissie said...

Two very beautiful pages Alison and it is good to see how your mind just wandered over the pages and created such beauty. Maybe that is why you like the flowers better before you added the extras. I think the real you maybe is the one without the additions.

Great 'words' today as well.

Hope all is still going well with the play.

Love Chrissie xx

Hazel Agnew said...

Thankyou for sharing your experiments with watercolouring. It's so freeing and you have obviously engaged with life's experiences to create these little works of art. Would love to see more Alison. How about some autumn colours!

craftytrog said...

Really beautiful artwork Alison! It would be lovely to see your Autumnal interpretation too, the trees are looking wonderful here too.

Redanne said...

Well, I wish I could do watercolour work like this! I actually love the flowers with the definition added and the doodled frame really draws the eye in so I think that is my preference. The trees are beautiful and you really got some wonderful definition in the branches, the little pond is a lovely addition. Anne x

Neet said...

Hi Alison
I like this new you. I really like your watercolouring, especially those trees. Now you have given me an idea as I am sure I have a couple of tiny Moleskins - so see you are an inspiration.
Off to see what else you have been doing.
Hugs, Neet xx

Marci said...

I like the trees best. They have a looser look, maybe? Great experiments, both of them.

Cestina said...

I too like the frame around the flowers. The trees are lovely, so spring-like. Yes please to autumn colours. Even here there are some "Oh look at those!" moments of delight....xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

You are so talented. This needs to be framed. LOVE your trees!

SewPaperPaint said...

You are doing great, the fluidity is perfect! Love these pages and happy to see you creating. Hugs, Autumn

Annie said...

Absolutely fabulous Alison............can't believe you were just playing as this is fantastic. Love the beautiful colours on the flowers and amazing trees. TFS and best wishes
Annie xx

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison,
I love your pages, and especially your trees are fabulous, so alive, and yes I also prefer your flower page without the doodle frame , but the little details are beautiful, I think. So very lovely!!!
Hugs,Dorthe

Sandy said...

Really Alison? There should be NO words - your art work stands alone.
Talent is like a plate of good cookies - you are supposed to share it. Now come on Alison, don't make me beg. It's high time you shared your talent with me. Just blow some magic in a bottle and send it across the pond! When do you go home?
Sandy xx

froebelsternchen said...

Just so beautiful Alison!♥♥♥

Susi

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your imagination serves you well Alison! I love both of these! Love the ground they are on!! Hugs, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

Wow, these two pages are awesome. If I had to choose it would be the flowers, but I won't. Those trees look lovely as well. The colours may not be what you prefer, but these results are beautiful.
Yvonne xx

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous experiments in watercolour, the colours are gorgeous as are your imaginary flowers and trees, they look amazing. Xxx

Etsuko said...

Beautiful sketches, I love the trees these are great painting. xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Beautiful artwork Alison x

Lys said...

I always thought the best images come from our imagination. Lucky (and so free!) you to be able to translate them on paper, in such a fabulous way!

Paper Profusion said...

I'm soooo impressed too Alison!! These are BEAUTIFUL!! I wish I could produce results like this! Prefer your flowers without the frame (they seem more free) but definitely like the detailing. Hope your time away is going wonderfully for you. I'm sorry to have been MIA over recent weeks - life etc! Nicola x

Deb said...

Beautiful Alison, you have such a talent and eye for colour, keep it up and please keep sharing! Deb xo

Barbara said...

You're absolutely a super talented woman! Stunning work! barbara

Sophie said...

Wie wundervoll, diese vielen Grün-Töne.
Nun, wo hier grade alle Bäume und Sträucher Braun und Gelb werden
Ein wohltuender Anblick, ein ganz besonderes Geschenk für meine Seele.

Dankeschön
Sophie

Jackie PN said...

Alison, you and your art are just amazing, Oh and your words are just as fabulous! I always feel so relaxed and "zen" when I am reading your posts, as if you are reading them to me! On to your watercolors,so lovely! I think I like the flowers either way,and i do like the doodle around them especially next to the trees with none-my opinion of course! ") Yes, do paint some fall foliage, the colors are stunning this time of the year!
hugs,Jackie xx

maj. said...

Beautiful, stunning artwork Alison!!!!

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, look at those pages! What a clever lady you are. It is a little weird looking at your work with no words on the page but these beautiful watercolours need no words at all. They are beautiful.

Gio said...

Wonderful scenery, Alison. Those trees are gorgeous!

Kasia said...

Great pages! Love these beautiful trees :)

Cocofolies said...

Wow, this is really gorgeous!!!
I love especially the right side page.. But not because there was no details added I think, just because your trees and the whole scenelit look really wonderful. xx

Evelyn Walter said...

wow, Alison, you are so talented! I love your watercolor painting! My favourites are your trees, although your flowers are looking great too.
xxx Evelyn

Mary Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous trees and flowers Alison. This is definitely a place to stretch your creative wings. The watercolor flowers have an ethereal feel to them. And those trees ... your connection to them as a place of peace is evident in what you created here. I love them. Wonderful free-hand sketches. -- ME

Diana Taylor said...

Beautiful, beautiful paintings - I love the dash of blue for the flowers and the little pen details - it all works for me! The trees are fab too, so vibrant and sunny.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Ah.... These pages make me happy, especially the page with the trees.

experiments in paper said...

Lovely play with your water colors! You've a definite eye for shape and dimension - somethingI am trying to gain! Beautiful work - thanks for sharing, and look forward to seeing more!! xxx Lynn