I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 3 October 2015

Underneath the Undertaker's






Hello all!

Well, this is a post I didn't expect to be posting, but when I saw Tim's spooktacular October tag, inspiration struck and I had to act... immediately!

In fact, I made it on day one, in a fever of activity, as soon as I saw the post.  I delayed sharing this by a couple of days just to let my Vintage Journey journalling pages have a fair crack of the whip!

I don't have the 3D Halloween monsters which Tim used as the centrepiece for his tag, but my brain went straight to work on what I have that could be deployed three-dimensionally.  The answer it came up with even had a Halloween slant - the Rickety House of course.















And you can see where that got me... to a tag which even slightly spooked me out as I was creating it, when I discovered what the undertaker keeps under his floorboards!

It appears to be full of gloom, but also has a metallic shimmer, so in the sunlight it's slightly ghostly - definitely one to avoid when you're trick or treating.  But we'll get to the macabre secrets of the undertaker's house soon enough. 









I started, as Tim does (you'll find all the making-of details over at his blog) with some wrinkle-free distress technique.  My colours include Hickory Smoke, Blueprint Sketch, Wilted Violet, Stormy Sky and Black Soot, as well as some Brushed Pewter and a couple of spritzes of Pewter Perfect Pearls into the bargain.









I cut the Rickety House out of the paler inky sheet (it's done on Mixed Media cardstock) and then drew around it onto the dark inky sheet and handcut a solid version of the house, with no windows and doors.

I made a dimensional fold to form the corner of the house, and the reverse fold in the background house.











Before gluing the edges together, I thought the house needed some inhabitants...

Meet James Fallon, undertaker (a.k.a. Edgar Allan Poe) - a stern and sinister looking type, particularly when he catches you peering in through the window at him.











Upstairs is a rather sad and lonely looking woman.  His wife?  Is she imprisoned up there?  Or merely a prisoner of her marriage?  I have to say, I rather fear for her future, as will you when you've explored further.











I used some paper from the French Industrial stash which had gloomy clouds flitting across its surface.  I've added quite a lot of stamping as well as the inky blottings from the stencil.

There are the Deaths notices providing textured detail.













The spiders loom large, whether dangling on threads of gossamer...
















... or waiting in ominous stillness on their cobwebs.














Oh, and I forgot to warn you - don't try sneaking around the back of the house either.













It's not only that the skull is keeping a beady eye on you from on top of his crossbones... 

... but you might just bump into something big and hairy round there!













Obviously I needed a floor for my little 3D house, so I cut up two wooden coffee stirrers, glued them together and stained them with Black Soot Distress Stain.













You may be thinking that the boards are a little uneven... small wonder when you realise that they must have been taken up and nailed down again more than once.










Just look what's buried underneath them!

I can only imagine that those jumbled bones are the relics of previous marriages...













Or perhaps Mr Fallon likes to keep a SOUVENIR of each burial he undertakes.  Either way, I think you would do best to steer well clear of this particular Rickety House, especially after dark.







A spidery jumble of black paper string winds its way around the crinkle ribbon, and we're done.













Another fantastic couple of hours of fun inspired by Tim Holtz - thank you for that, Tim.

And thank you to all of you for your company and your wonderful comments.  It's a joy reading them.  I'm off on my travels again this week - workshops in Norway which should be fun - but I hope I'll have some time to come visiting nonetheless.

Let us endeavour so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain (not this one Mark, I don't think so, no)

Houses are not haunted.  We are haunted, and regardless of the architecture with which we surround ourselves, our ghosts stay with us until we ourselves are ghosts.
From Velocity by Dean Koontz






I'd like to enter this as my October tag in Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2015
There's stamping and stencilling and a 3D version of the Rickety House, so I'd also like to play along at Stamps and Stencils in their Make It 3D challenge

72 comments:

Sue Jones said...

Wow this is Spooktacular !! Love it :)

sam21ski said...

What a fantastic idea - love it xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Alison, this is brilliant, I love it. Happy crafting, Angela x

Fliss said...

Wow Alison! This is stunning! An amazing background and a great take on Tim's tag. I'm hoping to do this one too but am awaiting something to do it with!
Fliss xx

Redanne said...

Oh Alison this is just fantastic! I love spook, I love Halloween, I love EAP and I love your tag, it is a wonderful (ingenius) interpretation of Tim's tag... Anne xx

Julia said...

"From Ghosties and Ghoulies and long legged beasties ......", your tag is fabulous.
Julia x

sally said...

Had a good giggle reading your tag story! A great entry for Tims Tags, I am itching to get home & crafty again....


Sally

Amanda said...

Brilliant!! Just love the narrative. I am left wanting though I need to investigate, obviously in daylight, who those poor souls under the floorboards might be, there are families somewhere who have love ones that have never returned home. They probably stare out of their windows watching, waiting for them to just walk up their paths and open their front doors, I think we need to find closure for them?
Workshops? Work or craft? Enjoy regardless I'd love to Ho yo Norway.
Love
Amanda x

Evelyn Walter said...

Wow, dear Alison, this is amaaazing!! Can´t stop looking and find always new little scaring details. What a stunner!

Meggymay said...

Absolutely fantastic, I loved reading todays post and the house looks awesome with super details.
Yvonne xx

Words and Pictures said...

They're work workshops, but I get a week in Norway - and again in November - so I'm not complaining! Ax

rachel said...

so very spooky alison - definitely spooktacular - love it to pieces!! Hoping to make mine soon - will have to see how things work out! Thanks for the inspiration!! hugs rachel x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Fantastic! So creepy! I love the way you did the house. Genius! Lx

Nan G said...

A creepily awesome haunted house Butterfly! I love your narratives that go with all of your makes. Enjoy your travels, don't work too hard. Hugs

Monika Gulyas said...

What a good idea to use the rickety house for the October tag! You made it perfectly 3D! The look of Edgar Allan Poe behind the window is so intense and spooky :-)

maria's knutselplezier said...

What an amazing art work, great tag , great 3D effect and very spooky , but I love it!!!

Greetings
MAria

Valerie-Jael said...

Amazing tag, love all the spooky details, hug, Valerie

catherine said...

This is another amazing project from you Alison and I just love it. You are so creative.

x catherine

Jenny Marples said...

Fantastic idea Alison! Isn't it great when something pops into your head fully formed and works out so brilliantly! Jenny x

Helen said...

oh Alison, how spooky and scary is this house!! A fantastic interpretation of the October tag, it's brilliant. Have a great time in Norway, hope you may get time to photograph some of it as well as working hard which I am sure you will be!

chrissie said...

Love the tag and the story about the undertaker and his wife. Lots of great ideas in this small space and what a wonderful way to make something 3D :)

Hope you get to see lots of Norway scenery it is so beautiful. I went about 20 years ago but I am sure the scenery is still there though lots of other things will have changed for sure.

Enjoy the trip

Love Chrissie xx

Kath Stewart said...

fabulous adapt and overcome project...definitely one house to avoid on Halloween....hugs kath xxx

Mrs.B said...

Absolutely stunning and so spooky with all those extra stamping details ( I much prefer your version of the October tag)
Hope you manage some 'fun' time in Norway, it's a beautiful country.
Avril xx

Unknown said...

Fabulous tag! Beautifully spooky, great colours and the house is great! Xx

Kirsten said...

You are an artistic genius!!! This is a wonderful tag.

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Oh blimey Alison, you should be a storyteller! I absolutely love this tag, it's so deliciously spooky and if it doesn't win Octobers tag then I shall have a word with Tim lol. I think this is probably my favourite make of yours this year too ;)
Impressed hugs
Donna xxx

Claudia N. said...

Haven't seen Tim's tag yet, but yours is spooktacular! Love it!
Claudia x

Jackie PN said...

OhMy!! Off to Norway?! have a most wonderful travel!!

Alison, you were creeping me out as I read your tale you wove about the sinister doings behind this tag! heehee Thank you for sharing the fun! A very creepy and cool tag-one in the same!
safe travels! xo

froebelsternchen said...

This is EXTRAORDINARY super dear Alison!
Happy Sunday!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

WOW!!! Great take on his theme. This is FANTASTIC!!!

Lisa Minckler said...

Freaking ominous, this tag!! WOW! It actually does look creepy when you find images peering back at you and leave it to you to put a miniature house on a tag, WITH a rickety floor board and concealed items of things or people gone by. It's a work of macabre art that I applaud. I just love it to pieces....
Happy travels and safe return to more crafting :)
hugs,
Lisa x

Margik said...

Absolutely outstanding! This tag is really creative, the spooky house is a great take on the Tim's tag.
Mar xx

Julia Aston said...

Or COURSE you would make a tiny house for your tag Alison! How spooky, delightful and totally clever! Your story got the goosebumps up as you detailed each section of the undertakers abode. LOVE it!!! Julia xx

Dorthe said...

Oh Alison, I love your story , what a playful fantasy you have :-) and that home of mysterie, is fantastic, ...and can I say, so much more interesting and gorgeous, than whatTim created !!!
Everything is here,- the very spooky feeling, the evil man, and worried sick, woman, the poor ones already burried, but surely materializing at night, and the greedy spiders!!
An amazing card , in colours and all !!
Dorthe, xx

Sandy said...

There are not adequate words in my vocabulary Alison to express the majesty of the this horrific make. You have won the award of the year!!!!! I am convinced that Mr. Fallon is not related to Mr. Poe at all. And Mr. Poe is quite handsome. Just because Mr. Poe could write horrid stories doesn't mean he didn't have a kind and loving heart. And perhaps he was quite a good lover and his wife was extremely pleased. I know for a fact that they took long and romantic walks through many an old cemetery. Now that you have my Boo Bones rattling, I had better try to make a tag.
Your black witch friend -

Sandy said...

Oh safe travels .. do you need my broom?

Paula Cheney said...

AWESOME!!!!

Lys said...

I always love your stories, Alison! this one is so spectacular, with the details under the floor...!! What a genius idea this 3D house!

Juliz Design Post said...

What a brainwave Alison this is fantastically spooky and eerie, love it.
Julie x

Corrie Herriman said...

Wow, fantabulous ! I am still struggling as I don't own the monsters die either... Will have to have a look in my stash to see what I can use !
Corrie x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Aaaaaagh!!! and Oooooh! Spookily fantastic Alison! I would say I love your fabulous details but that would be to admit that I am coming round to enjoying Halloween!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Willy said...

Wow this is so beautiful, love all the little details!!!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

The rickety house is absolutely amazing! Love it so much and the way it immediately sets the scene. Great colours and as always, your attention to detail.
Wishes
Lynne

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Seeing that face in the window creeped me out! LOVE that it opens! Most excellent take!!!

sarascloset said...

Oh, my, Alison! You really had me creeped out, mainly by the shadows! Loved the story, love the buried bones under the floorboards! My what a creepy mind you have (that's a good thing). Magnificent take on Tim's tag! And oh, so early! Hugs!

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh my Alison! What a spooktacular tag! Great take on Tim's challenge!

Unknown said...

You are on a roll, Alison!! A simply AMAZING take on Tim's tag--look at you go!! Fabulous use of the rickety house die, turning it all 3D and such! I love seeing my fav American Goth peeking through the windows on the first floor and dare that be the ghost of his dearly departed wife sadly peering out those upper windows? Oooohhh, so spooky! I'm calling this now--WINNER!! XOXO-Shari

Deborah said...

So inventive, Alison. Mr Holtz's tag might look good but yours in a masterpiece of 'mystery and imagination' !

Astrid Maclean said...

Fab and creative take on the original! Super colour choices too!

Unknown said...

Oooh ooh ooh, so in love! What a gorgeous, fabulously spooky creation! That house is just jaw dropping xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

You always succeed in creating different looks for your creations...another stunner Alison!
Hugs, Alie

craftytrog said...

Fabulously spooky Alison! xxx

Shirley said...

You are just totally uber talented Alison love the tag.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Adventures in Paperland said...

I love the tag but the story is brilliant Alison. You do have a flair for words and pictures. :)

Hettie said...

I absolutely love and adore this tag. The story behind it, the layers and hidden things. It is a gem. I was desperately trying to leave a comment last night, but kept getting bombed out. Naughty Blogger.
Actually I can tell you something funny related to this. Our home was formerly owned by a funeral director and when Hubby was little he used to find all sorts of strange vases which his mother threw out. They would be worth a small fortune now. Also, he used lovely narrow wood to make the floor upstairs!! Not the usual floorboard width!! Beautiful quality which is not B&Q quality either!!
Hugs
xx

Beulah Bee said...

Super!

Terry said...

Love the 3-D effect in your haunted house! Alison, the story and all the wonderful layers makes this one spooky treat. I love the cold colors of darkness, so fun!

Akast said...

This is fantastic!!!! It's ingenious how you made the house 3-d and how you show beneath the floor to the skeletons. I also love how you put portraits behind the windows of the house. This is one of my favorite Halloween tags I've seen so far this year.

Gio said...

It's really stunning! I love love the 3d layering, so brilliant!

Etsuko said...

Stunning, really spooky the tag Alison!! I love the peeping man.xx

Candy C said...

Alison...this tag is just brilliant! I love how you've used Tim's Rickety Old House in such a dimensional way! Ol' Edgar and that sort of haunting woman's portrait peering out the windows are a very touch touch of creepy! haha Your colors you've used on your background really enhance the haunting style for this tag and I love the added random stamping. The floor planks are a genius transition out of the 3D house! Love it all!

Deb said...

Oh my gosh, you are absolutely brilliant! The floorboards and the underlying skeletons are the piece de resistance, definitely nominating your tag as one of Tim's October winners, it is awe-mazing! Deb xo

experiments in paper said...

Oh my gosh, Alison - Norway??!!! Wowsers!! Can't wait to hear more about that! In the meantime, this is absolutely fabulous - I love how houses stimulate your imagination to such wonderful effects in your repertoire of makes. Always so fun to read about and poke around - your photos provide a great tour! Can't wait to get to my craft table..... and hoping to get a much-needed nudge in the right direction while here at Art is You in Stamford, CT with Marjie Kemper and Lesley Venable....can't go wrong with these two, lol! xxx Lynn

Unknown said...

This 3D haunted house tag is amazing! The background is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Julie Lee said...

Hi Alison, you're really nailing spooky at the moment! I really admire the truly eeire colour palette - subtle and vintage, rather than lurid greens and oranges. I love this almost as much as your Nosferatu, which was fantastic! I love how dimensional it is and the details are so effective. Loving the background too. Your house is going to look perfect for Halloween. xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

So much awesome! This just tickles me all the way to my bones, which I'm happy to report are not rotting away under the floorboards!

toni said...

Oooooooo! Wonderfully creative piece Alison! Fantastic 3d crafting on your spooky house, love the image staring out! And gorgeous backgrounds too! Thank you for joining our 3d challenge at Stamps and Stencils. Toni xx

Shelly Hickox said...

Your tag is such a brilliant interpretation of Tim's - I love it!! I didn't think I'd try this month's, but maybe I will after seeing yours. :)

A Pink said...

Fantastic take on Tims tag! Alison so Original x

Julia S-W said...

Absolutely love your dimensional tag Alison - in all its' spooky glory! Wonderful colour palette and that scary face peeking out of the window just tells a story with one glance. Thanks so much for joining us at Stamps & Stencils. Julia xx

M!R said...

Wow!!! Wow!!! And Wow again!!!
It's a masterpiece!!!!

Christi Conley said...

Amazing creation!!!! Love it all :)