I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 5 July 2015

Gone Crazy!


Okay, okay, I admit it, I caved... I bought the Bird Crazy stamp set!  Well, it just looked like everyone was having such fun with it.  And I've been having fun with it too, even though it may not be in my usual vein.

I do love to watercolour with Distress Inks but I don't have many blueprints, so when Tim's new inspiration tag for July popped up, I thought I should go a bit Bird Crazy and here's the result. (Also, we're not so much for the 4th July this side of the pond!!)

I won't go through the how-to with you.  You'd do far better to hop over and check out Tim's fantastic tag and instructions.

But, as is my wont here at Words and Pictures, I've got a few close-ups to share with you nonetheless.

As well as the crazy birds, I've been playing with some of the new Distress colours for this tag.  All those blues and greens - I'm a happy woman, and now impatiently awaiting the arrival of the new Blueprint Sketch colour in the UK.  








For now it's a combination of new and old.

We have Faded Jeans, Twisted Citron, Mowed Lawn, Peeled Paint, Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Shabby Shutters and Mermaid Lagoon all putting in an appearance... 










... not to mention the Frayed Burlap for shading.  (Oh, and I used Hickory Smoke for my stitching - hickory stitching!)

Since the birds are fairly large, I've ended up working on one of the jumbo, jumbo tags, 10.5 x 5 inches in size.









It's covered with one of the text papers from the Wallflower set.  I started out with a very full-on background from Lost and Found, but decided I'd rather let the watercolouring take centre stage.

The micro-glaze is fabulous stuff.  I nabbed some as soon as it was released, but this was really my first chance to have a play with it.  As you know, life's been a bit busy!










Happily I was able to find lots of winged words amongst the Small Talk stickers...














... one for each of our nervous flyers.















Perhaps they will take flight one of these days!














If they decide to, there are some metal wings to help them out, altered with Mushroom alcohol ink, which means they tone in with the Frayed Burlap beautifully.











I had a ball creating the stripy ribbon.  We're on blues and greens again, I'm afraid, but with such limited time at the craft table, I'm afraid I'm leaning to my favourites rather than experimenting when I do get there.

Oh, one more thing - it's not actual stitching (sewing machines and I continue on terms of enmity), but uses the stitching wheel recommended by the lovely Jenny of Pushing the Right Buttons. Then you just join up the holes with a pen.  Much easier!


You can just about see the gleam of the Glossy Accents applied to their eyes in the photos below...





There's a flurry of posts coming your way over the next few days, starting with a VERY exciting one later today (and back in a more vintage style), but I wanted to sneak this in.



It'll probably get lost in the rush, but so be it.  I had great fun making it and I wanted to share it right away.  I had such a lovely time watercolouring this characterful trio and I suspect they'll be back.

Hope you'll pop back and see all the excitement to come, but for now I'll wish you a lovely Sunday.

I'd like to enter this as my July Tag in Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2015.

And since we're in lighthearted vein...

A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His bill will hold more than his belican.
He can take in his beak
Food enough for a week,
But I'm damned if I see how the helican.
Dixon Lanier Merritt


52 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Genius! Love those crazy birds and all those glorious blues and greens. Lx

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Fabulous!! Great to see your first creation with Crazy birds, as we all are going crazy with them :) these stamps are versatile!!
Love the colors on them and beautiful addition of feathers...stitching looks great ....I liked everything here :)

brenda said...

Fabulous Alison. I keep seeing these funky birds round and about and am going to have to buy them, can't resist much longer.

B x

Helen said...

I love how you've used the Crazy Birds on this tag, it's just perfect!! Hope I am not solely to blame for you caving in for these fellas! Looking forward to the next post then...

adablog14 said...

WONDERFUL...hugs Ada

A Pink said...

Fantastic tag ! Alison 0- eyecatching ! Your watercolouring is beaut n so glad ya chose to let it take centre stage as it more than deserves to Love your chosen colour palette - my faves too . Its a winner for me :) x

Mary Elizabeth said...

So very glad you caved Alison!!! I adore what you did with the bird crazy stamps. (I'm sitting on the edge myself -- still paying of medical bills and credit cards. But I am so tempted to get these stamps :) ) Such an amazing take on Tim's tag for July. (Hmmmm -- I can most definitely see why not everyone is celebrating the 4th of July across the pond :) ) Beautiful mix of old and new colors. I seriously had to zoom in on your tag to see that your stitching was not really "stitching" . Simply awestruck by that!! I must thank Jenny and you for this wonderful idea since I am seriously sewing challenged. And what a great way to encourage us all to fly with our own creative wings. Great take on Tim's tag Alison!! And now I'm on a journey through your blog. I told you I was going to try to catch up on all that you've been doing over the last few months. Forgive me if you get a flurry of comments. -- Mary Elizabeth

Krisha said...

Darling tag Alison.........I have resisted buying those crazy birds.....so far. I think they are adorable and they made a fantastic tag........loving the greens and blues too............

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Alison, hope you're having a nice day. Love the comments you left for me. However, I am really here to look at your gorgeous tag. The Tim birds are so cute and I love the way you've used them on your tag.
Happy crafting, Angela x

Amanda said...

You can't be the only person not yo have them lol, they look fab on the tag, brilliantly coloured as well.
Love
Amanda x

Mrs.B said...

Love your crazy birds Alison - I keep thinking I'm missing all the fun not having them. Hmm might just have to give in.
Avril xx

Mrs.B said...

Love your crazy birds Alison - I keep thinking I'm missing all the fun not having them. Hmm might just have to give in.
Avril xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh! Smile, smile, smile! Your tag is so much fun -brilliant colours, but yes, like you I am hoping the Blueprint sketch gets here soon! Chrisx

Pamellia said...

Wow Alison, this is a complete delight! Best use of crazy birds EVER!! I really enjoy your take Tim's tag, you have such a fun summery theme and palette! Excellent work with the stripy ribbon!! hugs :)

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Had to laugh, reading your comment about your crazy birds, Alison...hopefully you had enough savings!!! :-)))
They also fit you so well...a great tag in stunning colours...Enjoy these stamps!!!
Greetings, Alie :-)

rachel said...

aw alison - glad you've been enjoying these stamps - and now we can all enjoy what you've done with them - your tag is fabulous!!!! Gorgeous colours! Love it! Hugs rachel xx

Julie Lee said...

You know - I really love this new departure, Alison. This is not at all the stamp i would have expected you to use, but you've created something so quirky and beautifully absurd! I love the colours you've used. Now I come to think of it, you do have quite a surreal side to your art: I recall an amazing town with moustache doodles on the faces of the houses? I love the closing poem about the pelican too. I remember reading this to my children! A lovely, fun piece! xx

chrissie said...

You and the birds are a perfect match. Wonderful colours for the backgrounds and images Alison..

Love the verse today..haven't heard it for years lol

Chrissie xx

Cestina said...

Oh I do like them - so like the ones in my shower room in the CR. And I've always loved that bit of doggerel!
xx

sally said...

They are fabulous ! A great idea for this month's tag which I won't be getting made as I'm packed & ready to go off to catch the ferry in Hull.....next stop champagne land & then the Alps :-)

Sally

Neet said...

You keep using my favourite colour combo - just love it and boy oh boy it looks great used here. I love those little guys too but so far I haven't caved in - what's the odds on me doing so now I have seen this.
Fab tag!
Hugs, Neet xx

sam21ski said...

Fabulous tag Alison, loving your images xxx

Juliz Design Post said...

Brilliant take on Tim's tag, love these birds.
Julie x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Yay, glad you've finally succumbed to the bird crazy mania Alison! Absolutely luscious tag in your trademark scrummy blues and greens ;)
Big hugs
Donna xxx

Meggymay said...

Fabulous the tag with the quirky birds, bet it was hard to hold out getting this set, they are so addictive.
Yvonne

Redanne said...

Oh Alison, if the crazy birds were not enough, you have to add the funny poem! The crazy birds always make me smile and I just LOVE how you used them for your tag. Absolutely fantastic! Anne xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Such great fun!
Wishes
Lynne

Inkypinkycraft said...

I have to admit i have bought them too - even though like you they are not my typical thing...love what you have created with them here and a great quirky take on Tim's tag x

scrappallino said...

I love your interpretation of the tag, I love these crazy birds and the colors you used are absolutely perfect! Amazing!

Ruth said...

Such a great take and using your trademark colours....fun and fabulous! Ruth x

Deborah said...

Hehe love your take on the crazy birds.

Marci said...

You certainly did them justice! Love the colors!

Marci said...

You certainly did them justice! Love the colors!

LauraVi said...

What a brilliant use of those beautiful stamps: love love your July tag!

Kay Wallace said...

I can only imagine how huge this tag really is, Alison, as I know those bird stamps are big! A beautiful "Tim Tag" and that usual touch of Alison. Love it, my friend!

bkazoo said...

This is fantastic, Great color choices

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous little trio Alison - They are just the cutest things xx

Kelly said...

I am a bird nut, have a few of these, love the way you put them on the tag and the colors. Love them!
Hugs Kelly

Corrie Herriman said...

Totally fabulous interpretation of Tim's tag... (I am on the wrong side of the pond too!)
Corrie x

Unknown said...

Heheheheh - smiling so big. I wonder if we will ever grow tired of seeing these amazing birds???!!! Yours are PERFECT Alison - you totally gave them a whole new life!! LOVE them. j.

Christi Conley said...

I recently splurged on the birds myself and I am having a BLAST playing with them :) Adore how you chose each bird for each sentiment :)

Unknown said...

This is my new favourite stamp set! I absolutely love what you've done on your tag. Genius!

~~julia~~

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow wow wow - I love this tag, just FANTASTIC.

sara j said...

They are so dang cute.....I picked your tag out of all of them on Tim's blog. When I saw it was yours I just laughed. Still drawn to your work. Haven't blogged for ages....moving in a different direction, but I must say i do like the birds. I might just have to get them myself!

Unknown said...

Such a FUN take on Tim's July tag, Alison!! :) Oh these birds are a nervous bunch aren't they?! I have yet to 'cave' in to these stamps, they are quite a popular bunch of images and right up my goofy alley--maybe one day I will give in to them, too ;) :) Oh, and I quite understand why the UK doesn't 'celebrate' the 4th of July...considering the history of the UK losing the original 13 colonies and all in that big war back in the 1770's....!!! :) :) LOL!! Sorry, but you brought it up! LOL :) :) But really--Just a fabulously fun tag, Alison!! Good luck over at Tim's challenge!! XOXO-Shari

Kasia said...

:) I love these birds! So funny tag :) Cool!

Deb said...

Those crazy birds make me smile each and every time I see them and your interpretation of Tim's July tag is brilliant! Thanks for making me smile Alison :o)

Elaine said...

I'm still resisting those crazy birds!! Love your take on Tim's tag and the birds are so beautifully coloured.

Dunja Trautmann said...

The crazy birds are everywhere this time :) and i have to say, i love them more and more. Thinking about to buy them myself :))

Big Hugs! Dunja xx

craftytrog said...

How did I miss this beauty! Great take on Tim's tag Alison! xox

Sandy said...

Well let's jut say - if you are up in the air and you forget how to fly - you will surly crash!! The more I see these wonky birds the more I love them. From one old bird to another. Wait a minute, you are still a chick!!!!!
sandy xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful work! I love your Bird Crazy tag! Isn't it a fabulous stamp set?!?!