I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 1 September 2015

Make Today Count




Hello all and welcome to September... I know, the year seems to be flying, doesn't it?  Well, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you make each day count.  And this month at Country View Challenges we're definitely trying to do that as the theme this month is Numbers, chosen by the wonderful Nikki.

There are lots of fabulous numerical projects from my team-mates over at the blog, and as usual there will be more creations to inspire you throughout the month there, so do pop in every now and then.

My first offering this month is a tag which continues my obsession with a particular trio of the new Distress colours - Twisted Citron, Mermaid Lagoon and Hickory Smoke.  (It was made before the arrival of the Ground Espresso - my new top favourite!)  I used them on my August Tim tag, and for Tag Friday at A Vintage Journey, and now they're back again...







I'd smeared some leftover crackle paint randomly onto a tag, so I applied my three colours over that - just blending and smooshing them on - and did a bit of number stamping with a Tim stamp and the Mermaid Lagoon too.













I added more crackle paste through the numbers of the Cargo layering stencil and let it dry.










And then it was just a question of gathering lots of highly numerical ephemera to collage together.

The odds and snippets are mainly from the Idea-ology Pocket Cards (I was singing their praises recently, and I've not changed my tune yet).










I tried to find as many number-related pieces as I could, including the clock (with added metal hands)...














... ticket stubs and calendars and price lists...














... and there's also some of the tape measure tissue tape underneath it all.












I'm sure the young woman here is doing her very best to make every day count, determined to meet each new challenge with a smile on her face.













There are some little spritzed Calico Craft Parts butterflies - not sure why, but then why not?!  I think there was a little echo in my brain of that wonderful Rabindranath Tagore quote: The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.











The topping is another current favourite - crinkle ribbon, linen ribbon and some wired thread to finish it off.











With all the calendar references, times and dates, I think the 31 is probably signifying the longest months of the year, of which August certainly seemed to be one for me - horrid weather and heavy work schedules.










I was certainly counting the hours by the end of it, whilst still trying to make each of them count.  I have to say I'm delighted finally to be kicking off a new month now - and one where I should have a bit more time to myself.

I hope you'll find time to check out what my team-mates have been up to, and to come and count Numbers along with us at Country View Challenges.  You'll be in with a chance at the prize voucher from our generous sponsor, Country View Crafts.









My Steampipe Glampunk Plaque over at Calico Crafts didn't get much of a look-in time-wise, so I just wanted to put in a quick shout out for it again here…  and now I'll leave you in peace, I promise - except for hopefully managing to do some visiting this week once all the crafty deadlines are met!

I'll see you out there....

Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.
Albert Einstein

With my obsessive trio of Hickory Smoke, Twisted Citron and Mermaid Lagoon, I'd like to enter this into the Trio of Colours at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

34 comments:

brenda said...

As always a super creation Alison with your usual attention to detail.

B x

Mary Elizabeth said...

I love that background ... what you can do with leftovers just leaves me speechless:) I really love the added stamping in Mermaid Lagoon. I love what it does to add to the depth (with the texture) of the background. That layer of crackled numbers atop that ... marvelous. I can see why you might be all about time and ticket numbers. Sounds like August was tough. Here is wishing you a few days of quiet solitude to recover, rest and reconnect with You! Thanks so much for the info on tissue paper. I want to try that technique. Love this tag!! Hope to play along this month. Numbers ... hmm ... right up my alley. Hugs -- ME

Brenda Brown said...

Love the crackle and layers, a fabulous numbers tag and yes we must try to make every day count. hugs xxx

Doreen said...

This is just perfect,love the colours and your fab style.xxx

Corrie Herriman said...

You are the queen of crackle Alison ! Fantastic as usual !
Corrie x

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW love the textural elements...the crackle is Especially gorgeous
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Daniele said...

this definitely has the wow factor Brenda, love the crackle effect
hugs x

Maelchen said...

Hello my dear Alison. There I am again at last... Do you still remember me? I am one of your faithful followers whose faith has not stretched to the comment section, unfortunately... Life came in the way... We have been hosting a family of fugitives from Syria for two weeks and I must say, it is working out well. So much to learn from each other and so little to take for granted of those things who seem so natural and obvious... In my tradition and culture...
Anyway, I have still been following your journey and I am in awe of you being such a busybee, working full time and still finding the muse to craft such exquisite pieces as this tag (for example)... This is you... Layering and layering, bits and pieces, everything with a meaning, hidden and still obvious... I repeat myself in saying that I not only love the artistic outcome on the surface which in itself is arty enough... But all those spiritual layers you plant into such a little piece of paper such as a tag are reason enough to dig into the images. One by one... My visits to you are often two-sided. On one hand I leave your blog full with inspiration and the urge to get to my craft table immediately. On the other hand I really feel intimidated by the deepness and richness of your work... Which is meant as a compliment, my dear! Anyway. This time I feel so inspired again that I am off to my work table... Or maybe I shouldn't? Would I be able to create something with meaning now?.... You see... Two spirits in my chest... And too much Syrian yummy food in my stomach...
I think I will leave you now, dear Alison, before my silly musings get out of hand!
I was happy to see you hear again and will be visiting again soon! Have a nice evening!
Hugs from Manu

Helen said...

One of my favourites! Love all the many numerical elements you've pulled together on this tag, Alison. xx

Ruth said...

Wonderful work again, at least I've caught up a bit....so talented! Ruth x

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous textures and colours, this one sure has the Wow factor.
Yvonne xx

Hettie said...

This is beautiful Alison. Love the layers. Might have to borrow some of this for MIL's card next year...her birthday was yesterday - 31st!! The photo could be her in her earlier years!!
Now what's this about you coming to my patch then?
Hugs
xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous Alison! Lovin' all the crackle detail! Stunning!

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous, love the colours and all that crackle looks wonderful. So many little details too.
Avril xx

Monika Gulyas said...

Lovely collage, nice crackles, great colours!!!

Deborah Wainwright said...

This looks wonderful Alison. The colours are fabulous and a great design with the emphera. love it! Hugs Debs xx

Nikki Acton said...

I want to reach out and touch it! What a great colour combo Alison and such wonderful textures and composition. A stunner. X

Hazel Agnew said...

Love your crackly starting point, I have trouble making my crackle crackle! Anyone can assemble ephemera, but somehow you make it look like it evolved! Great sentiment! Thankyou for your kind comments on my blog which are much appreciated! Xx

Candy C said...

Beautiful tag, Alison. The colors and texture provide such a beautiful background. I love all your stenciling and crackling. The added collaged photo and other ephemera all work so perfectly together. Just beautiful and the sentiment is the perfect compliment for the clock. Winderful tutorial, too. Your work always fascinates me.

Jennie Atkinson said...

Stunning Alison! Fabulous crackly textures and such a gorgeous mix of colours. A great numbers piece! Jennie x

Sandy said...

Wonderful - Alison you are a very good designer. I don't need You Tube when all I have to do is go through your blog to find all kinds of good things and how to make them. Thanks for the journey kid.
My days are going by so fast they are hard to count!!!
Sandy xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE this Alison! LOVE the crackled texture throughout! LOVE the girl too. Gorgeous tag!

craftytrog said...

Glad you didn't waste that fabulous crackle Alison! Your tag is a stunner! xx

Julia Aston said...

I just love the background of your tag with the crackle and wonderful mix (of your fav!) colors - a lovely mix of ephemera and pretty mix of fibers looped through the top! Julia xx

Sue said...

Beautiful Alison, this is another colour combo that I will have to try xx

Margik said...

Fantastic tag with a great background! The crackle and colours are fabulous. I love it, Alison! Mar xx

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous tag, the crackle looks great & i love the colours.

Rika said...

Beautiful tag!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Certainly a beautiful colour combination, a lovely zingy freshness to it which suits the photo booth image of the female perfectly.
Wishes
Lynne

Anna-Karin said...

Such a beautiful tag Alison! Love the wonderful background texture and all those ephemera pieces. Great sentiments and words as always. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

Vintagehandmade said...

How I love your tags, Alison! All I want to do is to touch that stunner! Brilliant make! Branka x

Deb said...

Beautiful tag Alison, I do love that colour palette! Perfect accumulation of time related ephemera pieces and the butterfly was a wonderful addition in reference to that beautiful Tagore quote. Thanks so much for sharing it! Deb xo

pearshapedcrafting said...

FABulous! Good advice in your words too! Chrisx

Jackie PN said...

Simply Beautiful,with such lovely words to keep close at heart. xoxo