I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 1 September 2014

The Spirits of Trees

Hello for the second time today!  If you're looking for my Country View Crafts Nautical make,just click the link, but now it's time for the September challenge theme at Our Creative Corner, and my inspiration offering for you.


The brilliant Claudia (die amelie) is offering us a beautiful photo grid of inspiration, and my team-mates have created the usual array of amazing work to get your Mojo flowing.


Do hop over and take a look, and you'll find all the challenge details and rules too.  Do read them carefully to qualify for the prize from our sponsor this month, Tando Creative.





The first thing that caught my eye was the fabulous glowing translucence of those leaves in the centre.

The attempt to capture something of that effect was the starting point for my little hanging.











My leaves are made from leftover packaging acetate which I tinted with a combination of alcohol ink and translucent acrylic paints.

Frescos and DecoArt paints were involved - I forget exactly what colours now...











Then I stamped one of Tim Holtz's Falling Leaves in Forest Green Staz-On several times, and cut them out.  Heating the acetate means you can shape and curl the leaves for extra interest.









The foundation for the hanging is some pieces of driftwood, courtesy of Calico Crafts.  They're picking up on the gnarly bark in the photo grid.

I gave all of them a wash of white paint to highlight some of the textures in my somewhat smoother wood.











The glossy blue-black berries also caught my attention.  I didn't have any dark berries, so I raided my jar of Christmas berries and gave some red ones a makeover.













As well as Little Black Dress, Eggplant and Pea Coat (the old translucent version) Frescos, I added a coat of Gloss Glaze to get a good shine on them.













I also loved the twisty twirly stems in the top left of the grid, so I used leftover flower stems to twine my hanging together.









I almost always use just the flower heads, so I have an envelope full of the green wired stems ready for their moment.

And that moment finally arrived...  The twirly wires not only hold the hanging up; they also curl in and out of the berry clusters.












The words are from another favourite e.e. cummings poem (you can see it in full below - and catch more e.e. cummings with my Beachcombing Printers Tray!).

That light in the leaves and the energy of the curling stems and the gloss of the berries all seem to be full of the spirits of trees, so the line was going around my head as I was making this.







The glossy blue-green cogs are actually stolen from a dismantled past creation.  They were made with lots of Distress Paint and have a thick coat of Gloss Glaze on them.

I guess it was that glossiness which made me think they'd be a good addition here - catching the light as the berries and leaves do.





So that's my little hanging for you.  Do hop over to see what Claudia's fabulous photo grid inspired the rest of the team to create, and we hope you'll be inspired to play too.


Don't forget there's also my Nautical Box for the new Country View Challenges theme to check out, and if you missed my Calico Woodcuts it would be lovely if you had a moment for them too!  Happy September Crafting everyone!

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun’s birthday; this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any–lifted from the no
of all nothing–human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

e.e. cummings (all punctuation and spacing, or non-punctuation and non-spacing, is intentional)

50 comments:

Karin said...

Love your Spirit of Trees, it's beautiful and a great poem too!
Groetjes Karin

Helen said...

oh my word, that's beautiful!! i love the berries, simply wonderful transformation, the red seem so boring now!!

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful project Alison, the gorgeous elements on the wood give a real feel to being in the outdoors and back to nature. The leaves are amazing and so life like.
Have a great week.
hugs Brenda xx

brenda said...

Absolutely delightful Alison, I am always drawn to anything Nature inspired.

Sorry for lack of visits, it's taken me a week or so to get back into the groove after our hols.

B x

Amanda said...

Wow! Your leaves are stunning!! Added to a beautiful make. What a beautiful little hanging and love the words from the poem.
Love
Amanda x

Shirley said...

Who can make bits of twigs and wood look so elegant ... Alison of course.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

You are so Talented!

Chrissy said...

Fantastic Alison..I love the leaves and colours and the berries and vines...such a fabulous project.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Cestina said...

Oh lovely - and very reminiscent of the mound of switzen plums I turned into jam yesterday! And another great cummings....

(Though I am sad Claudia omitted the fungi, there must be some in the Wienerwald!)
xx

May said...

Gorgeous creation Alison, Love the leaves & berries...The poem is beautiful... Hugs May x x

craftytrog said...

I love those words Alison, and the leaves & berries look fabulous, so real!
Alison xxx

sally said...

Great piece, great poem! Those cogs & berries really got my attention :-)

Sally

Claudia N. said...

I am so happy to see what you did with my photo inspiration, Alison!

It's perfect - I love the leaves, the berries, the wood...well, everything actually. lol.

Hugs,
Claudia xx

chrissie said...

Wonderful 'word' to go with this terrific piece. You always use wood in such beautiful ways Alison and bring out it's 'spirit'.

Love Chrissie x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

I'm loving the rustic natural look! Beautiful hanging and the acetate leaves look so life like! Beautiful, just beautiful! xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous interpretation of the original photograph Alison, such wonderful use of the driftwood pieces, the altered berries look great too and give it all a real pop. Love the poem too, perfect for this piece and the time of year......

Julia S-W said...

As you know, I LOVE driftwood and I think you have used it so beautifully here Alison. Great minds think alike on the leaves although we both chose different techniques for them. Love the curly green wire - nice change from the rusty version which I can't seem to stop using! Off to read the poem now.
Julia xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Great driftwood alteration Alison...love the natural look of the piece in total!
greetings, Alie :-)

Redanne said...

There is something almost magical about driftwood and I love the pieces you have used but for me the berries and leaves take centre stage, I just love the pops of colour against the gorgeous smooth driftwood... Anne xx

Cardgenie said...

Alison, this hanging is gorgeous! I love the berries and had to look twice at the leaf - it looks so real!! Fabulous - thanks for the inspiration. Jean.x

sam21ski said...

Loving the wood xxx

rachel said...

this is just beautiful alison - the green leaves are amazing - love them! hugs rachel x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I'm loving the way you have interpreted the photos, very clever.
Happy crafting, Angela x

Hettie said...

This is beautiful Alison. I just love the rusticity of it and the berries are just inspired but they look so real. Well done you.
Hugs
Hettie
PS Thanks for your mammoth visit. I hope you had a coffee. I would have made you one if I had known you were coming!
xx

cathylynn said...

Your Spirit of the Trees hanging is awesome!!! I love it all and thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Dorthe said...

A beautiful piece, dear Alison,
how wonderful with the driftwood as bace and love those leaves you created, and the berries, now in autumn tones .
A gorgeous little sign !!
Hugs,Dorthe

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love how you use wood like this!!! The leaves are absolutely stunning and look so real! Kudos!!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful! The leaves look exactly as though they have been in the sun all Summer with the berries ripening alongside them! This really is wonderful Alison - who'dathought that Drift wood could look this good! Chrisx

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, the leaves & berries look wonderful.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Just fantastic - so many wonderful details. A great piece of art.

Julie Lee said...

What a beautiful project. I love those translucent leaves - what a great idea to use the packaging acetate. And the berries look wonderful. I've been thinking lately how well the poetry of e e cummings goes with art and craft projects and this one is just perfect to accompany your glorious creation! Julie Ann xxx

Juliz Design Post said...

This is a real eye catcher and those leaves are totally amazing, love the transparent look you have captured in them. Stunning.
Julie x

Marci said...

Love your leaves! I read a lot of e e cummings when I was very young. Think I need to go back and read again. This poem goes so well with your project.

Jenny Marples said...

Great ideas here including the makeover on the berries. I could see this at home in any vineyard. Jenny x

Gio said...

OMG! I can feel the smell of Autumn and woods. So inspired!

massofhair said...

Genius as always, amazing interpretation of the challenge. Your style is instantly recognisable and always appealing :-) xxx

Paper Profusion said...

Terrific take on photo inspiration Alison. Love your altered berries and those leaves look brilliantly realistic. Hope all is going splendidly for you. Nicola x

Ana K. said...

Gorgeous make, Alison!

Nan G said...

Wow so cool and beautiful!

Terry said...

Stunning hanging, Alison! Love those leaves, love them! Hope you are enjoying NY!

barbarayaya62 said...

Alison I looked at the work that you've published for past two weeks during my holiday! I comment only in this post but to tell you that they are all really fabulous! You are a very talented artist! BArbarayaya

Cocofolies said...

This is fabulous Alison, I love your inspiration and the treatment you have made on the leaves and the berries, absolutely amazing!!! A wonderful Spirit of Trees, you rock the challenge as usual! Hugs, Coco xxx

Dianne said...

Oh Miss Alison only you could ad the cogs with the natural thing together and make it FABULOUSSSS, I love every tiny bit of it, thanks for sharing and hope your having a fantastic time in the US, ((( BIG HUGS )))..

Almo said...

This is a beautiful project Alison I love the leaves they are so realistic and the berries and twine against the driftwood capture the whole theme perfectly. Mo x

Tincan Crafter said...

I love the berry makeover Alison! Thanks for stopping by my blog ever so faithfully. I am grateful for the kind comments. It is awesome to see what everyone has come up with from that lovely image collage. Yours is gorgeous as always.

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous hanging, love those leaves, such a fabulous finish.
Avril xx

S@ndy Diller said...

Great project Alison - You are one busy girl and everything you do is simply amazing. Great work.

Pamellia said...

Wow, I don't even know where to start! I just realized that my mouth has been hanging open for the last several minutes as I combed through the post! This is just amazing!! The wood, the leaves, the gears, the berries, all of it! Simply a masterpiece and a wonderful take of the photo! :)

Jackie PN said...

Alison! How perfect for Autumn- and your saying- great find!!
I love the photo of you and Marjie scouring the flea markets!! Such great fun!!
Are you working with the actors on their speech and dialect,voice coaching, or something else for the production? Are you in it?!! I love hearing about your work! Let me know if you do a write up or post somewhere!!
Glad you are enjoying NY! huge hugs to you! xo

Kezzy said...

WOW WOW WOW truly gorgeous, amazing hanging. I love the translucent leaves and the berries are awesome and they all look fantastic on the wood. Another challenge I wish I could have entered lol. I also love the cogs, initially I though you had used embossing powder wow. Happy Creating :-) Kezzy xxx