I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 11 July 2014

Dreaming of Die-Cutting






Hello all!  It's time for the new challenge theme over at A Vintage Journey.

This fortnight our host is the fabulous Annie of Curious & Crafty Treasures and she'd like to see Dies and Distress.

As usual there's lots of lovely inspiration from my fabulous team mates, so do check it out.

After a double blue/green frenzy we're back to an autumnal feel with this die-cutting creation, or neutrals at least in any case.

If you missed my blue/green PaperArtsy make or the Artistic Stamper doodly tags, I'd love it if you had a chance to check them out - it's been a crazy 24 hours here at Words and Pictures!













I started with my favourite corrugated cardboard and a plan to use the first die I ever bought which was the Tim Holtz Vintage Lace Decorative Strip Die (and it's probably my most-used too).













I gave the cardboard a rough coat of Picket Fence Distress Paint and stamped the lovely vintage PostCard stamp several times in Potting Soil Archival.










The focal image for the hanging is one of the Found Relatives pictures from Idea-ology.















I used an On the Edge die on the photo, top and bottom.











The Ornate border on the photo echoes one of the other dies I chose to work with, the fabulous Frameworks Lattice - a new favourite.











I grabbed a background tag I had hanging around from my Memento Mori discards to cut the Frameworks.  I stamped the small version of the ornate alphabet included in the Merchantile stamp set before cutting the Lattice.














I also cut some of the same pattern out of plain book pages which I inked with Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain.











The final piece of the puzzle in die-cutting terms is the addition of the Tattered Doily On the Edge die, cut from the same tag with the fancy lettering on it.

That's been layered up with the die-cut photo and the Vintage Lace, all nice and inky round the edges of course.












You'll see I added some more of the real leaves - like on the Autumn Flowerings hanging, a sort of companion piece to this one - and gave them a dusting of Picket Fence DP too.











All the metal pieces have also been slightly altered using the Picket Fence - giving a dusty aged look.

There's the clock...






A Muse Token, positioned carefully over some of the latticework pieces...














And the ornate keyhole, again echoing the Lattice shapes...












The little number brad... and next to each of the metal pieces I glued a few industrial brads as extra decoration.

I think they add a nice extra metallic touch.













The sentiment is stamped in Potting Soil over a whitewashed book page, and mounted over the photo on foam pads.











Finally, a bit of linen ribbon will do the job when I come to hang this up somewhere.

I hope that gives you some ideas for using your Dies and Distress products.  

You'll find lots more inspiration from my amazing team-mates over at A Vintage Journey, as well as the exact details of Annie's challenge to you.  I do hope you'll be able to come and play over the next fortnight.

Thanks so much for dropping in - hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Eleanor Roosevelt













Since my blue/green PaperArtsy project only had a few hours to itself on the blog, I'm just going to do another quick plug for it here... After all that work, I'd hate it to get lost in the chaos!

Hop now or forever hold your peace!!


63 comments:

Almo said...

You have chosen a gorgeous collection of dies Alison to make this lovely hanging. The addition of the real leaves, linen ribbon and the slightly altered metal elements totally compliment the rustic look of the project. Mo x

S@ndy Diller said...

Alison - this is so amazing. A lovely take on the theme and so soft and thoughtful.

Terry said...

Alison, again you have wowed us with a beautiful vintage hanging! I love the neutral color palette and the images are as sweet as can be. Love this! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

O'h Alison! What a beautiful piece. The selection of dies is wonderful and how you also used one on the found relatives....I love that idea. The composition of the frameworks dies is amazing. I love every inch of it. Just brilliant! Karen.x

Marci said...

I like how you used all three dies. Beautiful!

Nan G said...

You rocked the vintage with this piece, Alison! Fab use if the dies with a touch of metal for accent. Wow!

Helen said...

Beautiful, Alison - love all the co-ordinating die shapes, and the colours are perfect. Love it!!

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW Alison wonderful, so lovely.

Hugs
Anke

Anneke said...

Brilliant and very inspiring. Fabulous.
Thanks for showing Anneke.

Annie said...

A truly inspiring vintage make Alison......Great colour combination and wonderful layout. TFS and crafty hugs
Annie x

Brenda Brown said...

Such a beautiful and delightful piece Alison. This has so much gorgeous vintage charm from the found relatives to the lace and doily, from the metal elements to the natural leaves. I love all the textures and layers, you did a great job. xx

chrissie said...

A magical vintage piece Alison. The real leaves look wonderful and add so much texture

Love Chrissie x

Inkypinkycraft said...

Alison this piece is gorgeous. I love the soft neutrals and this shows them off so well and so effectively! A really gorgeous and delicate piece x

Ruth said...

A feast for the eyes, loving all the details, the brown palette is so rich, it's absolutely GORGEOUS!

Deborah said...

You've made a beautiful frame for your little 'relatives', Alison. The real leaves are a brilliant touch.

Dagmar said...

What a fantastic work you have done - it's so beautiful and i love all the details ! Hugs Dagmar

Regina said...

I've no words to describe how wonderful this is! Th♥nks for sharing!
Regina*

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is beautiful and I love the dies you have chosen,

Lucy x

Dorthe said...

Alison, it is so very beautiful, LOVE it, all the dies you used are beautiful, and romantic here with the sweet image of the kids, and the real leaves is a wonderful add.
Happy friday dear.
Dorthe,xo

craftytrog said...

So much beautiful detail Alison! Both are lovely! xxx

Redanne said...

Oh my, this has such a wonderful dreamy quality to it Alison. It has such a wonderful vintage feel and I love the combination of dies you have used, especially the doily. A truly beautiful hanging. Anne xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Lovely dies and mixed media...great layers. All together such a clever creation Alison!
Greetings, Alie

Unknown said...

The detail put into this piece is fabulous Alison!! Great composition as usual, another stunning make, love it! Chris xxx

Jenny Marples said...

A vintage gem Alison. What a fabulous way to combine these die cuts. Love it. Jenny x

rachel said...

a stunning make Alison - the dies you have used are wonderful and I adore the muted tones - great image too - fabulous as always xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Beautiful vintage hanger Alison, great use of those dies and lovely to see those sweet little girls take centre stage!

ElizabethR said...

This is just gorgeous Alison, love the lace strip die I haven't seen that before. Elizabeth xxx

Nikki Acton said...

So much to look at and explore in this piece, I love it. I found myself looking at all your little details and there are loads - your attention to detail is amazing! Inspirational. Nikki xx

massofhair said...

Gobsmackingly gorgeous :-) xxx

Kelly said...

This one is so breathtaking! I love the embellishing you have on this hanging. It is full of artistic fun. Gorgeous design Alison!
Hugs Kelly

Kay Wallace said...

You have reached in with your art today and tugged at my heart, Alison!

Dianne said...

WOWZER this is die cut heaven it really SO beautiful, the texture is fantastic, all the details, amazing, your real leaves, the perfect addition, thanks so much for all this inspiration, I came to visit for exactly that, I've been in a funk and can't get motivated, I knew visiting you would give me my fix :O). have a wonderful weekend... ((( BIG HUGS )))

maria's knutselplezier said...

Two great projects dear Alison, you are so good in making these beautiful ART things, I love the one with the girls a lot but I prefer the PaperArtsy project just because of the colours of couse (you know me!!) It's always a party, looking at your blog and admire your projects, thanks for sharing all these beauties!!

Have a wonderful weekend
Greetings
Maria

Cardgenie said...

Alison, this is lovely. You could look at this for ages and still see something different! What a lovely use of your embellishments. Fab!! Jean.x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

So beautiful Alison! I love the die-cut background and the soft grungy look. So beautifully executed! xx

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous vintage hanger Alison..love the photo for a start..and love the die cuts and and metal details and love the real leaves..gorgeous.Hope you have a wonderful weekend too.

luv CHRISSYxx

Unknown said...

Well Alison... you have done it AGAIN... it is wonderfully delightful in all ways... love it all.. all the little details of love and the little pieces here and there... all are so very delightful in all ways... love it greatly... thanks so much for all you share... Love, Light and peace...Bonnie

pearshapedcrafting said...

So.........you take some dies, some stamps a vintage photo, some bits of metal, paint and real leaves and make this wonderful creation - only if you are a magic butterfly!! Alison this is wonderful! Chrisx

Julie Lee said...

What a beautiful creation! I love how you have used the dies on this - the lace and the lattice dies look just superb. The 'Found Relatives' image goes perfectly with this hanging! It's all completely lovely! Julie Ann xxx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful piece with great vintage feeling.

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous and inspirational, love all the details.
Yvonne

Paper Profusion said...

I just love your muted colour scheme Alison, so perfect for vintage. Youve included lots of Th yummy diecuts and placed them beautifully in this gorgeius design. Have a lovely weekend. Nicola x

cathylynn said...

I totally love this beauty! Great vintage piece with gorgeous details and warm color tones. Great combination of dies with the lovely images. Perfect!!!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Cocofolies said...

A very gorgeous vintage project, but my heart really goes to your last wonderful creation for PaperArtsy, amazing!!! Hugs, Coco xx

Von said...

Love them both Alison especially the blue and green :)
Von ♥

sam21ski said...

Fantastic as always xxx

Juliz Design Post said...

Oh Alison, I adore this. Your colours, choice of dies and embellishments is just soo perfect.
Julie x

Jools Robertson said...

Adorable autumnal colours, love all the different die cuts with the scripts
The dies cuts against the textured backgrounds are just divine
incredibly beautiful and elegant

Jools x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

PINNED!!! A new favorite! SO SO SO GORGEOUS!!!

Deborah Wainwright said...

Wow so much lovely scrummyness. You have used a fabulous range of dies and the colours look fantastic. So much texture and the elements? I live it xxx

Hettie said...

Now this really is a beautiful piece to ease your eyes. I just love the softness of this piece. That new trellis die is one of my latest favourites too having played with one at the Crop and then being lucky enough to receive one for my birthday.
I think my TH lace die is my most used too!
Hugs
xx

Netty said...

oh wow this so beautiful and love the diecuts you used Alison, hugs Annette x

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, Alison! Your attention to all of the small details is fabulous! As AVJ Creative Guide, this could be one of my fav inspiration pieces you've made!! I'm smitten :) XOXO-Shari

Julia Aston said...

This is SO lovely Alison! I love the painted stripped corrugated cardboard base - and your die cut edges - all over! but particularly on the top and bottom of the photo what marvelous layers and attachments on this - I have that lace die and I have hardly used it - I can see that I have to use my things more!! thanks for this marvelous inspiration!

Matilde said...

Fabulous, Alison! :)

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I really like this with the neutrals and you know I'm a huge blue and green fan, but sometimes you have to step away from them. Just love this! So many great trinkets to look at.

Margaret said...

You've put those dies to good use on your beautiful, vintage piece! I love the various metal pieces and that photo is fantastic!

Gio said...

Amazing! Love all the die-cut details, the layering and the picture, along with the metallic bits. A vintage heaven!

Anonymous said...

Just stunning Alison. Will be catching up with all your other works of art.

scrappymo! said...

The dies are fabas is your project. I really like the die strip where you removed the elements and reused them on the page.
Great texture and contrast here...it loooks wonderful!!!

Julia said...

Vintage lace die cut book pages - very, very nice! There are so many dies used on this project, it is wonderful.
Julia

Marjie Kemper said...

Oooh lah lah! So many gorgeous details on this, and I love all the creamy colors. A beauty!

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow absolutely awesome stunning vintage make.I love the dies you used, especially with the vintage feel. You do neutral colours so well, love the way those die cuts enhance the overall piece. Of course I didn't miss you paperartsy post, my favourite artist working with my favourite company equals bliss with lots of oooo's and ahhhhh's and a whole lot of inspiration :-) Kezzy xxxxx