I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 8 October 2015

The Andy Skinner Magic!






Hello from a very grey, wet and windy Norway!  Still, I'm mostly indoors delivering workshops, so that's okay I suppose.

I'm just popping in here to share what we made at a brilliant Andy Skinner workshop in Cambridgeshire at the weekend - this is my take on the Book of Redemption.

The workshops were organised by the lovely Nina of It's Crafting Time and as well as Andy, Kate Crane and Michelle Webb were giving classes too, so there was lots of crafty activity in Harston Village Hall that day!

Nina also set up a pop-up shop, crammed with tempting crafty goodies.  The whole event was really great.










Since it's a taught class, I won't be sharing the ins and outs of how this was done, except maybe the bit on the back where we were allowed to go "freestyle"!  But if you can't get to an actual class with Andy, he does offer lots of fantastic online courses which are well worth investigating.












As always with Andy, we ended up with a very cool piece of work to take home, as well as lots of fabulous techniques and ideas to apply in our own crafting (and some leftover cogs too!).











As you can see, texture and distressing were well to the fore as usual, as well as lots of fab DecoArt paints and mediums.















Under all that fab texture, there's just some simple muslin, would you believe?!












All the cogs and gears and nuts and bolts come from Andy's new Industrial Elements release with Tando...












... a selection of cogs and gears and washers and screws of all shapes and sizes...














... not to mention the odd book plate too.  It's a big pack and should keep you going through several projects.











I really enjoyed stamping into the texture paste - something I'd been a bit wary of as I didn't want to coat my stamps in paste and not be able to get it off... but I feel confident in the technique now.











The words on the spine were done as a transfer - a technique I've played with briefly but keep meaning to do more of, so this was a great nudge.













For the back and spine I kept it simple with some spatter over a coat of Titan Buff, and then some very light washes of Raw Umber, Quinacridone Gold, Prussian Blue Hue and Payne's Gray until I was happy with how it balanced the colours on the front.












I'm very happy with the slightly mildewy look, though actual mildew on an actual book would give me conniptions!











And my favourite steampunky tissue tape forms the "pages"...














There was another optional layer to go on the cover but, even though it was text paper, I decided I didn't want to cover up my rippling sea of texture that much - I like how you can see the waves lapping behind the cogs too.










Please excuse the water droplets on some of the photos - it's not another technique, it's just rain.

When we did the class on Sunday the weather was absolutely glorious, but the next day at home there simply wasn't a break in the rain in which to get my pictures - and I had to set off to Norway at the crack of dawn the day after so I had no choice but to take some slightly damp photos!

Big thanks to Andy for another great hit of inspiration - I'm full of plans to apply all the knowledge gained as soon as I can get anywhere near my craft table again...

Thanks for stopping by today, and I'll see you soon out there in Craftyblogland.

The mediocre teacher tells.  The good teacher explains.  The superior teacher demonstrates.  The great teacher inspires.
William Arthur Ward
(I'm pretty sure I've used this one before, but it bears repeating!)

54 comments:

Helen said...

what a fabulous book, love the muslin starting point for all that texture! Hope you have a great rest of your time in Norway!

selena said...

magnifique couverture, j adore!

froebelsternchen said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Alison! Perfect!

Deborah Wainwright said...

Looks amazing Alison, love all the texture and rusty bits. I got to a class with Andy earlier in the year and it was fantastic so I know how much fun you had. Ooh want to get in the craft room now, but got to go to work Hmmmm. Take care lovely hugs Debs xx

Julia S-W said...

A wonderfully grungy, textured piece Alison. I chose to do Andy's class the day prior to yours, but the outcome, although different, was inspiring as always from this super talented teacher. I love how you kept the back 'simple'; a perfect backdrop for the front. Julia xx

Shirley said...

Lucky ole you Alison I would love to go to one of Andy's workshops. Everything is so full of grunginess in this piece of artwork.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

brenda said...

As always a lovely creation Alison and to think you were right on my doorstep for the workshop and I didn't even know it was happening.

B x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Oooh! It looks fabulous! What a lot of great texture there is and the mildew look is very clever (though, of course, a dreaded sight in real life). Lx

Astrid Maclean said...

Well I can see that that was another fantastic Andy workshop, (trying very hard not to be jealous here....). Specially taken by the effect of the stamping into texture paste! The rippled cheesecloth looks super too!

Have fun in Norway! Hope you get to see something of the country too....

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Andy really did inspire you didn't he! I've only taken one workshop of his but have seen a few demos and everytime I am amazed! This book really is special and I love the way you have matched the back! We have been seeing photos of the Northern lights in Norway on TV -have you been lucky enough? Chrisx

Rupa Swaminathan said...

This is so macho! I love the textures and the stamping on texture paste looks cool! Worth a try, I guess.

Words and Pictures said...

Unfortunately not... I'm in the far south so it's unlikely anyway, but sadly the cloud cover is heavy and low (and raining out of itself a lot), so my chances are slim to non-existent! xx

CarrieStephenson said...

Great book. Love all the texture, especially the muslin. Will have to try stamping into texture paste, the effect is stunning.

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Norway in autumn colours is such a miracle...as long as the sun will shine! Sorry to hear that the weather is not that nice right now. (our daughter lives in Norway with her family). For you I hope the rain will stop soon, so you can see the beauty too.
Your book of redemption is amazing (love that blue part especially)...again lovely details Alison!
Greetings, Alie

Neet said...

Oh Alison, you are lucky taking a class with Andy Skinner. I was booked in one but it got cancelled so there is a lot of envy here from me. Fabulous work!
Hugs, Neet xx

Lisa Minckler said...

Muslin? No way! I swore that was denim at first glance. Incredible the flow created with this design. So glad you decided not to complete the final stage of text paper. Seeing that blue texture and the title of redemption, makes me think of heading to the river for baptizing. If it wasn't 3 in the morning and I wasn't suffering from sleep deprivation, I think I would have more words to describe how MUCH this inspires. Hugs to you!!

Unknown said...

Oh my, I want this on my bookshelf! What a stunner!!! x

craftytrog said...

It looks amazing Alison! I love that crumpled fabric! xx

Monika Gulyas said...

Wow, the muslin looks just great on the book! I love that wrinkled surface! I have an old and useless muslin scarf... maybe I give it a completely new life :-DD

sam21ski said...

WOW them cogs and gears look humongous!! Fab book x

Unknown said...

Received this blog post in my email box and just had to comment on what a wonderful piece you created Alision! Lucky girl to attend one of his classes....gorgeous texture and composition...so imaginative...thank you for your inspiring post!

rachel said...

this all looks amazing alison. the texture is just brilliant and the cogs look fabulous. have a great time in norway. i wonder if you saw the aurora last night? i missed it but the footage is spectacular! hugs rachel x

chrissie said...

Amazing project..I just want to touch it the textures look so wonderful

Sorry about the weather and I hope it improves for you

Love Chrissie xx

Sandy said...

Well this came as a delightful surprise this morning! You lucky lady being in an Andy Skinner class. Neat Redemption journal - I can not see you having to be redeemed however. Stay warm and drink plenty of hot tea. Did I tell you that I love dark and rainy days.
Sandy xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE this!!! The texture is over the moon! Lucky you...I would have loved this class!

Paper Profusion said...

This looks and I'm sure feels FAN-TAS-TIC in everyway Alison. Brilliant make! Hope you get to explore some of Norway and have a super adventure. Nicola x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Oooh fab Alison, I really thought those nuts and bolts were real too! I absolutely love this, choc full of wonderful textures, sounds like a class I really must attend :)
Hope the weather improves for you
Hugs
Donna xxx

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

This is so INSPIRING! LOVE it!

Dorthe said...

Alison, being in Norway, you maybe also crossed over Denmark ? How fun ,are you teaching there ? I wish I could go, !!
Your book is stunning, wow the stamping in texture paste,-I have also not dared yet ! It looks so amaxing and so does your "waves" in blue, and wonderful ,you did not cover it up!
The spine is great too, with the text standing so strong there !!
Enjoy your time in Norway, sad the weather is so bad-
Hugs from Dorthe

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Stunning creation and I am sure this was an amazing workshop to be part of.
Stamping into texture paste always provides such great results, as witnessed on your cover and I like the image transfer on the spine.
Fabulous project!
Alison, hope the sun shines for you tomorrow in Norway.
Wishes
Lynne

Meggymay said...

Wow, a stunning creation, the workshop must have been awesome. Wish we had some classes like this in the N.E.
Yvonne xx

Juliz Design Post said...

Wow this is totally amazing. I have a wooden book box ready to take this class on line and can't wait to do now after seeing yours. Roll on his class in November too.
Julie x

experiments in paper said...

Beautiful..... you've such talent with these colors. And so glad you did not cover things up; otherwise we would miss all that stunning texture, and really - muslin? Could have sworn it was denim! Loving that mildew look - especially since it is not real, thank heavens! I hope one day to see Mr. Andy in person - but in the meantime, now that I have a bit more road under my crafty tires, I think I need to revisit the online B of R course! Thanks again for such incredible inspiration. xxx Lynn

Mrs.B said...

An amazing project, Alison, sounds like a fabulous workshop. Love the texture the muslin gives, so pleased you didn't cover that up.
Hope your weather improves and hopefully? you might have a little free time to see a bit of the area.
Avril xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Nice texture to this! And wonderful color choices. Blue and Brown go very well together.

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous book Alison! Love all texture and grunge! Great take on Andy's techniques!

Redanne said...

Norway? I must have missed that in a previous post - I wonder if you are able to catch a view of the Northern Lights then.... Your Book of Redemption is incredible Alison, I love every single detail of it. The stamping into the paste gives such a wonderful texture and the transfer technique on the spine looks fantastic. I am so looking forward to Andy's class in November!! Anne xx

Etsuko said...

Fabulous book Alison, beautiful the binding, great techniques and design. I'm just looking every part. Have a wonderful days in Norway!! xx

Julie Lee said...

Wow! This is stunning! I love the use of the muslin and the wonderful blue. The book plate looks fabulous. I too have been a bit nervous about stamping into texture paste in the past for fear of ruining my stamps. I have tried it, but always been hesitant and eager to remove the stamp too quickly. The impressions you have created are so effective. I am so impressed with this beautiful piece of work. xx

Jackie PN said...

Alison, you truly have shown all of Andy's techniques used in their glory! Your book is magical and stunning- I keep wanting to touch the textures- Yummy textures!! fabulous make !
Jackie xo
ps, you are welcome, for the offer")

Terry said...

Love your Book of Redemption, Alison! When I was looking at the fabric, I thought it was cheesecloth or a very lightweight denim. Love the texture and the pop of those gears! Had to be a great class. I need to re-look at the class of Andy's I took online! Happy Weekend!

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow.... love the gorgeous texture and embellishments! Such a beautiful creation! Alison :)

Deb said...

Gorgeous project Alison, fabulous textures and love all the steampunky cogs and bits! How wonderful to be able to take a class with Andy Skinner. Hope the rain stops soon in Norway! Deb xo

catherine said...

This really is a fabulous project you have done Alison. i would love to take a class with him one day as he is very talented. So glad you enjoyed the workshop
x catherine

Julia said...

Wow! That is a very special book. So much texture and packed with interest, it is fabulous.
Julia

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow this project looks amazing dear Alison, I love how you put some structure on your projects, and the embellishments are so beautiful!!

Have a nice artistc week!!
Greetings
Maria

Gio said...

It really deserves the adjective 'magic'! It's wonderful. How gorgeous is the texture on the front (it looks like worn denim, to me) and the rusty cogs, Superb!

Candy C said...

Fabulous book, Alison. Your blog post is super. Love all of the pics and the way you did your book. Very VERY cool!!!

Adventures in Paperland said...

I love this Alison!!! Your book looks amazing and the texture is yummy. I'm trying to hold out and not buy any more art supplies as I have plenty but you are making the temptation too great lol. Think I'll have to break down now. :)

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is wonderful, Alison, it really looks like denim, and I love the new cogs and nuts and bolts from Tando,

Lucy x

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Amazingly beautiful!!

Kirsten said...

That looks wonderful, the texture is amazing.

Ana K. said...

Muslim looks like a jeans...whole piece is stunning!

A Pink said...

Jaw droppingly Awesome! Need I say more x